It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6th Round pick Sutton Smith Edge N. Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:31 pm 

Smith was named the Missouri Large School Player of the Year as a senior running back (more than 2,000 rushing yards, 32 total touchdowns) but received no FBS offers except from Northern Illinois. It did not take long for Huskies coaches to discover that his place was on defense. Smith played in all 12 games as a reserve pass rusher as a redshirt freshman (15 tackles, two for loss, one sack) and then utterly dominated his competition over the next two years. He was a consensus All-American in 2017, as well as a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation's best defensive end and the MAC Defensive Player of the Year. He set a school record and led the FBS with 2.3 tackles for loss per game (29.5 total), ranked third in the country with 1.08 sacks per game (14), also finishing with 63 total tackles, three passes defensed, and three fumbles forced. Smith's production continued in 2018, again being named a Ted Hendricks Award finalists, earning multiple All-American awards, and receiving MAC Defensive Player of the Year honors. In 14 starts he posted 61 tackles and finished among the nation's leaders with 26.5 tackles for loss, 15 sacks, three forced fumbles, and two blocked kicks.

Post subject: Re: 6th Round pick Sutton Smith Edge N. Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:39 pm 

I think we are going to love him on teams, and eventually as sub-package LB.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:40 pm 

Looks like a high motor kid. I hope he can play teams, short term...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:42 pm 

Not an OLB by any stretch of the imagination at the next level.

They'll try him on the inside, to see if he can move Matakavich off the roster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:25 pm 

Dig the player. Hopefully his production translates.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:00 pm 

Where is he going to play ILB?
That would make 4 players that are basically the same, 3 taken in the same draft??
Bush
Sutton
Gilbert
Barron
WTF??
Unless they plan to dump Vince Williams next season doesn’t make sense, but if they plan to dump Williams I’m good with that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:35 pm 

I think the Steelers view Sutton as an OLB/Edge. He's not exactly puny height wise. Plenty of edge guys have been on the shorter side...Deebo, Dumervil, Graham, Robert Mathis.

The difference between them and Sutton though is weight. Sutton will have to bulk up a bit to hold the edge. He's got great explosion, very nice bend, good hand technique. He's very impressive. But, I think he'll have to get stronger to play 3-4 OLB. I think it is possible.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:53 pm 

franco32 wrote:
I think the Steelers view Sutton as an OLB/Edge. He's not exactly puny height wise. Plenty of edge guys have been on the shorter side...Deebo, Dumervil, Graham, Robert Mathis.

The difference between them and Sutton though is weight. Sutton will have to bulk up a bit to hold the edge. He's got great explosion, very nice bend, good hand technique. He's very impressive. But, I think he'll have to get stronger to play 3-4 OLB. I think it is possible.

He gets buried by OT in college when he did not beat them to the edge. I hope he sticks with ST and gains some weight and muscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:53 pm 

No idea if he'll stick....but his highlight reel is sure as shit fun to watch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:15 pm 

Guy could be a special teams ace in year one. Non stop motor.

Perfect type of 6th round pick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:15 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
No idea if he'll stick....but his highlight reel is sure as shit fun to watch

I bet he ends up a wrecking ball on ST. He might be Bince Williams crazy. The highlight reel is very fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:17 pm 

Could he be a Jerry Olsavsky?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:27 pm 

jebrick wrote:
franco32 wrote:

He gets buried by OT in college when he did not beat them to the edge. I hope he sticks with ST and gains some weight and muscle

Jeb when edges don't win it doesn't matter if they get "buried" or "just miss". It is his run fits that tell me right now no way can play OLB. Situational pass rusher against some utter dross teams put out at RT? Yeah might be worth a shot. Special teams is where he will earn his money, same with kid from Akron. Teams need investment of fast young players with upside. I remember Special teams in 99 and 2000. They were stocked with young fast, hungry players, like Joey, Haggans, Hines and others.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:43 pm 

steelclan wrote:
jebrick wrote:
franco32 wrote:

Jeb when edges don't win it doesn't matter if they get "buried" or "just miss". It is his run fits that tell me right now no way can play OLB. Situational pass rusher against some utter dross teams put out at RT? Yeah might be worth a shot. Special teams is where he will earn his money, same with kid from Akron. Teams need investment of fast young players with upside. I remember Special teams in 99 and 2000. They were stocked with young fast, hungry players, like Joey, Haggans, Hines and others.

But he has zero sand in his pants. He is pass rush only. That is why I hope he is moved to off ball LB.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:24 pm 

Smith is off ball, sub package or ST only. Front office is kidding themselves if they honestly believe his game can hold up against NFL OTs. Only edge play Smith is seeing from here on out is from his girlfriend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:41 am 

I'm not so quick to write him off at OLB. He has fantastic explosion and bend off the edge. 6.75 three cone. I don't want to waste that.

