It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Lost Decade
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:51 pm 

As the title implies, this is not a happy post.

The Steelers, who were clearly the 2nd best team in the NFL for the first decade of the century, just a smidge behind the NE Patriots, ended the decade with an AFC championship and a tough loss to the Packers in the Super Bowl.

Entering the 2011 season, no team was more poised to claim the team of the decade title for 2011-2020 span.

The Steelers had:

- A 3 time AFC Champ 2 time SB winning QB entering his prime. A player who had led his team to the Super Bowl in 3 of his 7 seasons
- A young head coach who had led his team to the SB twice in his first 4 years
- A GM who had proven both the ability to draft well "and" plug in experienced FA's to fill holes
- A ridiculous stable of young WR's - including AB, Wallace and Sanders
- A young franchise back in Mendenhall
- A young edge defender who looked to be one of the most fearsome pass rushers of his era in Woodley
- A tremendously talented ILB with all the athletic gifts for the position in Timmons
- An anchor for the offensive line in rookie Pouncey
- A hall of fame safety with 4-5 premier seasons left with Troy
- A great group of vets in different stages of their careers - Harrison, Heath, Hines, Brett, Farrior, Big Snack, Ryan Clark, Ike

At the same time it looked like the other top teams of the decade, the Patriots and Colts, were set to decline.

Despite the heart wrenching loss, the future seemed bright.

Somehow, with this situation, the Steelers have managed just 3 playoff wins and 1 AFC Championship appearance in the decade. They have failed to win the SB in every way imaginable. Horrible playoff losses to, um, terrible QB's - Tebow, Bortles. They have fumbled away playoff games they were about to win - Fitz. They played a soft zone defense against a Pats team that murders soft zone defenses in the AFC Champ game. They have played short handed without Brown and Bell in playoff games. They have missed the playoffs by losing regular season games to teams in the bottom quarter of the league.

To add insult to injury, it is easy to see a closed window going forward. The AFC has it's new set of HOF capable QB's in Luck, Mahomes, Watson. There are others that can easily emerge to join them.

The Steelers will have 2 more years with Ben to redeem their decade. Then likely 4-5 years in the abyss as they try to find their next QB.

Sure - compared to other fans we're lucky to have what we have. Division titles. Playoff games. Singing competitions. But, seen in the light of what was squandered, all the griping feels appropriate.

What a waste.

There is a lot of blame to go around.

Yes, I wish Ben had emerged like Brady did and turned into the QB Goat. But that's not a fair expectation. Yes, I wish the FO had made some better decisions. Yes, I wish Woodley and Shazier had never gotten hurt.

But in this business there is only one person to blame. the HC. This is on Tomlin, who, to my mind, could have delivered another SB or two if he and his staff had coached at a top ten level. It's clear from the record that they did not.

It's time to move on.

Fire Tomlin.

Fire him before Ben's last years are gone. Fire him so that the next decade's team can get started in the right way.

Enough is Enough

#NoMoTomlin

Last edited by Lifelongsteel on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Lost Decade
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:01 pm 

Print and fax to PS head quarters.
I will do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:09 pm 

Truth....Lifelong!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:34 pm 

Absolute truth.

Two things fell apart entering this decade, the defense and the O-line.

Munchak was the savior of the O-line, and that was fixed quickly.

We have been trying to rebuild the defense for the last 7 years. The singular focus of a supposedly defensive minded coach that has at best, stagnated. Only fitting that Tomlins ‘specialty’ - the secondary- has been the uttermost failure of this team. The only thing they got right is Haden, and he was drafted and coached up by someone else.

I wish to the heavens they had seen the writing on the wall and shit-canned Tomlin 4 years ago. But alas, here we are. As you said, the wasted decade. Tomlin, the bad houseguest, found this place immaculate, and will leave it in ruins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:52 pm 

good post and sadly true. if u told me ben would be bowless since the greenbay bowl loss id of thought u crazy. nope!

Last edited by bam morris on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm 

Kudos to you, Lifelong! Well said, sir. Get rid of Shitshow Mike!

