It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good News For Now: Fangio, Not Munchak Hired in Denver
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
I, too, feel bad for Munch. He's a quality guy who deserves another shot as a HC. It has to really suck going to work everyday and seeing a dumbfuck like Tomlin be a HC. He has to sit there and listen to this ass-hat, and wonder "What the Hell!!! :twisted: I've been there - been in a company that promoted people who were assholes and piles of shit, while I posted the best numbers in the company and was overlooked until I resigned. It truly sucks knowing you are so much better than the person you work for, yet can't do anything about it! It makes coming to work an unpleasant thing.

I'm sure that's exactly how he feels given the two heading coaching jobs he just passed on.

Is it crazy to think that Tomlin might be bad at game management and good at a lot of the other things being a head coach entails?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:24 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
WOW. I would sign Gregg Williams in a heartbeat. Come here, fix this defense, give the Browns a new orifice twice this year, be set up for a prime coaching job next year.

Oh really? Tomlin is a control freak loser, why the hell would he want to hire a guy with Williams’ ego? This would never happen as long as we have this bum as our head coach.

Does anyone hate Tomlin more by the day? We get to watch all these guys get jobs, while we realize we will never win another SB with this guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:25 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
WOW. I would sign Gregg Williams in a heartbeat. Come here, fix this defense, give the Browns a new orifice twice this year, be set up for a prime coaching job next year.

Oh really? Tomlin is a control freak loser, why the hell would he want to hire a guy with Williams’ ego? This would never happen as long as we have this bum as our head coach.

Does anyone hate Tomlin more by the day? We get to watch all these guys get jobs, while we realize we will never win another SB with this guy.

Gregg Williams is a direct threat to Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:27 pm 

MM might also simply enjoy coaching a unit and is satisfied with that. He likley is very stable financially and makes enough as a position coach to not need to be a HC simply for the $$$.

He can come to work daily and for the most part be left alone to do his job.

HC has waaaaay more on their plate than just “coaching”.

If your work/personal life is in balance and you are satisfied why create the headache for yourself.

Sometimes where you are is right where you need to be. Grass isn’t always greener.

He might not have enjoyed being a HC all that much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm 

955876 wrote:
MM might also simply enjoy coaching a unit and is satisfied with that. He likley is very stable financially and makes enough as a position coach to not need to be a HC simply for the $$$.

He can come to work daily and for the most part be left alone to do his job.

HC has waaaaay more on their plate than just “coaching”.

If your work/personal life is in balance and you are satisfied why create the headache for yourself.

Sometimes where you are is right where you need to be. Grass isn’t always greener.

He might not have enjoyed being a HC all that much.

Others have said this is exactly how MM feels. He does want to be a head coach, however. Just wants to choose the right spot for him.

The idea that he secretly hates Mike Tomlin and hates where he is working, however, is suspect to say the least. Guy could have an O-line job just about anywhere (even Denver, right now!).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:48 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
I hire Williams to bring back the nasty to our D.

I fire Butler.

I promote Muncheck to assistant head coach and put Tomlin on the hot seat.. I mean so hot there is no question to fix this, by not leaving one fucking stone unturned.

I hire someone to sit in the booth and help with time management and challenges. hire a monkey

I put the entire scouting department and everyone else in the organization on notice to get off their fat happy asses and start putting in the work. hire STD

I pray like hell the second coming of Bill Nunn finds some diamonds in the rough that can contribute immediately. hire B2B

I tell Colbert I want the wheeling and dealing for Bell and Brown to pay us back in spades on our way to a fucking championship and said championship will be this year.

Where x = violent men playing on blades of grass
Where y = efficiency factor
Where z = because Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:00 pm 

FromPittWithLove wrote:
The idea that he secretly hates Mike Tomlin and hates where he is working, however, is suspect to say the least. Guy could have an O-line job just about anywhere (even Denver, right now!).

I don't know - I've never thought Boomer to be one who makes shit up, or abuses hyperbole.

And I don't think coaches can make lateral moves. He's probably not unhappy enough to quit, and then sit out the remainder of his contract before going elsewhere. But we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:

I don't know - I've never thought Boomer to be one who makes shit up, or abuses hyperbole.

And I don't think coaches can make lateral moves. He's probably not unhappy enough to quit, and then sit out the remainder of his contract before going elsewhere. But we'll see.

