It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6 > 6* = BS
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:17 am 

Nick79 wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
I'm glad the Pats won 6. Maybe it'll light the fire under some asses within the organization because we are on the trajectory to not winning another meaningful thing for quite some time.

I don't think so. I think Art2 is complacent and cares more about image than winning anything.

Unfortunately, Nick is absolutely correct.

Fuck EMR
Fuck Mike Tomlin

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 am 

Obviously wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
I'm glad the Pats won 6. Maybe it'll light the fire under some asses within the organization because we are on the trajectory to not winning another meaningful thing for quite some time.

I don't think so. I think Art2 is complacent and cares more about image than winning anything.

Unfortunately, Nick is absolutely correct.

Fuck EMR
Fuck Mike Tomlin

The media folks gave the Pgh Writers their take on the Steelers image at the SB.....it's now taken a major hit. Will Art wake the fuck up and realize it? It starts by firing his clown coach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:33 am 

JaySteel72 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
They got 6 in half the time, in an era where supposedly there should be no dynasties.

You can marshal any argument you want...it’ll fall on deaf ears.

So you’re doing it to make yourselves feel better...that’s all.

Well, my thing with their 6 is two of those are a complete joke. If it werent for some of the worst coaching decisions in the history of sports they would still only have 4. Especially the Seattle game. It taints their dynasty for me. But you are correct, it will all fall on deaf ears. Nobody will ever mention those things again when bringing up the 2000s Patriots.

Right, but the two losses to the Giants were flukes that would have gone to the Pats 99 times out of a 100. The 2011-12 Giants team might be the worst team to ever win a Super Bowl. I think the Pats wins against the Seahawks and Falcons balance out their losses to the Giants.

Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
The media folks gave the Pgh Writers their take on the Steelers image at the SB.....it's now taken a major hit. Will Art wake the fuck up and realize it? It starts by firing his clown coach

Are you referencing something specific here?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:53 am 

Dallas and San Francisco both passed us at 4 and won 5. We passed them and went ahead at 6. We will go ahead of the cheats as well. Give them some credit, they are very well coached. And Brady is very good. Can they win without Brady? Can Ben win another one? Or more than one? I think he can.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:15 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:

I think this ''3 coaches in 50 years'' thing is too big a part of his identity for him to do anything. It's like the whole franchise's biggest badge of honor, even bigger than the 6 Lombardis.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35 pm 

jewelsongs wrote:
Dallas and San Francisco both passed us at 4 and won 5. We passed them and went ahead at 6. We will go ahead of the cheats as well. Give them some credit, they are very well coached. And Brady is very good. Can they win without Brady? Can Ben win another one? Or more than one? I think he can.

Can they win without Brady?

They just did last night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:08 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Of course they can win without Brady. They will plug another QB into that system and keep right on dominating. The only question is how much longer is Belicheat going to keep coaching? Nothing left to prove, unless he wants to show he's so great he can do it without Brady.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:17 pm 

I guarantee you BB & Brady both have their sights set on having the most ever when they decide to hang them up.

No reason to get upset over them getting 6 when #7 is likley around the corner.

They’ll get 1 more...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:20 pm 

Yawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:52 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:

I think this ''3 coaches in 50 years'' thing is too big a part of his identity for him to do anything. It's like the whole franchise's biggest badge of honor, even bigger than the 6 Lombardis.

Absolutely correct Nick.
And when you think about it, is that 3 in 50 thing an actual accomplishment? I could own only 3 cars in 50 years if I wanted. But they would break down, rust out, and be totally useless piles of junk. But hey...it’s something I could brag about, and act like it was pretty great...right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:19 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:

I heard Ed Bouchette's interview on the fan this morning, he said all week at the SB, he was hearing outside perspectives of the Steelers Legacy....... Taking a hit over the mess Tomlin has allowed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 pm 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
I don’t disagree, Nick. You can only play in your own era. My response was simply to the post that if they were on the field together now 1978 would “beat the shit out” of 2018.

Aren't guys now generally, bigger, faster and stronger on average? Wouldn't 2018 in fact beat the shit out of 1978 were 1978 rules allowed?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:20 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:

I heard Ed Bouchette's interview on the fan this morning, he said all week at the SB, he was hearing outside perspectives of the Steelers Legacy....... Taking a hit over the mess Tomlin has allowed

Everyone and his brother knows this fucking team is an absolute mess but the asshole owner and the shitbag head coach. Honestly, I'm about done with them and the NFL as a whole thanks to Roger the Clown. What a fucking joke!

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

"I work in a bank." - Demetreus Gore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:57 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Will-the-Shake wrote:
I don’t disagree, Nick. You can only play in your own era. My response was simply to the post that if they were on the field together now 1978 would “beat the shit out” of 2018.

Aren't guys now generally, bigger, faster and stronger on average? Wouldn't 2018 in fact beat the shit out of 1978 were 1978 rules allowed?

Maybe, but the 2018 guys would certainly outrun them

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Of course they can win without Brady. They will plug another QB into that system and keep right on dominating. The only question is how much longer is Belicheat going to keep coaching? Nothing left to prove, unless he wants to show he's so great he can do it without Brady.

