It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shazier to stay on the roster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:47 pm 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2 ... ll-in-2019

Quote:
Pittsburgh should also see the return of two names who began 2018 as their final year under contract, but missed enough of the season to be eligible to have their contracts tolled in 2019. With Ryan Shazier and Eli Rogers having started the year on the physically unable to perform list (PUP), both will see their contracts rolled over into next year.

As per the CBA.

“Any player placed on a Physically Unable to Perform list (“PUP”) will be paid his full Paragraph 5 Salary while on such list. His contract will not be tolled for the period he is on PUP, except in the last year of his contract, when the player’s contract will be tolled if he is still physically unable to perform his football services as of the sixth regular season game.”

Simply put, when a contract tolls, it effectively means it has been put on hold for a year, resuming the following season. The same thing also happened to the contract of Martavis Bryant when he missed a year due to suspension. In this instance, Shazier obviously sat of the entire season, while Rogers was not activated until well after Week 6.

If not for the Steelers decision to restructure the contract of Shazier earlier in the offseason, his contract would have tolled at a rate of $8.718 million, but he will instead be under contract for one more year at a salary of $805,000, with Rogers set to have a charge of $720,000. Figures confirmed to us by Corry on Thursday.

Post subject: Re: Shazier to stay on the roster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm 

well that fucking sucks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:54 pm 

Still the best defensive player on the roster...

(Almost serious)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:59 pm 

$805k is not a big deal.

But will his contract just keep tolling?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
well that fucking sucks

Why? 800k isn't that big of a deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:28 pm 

86n96 wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
well that fucking sucks

Why? 800k isn't that big of a deal.

no thought it was alot more..neevrmind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:27 pm 

Especially, If he ties up a roster spot? Stupid. You don't owe this guy anything. You compensated him fully with great intentions. Time to part ways and move on. Keeping this guy who is likely NEVER playing a down of pro football ever again is STUPID! No disrespect to Shazier intended. Unless he's in some coaching position.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:57 pm 

I wonder if Shazier has ever said that he was interested in a coaching position?
and can any of this money be like rolled-over from player to coach salary.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 am 

Is there some angle for medical benefits or retirement benefits? Is he a year away or something like that from being vested for pension and/or healthcare? That is where my mind goes.

They owe it to him even if it is just a carrot to drive and/or not crush his rehab and dream of playing again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:32 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Especially, If he ties up a roster spot? Stupid. You don't owe this guy anything. You compensated him fully with great intentions. Time to part ways and move on. Keeping this guy who is likely NEVER playing a down of pro football ever again is STUPID! No disrespect to Shazier intended. Unless he's in some coaching position.

Jesus dude.

The guy broke his freaking neck for this team and is busting his ass every day trying to get back to a normal life. On a team full of egos gone wild and weak-minded pussies he's a beacon of inspiration.

He can keep a seat in my locker room for as long as he damn well pleases.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 am 

TB wrote:
Jesus dude.

The guy broke his freaking neck for this team and is busting his ass every day trying to get back to a normal life. On a team full of egos gone wild and weak-minded pussies he's a beacon of inspiration.

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 am 

If it's in a coaching related position I agree. I keep him in the clubhouse without doubt. If they're expecting Shazier to play again? At the level he played before? My serious concern is Why tempt fate again? The next time Shazier makes a tackle he could never walk again. I wouldn't feel good about being a party to such a potential result. I'm not just a heartless piece of shit. I get it. Dude wants to continue playing because it's his passion. I respect that. The Steelers want a self driven respectable player like that in their locker room. I'm of the opinion that Shazier should not return to football as a player. Far Too Much at Risk. I know it could happen on any play at any time to any player. That's my point. It already happened to Shazier. Can't happen again or Shazier could remain paralyzed for the rest of his life. Sorry If my response offended you all, JMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am 

TB wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Jesus dude.

Fucking this!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm 

Will his contract keep tolling every year if he misses the required number of games?

Not that I'm saying this should stop- I agree let Shaz stick around as long as he wants- just wondering.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm 

This was from last May so they knew this was coming and it brings up others we have had toll in the recent past.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/05/contract-of-steelerslb-ryan-shazier-expected-to-toll-in-2019-says-former-nfl-agent/

Quote:
Contract Of Steelers LB Ryan Shazier Expected To Toll In 2019, Says Former NFL Agent
By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 2, 2018 at 7:05 pm

The Pittsburgh Steelers made it clear several months ago that inside linebacker Ryan Shazier would definitely miss the entire 2018 season due to the serious spinal injury that he suffered during the 2017 season. On Wednesday, the Steelers officially place Shazier on the team’s Reserve/PUP list and he’ll be expected to remain there the remainder of season. Now that that move has happened, several are wondering what Shazier’s status will be in 2019.