You must never have listened to Boomer on his radio show, then. He's completely full of shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 pm 

Jets just hired Adam Gase... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 pm 

I wonder if Gase will keep anyone specifically Greene

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 am 

FromPittWithLove wrote:
alancac98 wrote:
I, too, feel bad for Munch. He's a quality guy who deserves another shot as a HC. It has to really suck going to work everyday and seeing a dumbfuck like Tomlin be a HC. He has to sit there and listen to this ass-hat, and wonder "What the Hell!!! :twisted: I've been there - been in a company that promoted people who were assholes and piles of shit, while I posted the best numbers in the company and was overlooked until I resigned. It truly sucks knowing you are so much better than the person you work for, yet can't do anything about it! It makes coming to work an unpleasant thing.

I'm sure that's exactly how he feels given the two heading coaching jobs he just passed on.

Is it crazy to think that Tomlin might be bad at game management and good at a lot of the other things being a head coach entails?

Every so often, "I hate Tomlin therefore so-and-so in the organization must also hate Tomlin" rears its head.

I'm sure Tomlin is good at a lot of things. I don't believe the notoriously frugal Rooneys pay a guy, what, 7 million a year to do nothing.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

Last edited by Poltargyst on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 am 

And why are we talking about Butler "letting" Tomlin run the defense. Tomlin is the HC. If he wants to run the defense, he runs the defense. Butler doesn't have any say here.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

Every so often, "I hate Tomlin therefore so-and-so in the organization must also hate Tomlin" rears its head.

I'm sure Tomlin is good at a lot of things. I don't believe the notoriously frugal Rooneys pay a guy, what, 7 million a year to do nothing.

It's not a secret that I have hated Tomlin from the very beginning. And Tomlin might be very good at _____, but I have no idea what ___ is, does anyone here? And about Art2 - he's a total dumb fuck, period, so yeah, he would let an asshole like Tomlin steal 7 million per year in the name of only having x HC's in x years! Let's see, all of the drama that surrounds this team, the problems in the past with players in and out of the locker room (AB video and Mitchell taunting JAX), and what was that statistic about being outscored by a huge amount in their last two playoff losses, let alone being one and done how many times in the last 8 years? Tomlin may be good at things, but it is not being the HC of an NFL team. If he had been hired by another team that didn't have a HOF QB, he would have been fired a long time ago! Ben has kept his ass in his office. There are 4-5 guys on this forum that I think could do a better job coaching the PS (no, I'm not one of them).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:04 am 

No sarcasm intended gyst. Why even have coordinators then? Am I missing something? Has something changed? Are other teams in the league dismissing their coordinators to run the team their way? Or are 31 other teams utilizing the 3 heads are better than one mentality?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 am 

Since Cleveland is cleaning house how about bringing aboard QB coach Ken Zampese and ST's coach Amos Jones? Greg Williams for DC?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Tomlin may be good at things, but it is not being the HC of an NFL team.

the complete list of Post-merger NFL HCs with 65 wins and better win pct than Mike Tomlin:
Vince Lombardi, John Madden, Bill Belichick, George Allen, Don Shula, Tony Dungy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

the complete list of Post-merger NFL HCs with 65 wins and better win pct than Mike Tomlin:
Vince Lombardi, John Madden, Bill Belichick, George Allen, Don Shula, Tony Dungy

Next time I’m in Pittsburgh, can you walk me past the “Regular Season Winning Percentage” trophy section?

Two people on that list- Lombardi and Belichick-like Tomlin had Hall of Fame QBs their entire tenure.

They got five championships apiece from them.

Dungy had a HoF for much of his tenure too...just like Tomlin, he got only one title out of him and many playoff failures. You think a lot of people thought Dungy was a great coach?

So not sure what your point is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

Tomlin has a good regular season record but he is moving into Marty Shottenheimer territory now. He simply can't win in the playoffs.

Coaches in general don't win super bowls in their 13th season when they won one early so it is time to move on from him. (BB is the exception)
Look at the super bowls since '99.
XXXIV Rams in Vermeil's 3rd and last season
XXXV- Ravens in Billick's 2nd season. He never got back
XXXVI- Patriots* in Belichik's 2nd season (he is the exception)
XXXVII-Tampa in Gruden's 1st season never got back
XXXVIII-Patriots* BB exception
XL-Steelers Cowher late in career but had never won one before.
XLI-Colts Dungy's 4th season never got back
XLII-Giants Coughlin's 4th season
XLIII-Steelers Tomlin's 2nd season got back and lost
XLIV-Saints Payton's 4th season hasn't gotten back yet but this may be his year
XLV-Packers McCarthy's 5th season Not back and fired
XLVI-Giants Coughlin's 8th season. The other semi-exception but this team caught fire late.
XLVII-Ravens Harbaugh's 5th season Hasn't been back
XLVIII-Seattle Pete Carroll's 4th season. Got back and lost
XLIX-Patriots* see above
50-Broncos Kubiak's 1st year got canned
LI-Patriots* see above
LII-Eagles Pederson's 2nd year.

