It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:25 pm 

Anyone going to watch this evening on CBS? I have jack and shit to do tonight so I will be tuning in to see what the product looks like.

Quote:
Are there any rules differences from the NFL?

There are several significant ones:

The most notable one is no kickoffs, which is something Polian insisted on if he was going to be involved. They did this because data they collected said the kickoff was largely a non-dynamic play where the largest number of injuries occurred. Also, fans and players dislike the kickoff on the whole, and it affects overall game time. Instead, the ball starts on the 25-yard line after each score or at the start of the game.

Instead of an onside kick, if a team is trailing by 17 points or there's five minutes or less left in the fourth quarter, a team can attempt an onside conversion. They get the ball on their own 28-yard line and have to convert a fourth-and-12. If they do, they keep the ball and keep going. Don't convert, and the opponent takes over from the point at which they stop them.

There are no extra point kicks, so a team is going for two after every touchdown.

Overtime rules have the ball starting on the 10-yard line with four downs and a two-point extra point if a team scores (field goals are not allowed).

There's also a significant change in pass-rushing rules for defenses. Teams can rush only five players and can't blitz players from the secondary. If you have five men on the line of scrimmage on defense, those are the only players who can rush. "With less than a month to get our teams ready to play, the hardest part to get cohesiveness in is the offensive line," Polian said. "So if we came with all the exotic blitzes that we see, which is basically coming out of the secondary, they couldn't pick it up and we're going to get quarterbacks hurt, and it's not much of a game, honestly. Nobody wants to see the quarterback sacked repeatedly."

With replays, officials won't have to go under the hood or watch a tablet. Instead, the official will have an earpiece to communicate directly on the field with the replay official in real time. All of this is designed to help shorten game times. The hope is for games to be two and a half hours or less.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25900439/everything-need-know-first-alliance-american-football-season

Post subject: Re: Alliance of American Football
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:35 pm 

i watch to see all the ex steelers on these teams.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm 

Thanks for the tip.

Sounds interesting. I'll watch. Not sure I'm a fan of the pass rush rules, but the logic makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm 

Hines Ward - Player Relations Executive

By Kareem Yasin As a wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Hines Ward earned two Super Bowl titles, a Super Bowl MVP trophy and made 1,000+ receptions during his 14-year career. Now, he’s mentoring a new generation of up-and-coming pro players in the Alliance of American football. Ward brought his experience and knowledge to The Alliance’s two combines in Atlanta, giving players advice, a listening ear and mentorship that helped them advance through a rigorous set of drills and exercises, all with the idea of earning roster spots at the next level.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:44 pm 

Holy Shit the QB for SD just got erased from the earth.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 pm 

They have a camera and microphone in the replay booth with the replay official. So you can hear what he is saying and thinking as he is determining the call.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:37 pm 

Yeah, that hit was absolutely crazy. Old school and looked clean.

Also, liked hearing what was going on during the booth replay. Transparency is good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:07 pm 

Troy Polamalu, AAF's head of player relations

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 pm 

stillthere wrote:

wonder if they played old school hard hitting football and promoted as such this be successful.?? make players sign health waivers and knock heads ! make rules that make common sense. hell id watch that!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 am 

I watched a little... best non-NFL play I've seen. Kudos to the Alliance. Would make a fine minor league for the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:20 am 

bam morris wrote:
stillthere wrote:

wonder if they played old school hard hitting football and promoted as such this be successful.?? make players sign health waivers and knock heads ! make rules that make common sense. hell id watch that!!

Quote:
It's a curious but enticing balance, Ward admits. The NFL influence on Ebersol and Polian's venture is undeniable. Most of the AAF's coaches once belonged to the NFL -- Brad Childress, Mike Martz, Mike Singletary and Michael Vick among them. Yet everything else about the AAF is different, from faster play (no kickoffs or extra points) to increased player leadership.

"We want to give our league back to the players," Ward said, "to really let them have a voice in their cities."

That starts with the way the AAF's eight franchises are building rosters -- with local communities in mind. ("How do we allocate players?" Ward said. "We take an Atlanta team and put players from the University of Georgia and Georgia Tech on there.") It includes post-career healthcare. (Troy Polamalu, another former Steeler and AAF's head of player relations, is "very hard-nosed about" safety, per Ward, and "wants to protect these players with a medical staff and teams working together to focus on when they're done playing.") And it's headlined by championing players' causes off the field, with the AAF "setting up job programs and post-secondary scholarships," according to Ward.

Even if those goals seem to distance the AAF from the NFL, it's the NFL that gives the AAF life. In an ideal world, Ward said, the AAF would be three things: 1.) a platform for players "to begin and extend or revitalize their career," 2.) a pro-level product for fans who "yearn for football all year long" and 3.) a developmental league with talent readily available for the NFL.

Unlike the Canadian Football League, it doesn't run into the NFL season. Unlike the Arena Football League, its rules aren't vastly different. It has more teams, players and NFL alumni than the 2017-founded Spring League. And unlike the XFL, which is set to return in 2020, it isn't directly challenging the NFL. Instead, it intends to help it.

