It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: StillerTillIDie Speaks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:50 pm 

STD asked if he could drop an article so, in lieu of a front page, here it is:

The Steelers are in rough shape. by STD

Here’s what I would do:

-Trade AB to the Cards for Peterson and their 3rd [65]
The Steelers are HORRIBLE developing CB’s, and slightly better than average with WRs. They will NEVER win with a ringless loser/diva like AB. As usual I am right about this. Don’t argue. Lol. Name the last Lombardi winner with a me first diva at WR ? In fact name the last one with a me first diva anywhere on the roster ? Extending him after Wallace wanted huge dollars wasn’t horrible. Colbert REALLY fucked up extending him after that to his current massive contract. The warning signs were there all over the place but they did it anyway. Real bad move. Time to get away from that fast. And no he isn’t worth a RD 1 or 2. Not even close. In this weak draft 65 is about right with Peterson.

-Hire Gregg Williams immediately as LB coach
Give him however much money he wants. Make him Assistant HC or Assistant DC. Whatever he wants. Get him on the staff now. Winning is largely about collecting great talent all over the team. Williams is a mad man and a great defensive mind. Guys like that aren’t available just any old time. Get him in Black n Gold now. Truthfully Id fire Butler yesterday and make Williams DC but I don’t think Milquetoast Rooney is gonna fire anyone up the chain. He might not renew their contract but he’s soft and not a winner. He wont fire a fellow milquetoast like himself who hung around for years and didn’t really have the competitive fire to take better offers elsewhere.

-Pay Mike Munchak A LOT of money and sign him for as long as possible.
Much like Gregg Williams, give him WHATEVER he wants. He has been the only highly successful coach on this staff for quite a while. Back up the Brinks truck. Do whatever needs to be done to keep him in Pittsburgh coaching the OL for a long time. I don’t think he is OC or HC material FWIW. Great teams have ZERO problems paying lots of money to keep great coaches on their staff. A soft weak dumb slow team like the Steelers currently are cannot afford to let the best OL coach in the NFL go.

-Fire Colbert and re-tool the entire front office. Or at the very least start planning for life beyond Colbert when his contract runs out.
Its hard for me to think of a worse drafting GM especially in the 1st Rd and a pretty horrible 2nd and 3rd Rd over the last 10 years given the Steelers situation than Colbert. You simply cant miss on that many 1st rders as well as 2nd and 3rds when you are a team that goes dumpster diving for FAs the way the Steelers do.

The last 10 1st Rders look like this:
18 Edmunds – A confused non playmaking lightweight who I cant see an upside to

17 TJ Watt – Numbers look good. Not a horrible player. Can anyone remember any time he changed a game ? Took over a game ? Required a double team to free up someone else ? I don’t hate him but damn. A bad team like the Steelers need more.

16 Burns – An obvious reach for need. Total bust

15 DuPree – Not as good as Watt. Could be a piece on a good team. Hasn’t lived up to Rd 1

14 Shazier – Great player. The book on him coming out was this: Can he hold up long term in the NFL ?

13 Jarvis Jones – Complete bust. In Rd 1. At 17. Just cant do that and stay relevant.

12 DeCastro – The Steelers drafted a RG at 24. A great to good player. Given the Steelers do MUCH worse not a horrible pick.

11 Heyward – In my mind the best of the bunch. A great player.

10 Pouncey – A very close 2nd to Heyward. A great player.

09 Hood – Total bust. Very slightly better than Jarvis.

08 Mendenhall – Not the worst pick. A disappointing Rd 1 IMO.

50/50 in the 1st is horrible. Rd 2 and 3 are just as bad if not worse IMO. This team needs A LOT of improvement in the talent acquisition department. Much of the reason the Steelers are one of the least proactive and least forward thinking teams in the NFL from top to bottom lies at the feet of we do what we do Kevin Colbert. Colbert is 62. He’s been with the Steelers for 18 years. His current contract runs through the 2020 draft. Please. No more extensions. He is well past his expiration date. Time to move on. I would fire him now or at least hire his replacement as Assistant GM. Milquetoast Rooney wont do either. The best we can hope for is his contract isn’t renewed.

-Begin looking for life after Mike Tomlin.
In a career filled with mostly great ups and an increasing number of downs, this season was off a cliff bad in terms off HC decisions and moves. Tomlin’s contract runs through the entire 2020 season. He’s been with the Steelers since 2007. Its time to move on. Please. No more extensions. He is well past his expiration date. I would strongly consider firing him now or at least get several potential replacements on the staff immediately; particularly in an off-season where everyone in the organization needs to feel much more heat and there are several spots open and more that should be on the staff. A Lombardi could change that course but who are we kidding ? That’s NOT happening with this crew anytime soon.