This team will not win a Super Bowl with Tomlin as head coach...Period.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm 

Alanac posited that Tomlin was "not good at being an NFL coach". I posted scoreboard.

I'm not arguing that Tomlin is the best choice now or that he can't be better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

Tomlin has a good regular season record but he is moving into Marty Shottenheimer territory now. He simply can't win in the playoffs.

Coaches in general don't win super bowls in their 13th season when they won one early so it is time to move on from him. (BB is the exception)
Look at the super bowls since '99.
XXXIV Rams in Vermeil's 3rd and last season
XXXV- Ravens in Billick's 2nd season. He never got back
XXXVI- Patriots* in Belichik's 2nd season (he is the exception)
XXXVII-Tampa in Gruden's 1st season never got back
XXXVIII-Patriots* BB exception
XL-Steelers Cowher late in career but had never won one before.
XLI-Colts Dungy's 4th season never got back
XLII-Giants Coughlin's 4th season
XLIII-Steelers Tomlin's 2nd season got back and lost
XLIV-Saints Payton's 4th season hasn't gotten back yet but this may be his year
XLV-Packers McCarthy's 5th season Not back and fired
XLVI-Giants Coughlin's 8th season. The other semi-exception but this team caught fire late.
XLVII-Ravens Harbaugh's 5th season Hasn't been back
XLVIII-Seattle Pete Carroll's 4th season. Got back and lost
XLIX-Patriots* see above
50-Broncos Kubiak's 1st year got canned
LI-Patriots* see above
LII-Eagles Pederson's 2nd year.

This team will not win a Super Bowl with Tomlin as head coach...Period.

stellar content

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mike Munchak still with the Steelers for the time being.

Quote:
James Palmer @JamesPalmerTV
1m
Vic Fangio will be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos per sources. Expect a press conference tomorrow in Denver to introduce him.

Fantastic, that's one bullet dodged. The only problem is Tomlin periodically sprays the team with an entire magazine periodically...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:19 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Dungy had a HoF for much of his tenure too...just like Tomlin, he got only one title out of him and many playoff failures. You think a lot of people thought Dungy was a great coach?

You do know that Dungy is in the NFL HOF, right?

I agree that a coach who wins early often doesn't get back, but let's not pretend Tomlin didn't have a nice run, and is probably going to end up with a gold jacket unless he walks away soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:19 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Alanac posited that Tomlin was "not good at being an NFL coach". I posted scoreboard.

I'm not arguing that Tomlin is the best choice now or that he can't be better.

No, you posted a useless statistic.

Any of us, given a Ferrari, could make it go fast, repeatedly and lose control of it from time to time. It doesn't mean we have the discipine or skill, lap after lap, against top competition, to win a race.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I agree that a coach who wins early often doesn't get back, but let's not pretend Tomlin didn't have a nice run, and is probably going to end up with a gold jacket unless he walks away soon.

Just to be clear...are you suggesting that Tomlin is going in to the professional football Hall of Fame?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Just to be clear...are you suggesting that Tomlin is going in to the professional football Hall of Fame?

I think it is EXTREMELY likely, unless he, say, goes 8-8 next year and gets canned, never again coaches in the NFL.

By about week 5 next year, he's going to be Top 25 all time in wins. Here are the HC ahead of him in wins who are not in the HOF:
Belichick (stone cold mortal lock), Reid, Schottenheimer, Reeves, Knox, Coughlin, Shanahan, Fisher, Holmgren, Cowher, Fox, McCarthy. Of those, Reid, Schottenheimer, Reeves, Knox, Fisher, Holmgren have no titles and ALL of them have a worse win pct than Bullshit Mike. If Mike Tomlin goes 15-6, he'd catch Dungy in every accomplishment, and that's without winning another SB. If tomlin wins something like 2/3 of his games in 2019 (11-5 regular season + 1-1 in post), every coach with more wins will have a worse win pct or be in the HOF. Also, this just in: he's only 46.

My guess? He coaches at least 5 more years in the NFL, catches Cowher with 28+ more wins, lands somewhere upwards of 15th all-time in wins, his win pct comes down some but he absolutely becomes a lock, whether he does it in Pittsburgh or not, and whether we think so or not.