It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6 > 6* = BS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:43 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Have you seen a replay of the Steelers/Rams Super Bowl from 1980 recently? The announcer opens the broadcast in the first possession describing the Steelers O-line, saying something like, "these guys are massive, they average 260 pounds across the offensive line" :lol:

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:50 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Offensive linemen today in general are much bigger. Russ Grimm would be one of the smallest guards in the league.

Athletes now in general are bigger, faster, stronger. I understand the 70s team was full of Hall of Fame bad asses. But the contemporary athlete seems to me to be on a different level. You're assuming that because the Steel Curtain dominated 70s teams, they would dominate teams now?

I wonder if Mel Blount could run fast enough actually to lay a hit on some of the WRs playing now.

Not buying it. At all.

Consider all the Olympic records that have been broken since the 70s. Athletes have gotten bigger, faster, stronger.

I am just using the Pats as the example but Julian Edelman aint fast. I think Blount would be on Gronk actually. I understand what you are saying, i disagree though. Wasnt Cliff Branch pretty damn fast? The Chargers wrs of that era? There were plenty of fast wrs back then. You talk like the nfl was full of slow midgets in that era.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 pm 

The lineman where definitely smaller, 250-260 was a pro or D1 college O-lineman, I played O-line in HS at 210. There where a couple guys I played with that got D1 O-line scholarships and they where considered ''huge" at the time going between 230-240. Now HS O-linemen are 300+.

But I will say there definitely where strong guys, some of those guys I knew that played D1, weren't as heavy, but still could bench like 450-500 pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:06 pm 

Kids specialize more now, big kids might decide at a younger age to bulk up and play OT, or quit football to play basketball, or never play basketball or football at all and play soccer for 12 years, or play 150 game baseball schedules at age 12. So if you're concentrating on getting big for football, you aren't playing different sports as the seasons change like we did. When football season ended, me and my football teammates probably played basketball in the winter either for the school or the CYO or something and maybe lifted weights twice a week or something, nowadays lots of these kids are immersed in grooming themselves for a certain sport early.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:09 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
The lineman where definitely smaller, 250-260 was a pro or D1 college O-lineman, I played O-line in HS at 210. There where a couple guys I played with that got D1 O-line scholarships and they where considered ''huge" at the time going between 230-240. Now HS O-linemen are 300+.

But I will say there definitely where strong guys, some of those guys I knew that played D1, weren't as heavy, but still could bench like 450-500 pounds.

You guys got me on the lineman, but the rest of the field the Steelers players were fine size wise. Pitt actually had guys at that time that were not the norm as far as size. Bradshaw, Franco, Blount, Cunningham. Stallworth was skinny but tall for a wr back then....or was it because he was so skinny he looked tall? Jack Lambert was super light but also really tall and fast. Except for Gronk most of the Pats players are usully smaller. I dont think the size thing would really matter that much. Just my opinion. You also have to factor in the heart factor. Most of those guys played harder than most of these pussies today. They had hearts of lions. Size aint everything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm 

Sorry, but the guys today are actually no stronger than they were back then. Take a look at old photos of those 250 lb lineman - they were pretty big guys with good physiques. Today, these guys add weight to make them more "unmovable" (they look fat to me). They eat 8 meals a day loaded with carbs - something like 10,000 calories per day. In 20 years, if you don't weigh 400 lbs, you won't be able to be an NFL lineman. I would bet that if the NFL came out with a weight range and limit for each position, you would see better football. It would be faster and more dangerous than ever as player's athleticism wouldn't be hindered by their weight so much. The game would be fast as hell!

I think what some people are saying is that the play of the game was more destructive and ferocious as the rules valued it. Tom Brady would not have lasted 5 years in the league back then - he's too much of a pussy to be hit like they were back then! Half these QBs today wouldn't get up after the hit!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:33 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Sorry, but the guys today are actually no stronger than they were back then. Take a look at old photos of those 250 lb lineman - they were pretty big guys with good physiques. Today, these guys add weight to make them more "unmovable" (they look fat to me). They eat 8 meals a day loaded with carbs - something like 10,000 calories per day. In 20 years, if you don't weigh 400 lbs, you won't be able to be an NFL lineman. I would bet that if the NFL came out with a weight range and limit for each position, you would see better football. It would be faster and more dangerous than ever as player's athleticism wouldn't be hindered by their weight so much. The game would be fast as hell!

I think what some people are saying is that the play of the game was more destructive and ferocious as the rules valued it. Tom Brady would not have lasted 5 years in the league back then - he's too much of a pussy to be hit like they were back then! Half these QBs today wouldn't get up after the hit!

Classic example, how strong was Mike Webster? Anyone know how much he benched. I cant see him having any problem with some fat ass DT today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:39 pm 

alancac98 wrote:

Fine, we have fat fuck linemen now. Still doesn't change my position. There is no way the Steelers 70s defense would maul lines today like they did then. The training, the power-to speed-to size ratios are just so much higher now.

That pussy Brady has a lot of rings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:07 pm 

It is difficult to compare eras without translating one of the teams to the others environment. If the cheats were playing in the 70s, we would hurt Brady and Gronk in the first quarter. No way would they take the pounding that we would deliver. If the Steelers of the 70s were playing today, they would have the benefit of today's training and diet programs, and the players would have been bigger as well. Lambert, Ham and Russell could all cover and would make Gronks life miserable. Joe Greene up the middle would collapse the pocket on Brady. Our DBs (especially Blount) would play well in this time era. They could cover. Larry Brown would do very well against the cheats DLine. Franco would be Franco. And Edelman would have trouble going over the middle and meeting Donnie Shell. I would like our chances.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:37 pm 

But then they would not be 70s athletes any more.

