It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Free Agent Class
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 pm 

if going for safety get Landon Collins but i agree on not wasting money on a non playmaking ILB. I would really wish the steelers would be able to get White but can't see that happening maybe Bush from Michigan? kick Burnett out the door .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 am 

Defense/Secondary issues are do in large part because of obsolete scheme, I agree. That said, Edmunds wasn't as strong at his position in his first season in the NFL. Not a complaint just an observation. I believe Edmunds makes a huge improvement in his second season in the NFL. Davis was played out of position for his first couple seasons in the NFL. Last season Davis' first at FS he seemed to be a far different [better] player and improved as the season went on. As far as safety goes, IMHO other than depth, I wouldn't be in the market. Corner/ILB/OLB/Dline are where I'm focusing my FA scouting department.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am 

Agree about Edmund think he can grow into the part but I am very concerned about the ILB and especially in coverage . I don't think the answer is in FA and they must do what they can to grab one in the Draft.I think they can get a decent Price FA for a backup role on the DL,and maybe spend to get an OLB if their one out their.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
Agree about Edmund think he can grow into the part but I am very concerned about the ILB and especially in coverage . I don't think the answer is in FA and they must do what they can to grab one in the Draft.I think they can get a decent Price FA for a backup role on the DL,and maybe spend to get an OLB if their one out their.

ILB is the main, number one problem on this defense. It needs to be addressed in multiple ways. Vince Williams and Jon Bostic, at this point in their respective careers are nothing more than backup/role players. Hell, that’s probably all they ever were...VW for sure. That fact that they are starters...well, there it is...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am 

Jobus do you see any potential FA ILB that can improve this defense? I looking at the draft right now as the best way to get help but not sure White will be there at pick 20

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:54 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
Jobus do you see any potential FA ILB that can improve this defense? I looking at the draft right now as the best way to get help but not sure White will be there at pick 20

IDK...at this point it’s hard to know who will actually be available once the FA period rolls around. There are many names out there right now that won’t be come March 13, or whenever it is. Guys like Mosley, Hicks, and Perryman will likely be resigned.
On top of that, I’m not one that expects the Steelers are all of a sudden going to start throwing money around. They just don’t do it.
Two guys that intrigue me, that the Steelers might actually consider are, the Rats Patrick Onwuasor and Bucs Kwon Alexander. Onwuasor is restricted, so it probable he remains in Baltimore, an Alexander is coming off a torn ACL.
The true answer will be the draft...I think they need to throw a couple picks at the position, and cross their fingers. My two cents...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 pm 

They’ll extend DHB one more year and call it an offseason.

And if they do sign a FA, how long till he too wants out of the circus??

We failed to make the most important personal change. Anything short of that is but simply rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 am 

The biggest need is corner and ILB, particularly guys that take the football away. None of note on the market

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm 

I think Deone Bucannon would be as close as they can get in 2019 FA to Shazier type LB'er. Box checked.

I think Justin Coleman is a good candidate too B2B. Physical corner has that short area quickness that make him ideal inside as a slot corner. Hilton is currently manning that position. Or soon will be again after the Steelers re-sign him.

If Roby walks in FA he is priority IMHO. Speed can't be coached. Roby's athleticism is top of the corner class. More importantly, Roby has excellent ball skills. I think he fits the Steelers defense well as a boundary corner. Making him the ideal replacement on the outside for Burns.

Two more corner FA's I really like are 2a. and 2b.
2a. If Darby walks in FA his abilities bring him in as a close second to Roby IMO. Ball skills, athleticism, speed all the desired traits for an outside/boundary corner. 2b. If Rowe walks in FA he takes 3rd place in the corner class IMO. Rowe has all the desired traits as well. Speed, size, athleticism and ball skills as a boundary corner.

That takes care of ILB and corner IMHO. Edge and DLine are both in need of depth so 3rd tier and 4th tier prospects are acceptable. I do like Irving as depth behind Tuitt and Heyward. I think Irving's market will price him out of the Steelers reach though. I could also see them look at Danny Shelton as depth too. I am intrigued with Jordan Phillips and Jihad Ward as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:00 pm 

Never cared for Roby. I think he's all hat and not much cattle.

Steven Nelson I still think is the best match of skillset/talent level/price tag. He was just miscast as a #1 CB.

So you sign Nelson, draft a CB almost anywhere in this draft, let Sutton-new CB-Allen duke it out for the #4 and #5 jobs and/or Sutton/Hilton/new CB compete for the slot job.