"Training camp is really not enough time to evaluate players," Ward said. "And that last preseason game, we all know it comes down to two or three roster spots, and then for the players, what do you do from now 'til next year if you don't get another opportunity?"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hines-ward-new-aaf-league-negotiating-with-big-names-wants-to-complement-nfl/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 am 

I didn't think it was too bad. I'll give it a chance for the season and my team will be Memphis!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:55 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I watched a little... best non-NFL play I've seen. Kudos to the Alliance. Would make a fine minor league for the NFL.

Don’t kid yourself...that’s exactly what this is. I’m certain the NFL quietly has their hand in this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:05 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Don’t kid yourself...that’s exactly what this is. I’m certain the NFL quietly has their hand in this.

If the NFL was really involved they would make QBs untouchable.

The NFL would make game reps for young QBs the entire focus of the league. Discovering one Kurt Warner every ten years would be worth it.

It would be nice if practice squad players are allowed to play in this league. Practice reps are not game reps and I'm sure there's a future James Harrison or two wasting away on some team's practice squad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:24 pm 

tunch wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

If the NFL was really involved they would make QBs untouchable.

The NFL would make game reps for young QBs the entire focus of the league. Discovering one Kurt Warner every ten years would be worth it.

It would be nice if practice squad players are allowed to play in this league. Practice reps are not game reps and I'm sure there's a future James Harrison or two wasting away on some team's practice squad.

One of the players from last night's SD/SA game said that given the opportunity to be on a practice squad or sign up for this league and get game reps and game film available would influence some guys to play AAF over NFL practice squad. Also the league has said it is trying to be complimentary with the NFL and not compete directly with it. Season will be over before minicamps and OTA's. The league championship is April 28th which is the last day of this season's draft. So players that look good in this league will probably be able to sign with teams as FA's the same day as undrafted free agents can sign.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:46 pm 

Pretty sure the NFL owns the league. That's how they were able to start out on CBS. This is an NFL venture.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 pm 

R S wrote:
Pretty sure the NFL owns the league. That's how they were able to start out on CBS. This is an NFL venture.

Yep...clicked on the NFL app today, first thing that popped up was AAF.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:01 pm 

R S wrote:

They work together but they don't own the league (openly).

Quote:
“There’s no investment,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT via email, in response to the question of whether the league or any owners have invested in the AAF. “It’s a programming partnership with the AAF.”

The NFL sees a clear benefit in broadcasting 19 AAF games this season.

“The AAF provides another opportunity for players, coaches, officials, personnel people to get valuable experience,” McCarthy said. “The AAF, and also the XFL, demonstrate the strength of the game and the health of football as entertainment. They reflect substantial investments and major commitments by serious and credible football and business people.”

AAF co-founder Charlie Ebersol expressed similar sentiments in a statement sent via email to PFT.

“Over the past three years we have worked diligently to promote a strong and wide-ranging partnership with the NFL,” Ebersol said. “History has clearly shown with all previous failed attempts at spring football what doing the reverse looks like. What we have created is a broad, symbiotic relationship. We allow players to move freely back and forth to the NFL from The Alliance (70 players have been released to the NFL, with 35 returning to play for us this season), we built our data system to work with the NFL (a first for the NFL) and we’ve partnered with the NFL on television rights for 19 of our 43 games. Over 30 of our 85 referees are in the NFL’s ODP, all of our coaches have NFL experience — something no other league could have or can say. In fact, our executives, G.M.’s and coaches have over 500 years of combined NFL experience. In short, we count ourselves lucky to have fostered such meaningful connections with America’s most popular and dominant sports and entertainment brand.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... tment-yet/

Makes sense. People are cutting the cord and NFL network is like $9/month out of your cable bill. They need content.

Plus washed-out coaches and execs can collect a paycheck for some part-time work.

Last edited by tunch on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:03 pm 

In unsurprising news, Christian Hackenberg isn't going to Tommy Maddox his way back onto the league.

Dude is t-r-a-s-h.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:31 pm 

Summers looked good for the iron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm 

CdnSteelerFan wrote:
I didn't think it was too bad. I'll give it a chance for the season and my team will be Memphis!

Very. Bad. Idea.

Watching Hackenberg have a full-blown meltdown with an open mic was delicious, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:02 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
Summers looked good for the iron

I thought he would be the Steelers second best CB right now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:30 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
CdnSteelerFan wrote:

Very. Bad. Idea.

Watching Hackenberg have a full-blown meltdown with an open mic was delicious, though.

I see that now. Oh well, I made my choice and next week we will get points!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am 

Really enjoyed the games this weekend. Looking forward to watching more.

A legit 2nd opportunity for these guys to showcase their abilities. There will be a lot of players getting another shot next season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:34 am 

Just saw a tweet from PFT that saturday nights game that went head to head with ABC prime time NBA game got a larger audience, that was kind of surprising and just shows how popular any form of football is compared to other sports.