#NoMoTomlin

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
As the title implies, this is not a happy post.

The Steelers, who were clearly the 2nd best team in the NFL for the first decade of the century, just a smidge behind the NE Patriots, ended the decade with an AFC championship and a tough loss to the Packers in the Super Bowl.

Entering the 2011 season, no team was more poised to claim the team of the decade title for 2011-2020 span.

The Steelers had:

- A 3 time AFC Champ 2 time SB winning QB entering his prime. A player who had led his team to the Super Bowl in 3 of his 7 seasons
- A young head coach who had led his team to the SB twice in his first 4 years
- A GM who had proven both the ability to draft well "and" plug in experienced FA's to fill holes
- A ridiculous stable of young WR's - including AB, Wallace and Sanders
- A young franchise back in Mendenhall
- A young edge defender who looked to be one of the most fearsome pass rushers of his era in Woodley
- A tremendously talented ILB with all the athletic gifts for the position in Timmons
- An anchor for the offensive line in rookie Pouncey
- A hall of fame safety with 4-5 premier seasons left with Troy
- A great group of vets in different stages of their careers - Harrison, Heath, Hines, Brett, Farrior, Big Snack, Ryan Clark, Ike

At the same time it looked like the other top teams of the decade, the Patriots and Colts, were set to decline.

Despite the heart wrenching loss, the future seemed bright.

Somehow, with this situation, the Steelers have managed just 3 playoff wins and 1 AFC Championship appearance in the decade. They have failed to win the SB in every way imaginable. Horrible playoff losses to, um, terrible QB's - Tebow, Bortles. They have fumbled away playoff games they were about to win - Fitz. They played a soft zone defense against a Pats team that murders soft zone defenses in the AFC Champ game. They have played short handed without Brown and Bell in playoff games. They have missed the playoffs by losing regular season games to teams in the bottom quarter of the league.

To add insult to injury, it is easy to see a closed window going forward. The AFC has it's new set of HOF capable QB's in Luck, Mahomes, Watson. There are others that can easily emerge to join them.

The Steelers will have 2 more years with Ben to redeem their decade. Then likely 4-5 years in the abyss as they try to find their next QB.

Sure - compared to other fans we're lucky to have what we have. Division titles. Playoff games. Singing competitions. But, seen in the light of what was squandered, all the griping feels appropriate.

What a waste.

There is a lot of blame to go around.

Yes, I wish Ben had emerged like Brady did and turned into the QB Goat. But that's not a fair expectation. Yes, I wish the FO had made some better decisions. Yes, I wish Woodley and Shazier had never gotten hurt.

But in this business there is only one person to blame. the HC. This is on Tomlin, who, to my mind, could have delivered another SB or two if he and his staff had coached at a top ten level. It's clear from the record that they did not.

It's time to move on.

Fire Tomlin.

Fire him before Ben's last years are gone. Fire him so that the next decade's team can get started in the right way.

Enough is Enough

#nomotomlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:39 pm 

Well.....I would say around 2011or 2012 many of the core of players who went to three super bowls got old and needed to be replaced, so I think as of 2011 we were looking at a rebuilding process. Because rebuilding pocesses can take a few years, I was willing to give them a few years to complete the rebuild. However, we are a few years past the time that I would have hoped a rebuild would be complete, and the defense is still a mess. So I don't look at it as a lost decade, but a lost few years (these extra years after a rebuild should have been complete). Things don't seem to be getting better, so something needs to change.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:14 pm 

Very well said Lifelong. Those 10 years passed quickly - and for what? ;(

#NoMoTomlin

"Here’s an absolute rule of Steeler-watching, along with not entertaining any discussion during the game, except for the game. We’re not supposed to ENJOY these games. We suffer through them…and hope we’re happy in the end." Swissvale72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm 

I've "mostly" defended Tomlin for a long time.

Whether you agree with the lost decade idea or not, it's impossible to argue that this Steelers team has been, or is today, buttoned up enough to win at a high level consistently. Add this AB/Ben turmoil and and changes have got to be made.