If you happen to sign and or draft a S with CB skills, he could go in the mix, too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Steven Nelson I still think is the best match of skillset/talent level/price tag. He was just miscast as a #1 CB.

So you sign Nelson, draft a CB almost anywhere in this draft, let Sutton-new CB-Allen duke it out for the #4 and #5 jobs and/or Sutton/Hilton/new CB compete for the slot job.

If you happen to sign and or draft a S with CB skills, he could go in the mix, too.

All hat no cattle...

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:55 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I think Deone Bucannon would be as close as they can get in 2019 FA to Shazier type LB'er. Box checked.

I think Justin Coleman is a good candidate too B2B. Physical corner has that short area quickness that make him ideal inside as a slot corner. Hilton is currently manning that position. Or soon will be again after the Steelers re-sign him.

If Roby walks in FA he is priority IMHO. Speed can't be coached. Roby's athleticism is top of the corner class. More importantly, Roby has excellent ball skills. I think he fits the Steelers defense well as a boundary corner. Making him the ideal replacement on the outside for Burns.

Two more corner FA's I really like are 2a. and 2b.
2a. If Darby walks in FA his abilities bring him in as a close second to Roby IMO. Ball skills, athleticism, speed all the desired traits for an outside/boundary corner. 2b. If Rowe walks in FA he takes 3rd place in the corner class IMO. Rowe has all the desired traits as well. Speed, size, athleticism and ball skills as a boundary corner.

That takes care of ILB and corner IMHO. Edge and DLine are both in need of depth so 3rd tier and 4th tier prospects are acceptable. I do like Irving as depth behind Tuitt and Heyward. I think Irving's market will price him out of the Steelers reach though. I could also see them look at Danny Shelton as depth too. I am intrigued with Jordan Phillips and Jihad Ward as well.

Roby and Buchannon would make me sleep a LOT better at night. Not a big Rowe fan, but Darby would be nice.

Bruce Irvin and Shelton would both look pretty good in Steeler uniforms too. They do like Irvin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 pm 

I am liking the idea of getting a quality FA WR early in FA and also maybe a cheap deal with Pryor.I wonder how much Irvin has left and would be cheaper than Bud.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:41 am 

I wasn't referring to Bruce, I was referring to David Irving. 26 years old. 6'7 290-ish.... 7'4" wingspan. Was an undrafted free agent in 2015. (kansashitty)
He had some off the field stuff entering the draft and wasn't exactly climbing the draft rankings. Irving has untapped talent. I think he could be quality depth at DE and even play inside in some packages. "Has ability to 2-gap with length and is an intriguing 3-4 defensive end project with draftable talent."-Lance Zierlein
I just hope his market won't be priced out of the Steelers reach and they should jump on it once FA starts.

I know many here are higher on Darby. I think the iggles tag him if they don't have the resources to sign him to a big contract. Roby to me is a the better candidate. I'm not going to hold my breath Teryl Austin and Bradley can resurrect Artie Burns. I think Burns is likely done in the NFL. He's soft! Don't be surprised if Darqueze Dennard is signed. I see the connection with Austin and Dennard being influential. So with that in mind I take the best overall candidate in FA and draft the heir apparent for Haden. Haden isn't getting any younger. Dark horse candidate, Trevor Williams.

I think Dee Ford is retained by KC either by tag or fat wealthy contract. I'd love to have Dee Ford on this roster. Ford would relegate Dupree to package/backup status. That said, I think Barrett/Ray are decent candidates to push Chickillo enough to establish a decent back up group of OLB's. If not push him off the roster. With Adeniyi and Adams also making their way I can see the OLB corps becoming a strength going forward.

Deone Bucannon is my first choice for FA ILB candidate. If he's unavailable then the Steelers are going to have to rely on a draft pick and/or a tier3/4 player. I think Kwon Alexander could be a candidate too. ILB free agency is weak this season. My dark horse candidate, Stephone Anthony.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 pm 

I would sign Markus Golden on the cheap and see if he can repeat what he did in 2016. The Cards put him as a DE in 2018 rather than a OLB and he was underwhelming. As a OLB he had 12.5 sacks in 2016.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:00 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

All hat no cattle...

whoops

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:06 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I wasn't referring to Bruce, I was referring to David Irving. 26 years old. 6'7 290-ish.... 7'4" wingspan. Was an undrafted free agent in 2015. (kansashitty)
He had some off the field stuff entering the draft and wasn't exactly climbing the draft rankings. Irving has untapped talent. I think he could be quality depth at DE and even play inside in some packages. "Has ability to 2-gap with length and is an intriguing 3-4 defensive end project with draftable talent."-Lance Zierlein
I just hope his market won't be priced out of the Steelers reach and they should jump on it once FA starts.

