It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shazier to stay on the roster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Especially, If he ties up a roster spot? Stupid. You don't owe this guy anything. You compensated him fully with great intentions. Time to part ways and move on. Keeping this guy who is likely NEVER playing a down of pro football ever again is STUPID! No disrespect to Shazier intended. Unless he's in some coaching position.

Reserve/PUP does not tie up a roster spot.
Duh.

Lighten up. Francis...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:09 pm 

I like taking care of Shazier.

My only concern would be if they are lackadaisical in their approach to finding an adequate replacement.

Keeping him, even in this capacity, might lead the FO down a path where they feel they can get by with a stopgap until Shazier is ready to play again.

Reality however is that he may never play again and maybe he shouldn’t even be considering it.

As long as the thought process is such that they are looking for a long term solution then this is fine. It’ll be icing if he is able to come back in some capacity.

They can’t view this as the cake though.

Anyone’s guess what these bozos think or don’t think these days.

Last edited by 955876 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
So the Steelers can carry guys like Trey Johnson, Keith Kelsey, and Jake McGee on IR, but they’re stupid to keep Ryan Shazier?
Yeeeah...OK :roll:

Perfectly said.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:50 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
It's BUSINESS, not personal, they need to tell him he can't be on the player roster anymore, give him another job, make him a coach, do something else! He can keep working out on the side and if his fantasy comes true, he can play again, but I don't see it.

a) It won’t count against the cap, so the Steelers’ roster won’t be constrained in any way.
b) It’s Art II’s money. If he wants to spend it that way, what’s it to you?

if it doesn't count against the cap, then that's fine I guess. if it did, I'd cut him immediately. If I remember Rocky Bleier injured his foot in NAM or maybe leg? He was messed up pretty bad, but that's a little different from being paralyzed for 6 months, having your spine messed up, personally, if I was the Rooneys, even if he seemed close to normal I wouldn't want to put him on the field, I'd actively discourage him and try to convince him to take some other job, like a coach, front office or something else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:56 am 

Why can't he just retire, work as a coach or some other job with the team, continue rehabbing and IF he ever reaches a level where he could possibly play, which I doubt, and I wouldn't want him too do it.... then come out of retirement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Why can't he just retire, work as a coach or some other job with the team, continue rehabbing and IF he ever reaches a level where he could possibly play, which I doubt, and I wouldn't want him too do it.... then come out of retirement.

Probably because of the cost associated with trainers, use of a facility/gym, nutrition, etc. And the amount of time he would have to dedicate to coaching would cut into his rehab. Fuck, maybe he doesn't want to coach. A young guy with the athletic ability he had probably isn't ready for that. Especially when his game was "be more athletic than anyone else."

If he wants to do this, he needs to be on a football team. What do you care? He doesn't take a roster spot. And it adds another level of intrigue to your favorite soap opera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:08 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

Probably because of the cost associated with trainers, use of a facility/gym, nutrition, etc. And the amount of time he would have to dedicate to coaching would cut into his rehab. Fuck, maybe he doesn't want to coach. A young guy with the athletic ability he had probably isn't ready for that. Especially when his game was "be more athletic than anyone else."

If he wants to do this, he needs to be on a football team. What do you care? He doesn't take a roster spot. And it adds another level of intrigue to your favorite soap opera.

I don't care at all, I figure though that "be more athletic than anyone else." probably won't be happening. I say there's no intrigue, I say he'd be an idiot to try to play NFL football again, and I don't see it happening. And that's all sports are, JUST TV ENTERTAINMENT for 99% of people. I guess if I was an NFL owner, I wouldn't throw money away on a player salary even if it doesn't count against the cap for very long. I'm not sentimental at all, and IMO that $8 million roster bonus is more than enough of a severance pay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:09 pm 

955876 wrote:

[b]My only concern would be if they are lackadaisical in their approach to finding an adequate replacement.
[/b]
Keeping him, even in this capacity, might lead the FO down a path where they feel they can get by with a stopgap until Shazier is ready to play again.

Reality however is that he may never play again and maybe he shouldn’t even be considering it.

As long as the thought process is such that they are looking for a long term solution then this is fine. It’ll be icing if he is able to come back in some capacity.

