It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ben's Contract Extension Talks Begin
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:50 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
I am ok with patch because I think Mason is going to be good but they need to patch with playmaker especially in FA and not bargain bins

Hope so. Scrunge has me all excited we're going to make some noise in free agency this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:39 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Hope so. Scrunge has me all excited we're going to make some noise in free agency this year.

Yeah...let’s go with this!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:02 pm 

We see if they finally make the move not optimistic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
I am ok with patch because I think Mason is going to be good but they need to patch with playmaker especially in FA and not bargain bins

But they'll have 50 bazillion dollars in cap space to work with unlike most years!

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:21 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
But they'll have 50 bazillion dollars in cap space to work with unlike most years!

Are you familiar with the Pittsburgh Steelers?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:

Great. So that means lavish extensions for the Vince Williams' and LJ Forts of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Obviously, we do what we do.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:48 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Great. So that means lavish extensions for the Vince Williams' and LJ Forts of the world.

You forgot Foster, who is likely priority #1

In fact I bet he's the first re-sign of the year. I'd put an avatar bet on it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:29 pm 

Not only that, I support signing Foster first. One of the very few leaders they have, and a good player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm 

Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Obviously, we do what we do.

God that avatar is hot...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

E-gads, Jeem, hope that's in sarca-font? Your link to Coach McVey's gorgeous GF was sweeeet --- this one's more like Marilyn Manson's offstage look ... :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:06 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

E-gads, Jeem, hope that's in sarca-font? Your link to Coach McVey's gorgeous GF was sweeeet --- this one's more like Marilyn Manson's offstage look ... :shock: :lol:

Thank you, franco>madden. I thought it was just me...everyone going bonkers over this “chick” that looks like a red head tranny to me. Oh well...to each his own, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:32 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
franco>madden wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Thank you, franco>madden. I thought it was just me...everyone going bonkers over this “chick” that looks like a red head tranny to me. Oh well...to each his own, I guess.

Pretty sure she’s a singer white steel wolfe is nuts about. Obviously lost an avatar bet with him I think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:56 am 

I agree about Ramon but i also need them to add a playmaker to this defense in FA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 am 

The idea we can't get another ring with Ben at qb because he is not good enough as a leader is sports nonsense.

They can't all be Drew Brees in the leadership department, and they don't have to be.

I wouldn't call Kevin Durant a good leader. No Durant, no dynasty. He's the most gifted player on the Warriors, but not their best leader not even close.

I wonder what kind leader the brash Larry Bird was as a player.

Kobe Bryant was the leader of the Lakers after Shaq left and got 2 more rings. Kobe had a history of people skills issues, many players did not like him. Also, Kobe wasn't a smart player for years post Shaq and clashed with Phil Jackson, but the light bulb eventually came on for Kobe bright enough anyway.

Was Michael Jordan a natural leader, a great leader? No, he wasn't. He was an all about me scoring machine before Phil Jackson with no thought of how to make his teammates better nor was he interesting in doing so. He learned what championship level basketball looked like from Phil Jackson. Jordan even showed lack of people skills in his HOF induction after his playing days were over.

Colin Cowherd on Aaron Rodgers criticizing his wide receivers... (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Cowherd).

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1294790211596

I'm calling nonsense on the idea Aaron Rodgers can't be the QB of another SB winning team due to lack of people skills, lack of leadership skills.

More from Rodgers...

Quote:
Said Rodgers on Sunday: "We were championship defensive level and non-playoff team offensive level today. That was not great by any stretch of the imagination. We need to find ways to get our playmakers in position to get some more opportunities. You know, a game like today -- Davante's a tough cover for anybody, but he should have had 20 targets today. They couldn't stop him. They dared to play one-high a few times. So, we have to find ways to get him the ball and Jimmy as well."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24862403/mike-mccarthy-ok-aaron-rodgers-critical-comments

Last edited by Havoc on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
franco>madden wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Maybe it's the red hair- I love red hair.

To each his own.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:15 am 

Quote:

To be honest, I’m a red head guy too, but for some reason this particular red head doesn’t do it for me. She just has an unnatural look, IMO. Maybe it’s just the pics, idk...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

You forgot Foster, who is likely priority #1

In fact I bet he's the first re-sign of the year. I'd put an avatar bet on it

My point was we’re not going out and spending that cap space on a bunch of high priced free agents, because that’s not what we do.

