It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Art II speaks...all but shoves AB out the door
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 pm 

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 1901100125

Enjoy...

Post subject: Re: Art II speaks...all but shoves AB out the door
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm 

what i got out of that interview is that, there is still a possibility AB remains a Steelers if he really wanted to and communicated with management. More than likely he is moved though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm 

As I just posted in the other thread:

Strong words-- the opening parry of negotiation/compromise/settlement.

If they were serious about trading him, they'd be all roses and perfume, right up until they announced the trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:52 pm 

Quote:
If they were serious about trading him, they'd be all roses and perfume, right up until they announced the trade.

Agree. However, a bit hard to do when too much has already leaked about the situation.

They had better be prepared to play hardball and let him sit out with no pay if they can’t find a suitable partner.

Last thing I want is welp, best we could get was...

Don’t want another Santonio Holmes firesale.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:56 pm 

They better not fuck this up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:00 pm 

Losing Bell & Brown back to back? I'm not buying it. The door isn't closed until it's closed. Why bother extending Ben? Couldn't win the SB with #26 & #84, far less likely to win it without them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:05 pm 

I haven't read the article, but you know what really sucks about AB melting down?

It's causing ownership to look in the wrong place. AB melting down is the bright shiny object to Tomlin's rotting corpse of a football philosophy.

This franchise is in trouble right now, and it's being covered up with a franchise qb plus the talent around him on that side of the football plus Munchak.

Fans could get lulled into believing, because we have a long history of winning, continuing to win is a "given". No, we will have to earn it, and if this organization does not wake up, the future could be bleak in terms of the ps which is what matters.

The once proud Dallas Cowboys, the last 22 seasons before this season won 3 playoff games. If anyone thinks that can't be our future, they need to rethink it.

Last edited by Havoc on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:10 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:

Agree. However, a bit hard to do when too much has already leaked about the situation.

They had better be prepared to play hardball and let him sit out with no pay if they can’t find a suitable partner.

Last thing I want is welp, best we could get was...

Don’t want another Santonio Holmes firesale.

100% agree. Fine him, suspend him, hurt him in the wallet and only move him when it benefits us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm 

Havoc wrote:
I haven't read the article, but you know what really sucks about AB's melting down?

It's causing ownership to look in the wrong place. AB's melting down is the bright shiny object to Tomlin's rotting corpse of a football philosophy.

This franchise is in trouble right now, and it's being covered up with a franchise qb plus the talent around him on that side of the football plus Munchak.

Fans could get lulled into believing, because we have a long history of winning, continuing to win is a "given". No, we will have to earn it, and if this organization does not wake up, the future could be bleak in terms of the ps which is what matters.

The once proud Dallas Cowboys, the last 22 seasons before this season won 3 playoff games. If anyone thinks that can't be our future, they need to rethink it.

Agree with this as well

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm 

AB just posted a pic of himself and EMR shaking hands. Seems to be the first sign of some sort of olive branch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm 

Aditi is right about one thing: AB and Ben are a match made in heaven on the field. Drew Rosenhaus knows this, Ben knows this, AB sure as shit knows this, Rooney knows this, Tomlin knows this, Colbert knows this. Everybody knows this.

Leaving is a no-win situation for anybody. If the Cards offer you Pat Peterson and the #1 pick, I guess you'd take the deal but nobody is going to end up happy except for maybe Peterson.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Aditi is right about one thing: AB and Ben are a match made in heaven on the field. Drew Rosenhaus knows this, Ben knows this, AB sure as shit knows this, Rooney knows this, Tomlin knows this, Colbert knows this. Everybody knows this.

Leaving is a no-win situation for anybody. If the Cards offer you Pat Peterson and the #1 pick, I guess you'd take the deal but nobody is going to end up happy except for maybe Peterson.

As much as i dont want AB to leave, JujU would become the new shiny toy. Its all about Ben when it comes to his Wrs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:34 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

As much as i dont want AB to leave, JujU would become the new shiny toy. Its all about Ben when it comes to his Wrs.

JuJu is a much better #2 than a #1. Great player but I'd be concerned about heading into a season with JuJu, Washington, Rogers, & Switzer as your top 4.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:39 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

JuJu is a much better #2 than a #1. Great player but I'd be concerned about heading into a season with JuJu, Washington, Rogers, & Switzer as your top 4.

oh agreed theyd need to draft/sign another Wr if AB is gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

VERY CONCERNED

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm 

Can you please copy paste the article?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm 

I am still currently of the opinion that’s what’s best for the Team would be to reconcile with AB. Aditi is correct, the Ben AB chemistry is rare and underrated. AB is about to enter a different decade his 30s in which he will probably follow Hines Ward, in maintaining a few years of quality play while slowly losing his quickness. Jerry Rice is the outlier having put up HOF numbers for a whole decade starting at age 30, but nobody else can do that probably. Rice was taller and had more reach too.

Without AB, our chances of an SB go lower. Defenses double JuJu. Finding a replacement for AB comes from free agent or draft and it ain’t Washington or Eli. Better to have the real AB, and make him agree to behave himself. Maybe it’s too late, and the Steelers have really decided to part ways but it sounds like they are willing to talk. Maybe AB really wants to be traded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:04 pm 

AB took to instagram to post a picture of him and Art. I thnk he's starting to realize he's got a good thing here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Can you please copy paste the article?

Steelers President Art Rooney II said the team is not going to release Antonio Brown, but “all other options are on the table” following the wide receiver’s insubordinate behavior before and after the final regular-season game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

In an interview Thursday with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Rooney would not come out and say the Steelers are going to trade their All-Pro receiver, but he left no doubt that it is a strong possibility.