-The Steelers as a whole need to pull there heads outta there ass and realize bad soft weak dumb teams doing what they do; NEVER works. Only great teams can afford to be status quo oriented; and that the Steelers themselves as a whole haven’t been great in a long time relative to the right now of the NFL.

The Steelers are LONG OVERDUE to embrace some serious self-scouting and change. Not the least of which are a few things:
Quit running the team like a friends and family plan. From a poor scouting department loaded with longtime cronies, to a kicker who gets to choose which punter he likes. From a HC DC OC who all seem to be carrying out some kind of save each other a spot in line pact, to a front office filled with connected friends. From a team forsakes the victory formation for a stat no one ever paid attention to ever before to a long running undercurrent that places familiarity above merit. This team needs to change that if they are going to get better. They aren’t a great team and haven’t been for a long while. That wont change embracing a status quo that doesn’t bring in new blood that challenges long held thinking from top to bottom.

Keep up with the rest of the NFL and hire emerging NFL positions like a clock/replay consultant. Even go radical. Do something crazy. Hire a QB coach for instance. Lol. In general the Steelers need more voices and staff in the room. Look at some successful teams. They have LOTS of coaches. LOTS of staff. LOTS of scouts. The Steelers have let many things most other teams have embraced as essential to competing in the modern NFL fall by the wayside. They seem to be once again be a team that is far behind the rest of the NFL in an operational sense on many levels. If they were great they could make a case that they don’t need to follow trends. They haven’t been great in a long time. Time to change.

Realize you haven’t been good at drafting or developing players for a long time and focus on drafting great players and teammates. Sounds easy right ? Lol. For far too long the Steelers have drafted A LOT of projects. Even in premium rounds. Name the last player they have really coached up and improved considerably as a player and teammate ?? Ike Taylor ? Brett Kiesel ? Aaron Smith ? Now I know what you are going to say. What about the numerous guys on the OL ? That’s a great counter-point. Its been the one area you can make that argument with validity. See my above statement about keeping Mike Munchak happy. The rest of our coaching and drafting hasn’t been great. Much of that is due to the fact that a lot of the Steelers Friends and Family Plan Insiders like to think of themselves as “hardcore football guys” who know and understand the “real football” better than most and they like to think coaching up some flawed piece of clay is a noble pursuit. Bullshit. Lombardis are a noble pursuit. When you aren’t a good team much of it comes down to failures in drafting and coaching. This off-season could be great. Even with a weak draft for the Steelers top needs like this one. I have zero doubt the Steelers are eyeing up the next Jarvis Jones, Senquez Golson, and Dri Archer at this point. That needs to change quickly. The Steelers desperately need to put much more emphasis on great teammates and players who you can see as extremely viable Contract 2 and Contract 3 players. If that means sacrificing draft capital at times so be it. This team lacks A LOT of leadership heart and desire in addition to raw talent. Those aren’t always easy qualities to get in combination. The Steelers need to add quite a few more of those players. They aren’t a team who can take on head cases or longshots except maybe in Rd 6 or 7.

Here is what my draft looks like as of 1/10/2019:

[20] RD 1 = Christian Wilkins NT/DE Clemson.
Perhaps a bit high according to many and not a top need. I think this draft sucks for CB S and ILB. Argue if you want. I will settle for being right. Lol. The CBs who might be good at the top end really look to frail to play in the AFC North. I think there is a lot of depth in this draft at on the DL. The Steelers suck at drafting and coaching. They need to draft great players. Wilkins is a great player who plays like his hair is on fire every down. Hargrave is a UFA after 2019. Heyward Wilkins Tuitt is a mismatch unit that strengthens both Heyward and Tuitt and also gives Watt and Haden a little more help. Wilkins has played like a champion on a championship team against elite talent. He is as solid a 1st rd pick high floor high ceiling as there is in this draft. Please Steelers. Don’t overthink this. Draft the best guy and solid team player. You cant afford to blow yet ANOTHER 1st rd pick. Draft Christian Wilkins. Just do it.

[52] RD 2 = Parris Campbell WR OSU
Right now many have him lower. I think he runs a 4.3 at the combine. His speed will take the top off the defense and make things much easier for JuJu and VMcD among others. He is a great teammate who really buys into the team concept. Very talented kick returner as well. Much more like JuJu personality and character wise. THAT is well worth a 2nd rd pick for this team. They need guys who like being in the gym and like to play against and with the best. This team cannot take on more project/head cases at WR. Firstly they need someone who can play at an NFL starter level right away and be a team first guy as well. Another very easy guaranteed no bust pick with a very high floor and ceiling I hope the Steelers don’t royally fuck up out thinking themselves.

