It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ravens Sign Earl Thomas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:30 pm 

Quote:
Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
13m13 minutes ago

Former Seahawks’ S Earl Thomas intends to sign a four-year, $55 million deal that includes $32 million fully guaranteed at signing with the Baltimore Ravens, league source tells ESPN. Deal includes $22 million in first nine months.

Ravens have a truck load of money wrapped up in that secondary

Post subject: Re: Ravens Sign Earl Thomas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm 

Just signed Mark Ingram too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:35 pm 

Going all in on run-heavy/defense-oriented with Lamar Jackson in this day and age.

Will either be cutting edge “back to the past”-type shit...or a tremendous flop.

I give it even odds right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:40 pm 

I can’t name a single WR on that team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I can’t name a single WR on that team.

It’s a 4 TE offense, need the run blocking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:45 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Going all in on run-heavy/defense-oriented with Lamar Jackson in this day and age.

Will either be cutting edge “back to the past”-type shit...or a tremendous flop.

i dont see it as becoming cutting edge/back to the past at all....RPO offenses are all the rage in modern football be it college or pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

i dont see it as becoming cutting edge/back to the past at all....RPO offenses are all the rage in modern football be it college or pro

In RPO offense, the QB usually can throw the ball...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

If they keep running it 20x/game with Jackson, I'll be floored if he makes it to Week 10.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:48 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

In RPO offense, the QB usually can throw the ball...

he aint dan marino but he can throw and he'll improve that part of his game as more teams commit to stopping the run.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:00 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
he aint dan marino but he can throw and he'll improve that part of his game as more teams commit to stopping the run.

Jackson has never been an accurate QB - he never exceeded 60% at Louisville. And I'm not sure how losing his top 2 receivers and adding a 30 year-old short yardage back will help him improve.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:20 pm 

Ravens strategy is to win with Defense. Its their only viable option.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:26 pm 

i dont see it as becoming cutting edge/back to the past at all....RPO offenses are all the rage in modern football be it college or pro[/quote]

In RPO offense, the QB usually can throw the ball...[/quote]

he aint dan marino but he can throw and he'll improve that part of his game as more teams commit to stopping the run.[/quote]

Accuracy is something that rarely improves coming out of college. You either have it or don't. Jackson is fine in middle of the field. Throwing to the sidelines: out routes etc he is atrocious. Team will crowd the middle of the field, load up defenders in the Box and force Jackson to make throws outside the numbers. If he can do it? He will be special, if not? He won't last in the NFL.

Brett Kollman did a superb break down on you tube of Ravens' running game. It is reliant on movement and deception. That can only get you so far. Once teams adjust (like the Chargers did) and stay disciplined? It means Ravens oline has to create space by getting a hat on a hat.

The problem? They are not good at that, at all. Yanda is the only olineman that can carry that out with consistency and he will be 35 in September.

I have no doubt Jackson will have some highlight reel runs but I also expect those to be the exception. Teams will force him to pass and pass to areas he has yet to show consistency in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:32 pm 

High risk, high reward. That is a large chunk of change and Thomas is 29 coming off a major injury. If he recovers fast and plays at an elite level it is a great deal. If he recovers slowly and doesn't get his explosiveness back for a season? Ravens will be using a ton of cap room they should've used on getting a better oline and some WRs to help Jackson out.

Ravens have a real habit of going cheap on offense and pouring money into their D. That is going to heap a ton of pressure on Jackson.

The Ingram signing? Meh. He thrived on a team filled with studs on a fast track. I would have been more worried had Ravens signed Hyde.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:41 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Accuracy is something that rarely improves coming out of college. You either have it or don't. Jackson is fine in middle of the field. Throwing to the sidelines: out routes etc he is atrocious. Team will crowd the middle of the field, load up defenders in the Box and force Jackson to make throws outside the numbers. If he can do it? He will be special, if not? He won't last in the NFL.

Brett Kollman did a superb break down on you tube of Ravens' running game. It is reliant on movement and deception. That can only get you so far. Once teams adjust (like the Chargers did) and stay disciplined? It means Ravens oline has to create space by getting a hat on a hat.

The problem? They are not good at that, at all. Yanda is the only olineman that can carry that out with consistency and he will be 35 in September.

I have no doubt Jackson will have some highlight reel runs but I also expect those to be the exception. Teams will force him to pass and pass to areas he has yet to show consistency in.

I pointed this out last year, but it bears repeating: Jackson faced 7 teams last year. Only the Chargers weren't ranked 26th or worse in total defense. The run of garbage defenses the Ravens faced to close the year was pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:17 pm 

Cleveland has a better chance of any of the four teams of being the class of the North next year...thus far

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:55 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Cleveland has a better chance of any of the four teams of being the class of the North next year...thus far

In March...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:25 pm 

With the way Thomas plays the game I won't be surprised if he's hurt halfway through the season.

Ingram is good RB. If he gets decent blocking - big if - he will have some success.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Not sure why you'd say that. You assume that the Steelers won't improve themselves from last year, both in reversion to mean re: close games and PK AND in terms of rest of FA and draft.

Yes, Cleveland has added some star power but they still haven't won shit, and they folded in their biggest game of the last decade.

Everybody wants to focus on the Browns' talent (except no one wants to talk about the Browns' OL), well Steelers have some talent, too:

Ben, JuJu, Conner, Samuels, MacDonald, best OL in the NFL, Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Watt, Haden

The cupboard is hardly bare.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm 

And we have the best coach in the Division.....

Where x = violent men playing on blades of grass
Where y = efficiency factor
Where z = because Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:00 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

You owe me a new iPad...just spit coffee all over it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:04 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:31 pm 

Seriously what a downer to realize we have the same buffoon of a HC calling the shots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:00 am 

With BS artist as the Head Coach and the Keith "telegraphed corner blitz" Butler as your DC, the only way to win consistently is to have much much better talent than the other side. We'll see how talented we are this year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Not sure why you'd say that. You assume that the Steelers won't improve themselves from last year, both in reversion to mean re: close games and PK AND in terms of rest of FA and draft.

Yes, Cleveland has added some star power but they still haven't won shit, and they folded in their biggest game of the last decade.

Everybody wants to focus on the Browns' talent (except no one wants to talk about the Browns' OL), well Steelers have some talent, too:

Ben, JuJu, Conner, Samuels, MacDonald, best OL in the NFL, Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Watt, Haden

The cupboard is hardly bare.

I think the problem is many on that list, particularly on the offensive side, have "Ifs" attached to them.

JuJu - If he can be effective without AB pulling double teams
Conner - If he can stay healthy and maintain his production for a full season
Samuels - If he can build off a rookie season that had some bright spots
MacDonald - If he can stay healthy

And don't get me wrong, there's certainly ways to explain away some those "ifs". I think Ju Ju will be fine without AB. I know Conner's YPC were just as high at the end of the season, even if his total yards dropped fairly dramatically due to playcalling. I know Samuels can make plays.

I just think it's the unknown of asking players to do things they haven't done yet that causes the panic, and I think there's a valid argument there. The more moving pieces you introduce into a machine, the more chances there are for failure.