It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: In Other News: Gladys Knight to sing Anthem for SB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:27 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Tebow knelt DURING THE GAME. Multiple times. He made it his thing. It invaded the game. His religiosity and opposition to abortion.

Kaepernick knelt during a minute and a half anthem. Before the game.

I thought Tebow knelt w/ the football and was praying in general? Isn't that where the rule came into play that you "cannot go to your knees to celebrate" once upon a time?

PS- Reggie White used to lead a group prayer after the game among teammates and opponents

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:28 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
44LetzRide wrote:
Ironically, Tim Tebow kneeled during the anthem for an entire season in protest of abortion. Very few people were offended. A-freeakin-mazing.

:shock: Is that true?

That's about as fake news as it gets... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:34 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Tebow knelt DURING THE GAME. Multiple times. He made it his thing. It invaded the game. His religiosity and opposition to abortion.

Kaepernick knelt during a minute and a half anthem. Before the game.

I thought Tebow knelt w/ the football and was praying in general? Isn't that where the rule came into play that you "cannot go to your knees to celebrate" once upon a time?

PS- Reggie White used to lead a group prayer after the game among teammates and opponents

I hate to break it to the christianaphobe's but there have been players kneeling and praying in the endzone after touchdowns since the 80's at minimum. I remember is was common practice for some Notre Dame players on the '88 championship team. It's called selective outrage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 pm 

R S wrote:
It's called selective outrage.
That's exactly right. Those that hate CK for kneeling during the anthem selectively chose him because he was highlighting a movement most owners and white fans dislike.

Tebow was shoving his religion down our throats. During the game. Sure, others make a sign of the cross or point to the sky, but taking a knee, when you've already explained it's a devotion to your god, is shoving their ideology in my face. During the game. Broadcasters made it a point to show him and his tattoos displaying his religiosity. You cannot deny that. Every news outlet was reporting on it and he made his opinions on abortion known.

So yeah. Selective. Religion (ideology) and forcing it on us during a game is a okay. But kneeling as a sign of respect protesting how black americans are being treated (not ideology, not politics, not religion) is bullshit and shouldn't be allowed. You should be fired for it. Yeah. Ok. Christianity ok. Turn a football game into church? Absolutely. Protesting the killing innocent blacks is not ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:40 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
R S wrote:
That's exactly right. Those that hate CK for kneeling during the anthem selectively chose him because he was highlighting a movement most owners and white fans dislike.

Tebow was shoving his religion down our throats. During the game. Sure, others make a sign of the cross or point to the sky, but taking a knee, when you've already explained it's a devotion to your god, is shoving their ideology in my face. During the game. Broadcasters made it a point to show him and his tattoos displaying his religiosity. You cannot deny that. Every news outlet was reporting on it and he made his opinions on abortion known.

So yeah. Selective. Religion (ideology) and forcing it on us during a game is a okay. But kneeling as a sign of respect protesting how black americans are being treated (not ideology, not politics, not religion) is bullshit and shouldn't be allowed. You should be fired for it. Yeah. Ok. Christianity ok. Turn a football game into church? Absolutely. Protesting the killing innocent blacks is not ok.

Are you pissed when black players kneel to pray when they score touchdowns? Or it is only annoying religious ideology when its a white guy?

Because I think if CK was white, he'd have just as many people pissing on him for what they construe as disrespectign the flag.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:52 pm 

R S wrote:
Are you pissed when black players kneel to pray when they score touchdowns? Or it is only annoying religious ideology when its a white guy?
Most players, black or white, don't pronounce their religiosity during their careers. They don't take every opportunity to evangelize. Tebow did. He used it to his advantage. Also, when players assemble at the end of the game, I don't have to watch. I turn the tv off. Conversely, I mute the TV and don't watch until kickoff.

R S wrote:
Because I think if CK was white, he'd have just as many people pissing on him for what they construe as disrespectign the flag.
I doubt that, but it's kinda moot, eh? Something we'll never know.

