It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Peter King Podcast w/ Aditi Kinkabwalah
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:21 pm 

Quote:
He was under duress for most of it,

Taylor was sacked 7 times that day so he was under every bit as much “duress” as Benjisan.

He only gave it to us once though instead of 5.

And if our receivers were running such bad routes why would that be?

Not ready for game maybe? Hmmm why not?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
I'll take your word for it...fine.

Now we can talk about the first team getting about 10 minutes of playing time together a preseason.

Others have commented on how blaming it on the monsoon looks ridiculous since Cleveland had to play in it too.

Maybe Tyrod Taylor is a better mudder than Ben and the gang, huh?

They were arguably worse in the monsoon than the Steelers were, at least as far as throwing the ball.
15/40 37.5% 197 yds 1TD 1INT 51.8 QB rate 4.93 YPA 1 fumble vs 23/41 56.1% 335yds 1TD 3INT 60.5 QB rat 8.17 YPA 2 fumbles

I do think that the offense didn't work enough together in preseason. Mitigating factor is: top 2 RBs were both inexperienced starters and training camp/preseason is the only time they can get rushing reps. Honestly, it was the OL that looked the least prepared (in pass pro) Week 1, and IIRC they played much, much more in preseason than the others.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:47 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
He was under duress for most of it,

Taylor was sacked 7 times that day so he was under every bit as much “duress” as Benjisan.

He only gave it to us once though instead of 5.

And if our receivers were running such bad routes why would that be?

Not ready for game maybe? Hmmm why not?

To be fair...and I’m not excusing Ben’s turnovers, but Taylor had the luxury of throwing against the Steelers 2018 defense...the one notorious for their lack of creating turnovers.

When do we get tired of rolling out the wrong route, lack of communication, not on the same page, etc. answer as a legitimate excuse. This stuff is a problem that has been going on for years now, and cannot be accepted. And it’s not just fans but alarmingly players and coaches that continually roll with this explanation as if that makes it OK. This has to be fixed, but to fix it one has to first acknowledge it a problem, not as an excuse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
When do we get tired of rolling out the wrong route, lack of communication, not on the same page, etc. answer as a legitimate excuse. This stuff is a problem that has been going on for years now, and cannot be accepted. And it’s not just fans but alarmingly players and coaches that continually roll with this explanation as if that makes it OK. This has to be fixed, but to fix it one has to first acknowledge it as a problem.

That's a consequence to running a modern NFL passing attack. To have that happen so infrequently tells me they spend a ton of time working on it and the fact that they take away PT & targets from guys who make route mistakes tells me they are held accountable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm 

The fact we don't get our starters more ready to play to start the season is a problem.

Mike Tomlin likes to play it close to the vest with the offense early in the season. My first sentence plays right into his early season philosophy on offense.

The opener in Cleveland...

Conditions were fine to start the game. But they knew the monsoon was coming. Yet we start that game playing small ball on our first couple drives when conditions were still good.

This team is dumb, this franchise is dumb. It starts with ownership that hired this guy in the first place.

Last night, I was watching a basketball game with a guy who coached major college football. His dad is in the college football HOF as a HC.

I have had many conversations with him about football philosophy. He is all about keeping the foot on the gas pedal with the offense. He hates it when coaches get conservative with a lead, unless there is 5 minutes left and the lead is ridiculous meaning the game is already over. He also despises prevent defense. His view is, put your foot on the throat. He cannot stand it when a team is kicking ass, and then coaches change it up and go conservative. That was also his dad's football philosophy both on offense and defense.

Man, I cannot tell you how much I wish this guy was the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He or someone like him is exactly what we need.

14 yds Ben to JuJu/12 yds Ben to JuJu/23 yds Ben to JuJu/17 yds Ben to AB/Inc/12 yds Ben to AB/13 yds Ben to Switz//Inc/Inc/TD 3 yds Ben to AB/26 yds Ben to AB/20 yds Ben to JuJu/Inc/TD 20 yds Ben to AB

Up by 4, pull the plug. Fire Mike Tomlin.

Last edited by Havoc on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:38 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
steelheels wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

As long as Ben shows up to every practice (no more “vet days off”), works his ass off to cut down on INTs and doesn’t pooh pooh them or publicly blame them on “he ran his route too flat”, I’m cool with this.

Like I said:

*Show up for EVERY practice...don’t wait to be asked or hide behind “the coach’s decision” (for practice OR playing time, btw...next time Tomlin benches you when you’re medically cleared, be in his ear with a “WTF Coach- I’m healthy- I’m in the game!”)
*Drop the radio show
*Become situationally aware

That’ll go a long way towards establishing bona fide leadership capabilities.

What's annoying is that Ben's Wednesday day-offs are of Tomlin's doing.
At least that's what I heard on SNR. Who knows if it's actually true.

According to Tomlin at the season ending presser, this is done in part to give the young QBs reps.
And it’s not like Ben is sitting at home watching soap operas, he’s still at the facility.
Other vets, Pouncey, Foster specifically also get the vet day off treatment, as did guys like Ward and Bus in the past. Do you think that maybe it’s a chance to give these guys who are NFL old an extra day to recuperate? Sounds reasonable to me...

