It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Ben's Contract Extension Talks Begin
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:24 am 

Jobus, I totally agree about the scheme but they do seem willing to tweak/adjust their scheme if the player is there.

Joe Haden. We have been playing more and more man to man since he came to the team. He has even been shadowing and following the other teams best WR in some games, but sadly, Burns troubles, the lack of a competent CB across from Haden has probably limited everything that we could do with Joe.

McDonald. We trade for him and even before him, signing Ladarius Green, the Steelers clearly wanted to have a fast, athletic TE to go deeper down the field. Again, changing the scheme when the player was there and then they followed through with it.

The end of the season when they really seemed to sour on the two down linemen, the 2-4-5 scheme, and were running more 3 down linemen, that to me shows that anything is possible this offseason. Maybe they really surprise people and go for a surprise DT?? Or a DE??

As far as the debate of Finney and Foster, why can't they sign both??? Finney can play center and guard so he has value but the tricky thing with him is that he is a RFA and I believe they would have to assign a 2nd round tender on him, some $3.1 million to keep him from being poached. That to me is too high, makes better sense to give him a 3 year deal, like for $7-8 million where he could have really low cap hit for 2019, like less than $2 million.

Foster, they have always lowballed him for whatever reason. I really feel for him. His last two contracts were for 3 years, $5.5 million and then 3 years, $9.6 million. He really, really outperformed both of those deals to the point where it is really embarrassing for the Steelers. He is the players union rep, a real standup guy, high character but he is 33 years old now.

I can't really see the Steelers now giving him $4-5 million per season. But if Ben asserted himself and pushed to keep him, it isn't like we are desperate for money, there is the cap space to sign him and Finney.

I will say this, I worry about both of them and their injury history of late. I would still like the Steelers to draft a guard relatively high in the next year or two, another 3rd round gem like Chuks would do nicely.

The Steelers have always done pretty well when they have had the money to pursue legitimate free agents. Duval Love, Kevin Green, Will Wolford, Jeff Hartings, James Farrior, Ryan Clark. Of that group, Wolford didn't make the Pro Bowl but was an alternate one year.

The other thing that I have thought of late is that Rooney can really jump start a change of culture, or get back to a championship culture by bringing in some high character, talented free agents.

When we brought in Kimo Von Oelhoffen?? And James Farrior?? And Ryan Clark??? You don't think that had a profound impact on our defense, on our team??? Not just on the field, but in the locker room too???

On offense this season, Vance McDonald playing with that physical, nasty demeanor, punishing people. His personality, his playing style, it was reinvigorating for this offense.

Rooney should be chomping at the bit to bring in 3 big free agents to give this team a jolt to the system.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:07 pm 

Lets him bring in some playmakers as well as high value guys.The next season will be looked at in how the steelers handle the Brown and Bell BS and what they attack in FA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Jobus, I totally agree about the scheme but they do seem willing to tweak/adjust their scheme if the player is there.

Joe Haden. We have been playing more and more man to man since he came to the team. He has even been shadowing and following the other teams best WR in some games, but sadly, Burns troubles, the lack of a competent CB across from Haden has probably limited everything that we could do with Joe.

McDonald. We trade for him and even before him, signing Ladarius Green, the Steelers clearly wanted to have a fast, athletic TE to go deeper down the field. Again, changing the scheme when the player was there and then they followed through with it.

The end of the season when they really seemed to sour on the two down linemen, the 2-4-5 scheme, and were running more 3 down linemen, that to me shows that anything is possible this offseason. Maybe they really surprise people and go for a surprise DT?? Or a DE??

As far as the debate of Finney and Foster, why can't they sign both??? Finney can play center and guard so he has value but the tricky thing with him is that he is a RFA and I believe they would have to assign a 2nd round tender on him, some $3.1 million to keep him from being poached. That to me is too high, makes better sense to give him a 3 year deal, like for $7-8 million where he could have really low cap hit for 2019, like less than $2 million.

Foster, they have always lowballed him for whatever reason. I really feel for him. His last two contracts were for 3 years, $5.5 million and then 3 years, $9.6 million. He really, really outperformed both of those deals to the point where it is really embarrassing for the Steelers. He is the players union rep, a real standup guy, high character but he is 33 years old now.

I can't really see the Steelers now giving him $4-5 million per season. But if Ben asserted himself and pushed to keep him, it isn't like we are desperate for money, there is the cap space to sign him and Finney.

I will say this, I worry about both of them and their injury history of late. I would still like the Steelers to draft a guard relatively high in the next year or two, another 3rd round gem like Chuks would do nicely.

The Steelers have always done pretty well when they have had the money to pursue legitimate free agents. Duval Love, Kevin Green, Will Wolford, Jeff Hartings, James Farrior, Ryan Clark. Of that group, Wolford didn't make the Pro Bowl but was an alternate one year.

The other thing that I have thought of late is that Rooney can really jump start a change of culture, or get back to a championship culture by bringing in some high character, talented free agents.

When we brought in Kimo Von Oelhoffen?? And James Farrior?? And Ryan Clark??? You don't think that had a profound impact on our defense, on our team??? Not just on the field, but in the locker room too???

On offense this season, Vance McDonald playing with that physical, nasty demeanor, punishing people. His personality, his playing style, it was reinvigorating for this offense.

Rooney should be chomping at the bit to bring in 3 big free agents to give this team a jolt to the system.
But. But. But. You've not detailed how tomlin sucks and the rooney's can't change anything. I'm confused.

Thanks for posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8