It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomlin Coaching
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm 

Tiggs wrote:
Chuck Noll beat Joe Montana's San Francisco 49er's in San Francisco with Mark Malone as QB, mediocre defense and terrible offense It was 49er's only loss that season when they went 15-1 and won the Superbowl. The coach on the other side was Bill Walsh.

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/1984_Ste ... rs_17.html

Poor Chris Kolodziejski.

He was going to be a pretty good tight end, I thought.

Niners fans, of course, still bitch about Eric Wright’s DPI.

Fuck ‘em.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:47 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Tiggs wrote:
Chuck Noll beat Joe Montana's San Francisco 49er's in San Francisco with Mark Malone as QB, mediocre defense and terrible offense It was 49er's only loss that season when they went 15-1 and won the Superbowl. The coach on the other side was Bill Walsh.

Poor Chris Kolodziejski.

Fuck ‘em.

Damn, boy. You're off your game. I thought for sure you'd be admonishing Tiggs because this was not a playoff game as the OP has asked.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Tiggs wrote:

Poor Chris Kolodziejski.

Fuck ‘em.

Damn, boy. You're off your game. I thought for sure you'd be admonishing Tiggs because this was not a playoff game as the OP has asked.

It’s my favorite game of the 1980s.

The upset of Denver in the playoffs this same season was a close second.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:52 pm 

The other great game that year was Steelers 13-7 win at Oakland in the season finale. Steelers needed a win to make the playoffs. And did it!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
The other great game that year was Steelers 13-7 win at Oakland in the season finale. Steelers needed a win to make the playoffs. And did it!!

McMillen and Wife have that one too.

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/1984_Ste ... ers_7.html

They have a lot of games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 am 

Cant believe Mcmillen site is still up.i haven't been over there in 20 years

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:55 am 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

how in the hell does the NFL not shut them down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 am 

One question that comes to mind is: how can this team get anywhere near the patriots in terms of offensive and defensive gameplanning?

When can we or will we see a defense that actuallybtailors its gameplan to its personnel and it’s opponents?

When will we see an offense that doesn’t turn the ball over?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:49 am 

MeanJustinBarlow wrote:
One question that comes to mind is: how can this team get anywhere near the patriots in terms of offensive and defensive gameplanning?

When can we or will we see a defense that actuallybtailors its gameplan to its personnel and it’s opponents?

When will we see an offense that doesn’t turn the ball over?

Here's an interesting tidbit....

Quote:
Patriots coach Bill Belichick is impressed with how consistent Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has been through the years.

Phillips got his first NFL coaching job in 1976 on his father Bum Phillips’ Houston Oilers staff, then became a defensive coordinator for the first time in 1981 in New Orleans. And Phillips hasn’t changed much in that time, Belichick says.

“I’ve certainly changed a lot in the last 30 years, schematically,” Belichick said. “Wade really . . . hasn’t. He really hasn’t. You’ve got to give him credit for that. The system has lasted. I mean, really, this is part of his dad’s system that he’s developed and adapted and developed there. I mean, I have a ton of respect for what he’s done and how he’s done it over every different kind of offense you can see. Multiple tight ends, run-and-shoot, 10 personnel, 11 personnel, 12 personnel, 21, 22. He’s been able to do the same thing — not the same thing, but his system has been able to handle all that. And I think that’s a real credit to what he put together 30 years ago.”

Phillips has been a defensive coordinator for the Rams, Broncos twice, Texans, Chargers, Falcons, Bills, Eagles and Saints, a head coach of the Cowboys, Bills and Broncos and an interim head coach of the Texans, Falcons and Saints. Through all that, he hasn’t changed his defense very much.
https://sports.yahoo.com/bill-belichick ... 27668.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 pm 

^^^in other words, "it's a real gift to be able to dust-off our old spygate tapes..."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:37 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

couple of things stand out quickly watching game a bit. uniforms wore like they designed too be worn. not skin tight sleeveless bullshit like now. love the block numbers; of course. and the qb actually takes snaps under center! 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:55 pm 

Tomlin Coaching. What's with the oxymorons?

AB Words of Wisdom: "...this be my first meeting with Mr Rooney ever as Antonio Brown the man not AB84 the player in locker! never been to my house; there house; like what AM I Really doing! Less then what you bargain for more than real #Truth"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:19 pm 

Fuck Mike Tomlin.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:51 pm 

Tiggs wrote:

Huh. My strongest memory of Stillers-49ers was our retarded return man not fielding a punt and SF recovered for a turnover.

