It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just wondering about Bell…
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:27 pm 

I was just watching some highlights from 2016 and 2017. Bell is certainly an fun back to watch (or at least he was). But…

He isn’t very fast. There were some plays where he was tackled from behind, after a 7-8 run, where Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, or LaDainian Tomlinson would have hit the jets and taken it to the house.

He seemed to be tentative sometimes. I know that some of that is his little stutter-step thing. But after Burflict took out his knee, he seemed to be a little more timid. Avoiding contact.

So, I’m wondering if some of his foolishness might be fear. Is he afraid to go back out there? Is he rusty? Is he afraid that he won’t do well if/when he comes back? And I kinda wonder if he will ever return to the NFL. I’m really not sure he wants to anymore.

Just some thoughts. Not an expert. But I just kinda have a feeling about ol’ Lev.

Post subject: Re: Just wondering about Bell…
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:49 pm 

I think he knew he's lost a step, and afraid of getting worn-down or injured with another year of 25+ touches a game.

Another year of 3.9 YPC and 7.0 yards per catch wasn't going to get him the contract he was hoping for. I think he's looking to pull a Lamar Woodley - get a big guarantee and then just "not work" himself out of shape and out of the league.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:31 pm 

Ol' Lev has finished a grand total of one season healthy. He may know his own limitations.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:47 pm 

Bell saved this FO from itself in refusing the contract/s he was offered.

I just do not believe smart, successful teams commit significant resources to the RB position.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm 

treat88 wrote:

I just do not believe smart, successful teams commit significant resources to the RB position.

So you’re saying the Rams fall in this category, giving 45 million to Gurley?

They also gave AD a ton in the offseason...if they win the SB on Sunday you can throw all of that out the window no matter what Gurley does the rest of his career because he won a SB. Bell and AB are still waiting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
treat88 wrote:

They also gave AD a ton in the offseason...if they win the SB on Sunday you can throw all of that out the window no matter what Gurley does the rest of his career because he won a SB. Bell and AB are still waiting.

SB or no, I don't believe spending that amount of money on Gurley is smart business for an NFL FO.

It doesn't preclude a team winning, but I just believe it can be better spent elsewhere and typically ends up being a poor invesment.

There's not a hard or fast rule here. Just my take on the best way to construct a team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:34 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Any team can catch fire and run to the SB, and even win it. Heck if the Rams win it, Gurley may not even be a key part of their win vs the Pats (due to injury). Just goes to show you how teams can overcome the unavailability of a star RB but not to an elite QB or pass rusher.

But if you want long term success- you don't pay big dollars to a RB in today's NFL. My prediction is you won't see the Rams in any more SB's with this Gurley contract

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:02 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
treat88 wrote:

Any team can catch fire and run to the SB, and even win it. Heck if the Rams win it, Gurley may not even be a key part of their win vs the Pats (due to injury). Just goes to show you how teams can overcome the unavailability of a star RB but not to an elite QB or pass rusher.

But if you want long term success- you don't pay big dollars to a RB in today's NFL. My prediction is you won't see the Rams in any more SB's with this Gurley contract

Anderson has nearly twice as many carries as Gurley this ps (39 to 20). Anderson has the same # of TDs as Gurley and more yds rushing than Gurley this ps.

Rams dominated the LOS vs Cowboys and their RBs took advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:05 pm 

Rams don't have that franchise QB contract to pay yet, either. Apples and oranges.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm 

Steel Mike wrote:
Rams don't have that franchise QB contract to pay yet, either. Apples and oranges.

yes; on girley; for one hes much better then bell. and younger.
you must also realize this is team in new-old city and trying to build the base back with winning and stars. not paying the qb a lot ; yet. if they refused to pay their current stars gurley-donald it would look bad to the new fan base wanting to fill stadium .
bell and steelers in far different situation. bells over rated dick.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:21 pm 

Wasn’t Anderson available after Connor went down?

Would have been nice to hand him the ball in Oakland instead of Samuels who ended being grossly ineffective that day.

He did do a great job following week against Pats so my intent isn’t to bash the kid.

Still seems foolish to not pick up the vet when we were still a playoff hopeful. Especially considering we had multiple options in terms of dead weight we could have cut.

But we dont live in our fears so stood pat. Worked out well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:46 pm 

The thing about Gurley too is that the RAMs did not really give him the giant contract that Bell and fans think.