[65 Cards 3rd for AB ] RD 3 = D’Andre Walker LB UGA
His tape jumps off the screen. Very high motor that always runs full blast. Is he an ILB or an OLB ? IDK ? We need good bodies at both. Athletic guy who loves football and has played against the best. At worst a highly motivated football player with lots of talent who will give you his best every play.

[84] RD 3 = Pick your favorite here

[120] RD 4 = Qadree Ollison RB Pitt
The overwhelming group think is the Steelers main needs are on the D and its failings are the reason this team falls flat. Its hard to argue with that. I think you can make a great case that every underwhelming Tomlin season has been greatly influenced by lack of depth and talent at RB. When a team routinely blows sizable leads late its easy to point at the defense. Its also often due to the fact the offense cant close things out. A conservative unimaginative team like the Steelers MUST have at least 3 pretty solid RBs in todays NFL. It’s a 19/20 game season. Injuries happen. Qadree is a good RB and great teammate. He looks like he could be a great closer. He routinely wears Steeler gear. He has performed well against top talent and doesn’t mind the tough jobs. IMO he’s a steal in the 4th. Connor Sammuels Ollison Nix is a pretty good unit on many levels. Ollison also has ST experience.

[160] RD 5 = R Switzer + 6th

[175] [Oak] RD 6 Markus Bailey ILB Purdue
Plays all over the field. Not bad in space. Needs work shedding blocks. Solid wrap up tackler who plays hard. A project that has some upside but could be a great backup and ST player right now.

[190] RD 6 = Matt Gay K Utah
When you are a bad team like the Steelers you should consider draft Ks and Ps late round. 90% of the time position players drafted here offer nothing over UDFA’s and get cut anyway. Drafting a kicker who is a natural athlete and likes football as well possibly the best at his position in college makes a lot sense because you get a guy who can help right now AND upgrade a position as well. When you can do that in the 6th you do it.

[220] [TB] RD 7 = AJ Cole P NC State
When you are a bad team like the Steelers you should consider draft Ks and Ps late round. 90% of the time position players drafted here offer nothing over UDFA’s and get cut anyway. Drafting a punter who is a natural athlete and likes football as well possibly the best at his position in college makes a lot sense because you get a guy who can help right now AND upgrade a position as well. When you can do that in the 7th you do it.

A top NT WR. I solid maybe great LB. A missing piece at RB. A project ILB. A potentially great K and P. A top CB in Peterson from the AB trade to the Cards to bolster Haden and Hilton. That’s some great talent and teammates.

My roster would look like this:

3 QB – Ben Dobbs Rudi
Ben could play a long time. I hope so. Dobbs and Rudi will never compete with the Mahommes Watsons Goffs and Wilsons off the world.

4 RB – Connor Samuels Ollison Nix is as good a RB unit we’ve had at least since the FWP/Bettis days.

3 TE – VMcD JJ Grimble
JJ is a UFA. Grimble is a RFA. I would re-sign both. This is a bad draft for TE and while JJ and Grimble both have issues they haven’t been horrible. Additionally they both seem to buy into team first thinking. I don’t see anyone the Steelers have on the PS doing better and both are probably cheap to re-sign.

6 WR – JuJu Campbell Switzer Washington Rogers Tevin Jones
Rogers is an RFA who will likely be re-signed. Tevin Jones is a PSer. This position looks very weak to me. That’s why its absolutely essential to draft in the 2nd Parris Campbell IMO. Hopefully Washington develops. I draft WR somewhere I the 1st 4rds again next year as well. Improves the unit and insulates you from contract issues down the line as well. Switzer and Rogers are what they are. Maybe 4 5 or 6 WRs. Tevin Jones who knows ? He’s tall and big. Seemed to play well in preseason. Id look at a cheap FA possibly as well.

9 OL – Villy Foster Pouncey DD Gilbert Okorafor Banner Feiler Morris
I re-sign Foster and keep Gilbert. The Steelers have lots of money available. No need to break up the best unit on the team by far. I let Finney walk and promote Morris from the PS. I left a spot open in my draft. I might spend it on a C or G who can play both.

That’s 25 on offense. If you draft a solid C/G in the 3rd I would maybe carry 10 on the OL and go 26.

