It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Colbert Free Agent Signings
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:52 am 

Steelers made offers on Day 1/2, but players chose to go elsewhere. I'm actually pretty pleased with addressing CB and WR with some decent, savvy pickups before the draft.

You can complain about Chickillo, and it's an overpay on paper, but he can be cut in camp with no cap hit. Hey Bey, Hunter, McCullers all left unsigned, which people have been clamoring for for years. The bottom of the roster, which has been a question mark for a while, looks to be in for a makeover.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:56 am 

Ice wrote:
Steelers made offers on Day 1/2, but players chose to go elsewhere. I'm actually pretty pleased with addressing CB and WR with some decent, savvy pickups before the draft.

You can complain about Chickillo, and it's an overpay on paper, but he can be cut in camp with no cap hit. Hey Bey, Hunter, McCullers all left unsigned, which people have been clamoring for for years. The bottom of the roster, which has been a question mark for a while, looks to be in for a makeover.

Did he not get a signing bonus? If he did there would be dead money associated with cutting him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:00 am 

His guarantees are injury related only. Because he's Anthony Chickillo. Consider it one of the pros of bidding against yourself.

It's as if they let Tomlin pick one of his bottom of the roster guys to throw a temporary lifeline to, honestly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 am 

Ice wrote:
His guarantees are injury related only. Because he's Anthony Chickillo. Consider it one of the pros of bidding against yourself.

It's as if they let Tomlin pick one of his bottom of the roster guys to throw a temporary lifeline to, honestly.

Just curious, where'd you see that? I don't see any contract details on any of the usual sites.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 am 

Think Forty had it in the original Chick bedwetting thread. Not unheard of with backups and bottom roster players. He gets to hold off some younger kids to earn his 4 million in camp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
SP wrote:
Colbert was here well before 2010, and the Steelers are always right up against the salary cap because they believe in draft, develop, and retaining their own players. How many of these teams that win the offseason ever win the SB? Few if any.

But it is an annual tradition to complain about the Steelers lack of activity in free agency.

Yes, there truly are some serious pussies here.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:40 am 

The Steelers will not go into the draft with any glaring holes in the roster. The talent may be lacking but they will fill the roster so they can draft BPA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 am 

jebrick wrote:
The Steelers will not go into the draft with any glaring holes in the roster. The talent may be lacking but they will fill the roster so they can draft BPA

This used to be true. But, more and more under Tomlin it looks they draft for a need before going bpa.

Excluding the year they got Decastro. Just my opinion.

This year I’d say the glaring need is still ILB with TE now being 2nd.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 am 

Ice wrote:
Think Forty had it in the original Chick bedwetting thread. Not unheard of with backups and bottom roster players. He gets to hold off some younger kids to earn his 4 million in camp.

That was regarding Dupree and he was incorrect anyways.

Details haven't been released yet for Chickillo's contract and I can almost guarantee that there was at least some signing bonus, which means dead money if he's cut at some point in the next 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:47 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
jebrick wrote:

This used to be true. But, more and more under Tomlin it looks they draft for a need before going bpa.

Excluding the year they got Decastro. Just my opinion.

This year I’d say the glaring need is still ILB with TE now being 2nd.

They can still wave Bostic around for their starter :shock: They do not have "hole" in the roster but they do have a hole in the talent for the ILB.

And I would say that Tomlin seems to draft for athletic ability over football IQ.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am 

I’m having a hard time convincing myself that Edmunds was BPA last draft.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:56 am 

I agree and then to believe if they really wanted him they could have traded down to get him.