But I find it interesting that everybody is whining and complaining that the kids from Covington Catholic school are being identified with the hats they wore, and the conservative right is up in arms. Saying that just because they wear those hats, they aren't racists. But when CK wears a Che Guevara shirt, he's a fucking commie. No two ways about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm 

oh boy, Che? now i'm laughing :lol: I'm not going down your anti capitalism rabbit hole.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm 

R S wrote:
oh boy, Che? now i'm laughing :lol: I'm not going down your anti capitalism rabbit hole.
It has nothing to do with capitalism.

Try and keep up. I know, it's hard. But I have faith in you. You're not stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 pm 

[quote="R S”]Are you pissed when black players kneel to pray when they score touchdowns? Or it is only annoying religious ideology when its a white guy.[/quote]

Evangelical white dudes are way more annoying. Easy call. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 pm 

R S wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
R S wrote:

Because I think if CK was white, he'd have just as many people pissing on him for what they construe as disrespecting the flag.

Wait, CK is not white?! :?

But what about the people that poured their lives into raising him?!
:o

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:31 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
R S wrote:

But you sure come across that way...

COR-TEN wrote:
...I find it interesting that everybody is whining and complaining that the kids from Covington Catholic school are being identified with the hats they wore, and the conservative right is up in arms. Saying that just because they wear those hats, they aren't racists.

That's so far off base from the real story involving the Covington Catholic kids that you really need to just back away before you make a bigger fool of yourself...

...unless you align yourself with Black Hebrew Israelite ideology, then by all means, as you were...

COR-TEN wrote:
Try and keep up.

Last edited by Steeledge on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:32 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
[quote="R S”]Are you pissed when black players kneel to pray when they score touchdowns? Or it is only annoying religious ideology when its a white guy.[/quote]

Evangelical white dudes are way more annoying. Easy call. :D[/quote]

It just never bothers me enough to care if a player thanks God during an interview. I guess i'm weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:32 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
Ironically, Tim Tebow kneeled during the anthem for an entire season in protest of abortion. Very few people were offended. A-freeakin-mazing.

It’s also amazing when people make stuff up and recite it as fact. Where exactly did you get that he kneeled DURING the anthem for an entire season?

What you posted is simply not true. I just looked it up to clarify my own recollection of those events.

Tebow did take a knee before & after games in a moment of personal prayer. It was never done DURING the anthem itself. That is a rather distinctive difference between the two.

If I’m wrong then show proof. And no, some rapper posting “remember when Tebow did it and nobody cared” is not proof. Especially when said rapper is conveniently changing history to fit a narrative.

On the Tebow statement, I am wrong. I apologize to everyone, I should have fact checked that statement before posting. That was irresponsible by me. The other recounts on the 2 incidents here in SC are 100%. My points concerning why Kaepernick and others demonstrated in the way they chose to are also correct. These players have family members who have served and still are serving in the armed forces. I get annoyed when their efforts are diminished because the problem is difficult to face.

Last edited by 44LetzRide on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:36 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
R S wrote:

But you sure come across that way...

COR-TEN wrote:
...I find it interesting that everybody is whining and complaining that the kids from Covington Catholic school are being identified with the hats they wore, and the conservative right is up in arms. Saying that just because they wear those hats, they aren't racists.

That's so far off base from the real story involving the Covington Catholic kids that you really need to just back away before you make a bigger fool of yourself...

...unless you align yourself with Black Hebrew Israelite ideology, then by all means, as you were...

COR-TEN wrote:
Try and keep up.

I see you are also one having trouble keeping up. You can't see the distinction.

Oh. And fuck off. Instead of addressing my argument, you resort to ad hominem. I wasn't talking about the "real story." It was about knee jerk reactions to imagery, asshole. What you see isn't always what is contained therein. But you'd rather be a dickhead.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:53 pm 

44LetzRide wrote:
Dylan Roof shoots up a church in S. Carolina and he is arrested with no violence at all. A whte man and his son were under investigation is S. Carolina for child molestation. When the police arrived to serve a warrant, they were fired upon. One policeman died on the scene, and another officer lost her life weeks later in the hospital. from her wounds. The man and his son were arrested without being shot. However, many black people who don't make a millions have been brutalized an killed by cops. And the punishment for these cops? Very often, administrative leave, and not much else.

