It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomlin Coaching
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:07 pm 

USA Football

@usafootball
We are thrilled to add @steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin to our #USAFootball19 speaker lineup!

Our National Conference takes place February 22-24 in Orlando, FL!

REGISTER to hear from Coach Tomlin and many more of the best football minds in the country: https://bit.ly/2iOuMiw

10:28 AM - Feb 6, 2019

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 pm 

Quote:
REGISTER to hear from Coach Tomlin and many more of the best football minds in the country

BWAAAHAAAAHAAAA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:53 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
USA Football

@usafootball
We are thrilled to add @steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin to our #USAFootball19 speaker lineup!

REGISTER to hear from Coach Tomlin and many more of the best football minds in the country: https://bit.ly/2iOuMiw

This really calls for a top 10 list.

Top 10 suggestions for the title of Coach Tomlin's speech in Orlando...

I'll start...

Planning a Trip to Disney World after the season even though you didn't win the Super Bowl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:17 pm 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
USA Football

@usafootball

This really calls for a top 10 list.

Top 10 suggestions for the title of Coach Tomlin's speech in Orlando...

I'll start...

Planning a Trip to Disney World after the season even though you didn't win the Super Bowl

How about saving your best 2 point plays and never using them

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm 

How to bench your Hall of Fame quarterback while his backup fiddle fucks a lead away.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm 

Never Use a TO on Defense or Trusting Your Offense to Score with 15 Seconds and 2 TO's.

Trusting Your Defense to Stop an NFL Team from Scoring From the 6.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 pm 

The above 3 examples illustrate a fatal flaw: Tomlin likes to play chess, and he's bad at it.

All 3 of those examples involve Tomlin deliberately NOT making obvious to maximize his chances of winning the game in front of him. He's taking risks - with 1 of 16 games (and he doesn't it more than one game a year) - because he thinks he's improving his chances of games yet to be played.

And it's simply moronic. But it fits with the overall philosophy. Tomlin simply does not do everything he can to win every game - he saves plays, he saves players and he takes weeks off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:00 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
The above 3 examples illustrate a fatal flaw: Tomlin likes to play chess, and he's bad at it.

All 3 of those examples involve Tomlin deliberately NOT making obvious to maximize his chances of winning the game in front of him. He's taking risks - with 1 of 16 games (and he doesn't it more than one game a year) - because he thinks he's improving his chances of games yet to be played.

And it's simply moronic. But it fits with the overall philosophy. Tomlin simply does not do everything he can to win every game - he saves plays, he saves players and he takes weeks off.

Perhaps, Rooney can hire an alternate coach to mind the games that Tomlin determines not to be that important?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm 

blu wrote:
Perhaps, Rooney can hire an alternate coach to mind the games that Tomlin determines not to be that important?

It says something about Tomlin that a guy like Fitchner can't go to him and say "what are we doing....put Ben back in".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:51 am 

Kodiak wrote:
blu wrote:

It says something about Tomlin that a guy like Fitchner can't go to him and say "what are we doing....put Ben back in".

I would add that Fitchner and Tomlin have a lot of history. In a healthy working relationship, that history should make this conversation easy as breathing. Everybody gets dumb fucking ideas in the moment sometimes. It shouldn't be a big thing for one of your oldest colleagues and mentor to point out when it happens.

I've usually been more of a Tomlin apologist, but the last couple years there have been like watching trainwreck after trainwreck in slow motion. It's not that there's a trainwreck or two that bothers me. It's that they keep happening. And they play out slowly enough that someone on the staff should be able to point it out and get it fixed. Like when everyone in the stadium knows the defense is going to give up a TD, and Tomlin is still holding on to timeouts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:25 pm 

prophet wrote:
I've usually been more of a Tomlin apologist, but the last couple years there have been like watching trainwreck after trainwreck in slow motion.

Over the last 8 years, but the past 3-4 in particular, it's become very clear that Tomlin has been given way too much credit for those first 4 years. ... mostly a passenger free riding on a talented, veteran team (along with Arians and Lebeau) he inherited.

To his credit, he DID stay out of the way. But if we acknowledge that, hey, he's a lot more Barry Switzer than anything....then the conversation about should he be fired evolves to "when should he have been fired?"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 pm 

I personally think he should never have been hired in the first place. I was no fan of his from day one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:01 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
prophet wrote:
I've usually been more of a Tomlin apologist, but the last couple years there have been like watching trainwreck after trainwreck in slow motion.

