It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad news for Swiss
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:27 pm 

Irish Exit closed. Walked passed it the other day around 5:00 and it was pitch black in there. Found out later it closed.

Post subject: Re: Bad news for Swiss
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:50 pm 

Funny thing, CT. I'm visiting with my son in new haven. He told me he walked past the exit last Saturday around 6pm and it was closed. Is it permananet?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm 

Hey Swiss, don't know anything about the place you guys are talking about but I did get to NYC for the first time last fall with the Mrs. and we unexpectedly, thoroughly enjoyed it (although I'm not sure living in Manhattan would be as much fun as a quick visit).

Anyway, we also got up to Halifax and drove around N.S. and that too surprised me with how nice it was, the countryside and the city too.

We might head back up that way in the future and perhaps will be able to push on all the way to PEI -- now I can see why you enjoy getting away up there. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm 

There hasn't been any news on it that I've seen. Yelp has it marked closed. They were posting on social media to go there to watch the Super Bowl. So whatever happened, it was abruptly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
Hey Swiss, don't know anything about the place you guys are talking about but I did get to NYC for the first time last fall with the Mrs. and we unexpectedly, thoroughly enjoyed it (although I'm not sure living in Manhattan would be as much fun as a quick visit).

Anyway, we also got up to Halifax and drove around N.S. and that too surprised me with how nice it was, the countryside and the city too.

We might head back up that way in the future and perhaps will be able to push on all the way to PEI -- now I can see why you enjoy getting away up there. 8-)

It really is a great city. I've lived here for 6 years now and every time I say I'm going to relocate for somewhere a bit more economical, it just pulls me back in.

How much of NYC did you get to see?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:24 pm 

Swiss, if it is permanently closed, when you come back to NYC try a place called Hibernia in Hell's Kitchen. It's a Steelers bar albeit smaller than Irish Exit. I would say it's more of a dive bar than Irish Exit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
It really is a great city. I've lived here for 6 years now and every time I say I'm going to relocate for somewhere a bit more economical, it just pulls me back in.

Shouldn't your username be StillerNearCT? :lol: Yeah, for the first time I can now understand your attraction. We didn't have too much time, just the day before and after our cruise to Canada, but it was great.

First surprise about NYC was how genuinely nice everyone was: the Russian Uber guy, the Polish family taking their kids to the Columbus Day Parade, the Indian hotel clerk lady, the Jamaican tour bus driver, the Italian pizza delivery guy (good lord, Brooklyn's got fantastic, cheap pizza places on every corner!) ... Actually, the only stuck-up people we encountered back east were all in Boston! :lol: (although I offer a side note of advice to all young single men with a solid income: go right now, tonight, to Boston -- more beautiful young women working and just out & about in downtown Boston than anywhere else I've ever been, with maybe San Francisco a close 2nd.)

But in NYC we also got a lucky break with the weather. Bahston was rainy, windy as hell in Maine, scenic but snowing in Canada -- but it suddenly all cleared up back in NY and was sunny and warm as we attempted to cram in the entire island of Manhattan into 12 hours.

Started at the 9/11 memorial, toured all over downtown, got lost for awhile in Central Park, had lunch at a really nice overpriced coffee shop near Times Square, saw Radio City, Carnegie Hall, the opening of the ice rink at Rockefeller Center ... 'the city that never sleeps' is correct.

I laughed at myself upon returning to SoCal and how everything here now seemed so flat and spread out, no horns honking in traffic, no stores on every block open 24/7. We'd definitely like to go back again sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:27 pm 

How is this thread not about 6>5?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:40 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
First surprise about NYC was how genuinely nice everyone was
Yeah. This is a common meme about NYC. Everyone is genuinely nice, if you act nice. Be a dick and you'll get dick in response, X 20.

But there is way more to NYC than the common tourist attractions. And it takes more than a few days to discover it. Like any other big, cosmopolitan city.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:41 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

Shouldn't your username be StillerNearCT? :lol: Yeah, for the first time I can now understand your attraction. We didn't have too much time, just the day before and after our cruise to Canada, but it was great.

First surprise about NYC was how genuinely nice everyone was: the Russian Uber guy, the Polish family taking their kids to the Columbus Day Parade, the Indian hotel clerk lady, the Jamaican tour bus driver, the Italian pizza delivery guy (good lord, Brooklyn's got fantastic, cheap pizza places on every corner!) ... Actually, the only stuck-up people we encountered back east were all in Boston! :lol: (although I offer a side note of advice to all young single men with a solid income: go right now, tonight, to Boston -- more beautiful young women working and just out & about in downtown Boston than anywhere else I've ever been, with maybe San Francisco a close 2nd.)

But in NYC we also got a lucky break with the weather. Bahston was rainy, windy as hell in Maine, scenic but snowing in Canada -- but it suddenly all cleared up back in NY and was sunny and warm as we attempted to cram in the entire island of Manhattan into 12 hours.

Started at the 9/11 memorial, toured all over downtown, got lost for awhile in Central Park, had lunch at a really nice overpriced coffee shop near Times Square, saw Radio City, Carnegie Hall, the opening of the ice rink at Rockefeller Center ... 'the city that never sleeps' is correct.

I laughed at myself upon returning to SoCal and how everything here now seemed so flat and spread out, no horns honking in traffic, no stores on every block open 24/7. We'd definitely like to go back again sometime.

I'm starting to miss NYC. I'll have to go for a visit soon.