I don't have a problem with giving guys a day off now and then to rest, recover, and allow others more reps but they literally call it "Bens"day not Wednesday. I think he practiced 1 all season. That shit is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
When do we get tired of rolling out the wrong route, lack of communication, not on the same page, etc. answer as a legitimate excuse. This stuff is a problem that has been going on for years now, and cannot be accepted. And it’s not just fans but alarmingly players and coaches that continually roll with this explanation as if that makes it OK. This has to be fixed, but to fix it one has to first acknowledge it as a problem.

That's a consequence to running a modern NFL passing attack. To have that happen so infrequently tells me they spend a ton of time working on it and the fact that they take away PT & targets from guys who make route mistakes tells me they are held accountable.

Flip flopping between Hunter and Washington is not holding people accountable. That is throwing pasta at the wall to see if it sticks. Holding people accountable would be dealing with AB when he went AWOL in camp and then they lied and said he had a knee and then AB posts an instagram video the next day of himself working out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:50 pm 

Quote:
I don't have a problem with giving guys a day off now and then to rest, recover, and allow others more reps but they literally call it "Bens"day not Wednesday. I think he practiced 1 all season. That shit is ridiculous.

Actually, it’s posters here that call it Ben’s day.
Wednesday practice is not much more than a glorified walk through. Ben not practicing on Wednesday is pretty insignificant, IMO. At his age, I think it’s more important for his body to have an extra recovery day than soft tossing with the assistant ball boy. I put Ben not practicing on Wednesday right up there with him not throwing on the sideline when the defense is on the field...of very little importance. But that’s just my 2cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:02 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
Ben is every bit the leader Tom Brady is and more...
...he can be a great field captain...

The glaring, cancerous problem here is there is no leadership above him,
no General or Admiral type to provide mature perspective and vision.
In that void, the entitled, childish, spoiled brat in him is winning out right now, just like it is with the rest of this chaotic mess...

:cry:

I would agree that Ben is every bit the leader Brady is, because Brady doesn't seem to be much of a leader either. BB is in charge there. Nobody is in charge here - as you stated.

As far as a field captain, thats where I think Ben does show leadership. On the field he is a leader and a warrior, off the field not as much.

There is a leadership void here, and we are witnessing what happens when that void festers for too long and a team isnt winning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:15 pm 

Ben doesn't have Belicheat and Ernie Adams giving him the answers to the test. He does what he can with some shitty play calling at times that leaves him in 3rd down and save the day situations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:24 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
As long as Ben shows up to every practice (no more “vet days off”), works his ass off to cut down on INTs and doesn’t pooh pooh them or publicly blame them on “he ran his route too flat”, I’m cool with this.

Like I said:

*Show up for EVERY practice...don’t wait to be asked or hide behind “the coach’s decision” (for practice OR playing time, btw...next time Tomlin benches you when you’re medically cleared, be in his ear with a “WTF Coach- I’m healthy- I’m in the game!”)
*Drop the radio show
*Become situationally aware

That’ll go a long way towards establishing bona fide leadership capabilities.

You think Ben could go contrary to his demonstrated character and establish these desperately needed adjustments?!
...at the age of 37...with his buddy Mikey T still at the wheel... :?

...ummm, yeah, ok... won't hold my breath...

While I agree that a BB-type coach would not have the capacity to come in and "fix Ben", waiting around in eager anticipation for Ben to fix Ben all on his own with no constructive supervision is a fool's errand...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 am 

Brady does a radio show every week with Jim Gray on Monday night too. SiriusXM.

Not to be confused with Ben’s gray.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:09 am 

Steeledge wrote:
the-other-burg wrote:

Ben will never be a leader. A great QB yes, but hes a passenger not a captain. I think its the one major knock on him.

Ben is every bit the leader Tom Brady is and more...
...he can be a great field captain...

The glaring, cancerous problem here is there is no leadership above him,
no General or Admiral type to provide mature perspective and vision.
In that void, the entitled, childish, spoiled brat in him is winning out right now, just like it is with the rest of this chaotic mess...

:cry:

The Bolded/Italic Fully Agreed.

the-other-burg wrote:
As far as a field captain, thats where I think Ben does show leadership. On the field he is a leader and a warrior, off the field not as much.

There is a leadership void here, and we are witnessing what happens when that void festers for too long and a team isnt winning.

As a result we're witnessing why it's Just As Important Off the Field as on the field to be the consummate professional example.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:34 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

He's on for about 5 minutes and it is so bland I swear both Gray and Brady aren't actually talking to one another but have pre-recorded canned questions and answers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 am 

Jeemie wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

He's on for about 5 minutes and it is so bland I swear both Gray and Brady aren't actually talking to one another but have pre-recorded canned questions and answers.

He used to do a call in show on WEEI in Boston every week just like Ben. Not sure if he still does it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

He used to do a call in show on WEEI in Boston every week just like Ben. Not sure if he still does it.

I thought he quit that on air when the TB12 mini scandal happened.