I know many here are higher on Darby. I think the iggles tag him if they don't have the resources to sign him to a big contract. Roby to me is a the better candidate. I'm not going to hold my breath Teryl Austin and Bradley can resurrect Artie Burns. I think Burns is likely done in the NFL. He's soft! Don't be surprised if Darqueze Dennard is signed. I see the connection with Austin and Dennard being influential. So with that in mind I take the best overall candidate in FA and draft the heir apparent for Haden. Haden isn't getting any younger. Dark horse candidate, Trevor Williams.

I think Dee Ford is retained by KC either by tag or fat wealthy contract. I'd love to have Dee Ford on this roster. Ford would relegate Dupree to package/backup status. That said, I think Barrett/Ray are decent candidates to push Chickillo enough to establish a decent back up group of OLB's. If not push him off the roster. With Adeniyi and Adams also making their way I can see the OLB corps becoming a strength going forward.

Deone Bucannon is my first choice for FA ILB candidate. If he's unavailable then the Steelers are going to have to rely on a draft pick and/or a tier3/4 player. I think Kwon Alexander could be a candidate too. ILB free agency is weak this season. My dark horse candidate, Stephone Anthony.

Why are you quoting Zierlein on Irving when you have old B2B:
http://steelerfurypodcast.com/2015-b2b-directional-state-undervalued-small-school-nfl-prospects/
Quote:
DE David Irving, Iowa State (6073, 273)
A couple of incidents off the field trashed his career at Iowa State just as it was getting started… but what a start it was. Irving was just too fast and too long for most OL he faced. If he had stayed out of trouble, he would be not just more experienced but more coached– probably a high draft pick in this class.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm 

955876 wrote:
They’ll extend DHB one more year and call it an offseason.

And if they do sign a FA, how long till he too wants out of the circus??

We failed to make the most important personal change. Anything short of that is but simply rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

We do what we do.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:25 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
http://steelerfurypodcast.com/2015-b2b-directional-state-undervalued-small-school-nfl-prospects/
Quote:
A couple of incidents off the field trashed his career at Iowa State just as it was getting started… but what a start it was. Irving was just too fast and too long for most OL he faced. If he had stayed out of trouble, he would be not just more experienced but more coached– probably a high draft pick in this class.

My sincerest apologies sir. Was just a quick google for someone else's opinion [his popped up top of the page, "combine" results] besides my own. I have since bookmarked the B2B site in my sports folder. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 pm 

Sorry steelafan77 my mistake but sound like a nice guy to look out for, and add the best WR in FA to replace AB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:00 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:

My sincerest apologies sir. Was just a quick google for someone else's opinion [his popped up top of the page, "combine" results] besides my own. I have since bookmarked the B2B site in my sports folder. ;)

:D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:26 am 

Quote:
The Broncos told Marshall they won't exercise his contract option for 2019, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 2450230272
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... en-market/
Intriguing for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:07 pm 

There are stories out that Baltimore's salary dumps will continue, with Jimmy Smith & Eric Weddle expected to be released, and Michael Crabtree a good possibility, also.

Get out the checkbook, because that more or less solves a couple of the Steelers' problems right there.

Weddle the dime backer/big nickel, Smith the #2 CB, Crabtree the placeholder WR for Washington and draft pick.

DONE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
There are stories out that Baltimore's salary dumps will continue, with Jimmy Smith & Eric Weddle expected to be released, and Michael Crabtree a good possibility, also.

Get out the checkbook, because that more or less solves a couple of the Steelers' problems right there.

Weddle the dime backer/big nickel, Smith the #2 CB, Crabtree the placeholder WR for Washington and draft pick.

DONE

Crabtree is brutal - zero threat of explosive play, drops easy balls, and is aging quickly. Agreed on the other two.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:33 pm 

I’d be good with just signing Smith.
CB Smith
OLB Smith from Washington
WR Williams from San Diego.
Trade Brown to Arizona for a 2nd and ILB Buchannon.

1.CB Murphy Washington
2a. Safety Gardner Johnson Florida
2b. WR Wesley Texas Tech
3. CB Smith Kentucky
4.DE Nelson Iowa
5.none
6a.OT Prince Auburn
6b.RB Pitt
7.NT Olive Wisconsin

Last edited by cop1211 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next