It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Herd. Wrong to count out the Steelers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 am 

https://youtu.be/10yE8JG949Q

Post subject: Re: The Herd. Wrong to count out the Steelers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:40 am 

Been preaching this since those two pieces of shit left.

Don't sleep on a VERY, VERY motivated Ben Roethlisberger who still has some serious weaponry.

You'd have to be a major dumbfuck to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am 

Don't mean to piss on anyone's parade but until I see it color me skeptical. Still got the "haven't had a losing season" dumbfuck leading this band of clowns and you've still got a complacent owner at the top. We'll see!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:14 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Don't mean to piss on anyone's parade but until I see it color me skeptical. Still got the "haven't had a losing season" dumbfuck leading this band of clowns and you've still got a complacent owner at the top. We'll see!

I won't deny Tomlin is an incredible dumbfuck empty suit, but I will trust an uber-motivated future first ballot Hall of Famer to have a great year and to elevate the play of the offensive pieces around him.

Zero doubt in my mind it'll happen.

We need to hit a home run on a defensive piece (or two) who can help make this team really special.

This draft could not be any bigger and if there is some way in hell we could add a Justin Houston to give us more pass rush capabilities, there is no doubt in my mind the Steelers could go to the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:22 am 

That could be today KC. Hopefully they land an experienced edge rusher with what's left in FA. Who can tell the way the draft will unfold at this point. I hope you're right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 am 

You guys talking about needing to improve pass rush, Steelers tied with KC for most sacks in the NFL in 2018.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 18/opp.htm

Overall, the D is mediocre, but the pass rush was good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 am 

KC wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

I won't deny Tomlin is an incredible dumbfuck empty suit, but I will trust an uber-motivated future first ballot Hall of Famer to have a great year and to elevate the play of the offensive pieces around him.

We need to hit a home run on a defensive piece (or two) who can help make this team really special.

This draft could not be any bigger and if there is some way in hell we could add a Justin Houston to give us more pass rush capabilities, there is no doubt in my mind the Steelers could go to the Super Bowl.

2019 is no better year to show the NFL talking heads, that he has continued to elevate the players around him.
Plaxico, Ward, Randle El, Santonio, feeding Heath, Nate Washington, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotch, Wheaton, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Jessie James, JuJu, Switzer, Vance................
Only had Plax for one year, but other than Sanders, non of them left and had better years?

I'm ready for the next set of guys that will have their best years under Ben.

JuJu, Washington, Moncrief, 1st /2nd rounder, Switzer, Rogers, Vance, early round TE, Trey Griffey, Tevin Jones......................the next cast is there or will soon be.
Not to mention Conner and Samuels out of the backfield with a mid/late round #3 RB.

I think if Ben plays 15-16 games, he will have the best year of his career.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:15 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
KC wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

2019 is no better year to show the NFL talking heads, that he has continued to elevate the players around him.
Plaxico, Ward, Randle El, Santonio, feeding Heath, Nate Washington, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotch, Wheaton, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Jessie James, JuJu, Switzer, Vance................
Only had Plax for one year, but other than Sanders, non of them left and had better years?

JuJu, Washington, Moncrief, 1st /2nd rounder, Switzer, Rogers, Vance, early round TE, Trey Griffey, Tevin Jones......................the next cast is there or will soon be.
Not to mention Conner and Samuels out of the backfield with a mid/late round #3 RB.

Great fucking post and spot on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:18 am 

KC wrote:
Don't sleep on a VERY, VERY motivated Ben Roethlisberger who still has some serious weaponry.

It's not that I'm sleeping on Ben, it's just my eyes are wide open with respect to Tomlin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:22 am 

Flying under the radar....with AB and Bell gone, there should be a lot more oxygen now in the locker room for guys like JuJu, Conner and Watt to take much stronger leadership roles.

I hope Tomlin is thinking about this. Ben, Pouncey and Foster are getting a little long in the tooth, and their leadership probably leaves a little to be desired. That leaves you with probably Haden and Heyward. So if some of the younger guys don't step-up that locker room is really going to be hurting in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 am 

Kodiak wrote:
KC wrote:

It's not that I'm sleeping on Ben, it's just my eyes are wide open with respect to Tomlin.

Tomlin's a twatwaffle, but let's get real. We've had some pretty goddamn good records despite that empty suit patrolling the sidelines.

Ben basically now calls his own plays. Ben pretty much is his own OC. I'm not at all worried about our offense. Ben WILL will the guys around him to success. Roethlisberger is going to be UBER pissed off.

The defense is what concerns me. We need to hit on a couple defenders that can help right away. If we can add a Devin Bush and another piece, I think we can be really good.

It's a very, very exciting time. Less drama next season is pretty much a guarantee too and that's huge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am 

Nick79 wrote:
You guys talking about needing to improve pass rush, Steelers tied with KC for most sacks in the NFL in 2018.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 18/opp.htm

Overall, the D is mediocre, but the pass rush was good.

Impossible to ever have enough pass rushers though.

Any news on Houston?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 am 

he lost me at best coach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:16 am 

We can believe Ben is motivated and he may even tell us he’s motivated.

However, his actions are all that matters here.