While Shazier will indeed still earn $8.718 million in 2018 as a result of his fifth-year option that the Steelers picked up a little over a year ago that was fully guaranteed against injury, he will not be an unrestricted free agent next March like some are suggesting. Instead, and according to former NFL agent Joel Corry, the final year of Shazier’s contract is expected to toll in 2019 and presumably at $8.718 million.

“It will toll,” Corry told me on Wednesday.

Also according to Corry, that tolled year is not expected to be guaranteed.

Contract tolling doesn’t happen a lot in the NFL. However, if you’ve followed the Steelers for the last several years you’ve probably noticed that two different players have had their contracts toll dating back to just 2016.

Former Steelers tackle Mike Adams had the fourth and final year of his rookie contract toll into 2016 after he had spent the entire 2015 regular season on the team’s Reserve/PUP list with a back injury. Even though the final year of Adams’ rookie contract had tolled, the Steelers ultimately released their former second-round draft pick in May of 2016 with a failed physical designation.

As for the other Steelers player who had his contract toll recently, that was now former wide receiver Martavis Bryant. Bryant’s rookie contract tolled due him missing the entire 2016 season due to suspension for again violating the league’s substance abuse policy. While Bryant appeared headed to playing for the Steelers in 2018 ahead of this years draft, the organization decided to trade him to the Oakland Raiders this past Thursday during the first-round in exchange for a third-round draft pick.

Back to Shazier. Should the Steelers former first-round draft pick out of Ohio State ultimately be able to overcome his serious injury enough by next March and thus remain on track to resume his career, he will likely do so at a $8.718 million salary barring any other kind of contract amount negotiation. If, however, Shazier is unable to pass his physical by next offseason, the Steelers might decide to release him with a failed physical designation just as they did with Adams a few years ago.

Shazier, who suffered his spinal injury during the Steelers Week 13 Monday night road game against the Cincinatti Bengals, will be five full months removed from that incident this coming Friday. Shazier, who initially couldn’t move his legs after suffering his injury, was able to walk across the stage in Dallas Thursday night with the assistance from his fiancée to announce the Steelers selection of safety Terrell Edmunds during the first-round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“Obviously, you saw Ryan Shazier take some very inspirational steps and that’s a huge lift for not only him, but for us,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said shortly after Shazier had walked across the stage in Dallas and announced the team’s first-round selection. “To see where he has come from to where he is and knowing where he might be able to go, it’s just, it’s beyond inspirational. It’s just exciting and it’s really exciting for him.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:22 pm 

Here is an article about tolling in regards to Teddy Bridgewater and the Vikings just last year. If you want to get some more details.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2017-11-08-what-is-contract-tolling-and-how-might-it-affect-teddys-free-agency/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 am 

Quote:
Ryan Shazier still wants to resume his NFL career, and the Pittsburgh Steelers are trying to figure out how to keep him on their payroll.

Shazier will be a free agent in March but isn’t ready to resume football activities after missing the 2018 season with a spinal cord injury.

“Ryan, I believe, still intends to rehab with the intention of trying to come back and play,” team president Art Rooney II said Wednesday. “To the extent he wants to do that, we’re open to working that out.”

Shazier was paid $8.78 million in 2018, the amount of the fifth-year option the Steelers exercised the previous year. In May, the Steelers converted all but $458,000 into a signing bonus paid up front to Shazier. The Steelers could try to sign Shazier to a contract worth the veteran minimum while he continues his comeback.

Rooney said NFL rules make it difficult for the Steelers to keep Shazier in a non-playing capacity as long as the linebacker wants to resume his career. Shazier assisted the coaching and scouting staffs last season while recovering from his spinal cord injury.

“There are some technicalities about somebody going from staff to player,” Rooney said. “His goal is to continue to be a player. We’ll have to address it as time goes on and figure out how that works.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14 ... n-for-2019

So do they re-sign Shazier? Keep him on as a coaching/scouting assistant?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:55 am 

Art2 said they would need to sign him as a player ( for the 800K) and keep him on the roster ( PUP list or IR). I think it is a good investment in a future coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am 

it doesn't cost anything against the cap.

I'm no medical expert, but it wouldn't shock me if Ryan Shazier could someday play at a Sean Spence of 2017 level for a game or a series.