It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colbert Free Agent Signings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 pm 

It's always tough to be a Steelers fan this time of year as we watch so many teams sign great players in free agency. It got me wondering who are the biggest names we've signed since Colbert was named GM in 2010. In no particular order I have...

- Darius Heyward-Bey
- LeGarrette Blount
- Mike Mitchell
- Lance Moore
- DeAngelo Williams
- Ladarius Green
- Morgan Burnett
- Steven Ridley

That is a pretty pathetic list especially when you consider the only player that had a positive impact on the feild was DeAngelo Williams. Ladarius Green is probabaly the most intriguing signing and we know how that ended. I'm not sure who we signed before 2010 when Colbert was Director of Football Operations or if he was in essentially the same role with just a change in title.

The most recent free agent signing I can remember that I was truely excited for was probably Duce Staley and if I go back to my childhood Kevin Greene. I'm sure I am missing a few but the "Steelers way" as far as free agency is beyond disappointing.

Post subject: Re: Colbert Free Agent Signings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:34 pm 

How'd we get Farrior? Wasn't he FA? He was a good one.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:36 pm 

Flanker wrote:
It's always tough to be a Steelers fan this time of year as we watch so many teams make sign great players in free agency. It got me wondering who are the biggest names we've signed since Colbert was named GM in 2010. In no particular order I have...

- Darius Heyward-Bey
- LeGarrette Blount
- Mike Mitchell
- Lance Moore
- DeAngelo Williams
- Ladarius Green
- Morgan Burnett
- Steven Ridley

That is a pretty pathetic list especially when you consider the only player that had a positive impact on the feild was DeAngelo Williams. Ladarius Green is probabaly the most intriguing signing and we know how that ended. I'm not sure who we signed before 2010 when Colbert was Director of Football Operations or if he was in essentially the same role with just a change in title.

The most recent free agent signing I can remember that I was truely excited for was probably Duce Staley and if I go back to my childhood Kevin Greene. I'm sure I am missing a few but the "Steelers way" as far as free agency is beyond disappointing.

Colbert was named the team's GM in 2000, not 2010.

Here's the actual list of signings made by Colbert from 2000-2010 during the main FA signing period:

DATE POS PLAYER PRIOR TEAM G GS
2/14/2000 NT Kimo von Oelhoffen Bengals 95 94
2/22/2000 DE Chris Sullivan Patriots 15 2
2/28/2000 G Rich Tylski Jaguars 28 26
2/28/2000 QB Kent Graham Giants 14 5
5/30/2000 S Brent Alexander Panthers 64 64
3/8/2001 C Jeff Hartings Detroit 91 89
3/23/2001 S Mike Logan Jaguars 73 17
4/20/2001 LB Mike Jones Rams 21 1
6/12/2001 QB Tommy Maddox XFL 43 32
3/25/2002 K Todd Peterson Chiefs 10 0
4/5/2002 LB James Farrior Jets 154 154
6/13/2002 WR Terance Mathis Falcons 16 0
6/17/2002 QB Charlie Batch Detroit 31 7
3/5/2003 LB Clint Kriewaldt Detroit 74 2
3/17/2003 T Todd Fordham Jaguars 11 6
3/19/2003 TE Jay Riemersma Buffalo 22 9
3/6/2004 P Chris Gardocki Browns 48 0
3/9/2004 RB Duce Staley Eagles 16 11
3/10/2004 DT Travis Kirschke 49ers 92 18
5/26/2004 CB Willie Williams Seahawks 20 11
3/8/2005 WR Cedrick Wilson 49ers 47 14
4/5/2005 S Tyrone Carter Jets 89 22
3/14/2006 S Ryan Clark Redskins 80 78
3/16/2006 DE Rodney Bailey Seahawks 12 0

3/10/2007 C Sean Mahan Buccaneers 16 16
4/17/2007 DT Nick Eason Browns 55 11
5/10/2007 RB Kevan Barlow Jets 0 0
3/3/2008 RB Mewelde Moore Vikings 59 4
3/12/2008 LB Keyaron Fox Chiefs 45 3
3/18/2008 C Justin Hartwig Panthers 32 32

