It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jesse James, what I would offer him...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 am 

I looked at contracts of TEs like Josh Hill and Ryan Griffin of the Saints and Texans respectively.

Josh Hill signed a 3 year, $7 million deal, $2.5 million signing bonus. Then late in the year they signed him to a new deal, 3 years, for almost $9 million.

Ryan Griffin signed a 3 year deal, for $9 million, $3.2 million signing bonus.

Neither one of these TEs is what I would call a #1 TE, they are clearly #2 TEs and the contracts that they have are indicative of what you pay a quality #2 TE.

So, with that in mind, I give Jesse a 3 year deal, for $9 million, with a $3 million signing bonus. He could have a $1 million first year base salary and a pro-rated $1 million hit from his signing bonus and would only count $2 million against the cap.

For 2018, James had a cap hit of $1.96 million.

People talk about how signing our own players would chew significantly into our salary cap and leave us with little left to really play in free agency. Really?

I think the Steelers could very well free up as much as $55 million in cap space and signing Jesse James to a new contract still leaves us with $53 million.

Post subject: Re: Jesse James, what I would offer him...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 am 

Who else do you sign?

These are mine in order of priority.
Mike Hilton
Matt Feiler
L.J. Fort
B.J. Finney
Leterrius Walton
Zach Banner

Steelers 2019 free agents
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents ... -steelers/

As important IMO, who are candidates for the LB'ers coach, RB's coach and do they actually hire a QB's coach this season? Those are..., if not as important a very close second.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 am 

There is really no hurry for Mike Hilton. He is what they call an ERFA, an exclusive rights free agent. He is that because he has two or less seasons in the NFL. The Steelers can offer him a one year deal for $650,000 or whatever the league minimum is and Mike has to sign it, he has no rights, can't shop his services, etc. He could sit out the season but he is not accruing any time towards free agency and is not getting paid, can he afford that? No.

So, with my premise that the Steelers have $55 million in cap space I have them...

...signing Jesse James to a 3 year, $9 million contract with a first year cap hit of $2 million.

And signing Mike Hilton to say a $750,000 one year deal as an ERFA.

$55 million minus $2.75 million leaves the Steelers with $52.25 million to play in free agency.

Matt Feiler is also an ERFA and so the Steelers could do the same with him as they did with Mike Hilton. Feiler could be offered a one year deal for $750,000 too.

Feiler and Hilton do not have to be given lengthy contract of any significant amount because they are ERFAs and then the Steelers in 2020 can offer them qualifying one year tenders anywhere from $1.5 to 3 million. Both are on the team at cheap bargain pricing for the next two seasons.

Anyway, Feiler is signed for say $750,000 so now the Steelers are down to a paltry $51.5 million in cap space.

Ben signs an extension, frees up $8 million.
Haden signs an extension, frees up $3 million.
Jesse James signs a new contract, only a cap hit of $2 million.
Hilton and Feiler signed to one year deals as ERFAs and have a collective cap hit of $1.5 million.

Okay, so many may say well there are so many more Steelers that have to be signed!! Well, yeah, I guess.

BJ Finney?? He is a restricted free agent. He made $630,000 last season. Maybe the thought is that the reason they are not going to sign Foster is because they have to pay Finney. But is Finney the answer?? Sure seems to be hurt a lot, is he a starter capable guard, or is he a backup that can play well in relief from time to time? The Steelers can hedge their bets and not make a significant commitment to him and just slap a 2nd round tender on him but that is projected to be over $3 million I believe for 2019, which would be a cap hit of $3 million.

Surely they can do better than that. BJ loves the Steelers, his dream was to be a Steeler, so I have a feeling they can lowball him and get a very team friendly contract. Foster's last two contracts have been 3 years, $9.6 million, and 3 years, $5.5 million.

I can see the Steelers offering Finney a 3 year deal for say $7 million, a Ramon Foster type of contract, with a signing bonus of $2.5 million which spread out over 3 years would be $833,000. He could have a base salary of say $665,000 for a total cap hit of $1.5 million for 2019.

Ben, Haden, James, Hilton, Feiler and Finney all signed and we have $50 million in cap space.

I agree that LJ Fort has become a decent player, fine special teams player and really the only decent coverage ILB that we have at the moment. I think they should keep him around to fill out the roster. He is 29 years old now, and Pittsburgh is his 5th team and I don't know if he really is going to cash in on some free agent contract elsewhere. His last contract was a 2 year, $1.32 million, really just league minimum stuff. Maybe they give him a 2 year, $2 million contract with say a $600,000 signing bonus? With maybe a $700,000 base salary that would give him a cap hit of $1 million for 2019.

So, Ben, Haden, James, Hilton, Feiler, Finney and Fort all signed and we still have $49 million in cap space.

Zach Banner?? You guessed it, another ERFA. They can give him the minimum one year deal, be it $555,000 or whatever.