These isolated incidents prove what?
Say it again: Selective Outrage.

Would you have been satisfied if Mr. Roof died in a shootout?
Or, what if more than 2 deputies attempted to serve that warrant, or even if the 2 that were caught unawares had any clue that they were walking into an ambush?
You think they wouldn't have returned fire?
Because I guarantee they would have, and if they killed the child molesting mother fucker, I also guarantee they'd have gotten the same "administrative leave" you bemoan...

I guarantee either scenario could have been the case, but you want to pick and choose what to "expose" and make it about race.

Shame on you, asshole! :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:08 pm 

R S wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Evangelical white dudes are way more annoying. Easy call. :D[/quote][/quote]

It just never bothers me enough to care if a player thanks God during an interview. I guess i'm weird.[/quote]

Of course it should not bother us. It’s small-souled to get worked up about stuff like that.

But I’ll take a black Baptist gospel clap and stomp funk hymnal over evangelical preening every Sunday.

Check out the Masonic Wonders’ “I Call Him”. Now THAT is feeling the Lord. 8-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jvyvTn1fzYk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:11 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I see you are also one having trouble keeping up. You can't see the distinction.

Oh, I can see the distinction you're trying to make, but I completely disagree with what you're trying to do (along with most reasonable, sane people, I'd wager)...

The premises you use in support of that "distinction" are weak, agenda driven, and flat out ignorant of the situation.
What's more, I'm guessing it's not the first or last time you find yourself in such a predicament...

COR-TEN wrote:
Carry on.

...indeed...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

Oh, I can see the distinction you're trying to make, but I completely disagree with what you're trying to do (along with most reasonable, sane people, I'd wager)...

The premises you use in support of that "distinction" are weak, agenda driven, and flat out ignorant of the situation.
What's more, I'm guessing it's not the first or last time you find yourself in such a predicament...

COR-TEN wrote:
Carry on.

...indeed...
Holy shit you still don't get it.

And as usual, when a conservative accuses you of something, you can be guaranteed they are engaging in the exact same behavior.

You fit that to a tee.

But I'll remember you're an idiot every time I read your posts.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:20 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Evangelical white dudes are way more annoying. Easy call. :D

It just never bothers me enough to care if a player thanks God during an interview. I guess i'm weird.

Of course it should not bother us. It’s small-souled to get worked up about stuff like that.

But I’ll take a black Baptist gospel clap and stomp funk hymnal over evangelical preening every Sunday.

Check out the Masonic Wonders’ “I Call Him”. Now THAT is feeling the Lord. 8-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jvyvTn1fzYk

...Interesting where this thread is going...
...please, Lord, don't let it be locked or have anybody get banned over it!

;) :mrgreen:

...come to think of it, Sister Knight used to be Southern Baptist, but I suspect Y'all would be :o to know how she identifies herself religiously these days...

Last edited by Steeledge on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:21 pm 

COR was actually making an important point.

People are predisposed to believe certain things...then unless they do a lot of work not to, they will seek out evidence that supports what they already believe. Disconfirming evidence will be ignored or be interpreted as confirming evidence.

Thus...there will be people who see Colin Kaepernick wearing a Che shirt and will believe he’s a commie socialist...just as there are those who will see white Catholic kids wearing MAGA hats and automatically assume they are racist.

They’ll look for confirming evidence for each of these beliefs, and disconfirming evidence will be ignored.

This is important to remember because it’s why people get sucked up in these stories like what happened at the Lincoln Memorial. The people who released the clip that made the kids look bad did it on purpose because they KNEW those who associate MAGA hats with racism would automatically interpret the actions the kids were taking as disrespectful and racist.

Even when seen in context of what actually happened, it took a while for those who were predisposed to view the MAGA kids unfavorably to change their opinions (and some haven’t yet).

Same thing...those who were offended at what CK did by protesting the flag will be predisposed to believe all sorts of negative things about Colin Kaepernick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:26 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
COR was actually making an important point.