He only got something like $21.95 million guaranteed at signing, although many claim it is double that. But the RAMs had qualifiers and stipulations in it where Gurley would get money to him after the league year starts in March for each year. If he blows out a knee in the Super Bowl, tears all three ligaments and the team doctors think he won't be the same, the RAMs can cut him before March and don't owe him anymore money.

The thing with Bell is that he was slowing down, he was being caught from behind, he was having more trouble being elusive, his runs and catches over 20+ yards were declining. And where were the touchdowns???

DeAngelo Williams in just 10 starts had 11 TDs, if he had started all 16 games what might he have had??

James Conner had 13 TDs in 13 games. A RB in this offense should easily average 1 TD per game. Conner did it, Williams did it, and yet Bell, given so many touches, so many carries, catches could only ever score 11 TDs in a season??

All of these generational complements, once-in-a-lifetime complements, comparing him to LT, to Faulk, please, that was always bullshit. Those guys scored touchdowns!!! 22, 24, 26, 31 touchdowns in a season. Bell was never in their category.

And as I like to point out, he was becoming a fumbler. Fumbled 7 times in his last 24 regular season games. Conner fumbled some this year and there were some people throwing out that told trope of Bell being so secure with the football. :roll:

I don't see how Bell is going to recoup the $14.544 million that he lost this season. He has the look of a RB who may sign a great contract but then be hard pressed to see the end of that contract. He may get that initial big signing bonus but then be cut in year 3 when he is 30 years old and even slower.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:49 pm 

bell does not have the gear and think we seen something that conner showed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 pm 

Bell never had elite speed. Even in his first two seasons, I saw a linebacker run him down directly from behind - not from an angle. Bell is separated from other RB"s by his elite vision, burst from a stand still to full speed (which is modest), and his feet. He is special at making the first defender miss.

His toolbox is loaded with so much, speed isn't a big deal. RB contracts are debatable, not getting into that. There is great merit on both sides of that discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:34 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The thing about Gurley too is that the RAMs did not really give him the giant contract that Bell and fans think.

He only got something like $21.95 million guaranteed at signing, although many claim it is double that. But the RAMs had qualifiers and stipulations in it where Gurley would get money to him after the league year starts in March for each year. If he blows out a knee in the Super Bowl, tears all three ligaments and the team doctors think he won't be the same, the RAMs can cut him before March and don't owe him anymore money.

The thing with Bell is that he was slowing down, he was being caught from behind, he was having more trouble being elusive, his runs and catches over 20+ yards were declining. And where were the touchdowns???

DeAngelo Williams in just 10 starts had 11 TDs, if he had started all 16 games what might he have had??

James Conner had 13 TDs in 13 games. A RB in this offense should easily average 1 TD per game. Conner did it, Williams did it, and yet Bell, given so many touches, so many carries, catches could only ever score 11 TDs in a season??

All of these generational complements, once-in-a-lifetime complements, comparing him to LT, to Faulk, please, that was always bullshit. Those guys scored touchdowns!!! 22, 24, 26, 31 touchdowns in a season. Bell was never in their category.

And as I like to point out, he was becoming a fumbler. Fumbled 7 times in his last 24 regular season games. Conner fumbled some this year and there were some people throwing out that told trope of Bell being so secure with the football. :roll:

I don't see how Bell is going to recoup the $14.544 million that he lost this season. He has the look of a RB who may sign a great contract but then be hard pressed to see the end of that contract. He may get that initial big signing bonus but then be cut in year 3 when he is 30 years old and even slower.

agree 100. not to mention injuries surgery's and suspension. and dude helped this team to the shitter this year with his reality series type drama. fuck him. I don't think he will ever be as productive again as he was, we got his best and he was good. not all time great by any stretch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:09 pm 

Quote:
Steelers still considering using transition tag on Le'Veon Bell http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2591 ... eveon-bell
Trade Bait?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:22 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Steelers still considering using transition tag on Le'Veon Bell http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2591 ... eveon-bell
Trade Bait?

It makes sense. Problem is, once he signs the tag it is guaranteed.

Though I can imagine a scenario where PIT essentially trades some of their cap. Replace the tagged contract with a similar one that includes bonus money that PIT would eat in a trade, and then another team gets him for the remaining $6M base salary.

Obviously they're hoping to match an offer and then trade him to the same team (again, possibly absorbing $5-$10M that is essentially buying a draft pick). Except that seems prohibitive with what likely will be a $20M+ signing bonus.

It will be interesting, if for no other reason than just to screw with Bell. But you really don't want that money tied-up very long, although they'll create that flexibility with Ben's new deal.