I hope this exercise goes a long way to dispel the idea that signing our 'own', our free agent players would make our cap space disappear.

I keep saying this but what could this team do with $55 million in cap space?? Quite a lot actually. I can see them going after 3 very good free agents for the defense and making the switch to a 4-3.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 am 

Now I made a mistake on Eddie Goldman, I thought he was a free agent but he signed a contract in Sept this past year, so there goes that idea :lol:

You look at his contract though with Chicago. He signed a 4 year, $42 million deal but the signing bonus and the way it was structured, he only had a cap hit of $3.8 million for 2018. They gave him an $11 million signing bonus and he had his 2018 and 2019 salaries guaranteed but that only amounted to $3.25 million. Eddie signed for only $14.25 million guaranteed of that $42 million.

Imagine that. If we were flush with $55 million, and signed our own players and still had $49 million, and yes, minus the rookie pool of some $7 million and keeping $3 million in reserve for the season, that still leaves the team with $39 million to play in free agency.

Hypothetically, say an Eddie Goldman was available this season and we signed him to that 4 year $42 million deal, that first year cap hit of just $3.8 million means that we are still $35.2 million under the cap.

Why isn't it possible for us to sign 3 free agents that all have contracts between $50 and $60 million? Or even more?

Why can't we with Burnett being cut, go after the Giants S Landon Collins??

Why can't we with Burns being cut, go after CB Ronald Darby???

If the Broncos franchise tag their CB Roby, why can't we sign him by offering up Brown in trade?

If the Seahawks franchise tag DE Frank Clark, why can't we sign him by offering up Brown in trade?

How about trading Brown to the Broncos for their first round pick, 10th overall, and CB Chris Harris. The Broncos might be willing to part with Harris as he is in the last year of his contract and it would free up $7.8 million. We could take on Chris Harris and his $7.8 million salary and pair him with Joe Haden to have our best starting CBs in like forever. And with that 10th overall pick maybe we get that ILB we need. Even taking on Chris Harris last remaining year, that $7.8 million still leaves us with $31 million to play in free agency.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 am 

We dont agree much Scunge but we line up here with James...Who is a major part of the offense. He played around half of the snaps last season...He is still very young and he has shown improvement every season

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 am 

James runs like he's in fucking quicksand.

Replace his ass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 pm 

I'd allocate some of that money for signing Ramon Foster.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 pm 

KC wrote:

Replace his ass.

Jesse James is probably the least fluid professional athlete I have ever seen. When he transitions from making a catch to running it looks like he's doing the robot dance.

But he seems to be developing into a decent 2 TE, so probably worth signing if it's cheap. Besides, the TE I wan't to see permanently removed from the team is Xavier "Dumbshit" Grimble. That fucker is a key reason for the Steelers missing the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 pm 

KC wrote:

Replace his ass.

haha

I'm 43 years old with 2 completely reconstructed knees and I'm fairly certain I am faster.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm 

Jesse James makes Matt Spaeth look like Gronk. He is completely replaceable with a UDFA. Why waste the money? Lets let old Jesse ride off into the sunset.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm 

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Jesse James makes Matt Spaeth look like Gronk. He is completely replaceable with a UDFA. Why waste the money? Lets let old Jesse ride off into the sunset.

The thing is he is still 24 years old. He was one of the youngest players in the league when he came out of PSU. I am all for getting this guy back for 3 or 4 years. He also has the best ability "availability". He never misses games.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:26 pm 

I keep JJ on a cheap contract.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm 

Well there is cheap and then there is market value for an established #2 TE.

What I offer him is what he will most likely get from other teams.

And nobody should underestimate that he is a legitimate #2 TE.

He has started 36 games, played in 56 games and has 120 catches, for 1,189 yards, a 9.9 avg and 9 TDs. That production is simply not easily replaced by an UDFA. McDonald is turning into our version of Gronk but like Gronk he will miss time here and there throughout the season because of how he plays the game. To have a #2 like James is very important.

If anything I can see a team wondering if he can be a #1 TE in the right scheme and offer him more than 3 years, $9 million. I think that is delusional thinking but I can't tell you how many sites I have been to the past couple weeks where people are talking up Jesse James and how they would love to sign him for their teams.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:39 pm 

If he offered a decent deal and he likes Pittsburgh he will stay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:16 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
KC wrote:

Replace his ass.

haha

I'm 43 years old with 2 completely reconstructed knees and I'm fairly certain I am faster.

Acl reconstructed?

Just wondering. I was ACL reconstructed for 25 and 28 years. I’m 45 and now i have had full knee replacements.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:36 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
KC wrote:

Replace his ass.

haha

Acl reconstructed?

Just wondering. I was ACL reconstructed for 25 and 28 years. I’m 45 and now i have had full knee replacements.

Zero doubt I'm going to need a full knee replacement on my right knee soon.