Belichick and his staff have built a dynasty on a very simple concept - put people in the best position to make a play and don’t let them change it up or freelance. He needs good but not great players that fall in line every single time and if they don’t he ships them out. No doubt he pushes the rules and sometimes breaks them but in the end it comes down to him demanding people unconditionally following the game plan. He is also better than anyone else at building that game plan.

To be honest I’m not even convinced Brady is that “Great” per se. When it comes to athletic ability or being able to make something out of nothing, I’d take Montana, Bradshaw, Elway or Ben over Tom Terrific.

However (and it is a BIG however), he follows Bill’s plan and takes what the Defense gives him better than anyone else who has ever played the game and on that issue it isn’t even close!!

Most of the great QBs start out that way and then take more chances as they grow into their role they take more liberties with play calling and changing things up. Brady on the other hand is given a few options for each play and he picks one and quickly executes almost to perfection. If things break down or he gets pressure he isn’t very good but he is smart enough to limit those situations and pick one of his options before he has to improvise or “make a play.”

In the end I believe it is Belichick and not Brady that is the reason that have won so much for such a long & sustained period of time. They are well suited for each other but if Bill can find another fairly talented QB who does exactly what he says I could see him winning it all with another QB.

All that said, I still hate those Jagoffs with a passion and it matters not that they are so good at what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:58 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Will-the-Shake wrote:

That’s what I was getting at with my initial reply. The war in the trenches, for starters, would not be a war, it would be no contest. Imagine if our present day team started drafting o-liners weighing 250lbs. Not many on this board would approve.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:11 pm 

Fucking pathetic!!
My team sucks and we didn’t even make the playoffs with top 5 talent.
But but but if we had our team from almost 50 years ago we’d kick your teams ass :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 pm 

955876 wrote:
I guarantee you BB & Brady both have their sights set on having the most ever when they decide to hang them up.

No reason to get upset over them getting 6 when #7 is likley around the corner.

They’ll get 1 more...

Hail they might get at least two more and really put the record out of reach.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 pm 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Will-the-Shake wrote:

That’s what I was getting at with my initial reply. The war in the trenches, for starters, would not be a war, it would be no contest. Imagine if our present day team started drafting o-liners weighing 250lbs. Not many on this board would approve.

The trenches would be tough. The rest of tbe field would be pretty much even size wise. Not sure even with the size difference the modern day olines could handle Joe Greene and that bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:33 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:

Absolutely correct Nick.
And when you think about it, is that 3 in 50 thing an actual accomplishment? I could own only 3 cars in 50 years if I wanted. But they would break down, rust out, and be totally useless piles of junk. But hey...it’s something I could brag about, and act like it was pretty great...right?

I have had only 3 cars since 1990! But as long as they where reliable I didn't want a new car payment, usually made a change when the reliability started to let up. then in the end I fired them. True story.

But you could also argue that a well placed change is worth more than stability. LIKE RIGHT NOW or anytime the last 3 years! With the talent in place, a different leader could have made the difference, like when Chucky took Dungy's talented Bucs team and won it all. The missing piece can sometimes be the HC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm 

JaySteel72 wrote:
The trenches would be tough. The rest of tbe field would be pretty much even size wise. Not sure even with the size difference the modern day olines could handle Joe Greene and that bunch.

The 70s Steelers would get stomped by a decent 2018/2019 team.

Mean Joe was 260 to 270 at 6'4".

David DeCastro is 316 at 6'5" and doesn't exactly look like a tub of lard. Color me not worried about Ben too much were Mean Joe and the gang going up against our present o-line.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
JaySteel72 wrote:

The 70s Steelers would get stomped by a decent 2018/2019 team.

Mean Joe was 260 to 270 at 6'4".

David DeCastro is 316 at 6'5" and doesn't exactly look like a tub of lard. Color me not worried about Ben too much were Mean Joe and the gang going up against our present o-line.

Stomped? You just named one of the best, most athletic guards in all of football. There ARE alot of tub of shit players running around the Nfl these days that i think Lambert and Blount and Ham, you know, some of tne greatest players of all time would find a way to offset the size differential. Hell, Mel Blount is bigger than any Pats wr. I will never agree with that logic when you are talking about a once in lifetime, generational team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:30 pm 

Offensive linemen today in general are much bigger. Russ Grimm would be one of the smallest guards in the league.

Athletes now in general are bigger, faster, stronger. I understand the 70s team was full of Hall of Fame bad asses. But the contemporary athlete seems to me to be on a different level. You're assuming that because the Steel Curtain dominated 70s teams, they would dominate teams now?

I wonder if Mel Blount could run fast enough actually to lay a hit on some of the WRs playing now.

Not buying it. At all.

Consider all the Olympic records that have been broken since the 70s. Athletes have gotten bigger, faster, stronger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:35 pm 

Have you seen a replay of the Steelers/Rams Super Bowl from 1980 recently? The announcer opens the broadcast in the first possession describing the Steelers O-line, saying something like, "these guys are massive, they average 260 pounds across the offensive line" :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next