Gronk doesn’t need to be transported to the 70s to get injured often.

Easy for everyone to call Brady a pussy who would fold.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:09 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
But then they would not be 70s athletes any more.

Gronk doesn’t need to be transported to the 70s to get injured often.

Easy for everyone to call Brady a pussy who would fold.

Lets see Brady take a Bradshaw dump on the head ala Turkey Jones or a Jim Mcmahon- Charles Martin hit. Hell, if anyone gets within 5 yards of his knee he starts pointing and asking for a flag. Brady may have all those rings but he is a bona fide pussy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:17 pm 

Yes, 6 = 6. But, this is a "what have you done for me lately" world. And lately the Steelers haven't done jack.

You know how when the Browns' fans run around and talk about the 213493843 non-SB championships they have from dinosaur times and you laugh your ass off at them? Well, the Pats are doing the same to the Steelers.

Yes, 6 = 6. But really, who cares? It's time to be relevant now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm 

Steel Reign wrote:
Yes, 6 = 6. But, this is a "what have you done for me lately" world. And lately the Steelers haven't done jack.

You know how when the Browns' fans run around and talk about the 213493843 non-SB championships they have from dinosaur times and you laugh your ass off at them? Well, the Pats are doing the same to the Steelers.

Not really. It hasn't been DECADES since we last won.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:23 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Steel Reign wrote:

Yeah, just remove the S. :roll:

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Steel Reign wrote:

The Browns and Lions and Packers fans talking about pre-merger championships are like SF Giants fans counting pre-World Series championships as championships. It was an entirely different league.

At least the 70s Steelers won their championships in the post-merger NFL and fans aren't trying to count wins from the 1940s or 1920s.

Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 am 

JaySteel72 wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

Classic example, how strong was Mike Webster? Anyone know how much he benched. I cant see him having any problem with some fat ass DT today.

My failing memory recalls a factoid of Jon Kolb benching 550.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:44 am 

Steel Reign wrote:

You know how when the Browns' fans run around and talk about the 213493843 non-SB championships they have from dinosaur times and you laugh your ass off at them? .

I don't, I respect history, they where the team of the '50s, they won something like 7 championships in 10 years, when former Brown Chuck Noll was hired in '69, the perception still was like the Browns to the Steelers was like the Pats to the Jets is today. Even worse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 am 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
fans aren't trying to count wins from the 1940s or 1920s.

They all still count. Like Pitt has 9 National Championships all just as valid as titles won today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 am 

Nick79 wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:

They all still count. Like Pitt has 9 National Championships all just as valid as titles won today.

No one can take away the Packers' 1920s and 1930s championships, but they're championships of a league that doesn't really exist anymore. Pre-merger NFL is like pre-merger MLB. There are teams that have National League championships from the 1880s. They don't count as World Series championships and aren't lumped in together as undifferentiated "championships". Same with the NFL. Being the NFL champion of 1936 isn't equivalent to winning the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:32 am 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:

No one can take away the Packers' 1920s and 1930s championships, but they're championships of a league that doesn't really exist anymore. Pre-merger NFL is like pre-merger MLB. There are teams that have National League championships from the 1880s. They don't count as World Series championships and aren't lumped in together as undifferentiated "championships". Same with the NFL. Being the NFL champion of 1936 isn't equivalent to winning the Super Bowl.

In my mind IT IS, an NFL championship is still a championship, you can only win what exists the day you are playing. I think MLB differentiates, I don't think NFL does, I think they still count the Packers as having the most titles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Kids specialize more now, big kids might decide at a younger age to bulk up and play OT, or quit football to play basketball, or never play basketball or football at all and play soccer for 12 years, or play 150 game baseball schedules at age 12. So if you're concentrating on getting big for football, you aren't playing different sports as the seasons change like we did. When football season ended, me and my football teammates probably played basketball in the winter either for the school or the CYO or something and maybe lifted weights twice a week or something, nowadays lots of these kids are immersed in grooming themselves for a certain sport early.

All that specialization is why kids/young adults get injured so fucking much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:25 pm 

R S wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

All that specialization is why kids/young adults get injured so fucking much.

True! Little league pitchers throw more innings than pro pitchers do. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Steel Reign wrote:

Yeah, just remove the S. :roll:

You're trying to tell me we have it as bad as the Browns fans who haven't won a championship since 1964? :roll: yourself.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
In my mind IT IS, an NFL championship is still a championship, you can only win what exists the day you are playing. I think MLB differentiates, I don't think NFL does, I think they still count the Packers as having the most titles.

I divide the league up into different eras. The Packers won the pre-super bowl era. But I can't buy that winning a championship pre-super bowl is the same as winning a super bowl. For one thing, back in the 20's, the league didn't set schedules. Each team set their own schedule, and teams played different numbers of teams on their schedule during a season. Also, there were no playoffs. The team that finished with the best record was just called the league champion that year. Am I really supposed to have as much respect for that as a team winning a super bowl today? Also, pre-super bowl, the NFL champions didn't have to beat the champions of another league which is what winning a super bowl is today. Winning a NFL championship pre-super bowl is like winning a conference championship game today. They are different eras and should be kept--and accounted--differently.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am 

Nick79 wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:

The media folks gave the Pgh Writers their take on the Steelers image at the SB.....it's now taken a major hit. Will Art wake the fuck up and realize it? It starts by firing his clown coach

I think this ''3 coaches in 50 years'' thing is too big a part of his identity for him to do anything. It's like the whole franchise's biggest badge of honor, even bigger than the 6 Lombardis.

Agreement and that philosophy is stale. Nobody stays anywhere for 15 years anymore. Stupid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next