He even went so far as to say it would be “hard to envision” Brown being with the Steelers when they report to training camp in July.

“There’s not much we can do right now; we have time to make a decision,” Rooney said in his first public comments since Brown skipped out on practices and team meetings leading up to the Dec. 30 game at Heinz Field. “We’ll look at all the options. We’re not going to release him, that’s not on the table. But I will say all other options are on the table.
Steelers Artie Burns wipes away his tears on the bench after losing to the Jaguars 45-42 during the divisional playoff game on Sunday, Jan. 14, 2018 at Heinz Field.
Ed Bouchette
Ed Bouchette: Steelers' needs stay the same because of draft failures

“Whether the situation can be reconciled and have him back on the team next year, we’re a long way away from thinking that can happen. We’re not closing the door on anything at this point.”

The Steelers cannot do anything with Brown until March 13, the first official day of the 2019 NFL season. He is due a $2.5 million roster bonus on the fifth day of the league year, or March 17, so it is likely the Steelers would make a decision by then.

Brown is scheduled to count $22,165,000 against the salary cap in 2019. If the Steelers trade him, he would still count $21,120,000 — the amount remaining from his $40.8 million signing bonus — against their cap. However, the Steelers would save $15.1 million — his 2019 salary plus roster bonus — in real money.

Rooney, though, indicated Brown’s salary cap ramifications would not play into whatever decision the team makes.

“That has to be taken into consideration, but, as I sit here today, I’m not going to say that’s going to box us into anything,” Rooney said. “If we decide something has to be done, we’ll figure out how to deal with that.”

Nobody in an official capacity with the Steelers has spoken with the seven-time Pro Bowl receiver since he left Heinz Field shortly after the game against the Bengals began.

He has refused to return repeated phone calls from Rooney and coach Mike Tomlin.
Steelers cornerback Joe Haden reacts to a pass interference call against him Dec. 23, 2018, against the Saints.
Gerry Dulac
Gerry Dulac: Five plays that shaped the Steelers' 2018 season

Asked specifically if a trade was a possibility, Rooney said, “I’m not going to use those words. All options are on the table. We have two months to go before we can do anything. There’s no sense making the decision now. We’ll see how things play out. Maybe he decides to come talk to us some day and we learn more about where he is. We’ll see.”

About an hour after Rooney’s comments were first reported, Brown posted this photo of himself with the Steelers president to his Instagram account with the caption “Good Business #Boomin.”
Brown was not suspended by the Steelers, but he was not allowed to play against the Bengals after refusing to the practice all week, skipping team meetings and not returning phone calls from Rooney, Tomlin and some of his teammates.

Despite that, he showed up at Heinz Field expecting to play against the Bengals — a move that both surprised and angered some of his teammates. However, he was told in a private meeting with Tomlin he would be inactive for the game.

Brown also did not attend the team’s final meeting or personal evaluation session with Tomlin the day after the victory against the Bengals.

Rooney said he will talk with some of the team leaders to see how they feel about Brown returning next season.

“That’s one of the questions we have to answer — whether we can get to a point where we all feel good about him being on the roster next year. We have a way to go before we feel good about that.”

Asked if it would be hard or easy to envision Brown being at training camp in Latrobe, Rooney said, “As we sit here today, it’s hard to envision that. But there’s no sense on closing the door on anything today. There’s snow on the ground. We don’t have to make those decisions right now.”

Going back to training camp, Brown’s demeanor has been different from past years, according to a team source. Several players think this latest episode is a culmination of issues with their talented teammate, not merely because of an incident at a light Dec. 26 practice that involved Ben Roethlisberger.

During a morning walk-through, Brown became upset when Roethlisberger said he ran the wrong route and wanted to run the play again. Brown yelled an expletive at the Steelers quarterback, threw the football in anger and left the practice field, according to sources. That was the last time he took part in any type of practice with the Steelers.

“My belief is there’s more to it than an incident one day at practice,” Rooney said. “That’s one of the reasons I would have liked to talk to him about it — what it was and how it got to this point.”

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm 

seabs926 wrote:
AB took to instagram to post a picture of him and Art. I thnk he's starting to realize he's got a good thing here.

And yet won’t return his phone calls.

Quote:
Better to have the real AB, and make him agree to behave himself.

Easier said than done. AB believes he’s the victim in all of this.

I would love to see AB the football player return, and I’m sure the Steelers, (players, coaches, FO) would too. It’s everything else that comes along with the player that they can’t deal with. I think he’s as good as gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:24 pm 

There was a time not too long ago when many Steelerfury.com poasters and a whole mess of national talking heads were convinced, because of height, top end speed, etc., that Antonio Brown was best suited to being a number two WR.

What's the major difference between Juju his first two seasons and Larry Fitzgerald? What's the difference between the two physically?

Every number two WR is "best suited to be a #2," until they become a number one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm 

Am I the only one that thought Brown lost a half step this year? You could normally rely on his ability to make the first guy miss. He appeared to go down when in space fairly quickly. I'm curious to see his YAC this year compared with previous seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:44 pm 

VanWilder wrote:
Am I the only one that thought Brown lost a half step this year? You could normally rely on his ability to make the first guy miss. He appeared to go down when in space fairly quickly. I'm curious to see his YAC this year compared with previous seasons.

I said it all season, Van, starting early in the season. He was not as quick this year.

He's a player in decline although he had a career best in TDs this year which is significant. His catch % has been in decline the past few years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 pm 

Steelers are a MUCH worse team without Antonio Brown. It's that fuckin' simple.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:53 pm 

Was this, by the way, EMR's yearly interview or are we still waiting for that?

#CdnSteelerFanStrong