It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 6 > 6* = BS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:04 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
In my mind IT IS, an NFL championship is still a championship, you can only win what exists the day you are playing. I think MLB differentiates, I don't think NFL does, I think they still count the Packers as having the most titles.

I divide the league up into different eras. The Packers won the pre-super bowl era. But I can't buy that winning a championship pre-super bowl is the same as winning a super bowl. For one thing, back in the 20's, the league didn't set schedules. Each team set their own schedule, and teams played different numbers of teams on their schedule during a season. Also, there were no playoffs. The team that finished with the best record was just called the league champion that year. Am I really supposed to have as much respect for that as a team winning a super bowl today? Also, pre-super bowl, the NFL champions didn't have to beat the champions of another league which is what winning a super bowl is today. Winning a NFL championship pre-super bowl is like winning a conference championship game today. They are different eras and should be kept--and accounted--differently.

Agree to disagree, you can only win what is in existence, and it's the same league, even though it's evolved over time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:

The media folks gave the Pgh Writers their take on the Steelers image at the SB.....it's now taken a major hit. Will Art wake the fuck up and realize it? It starts by firing his clown coach

I think this ''3 coaches in 50 years'' thing is too big a part of his identity for him to do anything. It's like the whole franchise's biggest badge of honor, even bigger than the 6 Lombardis.

Agreement and that philosophy is stale. Nobody stays anywhere for 15 years anymore. Stupid.

It only makes sense if you feel like you are making progress. Like Belechik, I'd probably not fire him ever at this point, it would have to be like 4-5 losing seasons and no appearance of progressing, but say Brady retired, and suddenly the dominance ended and it wasn't working anymore, it will be interesting to see what happens if BB remains after Brady? But yeah, if it gets bad enough, I'd even find a way to get him out. But with the Steelers, the never fire rule is just automatic for whoever they hire, no matter what is happening. It's just too much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 am 

Nick79 wrote:
R S wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Kids specialize more now, big kids might decide at a younger age to bulk up and play OT, or quit football to play basketball, or never play basketball or football at all and play soccer for 12 years, or play 150 game baseball schedules at age 12. So if you're concentrating on getting big for football, you aren't playing different sports as the seasons change like we did. When football season ended, me and my football teammates probably played basketball in the winter either for the school or the CYO or something and maybe lifted weights twice a week or something, nowadays lots of these kids are immersed in grooming themselves for a certain sport early.

All that specialization is why kids/young adults get injured so fucking much.

True! Little league pitchers throw more innings than pro pitchers do. :lol:

Of all the theories thrown around on why we have seen an increase in MLB pitching arms breaking down and with less innings thrown at the MLB level compared to past eras... a significant increase in innings thrown during youth makes the most sense to me.

14 yds Ben to JuJu/12 yds Ben to JuJu/23 yds Ben to JuJu/17 yds Ben to AB/Inc/12 yds Ben to AB/13 yds Ben to Switz//Inc/Inc/TD 3 yds Ben to AB/26 yds Ben to AB/20 yds Ben to JuJu/Inc/TD 20 yds Ben to AB

Up by 4, pull the plug. Fire Mike Tomlin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:53 am 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
The media folks gave the Pgh Writers their take on the Steelers image at the SB.....it's now taken a major hit. Will Art wake the fuck up and realize it? It starts by firing his clown coach

Wait! The Steelers have a CLOWN COACH?!?!?!? That explains why they are such great CLOWNS!

Good move. But they should also consider getting a FOOTBALL COACH.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Have you seen a replay of the Steelers/Rams Super Bowl from 1980 recently? The announcer opens the broadcast in the first possession describing the Steelers O-line, saying something like, "these guys are massive, they average 260 pounds across the offensive line" :lol:

Exactly.

Do the (sub-headline) math.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:22 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Of all the theories thrown around on why we have seen an increase in MLB pitching arms breaking down and with less innings thrown at the MLB level compared to past eras... a significant increase in innings thrown during youth makes the most sense to me.

When I was in Little League, we'd have like a 12 or 16 game schedule between April and August, maybe 2 games a week, and even if the stud pitcher threw every inning and they didn't, that's no more than 90 innings a year or so, and we really didn't have organized teams any other times of the year, and we didn't have travel teams. Then we'd ALL play other sports.