Instead, we’ll overpay a bunch of middle tier role players because they know our playbook, even if they’re not talented enough to actually execute that same playbook.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Quote:

To be honest, I’m a red head guy too, but for some reason this particular red head doesn’t do it for me. She just has an unnatural look, IMO. Maybe it’s just the pics, idk...
I'm in agreement. Now if she were standing in front of me, I might think differently.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:07 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Quote:

I'm in agreement. Now if she were standing in front of me, I might think differently.

True... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:02 pm 

My point was we’re not going out and spending that cap space on a bunch of high priced free agents, because that’s not what we do.

Instead, we’ll overpay a bunch of middle tier role players because they know our playbook, even if they’re not talented enough to actually execute that same playbook.

Funny how many of you seem to be oblivious to the past two seasons.

We did sign Joe Haden to a 3 year $27 million contract.

We did trade for Vance McDonald, and inherited the remaining 4 years of his 5 year, $31 million contract from the 49ers.

They made more trades the past two seasons then I can ever remember, yes, most of them did not work out but how is that business as usual??

When has this team ever just sat on money?? Just sat with $40-50 million in cap space??? Answer?? Never. This team is not some bottom dwelling, loser of a team. This organization is not the Cincy Bengals where being cheap and thrifty, not paying players, not paying for scouting, keeping as much money as you can every year is the ultimate goal.

It was reported this past week that the Steelers are rolling over $18.2 million from last season into 2019.

Many sites are reporting that the Steelers are now either $10.2 million under the cap (Spotrac), or $19.2 million under the cap (Over the Cap).

The one mistake that Spotrac is making is that they don't understand that Ryan Shazier's cap hit for 2019 is not tolling at $8.7 million, but instead is counting as some $458,000 because that is the base salary that the Steelers restructured his 5th year option to when they wanted to pay out the money to him all at once. It allowed Ryan to get his money and also allowed this team to avoid having that $8.7 million count two years in row.

So, Spotrac, has Shazier down as counting for $8.7 million when he shouldn't count at all, that $458,000 doesn't even place him in the top 51. So, with that little mistake fixed, Spotrac's number matches Over the Cap. Or does it???

In looking over Spotrac's numbers, they already have the rookie draft pool for 2019 calculated in their numbers, some $6.26 million, is Over the Cap figuring that cost into their totals???

Regardless, that $19 million is a starting point. The Steelers can drastically increase that number, double it, even more, this month, in February by doing 6 things.

One, they give Ben a new contract extension, this could free up $8 million.

Two, they give Pouncey a new contract extension, this could free up $3 million.

Three, they give Dupree a new contract, that could free up $6 million.

Four, they give Haden a new contract extension, this could free up $3 million.

Those are 4 moves right there, signing 4 players and as paradoxical as it sounds, the Steelers created $20 million in cap space in the process. So, poof we are now $39 million flush with cap space.

Fifth move is to cut Marcus Gilbert, saving $4.915 million.

Sixth move is to cut Morgan Burnett, saving $5.05 million.

That brings the team to $49 million.

A Seventh move, which I personally hope happens is to move on from Brown, that would increase the cap space to $50 million.

If I am the Steelers I do all of these moves and then, armed with $50 million I attack, I pounce on the first day of free agency. I pointed out in another thread how hypothetically I signed 3 players, a CB, a S and an OLB to 3 contracts totaling $205 million and yet the first year cap hit of that trio, combined, was just $24 million.

$50 million is enough money to compete with the big boys in free agency, the Steelers have to do the work to get there by doing the 7 moves that I outlined above. Time is short and this month is when it has to be done.

Then when the draft comes, and we are armed with two first round picks, we can fortify our team even further.

The future does not have to be bleak, the Steelers are in a beautiful position, have more options and more cash than any other offseason that I can remember.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:17 pm 

Am I the only one who would rather let Foster go, let Finney take over, and use that money on an actual good free agent on the defense?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 am 

Until they finally get a playmaker for defense with FA. We see if they are serious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 am 

cop1211 wrote:
Am I the only one who would rather let Foster go, let Finney take over, and use that money on an actual good free agent on the defense?

I think that would be penny wise and pound foolish. Finney doesn't have nearly the anchor Foster has, and that interior pocket is life and death for Ben.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:31 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
Until they finally get a playmaker for defense with FA. We see if they are serious

We keep talking about bringing in a “playmaker”, as if that’s a designated position. Playmakers are scheme dependent. You can sign an in his prime Ed Reed, but in the current scheme he’d be just another DB. Change up what they do on the defensive side, and the “playmaking” will happen. Unless they can find a super freak athlete like Troy Polamalu, trust me, there aren’t any of those out there, it’s more about scheme and coaching than throwing money at the problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next