It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OTL: Bob Costas and Why You Don’t Fuck With the Shield
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:57 pm 

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/25914913/inside-story-how-legendary-nfl-broadcaster-bob-costas-ended-excised-football-nbc-espn

It’s a read but worthwhile. Even one of the most celebrated sportscasters of all time stands no chance when you start revealing the truth.

Post subject: Re: OTL: Bob Costas and Why You Don’t Fuck With the Shield
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:51 pm 

Only people that can change the NFL’s dominance?

Us. Fans.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:38 pm 

I wonder how much of it had to do with him annoying the fuck out of probably 75% of the viewers with his halftime social/political rants. Good riddance Bob

Last edited by R S on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:17 pm 

Nothing like turning on a football game and getting a lecture from a blowhard to set the tone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 pm 

R S wrote:
I wonder how much of it had to do with him annoying the fuck out of probably 75% of the viewers with his halftime social/political rants. Good riddance Bob

FIXED

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:12 pm 

KC wrote:
R S wrote:

FIXED

NBC has really been leading the charge on progressive civilizational vandalism so I doubt his gratuitous political messaging did him in.

I'm guessing it's something really seedy (that will probably explain his pinkeye in Sochi). Costas always creeped me out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:58 pm 

KC wrote:
R S wrote:

FIXED

What did you change?

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
KC wrote:
R S wrote:

FIXED

What did you change?

He corrected a spelling error I had made when quickly punching out that post with my phone. I have since corrected the original error. KC has moved from wishing ball cancer on other posters into a spell check authority. I suppose it's progress.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/25914913/inside-story-how-legendary-nfl-broadcaster-bob-costas-ended-excised-football-nbc-espn

It’s a read but worthwhile. Even one of the most celebrated sportscasters of all time stands no chance when you start revealing the truth.

On 1 hand, I didn't like his pretentious takes and when I want to watch football I don't want politics interjected.

But on the other hand I enjoy the NFL getting their panties in a bunch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
On 1 hand, I didn't like his pretentious takes and when I want to watch football I don't want politics interjected.

The bigshots probably looked down on him as just a sports "journalist", and I bet it irritated the ego.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Granted, I only skimmed the article and rely on my memory. Costas didn't inject politics, IIRC. He was reporting on CTE and the violence of the game. Is that or is that not strictly football? Should he have not discussed steroids in baseball either? It's like asking a political correspondent not to report on the lies coming from a politician.

Wait. . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:50 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Granted, I only skimmed the article and rely on my memory. Costas didn't inject politics, IIRC. He was reporting on CTE and the violence of the game. Is that or is that not strictly football? Should he have not discussed steroids in baseball either? It's like asking a political correspondent not to report on the lies coming from a politician.

Wait. . .

They're specifically referring to Costas' gun control monologue on Sunday Night Football.

The specific Costas quote regarding CTE was "The reality is that this game destroys people’s brains....The cracks in the foundation are there The day-to-day issues, as serious as they may be, they may come and go. But you cannot change the nature of the game. I certainly would not let, if I had an athletically gifted 12- or 13-year-old son, I would not let him play football.”

That's not reporting - that's editorializing, and it's encouraging people to move away from a product you're being paid to promote.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Wait. . .

He had a big rant on gun control during a game once that got a lot of flack. I remember changing the channel when he started going into it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm 

Pabst wrote:
That's not reporting - that's editorializing, and it's encouraging people to move away from a product you're being paid to promote.

Yep, and the message from the league and the network was "stay in your lane, bro"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:06 pm 

Pabst wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Wait. . .

They're specifically referring to Costas' gun control monologue on Sunday Night Football.

The specific Costas quote regarding CTE was "The reality is that this game destroys people’s brains....The cracks in the foundation are there The day-to-day issues, as serious as they may be, they may come and go. But you cannot change the nature of the game. I certainly would not let, if I had an athletically gifted 12- or 13-year-old son, I would not let him play football.”

Ah yes. I forgot about the gun control thing. Ok. But he mostly did state facts in your quote above. Just the part about his kids would be editorializing.

Besides about half the time "reporters" broadcasting games are mostly just offering opinion anyway. Isn't that what color commentary is? Romo and Nantz speculate and offer their opinions all the time.

Was promoting the game in his contract? He was a sports journalist and commentary guy. That's what he was doing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 pm 

Well he WAS the host of NBC’s Sunday Night Football, so while he might not have been getting paid to promote the league, he was headlining a league offering.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Well he WAS the host of NBC’s Sunday Night Football, so while he might not have been getting paid to promote the league, he was headlining a league offering.
Oh I can see how both NBC and the NFL would get their panties in a twist. You don't want to jeopardize the goose that lays the golden egg. On the other hand, it would have raised NBC's journalistic integrity if they simply wouldn't just ignore CTE and the violence. Which is effectively what they are asked to do - and only report on the great, wonderful, HUge things they are doing for the sport.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:14 pm 

It might be me remembering wrong, but I feel like each week for an entire season it was politics with Bob at halftime.

PS: now i don't want to rant about CTE too much but i do think it's quite blown out of proportion. How many millions of kids play hs football and have no issues? Even college. I had a couple hundred teammates in college and keep in touch with many via social media. Most if not all are upstanding productive citizens with family's and good jobs. I know anecdotes are not evidence, 98% of kids who start playing football won't play past high school and 99.999999% won't play past college. Those 99% are gonna be fine medically.

Its like saying I'm not gonna let my kid learn to ride a bicycle because Dave Mirra rode bikes and ended up with CTE.

let your kids ride bikes and make a sweet jump out of old scrap plywood that's laying around! They aren't going to be Dave Mirra!

Costas was never a big football guy. He loves baseball. I think he gets more excited about Olympic figure skating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm 

Thanks for the thread, that was an interesting article. As a bonus I got an update on KC also!