6 DL – Heyward Hargrave Tuitt Wilkins Hooks
The Steelers need to add a backup here for a total of 6. Perhaps Conor Sheehy newly acquired from GB ? Heyward Hargrave Tuitt Wilkins Hooks is a decent unit.

5 ILB – Fort VW Bostic Walker Matakevich
I make every effort to re-sign Fort. Our best ILB last year IMO. Not sure if rookie Walker is a ILB or OLB ?
This position needs help. High draft pick priority if viable next year.

4 OLB – Watt DuPree Ola Adams
Please get Ola and Adams some snaps before we get forced into signing DuPree long term next year. Maybe Walker can play here as well ? Im not sure I wouldn’t look at VW here too.

3 SS – Burnette Edmunds Dangerfield
Weak position. Dangerfield is a ERFA. I would re-sign him

2 FS – Davis Allen

5 CB – Haden Peterson Sensabaugh Sutton Hilton
CB looks pretty good with Peterson

Defense = 25

ST = 3
K Gay P Cole LS Canaday

Go Steelers !!

Post subject: Re: StillerTillIDie Speaks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:00 pm 

I am amazed STD has had it with Tomlin.

I can't believe I am saying this, but there's not much I can disagree with in that post. Lift the ban.

#FreeSTD

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm 

Can we unban STD, Ron and others?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:23 pm 

I can't. I have no idea who can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:57 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Fury and hardnosed... haven’t seen either around in ages. Maybe I can, but cant figure out how.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:00 pm 

Can't disagree with much at this point, though I do think he was a little hard on Watt.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm 

So he couldn’t use one of his many aliases that are floating around this board to post his jibberish?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:16 pm 

SP wrote:

Agreed! This place was better with both of them.

#FreeSTD
#ReleaseRon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm 

Release the bans!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 pm 

BRING BACK RON AND STD!

BRING BACK RON AND STD!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:55 pm 

I was banned for two years and let back in. How 'bout one condition..

*STD needs to post as the Guerrilla for at least three months.

*Ron needs to treat any visitors to New Haven to Frank Pepe's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:04 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Can't disagree with much at this point, though I do think he was a little hard on Watt.

I was laughing at that.

Ah Yeah. When he blocked a FG. Or when thy had to get pressure on Brady.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:52 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:

Can I get a free haircut instead?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

I was laughing at that.

Ah Yeah. When he blocked a FG. Or when thy had to get pressure on Brady.

Yep. He blocks the FG in Cleveland turning a L into a T, puts consistent pressure on Brady including a sack, and I seem to remember him putting pressure on the QB resulting in Williams's pick six. I think Watt's doing okay.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:

A new Frank Pepe's went up in Warwick, RI, last year. 10 minute drive from my house. Pretty good!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 pm 

SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Fury and hardnosed... haven’t seen either around in ages. Maybe I can, but cant figure out how.

Was Fury the one starting the game threads but then went incognito?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:
SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Was Fury the one starting the game threads but then went incognito?

That actually concerned me. Is he okay?

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 pm 

I’m not anti Colbert. Little too conservative for my liking but he’s a solid, ego-less, company guy.
Tomlins fingerprints all over the 1st round picks posted by STD
First round picks look much better when Colbert paired with Cowher
2000 Plax Burress
2001 Casey Hampton
2002 Kendall Simmons - I soooo wanted Ed Reed to fall
2003 Troy
2004 Ben
2005 Heath
2006 Santonio Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 pm 

Make it so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:27 am 

I don't think you could throw enough $$ at Greg Williams to make him LB coach. You'd have to shit can Butler and make him DC. But it seems like Tomlin likes having a large say in the defense, and I'd bet my right nut that Greg Williams would have none of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:37 am 

SP wrote:

IC should be allowed to come back as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 am 

SteelDrama wrote:
I’m not anti Colbert. Little too conservative for my liking but he’s a solid, ego-less, company guy.
Tomlins fingerprints all over the 1st round picks posted by STD
First round picks look much better when Colbert paired with Cowher
2000 Plax Burress
2001 Casey Hampton
2002 Kendall Simmons - I soooo wanted Ed Reed to fall
2003 Troy
2004 Ben
2005 Heath
2006 Santonio Holmes

That the Steelers have not drafted in the top 10 since 2000 should tell you Colbert is above average in building a team.
I agree that Tomlin's choice of SPARQ athlete over football players has mostly been a miss ( or at the very minimum a break even).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
SP wrote:

Was he banned or just left on his own? I was under the impression he got fed up and left. But can obviously be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:36 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
SP wrote:

I had no idea IC was banned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:56 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
SP wrote:

IC was never banned... that I know of