At the combine, TJ Watt weighed 236 I believe. Smith was 233 and played a little more than that. Sutton is also strong as an ox. 25 reps in the bench although he says he can do 31.

What he is lacking is length. The question for me is can all of his other great measurables make up for that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 am 

franco32 wrote:
I'm not so quick to write him off at OLB. He has fantastic explosion and bend off the edge. 6.75 three cone. I don't want to waste that.

At the combine, TJ Watt weighed 236 I believe. Smith was 233 and played a little more than that. Sutton is also strong as an ox. 25 reps in the bench although he says he can do 31.

What he is lacking is length. The question for me is can all of his other great measurables make up for that?

I like the pick. We need more of our back roster filled with players like him. He'll be a heat seeking, guided (=very good above the neck) missile.

Side note - I'd be :shock: if TJ Watt was 236 at the combine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 am 

DP39 wrote:
franco32 wrote:

I like the pick. We need more of our back roster filled with players like him. He'll be a heat seeking, guided (=very good above the neck) missile.

Side note - I'd be :shock: if TJ Watt was 236 at the combine.

Watt was 252 at the combine. The numbers of the tests are close to Sutton. Sutton is less explosive ( as measured by BJ and VJ) but has about the same speed and agility.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/t.j ... id=2558064

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:17 pm 

You guys are right. I think I misread an article that was referring to him his junior or senior year. I know he did play lighter at Wisconsin, but he's 250 now.

That said, Sutton says he plays at 240 for what that is worth. The big question is can he hold the point of attack and can he generate a bull rush. He's shorter and that gives him leverage advantages but we'll have to see.

As a 6th rounder, if he is a special teams demon and situational pass rusher, that is still a big big win.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm 

franco32 wrote:
You guys are right. I think I misread an article that was referring to him his junior or senior year. I know he did play lighter at Wisconsin, but he's 250 now.

That said, Sutton says he plays at 240 for what that is worth. The big question is can he hold the point of attack and can he generate a bull rush. He's shorter and that gives him leverage advantages but we'll have to see.

As a 6th rounder, if he is a special teams demon and situational pass rusher, that is still a big big win.

Watching his highlights, he has the look of a Kendrell Bell to me. Smith is PHYSICAL AS FUCK and blazing fast getting to the QB.

I just don't believe they have plans to turn this kid into an OLB. Maybe situationally as a pass rusher, but I would love to see this motherfucker blitzing up the middle or transitioning to an ILB spot.

Whenever I watch him, this kid reminds me an absolute ton of Kendrell Bell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:55 pm 

Smith will not be an OLB in this league. He is simply not big enough to hold the edge in running game.

With that out of the way time to focus on what I think he can be.

One thing you get with Smith? Leadership and a real fire no matter the score or situation in a game. He simply refuses to give up. Yes, yes that doesn't automatically translate into speed, instincts and play making but it is infectious. What do I mean by this?

In MAC championship game v Buffalo. NIU was getting pasted 29 to 10. NIU's defense was sucking wind. They hadn't forced Buffalo to punt going into the 3rd quarter. Then Smith took over. He willed his D to take control and they did. Smith had TFLs, sacks, pressures and began to get double teamed on every play opening up opportunities for team mates.

NIU came back and won 30 to 29.

The reason why I think this is important? Special teams has been shut your eyes hope nothing fucks up for far to long with this team. It has gifted field position to other teams and continually put PS offense and defense in a hole. Smith can go a long way to solving this.

If he shows well enough in TC and pre-season I'd make him ST captain straight away. He has the potential to make STs a strength which we haven't seen since the days of Joey, Hines and Clark Haggans.

Outside of teams? Situational pass rusher if he proves he can utilize his speed & bend in camp & pre season. I don't see him as a LBer in PS scheme. In a 4-3 yes as an off the ball LBer. In 3-4? Tough to see maybe others can envision a role as a big box safety but not much to go on with his tape reference coverage.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:56 am 

As often as this team blitzes their ILBs from the interior it isn't hard to imagine that Sutton Smith could really excel at that in this defense. Sub package football he lines up inside at ILB and then is able to use that speed and quickness and bend to overwhelm a RB/FB or TE or G to get sacks.

If Vince Williams and Lawrence Timmons can have 8 and 7 sacks, if Kendrell Bell can have 9 sacks in a season is it hard to imagine what Bush and Sutton could do blitzing from the interior?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:43 am 

Quote:
Why you should be excited about sixth-round pick Sutton Smith:

He can rush the passer: Smith, 6-foot and 233 pounds, amassed 56 tackles for a loss and 30 sacks in three seasons at Northern Illinois, including 54 tackles for a loss and 29 sacks in the last two seasons. Smith’s 15 sacks in 2018 tied for the FBS lead.

