It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 8176
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Just saw a tweet from PFT that saturday nights game that went head to head with ABC prime time NBA game got a larger audience, that was kind of surprising and just shows how popular any form of football is compared to other sports.

That and the fact that the NBA sucks. WWE with a ball and hoop instead of turnbuckles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 4067
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Just saw a tweet from PFT that saturday nights game that went head to head with ABC prime time NBA game got a larger audience, that was kind of surprising and just shows how popular any form of football is compared to other sports.


It's not only that. Right now, you can choose between 15-20 basketball games PER DAY on TV, probably 20+ hockey games per week, without special packages. So having 1-2 football games broadcast every weekend gives you something different to look at as a sports fan.I actually like still having a Sunday afternoon football game, like yesterday at 4:00pm. Especially now that the weather sucks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 4067
Plus it's kind of fun watching, thinking about who the Steelers might consider? I'd be sending scouts to look long and hard at kickers and punters. Nick Novak looked good, former Steeler Brad Wing was out there too. Those are positions where the skills are the skills and the competition means less, Maybe you can find other position players too, you can argue that they suck or they'd be in the NFL, but looking back, USFL, XFL, Arena, there where always a few that later made the jump. He Hate Me, Tommy Maddox, Kurt Warner and the USFL had many, many succeed in the NFL later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2086
How do the NFL affiliations work with these teams? Can the Steelers sign a player then designate him to the AAFL? Or...are the Steelers only able to sign guys off of Birmingham?

I kind of lucked out with the Steelers and Mizzou both being assigned to the Iron, so that makes my rooting interests fairly easy.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5893
Pabst wrote:
How do the NFL affiliations work with these teams? Can the Steelers sign a player then designate him to the AAFL? Or...are the Steelers only able to sign guys off of Birmingham?

I kind of lucked out with the Steelers and Mizzou both being assigned to the Iron, so that makes my rooting interests fairly easy.


Can you explain to me how an NFL and college team are assigned to an AAFL team?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 5117
I agree scouts the Kickers as well as the punters maybe the DL too.
BTW Summers had a good first game


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2086
R S wrote:
Pabst wrote:
How do the NFL affiliations work with these teams? Can the Steelers sign a player then designate him to the AAFL? Or...are the Steelers only able to sign guys off of Birmingham?

I kind of lucked out with the Steelers and Mizzou both being assigned to the Iron, so that makes my rooting interests fairly easy.


Can you explain to me how an NFL and college team are assigned to an AAFL team?

OK, did some googling and found the answer:
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2086
NBA ratings are in the crapper this season, although we'll see how they do now that the NFL is done.

Potential thread de-railing side note: This season is really exposing Lebron's 8 consecutive Finals appearances as a farce. He moves to the western conference and the Lakers are outside of the playoffs 2/3 of the way into the season. It's kind of amazing how bad the East has been for the last 2+ decades

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 18317
tunch wrote:
If the NFL was really involved they would make QBs untouchable.

See, I disagree. The NFL claims to be concerned with player safety strictly on the basis of their ongoing litigation. My guess is this league is seen as a potential of what would happen if they settle the lockout and offer players union the option: we go back to risky, hard-hitting football or you can walk away and we'll take the next wave of players who want to play.

Sort of a very loose threat to the PA.

And it might work. They need to cycle through QBs and not get hung on any poorly-performing QBs, the way that the NFL does because of contracts and value of draft picks. If they can see QBs as a numbers game, there's a chance they could have enough quality QB play to be enough to add to the current NFL-type players willing to cross the line.

I happen to like it, because it rewards tough sumbitches that play QB, a truly rare valued trait.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5893
I heard on the radio that no DB's can blitz in the AAF. I believe it's only 5 guys that are allowed to rush and they have to start at the LOS. I could be off about the last two, but I'm sure about the DB rule. Polian said with the lack of preparation for the teams, they were afraid if exotic blitzes were allowed the offenses would really suffer.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 746
bradshaw2ben wrote:
tunch wrote:
If the NFL was really involved they would make QBs untouchable.

And it might work. They need to cycle through QBs and not get hung on any poorly-performing QBs, the way that the NFL does because of contracts and value of draft picks. If they can see QBs as a numbers game, there's a chance they could have enough quality QB play to be enough to add to the current NFL-type players willing to cross the line.


There isn't even enough quality QB play when the job pays $25m+ a year. These aren't running backs.

There's no fighting the fact that there are only about 12 men alive at any given time that can play good QB against NFL-caliber athletes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 18317
tunch wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
tunch wrote:
If the NFL was really involved they would make QBs untouchable.

And it might work. They need to cycle through QBs and not get hung on any poorly-performing QBs, the way that the NFL does because of contracts and value of draft picks. If they can see QBs as a numbers game, there's a chance they could have enough quality QB play to be enough to add to the current NFL-type players willing to cross the line.


There isn't even enough quality QB play when the job pays $25m+ a year. These aren't running backs.

There's no fighting the fact that there are only about 12 men alive at any given time that can play good QB against NFL-caliber athletes.

My point is: I think the pool is deeper than it seems because of sunk-cost. Teams stick with mediocre or poor QB talent longer than necessary because they hope something will change so they don't have to give up on the expenditure. AND a major factor in QB development is that there aren't enough reps to go around.

SO, here's a league where more guys can get reps, and more reps are allowed in practice. There's less cost attached to any QB therefore son't be surprised if (provided the AAFL lasts long enough) that QBs who can't catch a break in the NFL prefer being a starter in the AAFL to being 3rd string or practice squad and getting no reps in the NFL. It's probably easier to get better starting in a minor league than it is to get no reps in the bigger league, right?

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4739
Pabst wrote:
NBA ratings are in the crapper this season, although we'll see how they do now that the NFL is done.

Potential thread de-railing side note: This season is really exposing Lebron's 8 consecutive Finals appearances as a farce. He moves to the western conference and the Lakers are outside of the playoffs 2/3 of the way into the season. It's kind of amazing how bad the East has been for the last 2+ decades


Sorry guys I'm going to continue the derailment but not sorry enough to keep from doing it :)

I have always said if you are going to argue the all time greats, I don't want to hear about getting to the finals in the JV conference only to get beat by the big boy conference.

If Lebron had spent his career in the west with the teams he had, he would only have 3 finals appearances.

I pull for the Mavericks, and I have had to deal with the Shaq Kobe Lakers, the Duncan Spurs, the Kobe Lakers. That doesn't include all the really good teams in the west that never made it to the finals because well, they were getting beat by west dynasties.

But hey, the Mavs pulled off a draft night heist getting Doncic and that kid at 19 is not normal... man is he fun to watch. The kid is a magician out there. And keeps getting better. And now that Dennis Smith is gone, the ball is in Doncic's hands more like I knew would happen, it was just a matter of time. And last week the Mavericks pulled off a trade for the Unicorn Porzingis. I can't believe it. Just gotta hope the Unicorn can stay healthy once he's back on the court and they can keep these 2 signed long term.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 5117
i think the steelers should be looking at the 8 kickers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 1199
I thought the product was very good. Exceeded my expectations. Games were fun and crowds were into them.

_________________
Fire Tomlin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 18317
steelmann58 wrote:
i think the steelers should be looking at the 8 kickers.

Not the place to look for kickers... barely any kicking game in this league.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Havoc and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group