4/24/2009 CB Keiwan Ratliff Colts 9 0
5/1/2009 WR Shaun McDonald Lions 4 0
3/8/2010 WR Antwaan Randle El Redskins 16 0
3/8/2010 WR Arnaz Battle 49ers 25 0
3/8/2010 T Jonathan Scott Bills 29 15
3/8/2010 S Will Allen Buccaneers 30 0
3/15/2010 LB Larry Foote Lions 31 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 pm 

Colbert was here well before 2010, and the Steelers are always right up against the salary cap because they believe in draft, develop, and retaining their own players. How many of these teams that win the offseason ever win the SB? Few if any.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:39 pm 

“The penalty for poor drafting is free agency”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 pm 

SP wrote:
Colbert was here well before 2010, and the Steelers are always right up against the salary cap because they believe in draft, develop, and retaining their own players. How many of these teams that win the offseason ever win the SB? Few if any.

But it is an annual tradition to complain about the Steelers lack of activity in free agency.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 pm 

I said... "I'm not sure who we signed before 2010 when Colbert was Director of Football Operations or if he was in essentially the same role with just a change in title."

There were some good signings pre-2010 but for 90% of the last decade has been complete garbage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 pm 

Flanker wrote:
I said... "I'm not sure who we signed before 2010 when Colbert was Director of Football Operations or if he was in essentially the same role with just a change in title."

There were some good signings pre-2010 but for 90% of the last decade has been complete garbage.

Joe Haden
Traded for Vance McDonald
Villanueva was picked up in FA
Alualu has been solid depth
Sensabaugh was cheap, good depth who became a starter
Mike Hilton was a Fa signee...

That’s just off the current roster.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 am 

No team should be "against the cap" for 20 years... If so, you mismanaged your funds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 am 

Shouldn't every team be maximizing their cap every year if they're trying to be competitive?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 am 

Pre-2010 Add Najeh davenport but I don't think that was during the primary FA period (which I guess goes against the point of the thread or else you'd include guys like mike vick). Then there was that scatback from the cards that everyone was excited about but he ended up getting hurt in preseason....can't remember what year that was.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:06 am 

Flanker wrote:
No team should be "against the cap" for 20 years... If so, you mismanaged your funds.

Huh? You'd rather we went into the season without spending all the $ possible on players? You don't get a handicap for that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 am 

SP wrote:

none

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 am 

Flanker wrote:

I am going to need more details on the team spending just about to the limit every year to fill out the roster is a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:20 am 

steel wrote:
SP wrote:

none

For about 10 years in a row it was the Redskins. So at least they had that going for themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 am 

Over the past few seasons, i devolved into a Colbert apologist

We all revere Dan Rooney. Perhaps more now than even when he was alive

But since the inception of true free agency in the NFL it was Dans model of drafting developing and paying those players rather than pay someone elses. For you younger fans this lack of participation in free agency is not something new mandated under Art2 or Colbert.

Yes, I too am frustrated yearly by the Steelers lack of participation in free agency and their conservative approach to improving their roster.

Kevin Colbert is the ultimate yes man.
He does the bidding of both owner and coach for better or for worse and obviously under Art2 and Tomlin it’s been worse.

Yes I became a Colbert apologist mostly because I know working for an under qualified owner and blindly arrogant head coach with zero eye for talent has him severely handicapped

However, after declaring the Steelers would accept nothing less than maximum value for AB then a week later he’s bending over and grabbing his ankles for Mike freaking Mayock, a draft analyst with zero GM experience, I can no longer apologize for Colbert

Successful drafting and player development lessens the need to be active this time of year
However looking at the holes on this roster it’s pretty obvious the trio of Art2 Tomlin and Colbert had some extra work to do this off-season.
Given that need to work harder, Colbert further lost me signing Chickillo at any price . That guy is awful at football

Given my recent history of being a Colbert apologist, I will not solely blame him for this or any offseason

But I will blame him for being a balls-less yes man.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 am 

SP wrote:

Good point.
Theres a difference between trying to buy a championship in March, like the Browns, Raiders, and Jets are doing, and adding a quality player or two to fill a hole.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:45 am 

Ice wrote:
Flanker wrote:

Huh? You'd rather we went into the season without spending all the $ possible on players? You don't get a handicap for that.

