It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Lost Decade
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 am 

Look at my signature.

Tomlin does this over and over again. That moment was the tipping point for me.

It's coaching stupidity at the highest level, of the worst kind. And robbed me of that moment as a fan.

14 yds Ben to JuJu/12 yds Ben to JuJu/23 yds Ben to JuJu/17 yds Ben to AB/Inc/12 yds Ben to AB/13 yds Ben to Switz//Inc/Inc/TD 3 yds Ben to AB/26 yds Ben to AB/20 yds Ben to JuJu/Inc/TD 20 yds Ben to AB

Up by 4, pull the plug. Fire Mike Tomlin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am 

This year the Steelers ranked 19 [ just for some sort of gage ] by PFF in their secondary rankings. 19? I realize this is the first year for Bradley and their talent pool is on the shallow end of the pool but isn't Tomlin an ex-DB coach? Evidently it's unfixable even for the great Tomlin. The reason I post this PFF crap is to shed light on the real problem. Stosh posted a comment about how average vets are kept on this team driving down the back end of the talent pool on this team. Also making it difficult for any young up and comer to make a name for himself. Heyward-Bey, Hunter, as mentioned Moats, Matakevich, McCullers, Burns and so on.... how about getting some of the younger guys involved? The Brian Allen's, Marcus Allen you get what I'm putting down. I realize Sutton and Sensabaugh are tied to the next man up mantra that Tomlin promotes. How about thinking outside that box once? Instead of Bey and Hunter holding onto roster spots for doing nothing. How about you promote a couple of DB's that could come in and improve at least the ST's play. Who knows perhaps they even make some plays on the defense that makes them indispensable. You have to create ways for them to see the field instead of the same old dead beats stealing those paychecks.

I guess it's good that fans don't run this team. They might be worse off. At least that's what they'd have us believe. I just don't get the refusal to seek out and implement new talent in any phase of the team. First I cut a bunch of turd guys stealing paychecks. Bey and Hunter top my list. Followed closely by McCullers, Matakevich, Burns, Gilbert, Bostic, Chickillo, Sensabaugh. Clean house, start fresh with new blood. Teams all over the league do it year in and year out. What is Pittsburgh's hesitation for? Frustrating.

Quote:
19. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
It wasn’t pretty early in the season for the Steelers secondary, but they bounced back over the course of the season. Safety Sean Davis’ improvement was a big reason why. Davis’ 69.8 overall grade represented a huge jump over his 47.3 from a season ago when he was one of the lowest-graded in the NFL. He cleaned up his missed tackles as well going from 19 last year to 12 this season.
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/10826649 ... 621e2.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:18 am 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I was shocked today to learn that Nic Williams is still in the NFL.

Where I'm at is pretty close to where you are. What I have a problem with is: Tomlin has enough faults that we don't need to make shit up or imagine more with our crystal balls.

For example: as Ben said in his recent interview, the team was good at scoring late in halves but also failed to add to the lead in 2nd halves. Part of that is the philosophy of the HC (the biggest part), part is personnel, part is OC. But Ramon Foster (who I think is pretty forthright about the team) said he thinks the most irreplaceable part of Tomlin is his ability to deal with all the craziness of the different guys on the team and in the locker room. Despite all the drama that leaks out about Bell and AB, Foster thinks Tomlin is masterful at handling a ton of bullshit we don't even know about. I presume that's true, which is why I don't lay the AB thing at his feet.

The philosophy of how to close out games might be the single worst part of his tenure-- it is certainly the most stale. He should go have a beer with Pete Carroll and they can agree that this concept is passe and should be abolished.

There's a lot of criticisms I can't get behind––just sounds like a lot of emotional attacks because of disappointment/anger. But if you go into a different mindset offensively once you have the lead, then the NFL circa 2018-19 are going to consistently come back to beat you or make every game closer than it needs to be.

But this philosophy is a HUGE DEAL, B2B.

Precisely for this point:

Quote:
make every game closer than it needs to be.

What happens when you make every game closer than it needs to be?

I'll tell you what happens.

All the shit we complain about- the bad ref's calls...the penalty that stops a drive...the turnover or mistake...the overthrown pass on a key third down- all this shit now has a GREATER IMPACT on the game than it otherwise might have.

We think we have an inordinate amount of bad luck.

In reality, we have the same luck as the other 31 teams in the league...but our philosophy MAGNIFIES the impact of random events.

Oh and by the way, because Mike Tomlin is a results-based evaluator of his decisions...it'll be a real chore convincing him of this.

Easier for him to chalk up a loss to a mistake that "we'll clean up next time" instead trying to figure out how to minimize the impact of random events by changing game management philosophy.

Right, Jeemie

14 yds Ben to JuJu/12 yds Ben to JuJu/23 yds Ben to JuJu/17 yds Ben to AB/Inc/12 yds Ben to AB/13 yds Ben to Switz//Inc/Inc/TD 3 yds Ben to AB/26 yds Ben to AB/20 yds Ben to JuJu/Inc/TD 20 yds Ben to AB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
But when Tomlin was hired there were the stories about how he came in and told John Lynch how to be a better player, how he took copious notes and had all these notebooks. He wasn't a dumb guy.

No he's not dumb in the everyday sense, not a dumb guy.

He's not a thoughtful analytical personality type but he doesn't need to be to know to keep his foot on the gas (but it might help).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:40 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
This year the Steelers ranked 19 [ just for some sort of gage ] by PFF in their secondary rankings. 19? I realize this is the first year for Bradley and their talent pool is on the shallow end of the pool but isn't Tomlin an ex-DB coach? Evidently it's unfixable even for the great Tomlin. The reason I post this PFF crap is to shed light on the real problem. Stosh posted a comment about how average vets are kept on this team driving down the back end of the talent pool on this team. Also making it difficult for any young up and comer to make a name for himself. Heyward-Bey, Hunter, as mentioned Moats, Matakevich, McCullers, Burns and so on.... how about getting some of the younger guys involved? The Brian Allen's, Marcus Allen you get what I'm putting down. I realize Sutton and Sensabaugh are tied to the next man up mantra that Tomlin promotes. How about thinking outside that box once? Instead of Bey and Hunter holding onto roster spots for doing nothing. How about you promote a couple of DB's that could come in and improve at least the ST's play. Who knows perhaps they even make some plays on the defense that makes them indispensable. You have to create ways for them to see the field instead of the same old dead beats stealing those paychecks.

I guess it's good that fans don't run this team. They might be worse off. At least that's what they'd have us believe. I just don't get the refusal to seek out and implement new talent in any phase of the team. First I cut a bunch of turd guys stealing paychecks. Bey and Hunter top my list. Followed closely by McCullers, Matakevich, Burns, Gilbert, Bostic, Chickillo, Sensabaugh. Clean house, start fresh with new blood. Teams all over the league do it year in and year out. What is Pittsburgh's hesitation for? Frustrating.

Quote:
19. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
It wasn’t pretty early in the season for the Steelers secondary, but they bounced back over the course of the season. Safety Sean Davis’ improvement was a big reason why. Davis’ 69.8 overall grade represented a huge jump over his 47.3 from a season ago when he was one of the lowest-graded in the NFL. He cleaned up his missed tackles as well going from 19 last year to 12 this season.

That sounds like a positive statement about the secondary.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:42 am 

I have seen it suggested before that Tomlin might be a good position coach, just not a good or good enough head coach.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:01 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Quote:
19. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

That sounds like a positive statement about the secondary.

Right. So this is why I think Bradley stays and they add more talent to that secondary either through the draft and/or FA. Would be Smart football.