Ok, this is ridiculous. That's about as bizarre as being concerned about getting snatched the Abominable Snowman on a ski trip.

The guy can barely walk. The FO is not counting on him for anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm 

Nick79 wrote:

Why does the average dopey fan think every player wants to coach? The vast majority of them want nothing to do with coaching!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:05 pm 

R S wrote:
955876 wrote:

[b]My only concern would be if they are lackadaisical in their approach to finding an adequate replacement.
[/b]

Ok, this is ridiculous. That's about as bizarre as being concerned about getting snatched the Abominable Snowman on a ski trip.

The guy can barely walk. The FO is not counting on him for anything.

Do you know what the FO thinks? They havent exactly been making the best decisions.

And I didn’t say this is what they are doing. I said the only concern would be IF this was part of their thought process.

Chill.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:12 pm 

I think it’s great to keep Shazier on the roster if he doesn’t count against the cap. The guy’s presence alone is a great motivator for the rest of the roster. That said the Steelers cannot seriously count on him coming back from this injury and let it preclude them from upgrading the ILB position. Jon Bostic had an ok year but he is better suited in a supplementary role and the Steelers need big time playmakers at that position. Shaziers former position deserved a major infusion of talent last offseason and nothing during 2018 changed that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 pm 

R S wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

Why does the average dopey fan think every player wants to coach? The vast majority of them want nothing to do with coaching!

If he wants to stay there even though HE WILL NEVER be capable of playing again, what's he going to be, Steely McBeam?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:47 pm 

As long as he isn’t taking a roster spot or the FO isn’t dragging their feet to replace him because they think he’ll be back in a year or two what the hell do you care Nick??

Is it that he can no longer give you a giggle?

Shit man, the guy was almost paralyzed for life laying it on the line for this team. What is it to you if the man who signs the checks wants to keep signing a few more for Shazier?

I’ve said it before and will do so again, you lack moral fiber...

Last edited by 955876 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:27 pm 

I don’t think Shazier will ever play pro football again. However, I do think he has the skill and knowledge to get into scouting or coaching, whichever he prefers. The Steelers already have him working on the scouting and coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:39 pm 

Careful 95 and Nick, You may offend some soft daisie fan that thinks Shazier is more than welcome to take a roster spot on their team. Thank God fans do run the team.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:42 am 

I appreciate what he brought to the team beyond production on the field pre-injury. I appreciate his inspiration to the team post-injury. And I admire his passion and drive to take on this potentially miraculous come back.

If there is a method to their madness other than "repaying a debt" to him, then fine. Let him eat a roster spot and earn a little money. It is weird, though, that he would make more than an active Eli Rodgers, if I read that right.

But it is true that they owe him nothing, as heartless as that sounds. And at some point, his inspiration begins to be a distraction on the sidelines unless he is an actual coach.

As inspirational as he is, his teammates aren't benefitting from that as they sidestep him coming on and off the field on game day. If they look at him and he isn't coaching them, then he is a distraction, something for them to think about that they wouldn't otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 am 

Nah. We got a coach that excels in getting the team to focus on the task at hand and not allow outside distractions to to interfere with gameprep or game day performance.

Just look at how well he navigated the anthem issue... :?

Joking aside, I really dont think Shazier will become a distraction. Most likley dude is in the coaching box on game day.

The flip side to him being a distraction would be his teammates seeing how well the organization is taking care of an injured player. That says something as well.

At the end of the day, this team has WAAAAAY bigger problem than what they are doing with Shazier right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:18 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
I appreciate what he brought to the team beyond production on the field pre-injury. I appreciate his inspiration to the team post-injury. And I admire his passion and drive to take on this potentially miraculous come back.

If there is a method to their madness other than "repaying a debt" to him, then fine. Let him eat a roster spot and earn a little money. It is weird, though, that he would make more than an active Eli Rodgers, if I read that right.

But it is true that they owe him nothing, as heartless as that sounds. And at some point, his inspiration begins to be a distraction on the sidelines unless he is an actual coach.

As inspirational as he is, his teammates aren't benefitting from that as they sidestep him coming on and off the field on game day. If they look at him and he isn't coaching them, then he is a distraction, something for them to think about that they wouldn't otherwise.