I think it was one of Cowher teams.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:20 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Tiggs wrote:

Huh. My strongest memory of Stillers-49ers was our retarded return man not fielding a punt and SF recovered for a turnover.

Barry Foster? And it was a kickoff IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Tiggs wrote:

Barry Foster?

I thought it was a Kick Return Foster fumbled?
And kind of hilarious that out of all people back to field a kick, they let Foster do it. Man, talk about running the wheels off...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

Barry Foster?

I thought it was a Kick Return Foster fumbled?
And kind of hilarious that out of all people back to field a kick, they let Foster do it. Man, talk about running the wheels off...

If it’s the play I’m thinking of...he let a kickoff bounce inside the 10, then stood there and stared at it as the the 9ers ran down and recovered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
If it’s the play I’m thinking of...he let a kickoff bounce inside the 10, then stood there and stared at it as the the 9ers ran down and recovered.

Yes, that was 1990. Noll's win over the Niners was 1984.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:50 am 

Mike Dumblin, gotta love the moron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:15 am 

Kodiak wrote:
^^^in other words, "it's a real gift to be able to dust-off our old spygate tapes..."

:D

Interesting tidbit I picked up elsewhere...on offense, the Rams were actully quite simplistic...use the same formation a staggering 96% of the time and call just a few basic plays that they execute very well over and over. McVay does it because it makes his team the most comfortable. He’s not going to change it up just to “be unpredictable”.

While somewhat laudable (how many coaches fuck themselves over trying to ge too cute?) seems almost too easy for Belichick to overcome. He’s probably had half his brain tied behind his back while analyzing game film these past two weeks...just to make it fair.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:05 am 

Anyone think Mike Tomlin would've been able to get 5 wins if this would have happened? Starting LT, starting CB, etc all gone

Lost LT Nate Solder, CB Malcolm Butler, WR Danny Amendola and RB Dion Lewis in free agency. Traded away Brandin Cooks. Lost first-round pick Isaiah Wynn to torn Achilles. Edelman was suspended. Josh Gordon got suspended indefinitely. Still won the Super Bowl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

:D

Interesting tidbit I picked up elsewhere...on offense, the Rams were actully quite simplistic...use the same formation a staggering 96% of the time and call just a few basic plays that they execute very well over and over. McVay does it because it makes his team the most comfortable. He’s not going to change it up just to “be unpredictable”.

While somewhat laudable (how many coaches fuck themselves over trying to ge too cute?) seems almost too easy for Belichick to overcome. He’s probably had half his brain tied behind his back while analyzing game film these past two weeks...just to make it fair.

What do I get for this prescient analysis?

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Anyone think Mike Tomlin would've been able to get 5 wins if this would have happened? Starting LT, starting CB, etc all gone

Lost LT Nate Solder, CB Malcolm Butler, WR Danny Amendola and RB Dion Lewis in free agency. Traded away Brandin Cooks. Lost first-round pick Isaiah Wynn to torn Achilles. Edelman was suspended. Josh Gordon got suspended indefinitely. Still won the Super Bowl

Tomlin could take the Chiefs offense and the Rams defense and..................

Derail the offense with limited camp and pre-season prep, little pre-season snaps and game time, throw in predictable formations, eliminate motion and moving the pocket, eliminate player rotation and involvement, ease into games, ease into the first quarter of a season, cheerish a 3 point lead, play to win by a FG, bleed clock, play it safe, miss manage the clock, miss manage challenges and time outs, choose sub optimal plays in the most critical moments of the game and rely on 4th, 5th and 6th best skill players on game deciding plays. It really is amazing how much coaching can screw up a play, a series, a quarter, a season.

Defense, a half a decade of communication issues is all you need to know about this coaching staff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:04 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Tomlin could take the Chiefs offense and the Rams defense and..................

Derail the offense with limited camp and pre-season prep, little pre-season snaps and game time, throw in predictable formations, eliminate motion and moving the pocket, eliminate player rotation and involvement, ease into games, ease into the first quarter of a season, cheerish a 3 point lead, play to win by a FG, bleed clock, play it safe, miss manage the clock, miss manage challenges and time outs, choose sub optimal plays in the most critical moments of the game and rely on 4th, 5th and 6th best skill players on game deciding plays. It really is amazing how much coaching can screw up a play, a series, a quarter, a season.

Defense, a half a decade of communication issues is all you need to know about this coaching staff.

Much truth right there Stosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 pm 

I sorry this team will never see a SB with Tomlin still here.The pats from their HC down will run circles around the Steelers Coaches. I wonder how much say Tomlin will have in this draft?