It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3rd Round Pick 83 Justin Layne CB Michigan State
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:49 pm 

[quote="Scunge"]The thing I like about Layne is that he has that experience as a WR and was switched to CB. You look at how he is an easy mover, a fluid mover, I like how he can play the catch point and knock balls out. That length and reach he has is impressive too. Almost 6'2", 33 inch arms and has a vertical leap of 37.5 inches?? All of that and yet he ran a 6.90 3 cone time?? He had a short shuttle of 4.09??
[I/quote]

I hear he has a set of 2.7" testicles also... Should be a player.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:10 pm 

Why didn't he do the bench? His arms are tiiiiiny.

Looks like a guy who needs to spend a year in a NFL weight room before getting out there.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 pm 

TB wrote:
Why didn't he do the bench? His arms are tiiiiiny.

Looks like a guy who needs to spend a year in a NFL weight room before getting out there.

Wrist circumference? HIG factor?

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:01 pm 

Quote:
Mel Kiper had Steelers Justin Layne going in the 1st round

by Tommy Jaggi 6 hours ago

I wasn’t the only one who was astonished that Justin Layne lasted all the way to pick 83. The Steelers apparently were thinking the same thing. Layne proved to be too good to pass, as Pittsburgh selected him with the 83rd overall pick this year – a pick that some regard as one of the best in the draft.

Prior to the draft, Mel Kiper slated Michigan State cornerback at pick 29 in his final mock draft.Here is what the nation’s most well-known NFL Draft analyst had to say about about Justin Layne:

Quote:
I was surprised Layne lasted this far into the draft. I put him at No. 29 in my final mock draft, and I thought he’d go in the top 40. I love this fit in Pittsburgh, where the team brought in free agent Steven Nelson, and former first-rounder Artie Burns took a step back last season. The Steelers intercepted only eight passes in 2018, and Layne, a converted wide receiver, had 19 pass breakups over the past two seasons. Every team needs cornerback depth in this pass-happy era of the NFL.

On my final big board, I had Justin Layne slotted as my 28th overall player and my 3rd overall cornerback. The value at landing a player like Justin Layne was fantastic in the middle of the 3rd round.

Layne is a long, athletic corner that shows incredible flashes on film. The Michigan State product just turned 21 years old in January, and has shown incredible progress for a young player who transitioned from wide receiver to defensive back just a few years ago.

Justin Layne is nowhere near a finished product yet, and it will be up to the Steelers coaching staff to fine tune his skills. To me, Layne is easily a better prospect coming out of college than Artie Burns or Senquez Golson, and I think Mel Kiper would agree.

The first cornerback drafted this year was Georgia’s Deandre Baker, who went 30th overall to the New York Giants. Ironically enough, I had Baker as my 32nd overall player and Layne as my 28th overall player.

Though Deandre Baker was better on film in college, Justin Layne is younger, bigger, and more athletic with impressive ball skills and ability to mirror in coverage. I don’t think anyone would have batted an eye if Justin Layne (not Deandre Baker) was the first cornerback selected in the NFL Draft.

With the way cornerbacks have worked out in Pittsburgh in my lifetime, it’s certainly possible that Justin Layne never reaches his ceiling and lives up to the hype of a player that was once talked about as a potential late first-rounder. However, one thing the Steelers didn’t do with the 83rd pick in the draft was reach.

The Justin Layne pick was fantastic value for the Steelers. It will be up to coaches Mike Tomlin, Keith Butler, Teryl Austin, and Tom Bradley to make sure that Justin Layne is not just another Steelers cornerback that falls by the wayside.

I know it is Kiper but he has carved a nitch out in the football world for himself over the decades.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:37 pm 

Well, to me, I find it hilarious that people will question Layne's speed, his long speed, whatever when...

Layne, 4.50
Ya-Sin, 4.51
Baker, 4.52
Love, 4.54
Murphy, 4.55

...so many wanted a first round CB like Baker or Murphy and yet don't question their long speed? They are slower than Layne!

I don't know, to me Layne was the perfect CB prospect for us in this draft and we spent a mid 3rd rounder on him. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but I will continue to do so anyway, Teryl Austin is a Mike Munchak level position coach. One of the best.

I bet Austin was banging the table to draft Justin Layne because of how similar he is to two former pupils of his, those being Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie and Darius Slay.

Both of those players were similar to Layne. DRC was 6'2" 190 and Slay was 6'0" 190 and both were very successful in college as press CBs who used their length but they also both faced the criticism that is being charged to Justin Layne.

Too thin, not strong enough, blah, blah, blah.

And yet Austin saw first hand how they used those long arms and physicality and technique and underrated athleticism to thrive. DRC made two Pro Bowls and Slay has made two Pro Bowls. We have all bitched incessantly about how this team is terrible at developing CBs, well, signing Austin was a great, great move, because he has a proven track record of being able to evaluate and develop CBs and Ss. I love how many of the CBs and Ss of Austin, on his teams in Seattle, Arizona, Detroit would manage individually to have 5, 6, 7, 8 INTs in a season. Imagine that!!

Glover Quinn had only managed 8 INTs in his first 5 seasons in the NFL. He played Safety for Houston and then went to Detroit as a free agent. In his second season with Detroit, Teryl Austin was made the defensive coordinator and Quinn had a career year, 7 INTs and made the Pro Bowl. Austin's last season in Detroit, Darius Slay made the Pro Bowl and had 8 INTs.

You can make the case that the Steelers of year's past were hopeless in developing CBs, but not anymore, now there is a new sheriff in town and he has a great track record of his pupils making INTs and making Pro Bowls, be it Marcus Trufant, Ken Hamlin, Adrian Wilson, DRC, Antrell Rolle, Glover Quinn, Darius Slay, etc.

I also love that Austin and Bradley, having two coaches for the secondary was long overdue. It appears that the Steelers evaluated the problem, knew they had to make changes and did so, bringing in Austin, having two coaches and signed Nelson and drafted Layne. That is a very good start, can't wait to see how this year plays out.