My understanding is he's counting about $800K+ against the cap next year no matter what (if his season tolled, then they don't have to pay him any additional money, I think), and will not be counting as a roster spot UNTIL he proves he can play (if put on some form of pre-season INJ list or something).

So, if that understanding is true, then why not let him stay on the team to find out. He's certainly not bringing anything negative to the situation, that I can see...correct? He's just another player trying to make it back from injury - albeit a very significant one. Also, I like his ability to help (mentally) any new ILB with similar athletic traits that they may bring in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:55 pm 

DP39 wrote:
7forSteel wrote:

My understanding is he's counting about $800K+ against the cap next year no matter what (if his season tolled, then they don't have to pay him any additional money, I think), and will not be counting as a roster spot UNTIL he proves he can play (if put on some form of pre-season INJ list or something).

So, if that understanding is true, then why not let him stay on the team to find out. He's certainly not bringing anything negative to the situation, that I can see...correct? He's just another player trying to make it back from injury - albeit a very significant one. Also, I like his ability to help (mentally) any new ILB with similar athletic traits that they may bring in.

This is exactly right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:19 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I echo TB's sentiments.

For those of you saying it's a poor business decision to keep Shazier, I would contend that it would be bad for business to cut him. Everyone saw him get hurt, everyone is now seeing him rehab. Paying him under a million per year to keep him in the fold well outweighs the fallout that would result in cutting him.

You guys love Rocky Bleier and his story, and you love that it's a part of Steeler lore that they kept him on the team and gave him a chance -- and it paid off for both parties. Why do you feel so differently about Shazier?

Further, why does everyone here have to put on their doctor hat and exclaim, for all to hear, that Ryan Shazier will never play football again? Not only that, but he should never try to play again, because of what might result. How do you know? Do you know he will never recover and play again? Do you know if he has a greater chance of re-injury? Do you understand the risks greater than Shazier does? I'll give you its a longshot, but holy hell, Shazier and his coaches/medical staff know a whole lot better than we do. If he wants to try and they want to pay him, god bless him. It's his life and who are you to say what is or is not possible?

Good post LTW
I like the Rocky Bleir comparison. And a pretty good example of a proud Steeler who hates what the Steelers have become.
Guys like AB, Bell, and Tomlin need to take a close look at Ryan Shazier
Yep I'll take an inspirational story over tales of dysfunction any day.

+1 on the Rocky Bleier comparison.

14 yds Ben to JuJu/12 yds Ben to JuJu/23 yds Ben to JuJu/17 yds Ben to AB/Inc/12 yds Ben to AB/13 yds Ben to Switz//Inc/Inc/TD 3 yds Ben to AB/26 yds Ben to AB/20 yds Ben to JuJu/Inc/TD 20 yds Ben to AB

Up by 4, pull the plug. Fire Mike Tomlin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:35 pm 

I keep him as a positive influence and motivator.

I kick Morgan Burnett right out of the clubhouse. Guess he felt he was played out of position and wants released even though he has two years remaining on his deal. I say package him, AB and anyone else that doesn’t want to be here for as much as we can get.

Spoiled ass mother fuckers too worried about me me me and not enough about the team.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm 

I am glad he is being kept around and i don't feel like he ever play again but will not doubt the man. But IMO the steelers need to do whatever is needed to find his replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:07 pm 

Quote:
Shazier: The Steelers have already contacted his agent about working out a new deal, with his rookie contract expired, and that process will not take long. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/anto ... -nfc-team/
League Minimum?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:25 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Why can't he just retire...

I'm not sure if you accrue NFL seasons on PUP/IR, but I think the maximum pension benefit occurs after 9 years. Maybe they're trying to keep him around to max that benefit, since he would have easily had 10+ years in the league if not for the injury.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:46 pm 

I see no issues with this. You can IR him and save the roster spot. It’s a good faith move by the Steelers. This could prove to have intangible benefits in the eyes of the players (I.e, during future contract negotiations). It will also look good to the current players on the team. Good for the organization for taking care of one of their own.

AB Words of Wisdom: "...this be my first meeting with Mr Rooney ever as Antonio Brown the man not AB84 the player in locker! never been to my house; there house; like what AM I Really doing! Less then what you bargain for more than real #Truth"