Depends on who those players are...right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 am 

SP wrote:
Flanker wrote:

Joe Haden
Traded for Vance McDonald
Villanueva was picked up in FA
Alualu has been solid depth
Sensabaugh was cheap, good depth who became a starter
Mike Hilton was a Fa signee...

That’s just off the current roster.

This. I’m not a KC fan but he’s made some good under the radar moves the past 3 seasons.

AB Words of Wisdom: "...this be my first meeting with Mr Rooney ever as Antonio Brown the man not AB84 the player in locker! never been to my house; there house; like what AM I Really doing! Less then what you bargain for more than real #Truth"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Ice wrote:
Flanker wrote:

I mean, it's a factor, but there's a big difference between being a fan of a cap floor team like Tampa and a cap ceiling team like Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 am 

Ice wrote:
I mean, it's a factor, but there's a big difference between being a fan of a cap floor team like Tampa and a cap ceiling team like Pittsburgh.

Also isn't always the same teams making a big splash in free agency over and over and year after year?

I seem to always hear about the Jets making a move in free agency. I hear the Browns all the time in March making headway with a big get. Raiders buy players all the time that don't help them win shit (unless they play Mike Tomlin's Steelers).

Here is a list of the free agent signings from just last year. Shit a lot of these guys didn't even stay on the team that signed them in for the entire season or at all.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923539/article/2018-nfl-free-agency-key-offseason-signings-for-all-32-teams

Half the guys that this article had a note about I didn't even hear their names last football season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/270723/the-2018-nfl-free-agent-signings-and-analysis-for-every-team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:41 am 

Written in January of 2019

Recapping the 5 best and 5 worst signings of 2018 free agency.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25760941/best-worst-2018-nfl-free-agent-signings

Quote:
FIVE BEST
1. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints

Deal: Two years, $50 million

You might not remember this, but the 2018 free-agent negotiating period opened without a Brees extension in place. He was, for a time, free to negotiate with any other team, just like Kirk Cousins was. And teams called to find out. Arizona checked in. Minnesota wanted to know, before it went down the Cousins road, whether Brees was up for a change of scenery.
Although he could have received more elsewhere, Drew Brees chose to stay in New Orleans on a two-year, $50 million deal. Chris Graythen/Getty Images

Everybody who asked was told no, Brees wasn't leaving New Orleans. The deal he signed with the Saints was obviously less lucrative than what he might have found had he taken some of those calls -- even just for leverage. It's to the Saints' tremendous benefit that the top free agent on last season's market decided to negotiate with only one team.
2. Eric Ebron, TE, Indianapolis Colts

Deal: Two years, $13 million

Cast off by Detroit, which picked him 10th overall in the 2014 NFL draft but grew tired of the drops and the disappointment, Ebron signed with the Colts for two years, with just $6 million guaranteed. He ended up catching 13 touchdown passes in 2018. Only Pittsburgh wideout Antonio Brown caught more. In a season in which starting tight end Jack Doyle struggled with injuries, Ebron had 66 catches for 750 yards and obviously became a trusted target for Andrew Luck in the red zone. Ebron is signed for next season at $6.75 million. Pretty good deal.