For example, let’s see how much (of his own) time he elects to spend getting on the same page with guys like Washington, Moncrief, and whoever else gets added to the mix.

If he doesn’t do that and then proceeds to have another 10 snap preseason then we will know all we need to know about his “motivation”.

While Tomlin is clearly the biggest pimple on our ass, I not certain at this point that Ben isn’t culpable for some of this mess as well.

How much remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 am 

955876 wrote:
.... then proceeds to have another 10 snap preseason then we will know all we need to know about his “motivation”.

That's all Tomlin. Ben has said he wanted more snaps/reps. Bell and AB got the same treatment. Tomlin is not stupid - he knows those guys carried his worthless ass so he wasn't risking them getting hurt in preseason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:26 am 

955876 wrote:

For example, let’s see how much (of his own) time he elects to spend getting on the same page with guys like Washington, Moncrief, and whoever else gets added to the mix.

If he doesn’t do that and then proceeds to have another 10 snap preseason then we will know all we need to know about his “motivation”.

While Tomlin is clearly the biggest pimple on our ass, I not certain at this point that Ben isn’t culpable for some of this mess as well.

Great point.
Using the first quarter of the season to feel each other out, get in sync, get in reps, first team meshing, etc.
Which has been a Tomlin staple...............

Is something that can not happen again if this team / HC is to get serious and realize every single game counts in a 16 game season.
He needs to look at the 2018 season as example A in his coaching negligence class action suit.

too many new faces will be on this 2019 season to be shaking hands, standing around, kissing babies and walking thru the motions in camp and pre-season

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Using the first quarter of the season to feel each other out, get in sync, get in reps, first team meshing, etc.

Tomlin almost certainly believes he did enough as HC last year for the team to make the playoffs. A horrific kicker, a stupid Grimble play (whom Belicheat would have cut the next day for such stupidity....we re-sign his ass), PLUS some real screw jobs from the refs....and he's not technically wrong.

That he could have done more to ENSURE we made the playoffs, maybe even a bye or homefield, doesn't register with him. Tomlin - and we see evidence all over the place again and again - is all about the path of least resistance and putting forth minimum required effort. It's the same approach that coddles and enables out-of-control divas, because managing egos is hard.

Cowher used to get rip as not learning or adapting, but that's really not true. Cowher did try many different approaches - wasn't very successful with it, but he didn't stubbornly stick with the same failed ideas over and over.

Tomlin, meanwhile, continues to make suboptimal decisions looking ahead before he's secured the win in front of him. He continues to insist on taking the air out of the football with a two score lead, despite overwhelming evidence his defense can't be trusted. Continues to trust his gut no matter how often it's wrong because, again, going against your gut requires planning and preparation. And none of this has anything to do with his prowess as a defensive coach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm 

The coaching staff is an anchor on the Steelers. I bet Keith Butler would still think Tyler Eifert was the Bengals TE even if the Steelers signed him.

It'll be interesting to see how they are this season without top-tier talent. Will this be a repeat of the 2012-2013 seasons, when neither side of the ball is quite good enough to overcome the guaranteed losses to shitty teams they'll endure along the way?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:36 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
KC wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Great write up man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
955876 wrote:

Great point.

Is something that can not happen again if this team / HC is to get serious and realize every single game counts in a 16 game season.
He needs to look at the 2018 season as example A in his coaching negligence class action suit.

too many new faces will be on this 2019 season to be shaking hands, standing around, kissing babies and walking thru the motions in camp and pre-season

How do you even know what they do in the off season, or in practice? People have said, "well Ben doesn't put in extra hours watching film", well how do you know that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:17 pm 

KC wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
KC wrote:

Tomlin's a twatwaffle, but let's get real. We've had some pretty goddamn good records despite that empty suit patrolling the sidelines.

Ben basically now calls his own plays. Ben pretty much is his own OC. I'm not at all worried about our offense. Ben WILL will the guys around him to success. Roethlisberger is going to be UBER pissed off.

The defense is what concerns me. We need to hit on a couple defenders that can help right away. If we can add a Devin Bush and another piece, I think we can be really good.

It's a very, very exciting time. Less drama next season is pretty much a guarantee too and that's huge.

If Ben calls his own plays, and his antagonists are no longer on the roster, then WHY again is he going to be 'UBER pissed off,' KC? Aren't the playcalling, having the guys he wants, more important than being criticized by Shannon fuckin' sharpe? Seems to me we might have a happy Ben rather than pissed off ben.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm 

If I had to listen to the crap Ben has had to this offseason, I'd be pissed off. Dude has also not even said a word. High road the whole way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 pm 

I seriously doubt that Ben is calling his own plays.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:
.... then proceeds to have another 10 snap preseason then we will know all we need to know about his “motivation”.

That's all Tomlin. Ben has said he wanted more snaps/reps. Bell and AB got the same treatment. Tomlin is not stupid - he knows those guys carried his worthless ass so he wasn't risking them getting hurt in preseason.

If Ben demanded playing time and was quite vocal about it...would Tomlin still refuse?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:35 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:

If Ben demanded playing time and was quite vocal about it...would Tomlin still refuse?

In the preseason? You really asking that question after what Coach Aviators pulled in Oakland?