Over the last 8 years, but the past 3-4 in particular, it's become very clear that Tomlin has been given way too much credit for those first 4 years. ... mostly a passenger free riding on a talented, veteran team (along with Arians and Lebeau) he inherited.

To his credit, he DID stay out of the way. But if we acknowledge that, hey, he's a lot more Barry Switzer than anything....then the conversation about should he be fired evolves to "when should he have been fired?"

I'd say not having a RB ready to roll for that Balt playoff game or perhaps when Tim Tebow beat them.
Just throwing out some obvious times...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:15 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
prophet wrote:

I'd say not having a RB ready to roll for that Balt playoff game or perhaps when Tim Tebow beat them.
Just throwing out some obvious times...

The two 8-8 seasons after losing to Tebow should have gotten him the boot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:22 pm 

I got a headline for his speech.

How to shut your offence down as soon as you get a lead (even with 18+ minutes left to play)!

Or

How to completely castrate your offence in the 2nd half of a game!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:25 pm 

Or

How to lose every fucking challenge!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 pm 

Playing in the “flow of the game,” not in your fears.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:19 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
The two 8-8 seasons after losing to Tebow should have gotten him the boot.

"Easing" into the SB with the more experienced, championship team....

We can play this game for hours. The guy is a buffoon who hurts his teams chances to win, sometimes intentionally because he's "saving" something for a future opponent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 pm 

Definitely, "the way I value timeouts is really a feel thing but, I usually win these close games in situations like when I value saving one timeout with 15 seconds left in the game instead of having around 1:45 with none. Just because you have them does not mean you have to use them all. Remember that"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 am 

How bout when the former DB coach let a Lacrosse player go off to the tune of something like 200 YDS?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:21 am 

prophet wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
blu wrote:

I would add that Fitchner and Tomlin have a lot of history. In a healthy working relationship, that history should make this conversation easy as breathing. Everybody gets dumb fucking ideas in the moment sometimes. It shouldn't be a big thing for one of your oldest colleagues and mentor to point out when it happens.

I've usually been more of a Tomlin apologist, but the last couple years there have been like watching trainwreck after trainwreck in slow motion. It's not that there's a trainwreck or two that bothers me. It's that they keep happening. And they play out slowly enough that someone on the staff should be able to point it out and get it fixed. Like when everyone in the stadium knows the defense is going to give up a TD, and Tomlin is still holding on to timeouts.

Mike Tomlin's trainwrecks have been piling up for years.

There are no longer train insurance companies that will insure him.

The company dropped him after the Oakland game .........and we are now only finding out he played the last three weeks of the season with-out insurance.

The previous insurance company is now going after prior years collision claims as negligent and preventable........as they are filing suit to re-coup paid claims.

He is now down in Venezuela searching for a new train insurance policy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 am 

As he is vacationing and insurance shopping down in Venezuela......

We can only hope, that a combination of Trumps "build the wall mission" and the airhead AOC plan to eliminate Air travel, would keep him from getting back into the country.
But they have to act fast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
As he is vacationing and insurance shopping down in Venezuela......

We can only hope, that a combination of Trumps "build the wall mission" and the airhead AOC plan to eliminate Air travel, would keep him from getting back into the country.
But they have to act fast.

The GND is a dumb idea, but there's nothing in it that's going to outlaw plane travel.

As Ad Rock says, "Where'd you get your information from, hunh?"
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f7024144-8 ... 20ea32bc15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm 

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/bouch ... t27JmwTRtk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 pm 

Quote:
Ola Adeniyi: ‘It Becomes A Lot Easier’ Once You Understand Level Of Competition

Ola is the most natural pass rusher on this team. I'm not saying I know whether it's going to translate to the nfl, but I believe he has a good chance of succeeding at this level.

Does anyone trust Tomlin to get the most out of him? I don't.

If Ola pans out, he needs to be unleashed to rush the passer. If he's dropping into coverage more than the bare minimum, Tomlin is wasting his talent.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/ola-adeniyi-it-becomes-a-lot-easier-once-you-understand-level-of-competition/

14 yds Ben to JuJu/12 yds Ben to JuJu/23 yds Ben to JuJu/17 yds Ben to AB/Inc/12 yds Ben to AB/13 yds Ben to Switz//Inc/Inc/TD 3 yds Ben to AB/26 yds Ben to AB/20 yds Ben to JuJu/Inc/TD 20 yds Ben to AB

Up by 4, pull the plug. Fire Mike Tomlin.