3. Demario Davis, LB, New Orleans Saints

Deal: Three years, $24 million

Intrepid Saints reporter Mike Triplett recently detailed the reasons the former Jets linebacker was one of the best signings of the season. The performance of the Saints' defense over the second half of the season is a major reason they secured the No. 1 seed and are still playing, and Davis has been a huge part of that. He still has $5.95 million in guaranteed salary owed to him for 2019, but the Saints won't mind paying that if he keeps playing the way he has so far.
4. Kyle Fuller, CB, Chicago Bears

Deal: Four years, $56 million

The Bears played this one pretty smart, designating Fuller as their transition player and seeing if another team would make him an offer to set the price for them. The division-rival Packers obliged, offering Fuller a four-year, $56 million deal that the Bears matched immediately and on which Fuller made good by delivering a first-team All-Pro season for the league's top defense. The decision to bring back Fuller and fellow free-agent cornerback Prince Amukamara worked out quite well for the Bears, who led the league with 27 interceptions.
5. Mike Pouncey, C, Los Angeles Chargers

Deal: Two years, $15 million

Finally, how about a little love for the offensive line? Pouncey was cut by the Dolphins and signed with the Chargers with $10 million guaranteed. In the four years prior to Pouncey's signing, the Chargers averaged 91.09 rush yards per game and 3.63 yards per carry. In 2018, the Chargers averaged 117.06 rush yards per game and 4.69 yards per carry. Not that Pouncey was the only reason for the improvement, but he solidified things at a position that had been in flux for some time. Star running back Melvin Gordon has cited Pouncey as a critical factor in the improved running game due to his ability to block at the second level.

Honorable mentions: Adrian Peterson, RB, Washington; Dion Lewis, RB, Titans; Tyrann Mathieu, S, Texans; Denico Autry, DE, Colts; Anthony Hitchens, LB, Chiefs; Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Jets (who flipped him for a third-round pick)

Five Worst

1. Sam Bradford, QB, Arizona Cardinals

Deal: One year, $20 million

The Cardinals knew Bradford's knee was bad, and they signed him anyway to a contract that included $15 million in full guarantees at signing. Bradford played just three games for the Cardinals before rookie Josh Rosen took over as the starter, and the veteran signal-caller was released later in the season. The only bright side to this signing was that Arizona ended up having to pay Bradford just three of his $313,500 per-game roster bonuses. He still cost the Cardinals nearly $16 million for three games, all of which they lost.
2. Vontae Davis, CB, Buffalo Bills

Deal: One year, $5 million

This wasn't an unreasonable deal, price-wise, with only $3 million guaranteed. No, the reason this deal is on this list is the pesky little fact that Davis RETIRED AT HALFTIME of the Bills' Week 2 loss to the Chargers. Buffalo certainly can get some of its money back, but I think it's more than fair to say the Bills didn't get as much out of Davis as they were hoping to get when they signed him.
3. Nate Solder, OT, New York Giants

Deal: Four years, $62 million

Sick of disappointing 2015 first-round pick Ereck Flowers, who never developed into the franchise left tackle the Giants expected him to be when they picked him No. 9 overall, the Giants won a bidding war for the 30-year-old Solder. It cost them a $62 million contract with $34.8 million in full guarantees. At the time, it made Solder the highest-paid tackle in NFL history. Only nine NFL teams allowed more sacks than the Giants in 2018.
4. Paul Richardson, WR, Washington

Deal: Five years, $40 million

This sweet baby included $12.5 million in full guarantees at signing. Washington is still on the hook for $1 million in guaranteed salary in 2019, and more guarantees vest if Richardson is on the team on the fifth day of the league year. Richardson struggled with injuries all season and caught 20 passes for 262 yards and two touchdowns. Those reception and yardage numbers are lower than his career averages during his time in Seattle, but not by much.
5. Cody Parkey, K, Chicago Bears

Deal: Four years, $15 million

No, I'm not piling on. You can be sympathetic to Parkey's feelings following the missed kick that ended Chicago's season and still objectively say he had a bad year. That kick was the 11th one Parkey missed this season, and quite frankly, he's being paid like a guy who never misses. Last spring, the Bears gave Parkey a deal that included $9 million in full guarantees. That figure includes $3.5 million in fully guaranteed salary for 2019, which means Parkey likely isn't going anywhere. I'm sure he's a great guy who doesn't deserve the abuse he's taking, but ... $9 million guaranteed? Who was offering $8 million?