I had the microfracture knee surgery about 5 years ago and it's finally failed.

How much exercise can you do after the full knee replacements?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm 

.......[/quote]

haha

I'm 43 years old with 2 completely reconstructed knees and I'm fairly certain I am faster.[/quote]

Acl reconstructed?

Just wondering. I was ACL reconstructed for 25 and 28 years. I’m 45 and now i have had full knee replacements.[/quote]

How much exercise can you do after the full knee replacements?[/quote]

Therapy starts the same afternoon as surgery if your back to your room by lunch.

Thing is, I did mine at the same time so excercise is more like just rehab stuff. I could ride my bike or swim at this point but even jogging post 7 months, I couldn’t do it. My running days appear to be over. Again I’m only 7 months out. They say soreness, swelling etc can last a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm 

haha

I'm 43 years old with 2 completely reconstructed knees and I'm fairly certain I am faster.[/quote]

Acl reconstructed?

Just wondering. I was ACL reconstructed for 25 and 28 years. I’m 45 and now i have had full knee replacements.[/quote]

Therapy starts the same afternoon as surgery if your back to your room by lunch.

Thing is, I did mine at the same time so excercise is more like just rehab stuff. I could ride my bike or swim at this point but even jogging post 7 months, I couldn’t do it. My running days appear to be over. Again I’m only 7 months out. They say soreness, swelling etc can last a year.[/quote]

To the bolded...1.) Yes, they want you moving so you don't 'scar down' (creating a bunch of scar tissue). 2.) When both knees are needed, real men go for the simultaneous (as opposed to staged) bilateral TKR! Props. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 pm 

DP39 wrote:

haha

Acl reconstructed?

Thing is, I did mine at the same time so excercise is more like just rehab stuff. I could ride my bike or swim at this point but even jogging post 7 months, I couldn’t do it. My running days appear to be over. Again I’m only 7 months out. They say soreness, swelling etc can last a year.[/quote]

To the bolded...1.) Yes, they want you moving so you don't 'scar down' (creating a bunch of scar tissue). 2.) When both knees are needed, real men go for the simultaneous (as opposed to staged) bilateral TKR! Props. ;)[/quote]

LoL thanks. Was brutal. My dad said don’t do it don’t do it at the same time, you don’t know what your asking for. Well damn if he wasn’t right but I am glad I did it at the same time. Hardest thing I’ve ever had to endure. Literally fucking brutal. I’ve talked to people who hobble in pain because they had one done and they won’t ever go back for the other one. I say fuck that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:48 am 

I like JJ, but just don't see a bunch of money thrown his way. There has to be someone out there that really wants the cash that will be worth signing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:22 am 

I'd be careful not to give him too much, but I would try to sign him. He's better than Grimble, although, unfortunately, when I think of him, 1 play comes to mind. In fact, one could argue that the two defining plays from the last two seasons, each resulted in a ball coming free from a TE's hands. Jesse takes the officials out of it if he secures the ball against NE, and that gives the Steelers the #1 seed and a different playoff path. This year, it's Grimble. At 7-2-1 he commits the boneheaded play of the year, and the unravelling of the Steelers season begins right there. Two defining plays from the TE position.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:45 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
KC wrote:

Replace his ass.

haha

Acl reconstructed?

Yep, had everything put back together twice. Screws in both knees. I am definitely heading toward full knee replacements like you. My knees are both trashed. 25 years of basketball will do that to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:46 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
KC wrote:

Replace his ass.

haha

Acl reconstructed?

I have total knee reconstruction (RT Knee ACL, MCL & PCL) and the VA will not do a Knee Replacement because they say I'm too young (51). I'm not really mad thou, they did give me 100% Disability Rating (Permanent & Stationary). I can live with that as it was a 8 year battle. VA gives me a Customized Knee Brace every 2 years. I can't walk without it. I also get Cortisone injections as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:34 pm 

.........bigfame"]
Charles Demarr wrote:
KC wrote:
James quicksand.

Replace his ass.

haha

Acl reconstructed?

I have total knee reconstruction (RT Knee ACL, MCL & PCL) and the VA will not do a Knee Replacement because they say I'm too young (51). I'm not really mad thou, they did give me 100% Disability Rating (Permanent & Stationary). I can live with that as it was a 8 year battle. VA gives me a Customized Knee Brace every 2 years. I can't walk without it. I also get Cortisone injections as well.[/quote]

The too young excuse is bullshit. Was 44 and had both done. Had about 3 or 4 rounds of cortisone shots and then it was time. I asked for my pins and screws from my ACL reconstructions back while I was getting the KR. Well, the pins got tossed because the ligaments grew right around them. I got “some” of my screws back. LoL, I have two screws left in one knee and 1.5 screws in the other. He said when he was reaming so hard the screw and the tip of his screwdriver both snapped.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:47 pm 

I would offer him some magic shoes to make him run faster.