People are predisposed to believe certain things...then unless they do a lot of work not to, they will seek out evidence that supports what they already believe. Disconfirming evidence will be ignored or be interpreted as confirming evidence.

Thus...there will be people who see Colin Kaepernick wearing a Che shirt and will believe he’s a commie socialist...just as there are those who will see white Catholic kids wearing MAGA hats and automatically assume they are racist.

They’ll look for confirming evidence for each of these beliefs, and disconfirming evidence will be ignored.

This is important to remember because it’s why people get sucked up in these stories like what happened at the Lincoln Memorial. The people who released the clip that made the kids look bad did it on purpose because they KNEW those who associate MAGA hats with racism would automatically interpret the actions the kids were taking as disrespectful and racist.

Even when seen in context of what actually happened, it took a while for those who were predisposed to view the MAGA kids unfavorably to change their opinions (and some haven’t yet).

Same thing...those who were offended at what CK did by protesting the flag will be predisposed to believe all sorts of negative things about Colin Kaepernick.
Jesus fucking christ. I'm glad somebody understood my post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:31 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Instead of addressing my argument, you resort to ad hominem.

COR-TEN wrote:
And as usual, when a conservative accuses you of something, you can be guaranteed they are engaging in the exact same behavior.

You fit that to a tee.

Indeed.

:lol: @U

...moving on...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:33 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
...Interesting where this thread is going...
...please, Lord, don't let it be locked or have anybody get banned over it!

...come to think of it, Sister Knight used to be Southern Baptist, but I suspect Y'all would be :o to know how she identifies herself religiously these days...

Agree. The only redeeming thing in this thread so far is in fact the Masonic Wonders. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:33 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
44LetzRide wrote:
Dylan Roof shoots up a church in S. Carolina and he is arrested with no violence at all. A whte man and his son were under investigation is S. Carolina for child molestation. When the police arrived to serve a warrant, they were fired upon. One policeman died on the scene, and another officer lost her life weeks later in the hospital. from her wounds. The man and his son were arrested without being shot. However, many black people who don't make a millions have been brutalized an killed by cops. And the punishment for these cops? Very often, administrative leave, and not much else.

These isolated incidents prove what?
Say it again: Selective Outrage.

Would you have been satisfied if Mr. Roof died in a shootout?
Or, what if more than 2 deputies attempted to serve that warrant, or even if the 2 that were caught unawares had any clue that they were walking into an ambush?
You think they wouldn't have returned fire?
Because I guarantee they would have, and if they killed the child molesting mother fucker, I also guarantee they'd have gotten the same "administrative leave" you bemoan...

I guarantee either scenario could have been the case, but you want to pick and choose what to "expose" and make it about race.

Shame on you, asshole! :evil:

There are many great police officers around this country who honorably protect and server their communities. In Florence, there were 7 officers shot while serving the warrant.
Isolated? Apparently you don't watch the news.
What do they prove? Kaepernick's protest was more than legitimate. If police can arrest violent white criminals without killing them, then they can certainly arrest nonviolent black suspects without killing them
Would you have been satisfied if Mr. Roof died in a shootout? This question reveals who and what you are. No, I would be satisfied if police did not use deadly force on people when it is NOT warranted - especially when it's clear to see that people of color are most often the ones who end up dead. Deadly force is necessary sometimes - I recognize that. One of these "isolated" incidents is too many. Those of us who truly care about this country recognize that no matter what race, every life is equally important. I'm part of a long line of men who defended this country in the armed forces - personally served in the US Army. I'm a man who loves his country. With the smallest amount of objectivity, anyone can see the police brutality is disproportionate. What's even worse, is the consequences for those acts don't deter it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:34 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Instead of addressing my argument, you resort to ad hominem.

COR-TEN wrote:

You fit that to a tee.

Indeed.

:lol: @U

...moving on...
Take the factor of time into consideration. It appears that's difficult to understand. Context should be considered as well, but that is lost on you.

Lets just agree to disagree. If that's possible. . .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next