Dishonorable mentions: Trumaine Johnson, CB, Jets; Carlos Hyde, RB, Browns; Donte Moncrief, WR, Jaguars; Case Keenum, QB, Broncos; Malcolm Butler, CB, Titans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:43 am 

Ice wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Ice wrote:

If you have a quality, veteran heavy team, then yeah, you should be up against it. On the other hand, a team like the Browns of recent years, they arent going to have a roster that needs to be maxed out financially.
To just accept spending to the ceiling to fill out the roster is a mistake. If we take an honest look at the Steelers moving forward the next couple years, I see no reason that they should be up against the cap. The 20 mil AB slap in the face will be gone, they will have a bargain basement running back crew. The O line is locked up, although we can make a legit argument that they once again overpaid the center. On defense, other than Heyward, Haden, Tuit, and the new CB, the bigger money players aren’t there. Now I understand that guys like JuJu and TJ are going to get hefty raises soon, but I think the Steelers are guilty of bidding against themselves way too often. I’m one of the few guys here that thinks Chickillo is a decent backup, but 4 mill a year is ridiculous. I’ve mentioned Pouncey, and giving a kicker...any kicker, a 5 year contract is just plain stupid. Stuff like this and the constant restructures are why they are always up against the cap.
Just my opinion, but I don’t think the Steelers have had the overall quality roster that justifies being cap strapped recently. Just accepting up to the ceiling spending to fill out a roster under the guise of being competitive is foolish, if you ask me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 am 

SteelDrama wrote:
Over the past few seasons, i devolved into a Colbert apologist

We all revere Dan Rooney. Perhaps more now than even when he was alive

But since the inception of true free agency in the NFL it was Dans model of drafting developing and paying those players rather than pay someone elses. For you younger fans this lack of participation in free agency is not something new mandated under Art2 or Colbert.

Yes, I too am frustrated yearly by the Steelers lack of participation in free agency and their conservative approach to improving their roster.

Kevin Colbert is the ultimate yes man.
He does the bidding of both owner and coach for better or for worse and obviously under Art2 and Tomlin it’s been worse.

Yes I became a Colbert apologist mostly because I know working for an under qualified owner and blindly arrogant head coach with zero eye for talent has him severely handicapped

However, after declaring the Steelers would accept nothing less than maximum value for AB then a week later he’s bending over and grabbing his ankles for Mike freaking Mayock, a draft analyst with zero GM experience, I can no longer apologize for Colbert

Successful drafting and player development lessens the need to be active this time of year
However looking at the holes on this roster it’s pretty obvious the trio of Art2 Tomlin and Colbert had some extra work to do this off-season.
Given that need to work harder, Colbert further lost me signing Chickillo at any price . That guy is awful at football

Given my recent history of being a Colbert apologist, I will not solely blame him for this or any offseason

But I will blame him for being a balls-less yes man.

GREAT post, the type I come here hoping to read. bang on. I have been saying for years right here Colbert is over rated, Not bad, probably a bit above average but not the sage he is made out to be by many on S.F. He has had some great successes in the draft and he has failed miserably so be objective and weigh the good against the bad. As a personnel man he is pretty good. But shrewd he is absolutely not,

Thinking ahead anticipating players fall off's making moves before necessary to set up other moves. In a situation where we have been in a win now mode for about 5 years he has failed to make the big prescient move to get us over the top. Seeing faults in our team and addressing them aggressively not hoping to hit a home run in the draft or letting existing players solve the problem for him.

An example of this is resigning Chickillo and it appears guaranteeing DUD Dupree $9.2MM. The guy has 20 career sacks and you are paying him $9 large WTF?? Yes I am aware the Steelers led the league in sacks and that is not in any significant way because of DUD's efforts. This is classic lazy Colbert taking the easy way out instead of working hard and figuring out a solution to an obvious deficiency.

What are we doing about ILB? Do you think the status quo is good enough? Second or third tier FA?? Remember we are in win now mode. SMH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
Shouldn't every team be maximizing their cap every year if they're trying to be competitive?

Stop bring logic into this argument