He’s decorated: Smith was a 2018 first-team AP All-American and the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and 2018.

He endeavors to get to the ball or the backfield by in a hurry: Smith characterized his approach as “basically trying to be the biggest problem an offense can try and go up against. So I just try and go out there and play as fast as I can and never give up. Even if the play is like 40 yards away from me, I’m going to try and track it down and just play as fast as I can.”

He’s athletic: Smith’s 6.75 in the three-cone drill at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine compared favorably to Devin Bush (6.93) and Ryan Shazier in 2014 (6.91).

He’s potentially versatile: Smith, for the most part, was a stand-up defensive end the past two seasons at Northern Illinois. He said he’s talked initially with the Steelers about playing “a little inside backer, rush the passer, a little bit of everything, just anywhere that I can be productive.”

He’ll bring it from wherever he lines up: “I play with a lot of heart and a lot of aggression and speed, so wherever I end up, wherever I play, I’m just going to give it 110 percent,” Smith said. “I’m not going to look back. I just have to be a hard-nosed player, and that’s what I’m going to be.

“My path is to fight, and that’s all I know how to do is fight. And I’m going to do everything I can to prove to people that I can be an NFL player, that I can do whatever they need me to do, and I’m not going to be selfish. I’m just going to try and help the team in any way that I can.”

He’s already shown the Steelers a potential affinity for special teams: “We are excited about his special teams capability, watched him close down in Mobile (at the Senior Bowl) in that area,” head coach Mike Tomlin said of Smith. “This is a conversion guy, a guy that played defensive end. So, their abilities to display their special teams talents and play like linebackers is important. We got a first-hand sampling of that watching him work in Mobile.”

Added General Manager Kevin Colbert: “He's got a great motor. At the Senior Bowl, they actually worked him inside, as an inside linebacker. That's exciting from a special teams-capable player.”

He’s excelled against top-tier competition: “I think that one of the tapes that stood out about Sutton Smith was the multiple-sack game he had against Florida State,” Tomlin said.

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-s-got-a-great-motor

I think both these players are instant upgrades to ST's and are both very similar as far as measurables. Both had decent prodays/combines and play with great motivation and passion. Like two peas in a pod. I think these two players make the roster somehow.

Quote:
Why you should be excited about sixth-round pick Ulysees Gilbert:

He’s productive: Gilbert, a 6-foot, 224-pound inside linebacker, had a combined nine sacks in 2016 and 2017 at Akron. He registered five of those sacks, along with 141 tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss, seven passes defensed and three interceptions in 2017.

He’s decorated: Gilbert was a first-team All-MAC selection in 2016 and 2017.

He’s versatile: General Manager Kevin Colbert considers Gilbert an “outside linebacker-capable, fast, space player. He runs 4.48. He's an active guy. In today's football, a lot of times that linebacker is removed from the formation. He plays over the slot.”

He’s also a special teams-capable player: “We think Ulysees can compete for special teams play, as well as give us the new type of athleticism that you look for (at inside linebacker).

Added head coach Mike Tomlin: “We imagine that Gilbert is a guy who can distinguish himself in that area, as well.”

He can potentially make outside linebacker deeper: “We’re excited about what Ola (Adeniyi) can do,” Colbert said. “But then you throw in a guy like Sutton Smith who played at the same level collegiately and had a lot of success in the MAC, so there’s going to be good competition there whether it’s for the last spot or special teams.

“You throw in a guy like Ulysees Gilbert, now you got three similar body types fighting for those spots. The competition can only make them all better.”

He had the right mindset at Akron: “He could really cover a lot of ground, sideline to sideline and he'll hit you,” inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky said. “That's what we look for. If you like to run around and hit people, you know you're good for us.”

He impresses on and off the field: “I'm glad we drafted Ulysees,” Olsavsky said. “We had him up for a visit. We saw a lot of good thing on film and he runs well, plays out of the box, which is where today's game is going.

“He was just really a genuine kid when he came up here. He likes to play the game, he likes to run around and hit people. I'm extremely pleased to have him.”

His pass coverage capabilities matter: “When a team trusts you to put you out of the box on a wide receiver, they have confidence that you can go out there and you won't be embarrassed or you're not going to slip up in your coverage,” Olsavsky said. “That's a skill that he naturally has, and we like that.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/he-could- ... -of-ground

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:50 pm 

I like the pick don't think he a starter but could be some pressure from different spots as well as play st.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:17 pm 

I really like the pick. He's just a good football player, even though he isn't the biggest or strongest. I could see him doing more in sub packages, but I really expect him to be a demon on special teams.