The realistic options are three fold

1) Window dressing - change a few assistants

2) Keep Tomlin but make wholesale changes elsewhere - ex. Trade AB, fire Butler, demand changes from Tomlin re: approach/discipline, etc etc etc

3) Fire Tomlin and bring in the best staff possible

For those who don't want to do this with Ben only having a couple years left, let's remember that the Steelers won it in Tomlin's 2nd season. Who says they couldn't win it in the next guys second season.

#NoMoTomlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:31 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Well.....I would say around 2011or 2012 many of the core of players who went to three super bowls got old and needed to be replaced, so I think as of 2011 we were looking at a rebuilding process. Because rebuilding pocesses can take a few years, I was willing to give them a few years to complete the rebuild. However, we are a few years past the time that I would have hoped a rebuild would be complete, and the defense is still a mess. So I don't look at it as a lost decade, but a lost few years (these extra years after a rebuild should have been complete). Things don't seem to be getting better, so something needs to change.

Maybe I set the bar too high by comparing them to the Patriots, but how many times did the Patriots build from 2003 to present?

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 am 

Obviously wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Maybe I set the bar too high by comparing them to the Patriots, but how many times did the Patriots build from 2003 to present?

True. But the Patriots are not normal, are they? Something to aspire to, yes, but 31 other teams wish they knew how not to fall into rebuilding periods like the Patriots.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:11 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

True. But the Patriots are not normal, are they? Something to aspire to, yes, but 31 other teams wish they knew how not to fall into rebuilding periods like the Patriots.

Rooney needs to go full Pat Bowlen and shitcan Captain Bullshit and win a few rings before Ben hangs ‘em up. The problem is EMR never worked in the private sector and was born with a silver spoon up his ass so he will value “stability” over wiinning.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:13 am 

Excellent post lifelong.
Speaks for itself....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 am 

Baltostiller wrote:
The problem is EMR never worked in the private sector and was born with a silver spoon up his ass so he will value “stability” over wiinning.
Can you expound that thought and how it applies to everyday life as opposed to sports team ownership, if applicable. I'm serious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:30 am 

Well said LLS.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:52 am 

Fuck Tomlin.

FUCKBROWN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:22 am 

Baltostiller wrote:
Rooney needs to go full Pat Bowlen and shitcan Captain Bullshit and win a few rings before Ben hangs ‘em up. The problem is EMR never worked in the private sector and was born with a silver spoon up his ass so he will value “stability” over wiinning.

Um...Rooney is a practicing attorney...a partner in a firm with 450 attornies and offices all over the US...and that has been around since 1850.

I guess that doesn’t count as private sector?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:38 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:

Um...Rooney is a practicing attorney...a partner in a firm with 450 attornies and offices all over the US...and that has been around since 1850.

I guess that doesn’t count as private sector?

It was a silly post. Moving on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 am 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I've "mostly" defended Tomlin for a long time.

Whether you agree with the lost decade idea or not, it's impossible to argue that this Steelers team has been, or is today, buttoned up enough to win at a high level consistently. Add this AB/Ben turmoil and and changes have got to be made.

The realistic options are three fold

1) Window dressing - change a few assistants

2) Keep Tomlin but make wholesale changes elsewhere - ex. Trade AB, fire Butler, demand changes from Tomlin re: approach/discipline, etc etc etc

3) Fire Tomlin and bring in the best staff possible

For those who don't want to do this with Ben only having a couple years left, let's remember that the Steelers won it in Tomlin's 2nd season. Who says they couldn't win it in the next guys second season.

#NoMoTomlin

I think we end up getting something between options #1 and #2. If assistants are getting fired, it needs to happen by this weekend. There are plenty of candidates out there looking for jobs right now. Don't wait too long.

#NoMoTomlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:14 am 

3 playoff wins since that time

I mean that's almost impossible to do with the rosters they had

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am 

Never had a losing season either.... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 am 

Sad but true, the whole thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am 

For reference, teams with most playoff wins since last PIT SB win:
NE 13-7 (2-2 SB) Brady
GB 9-7 (1-0) Rodgers
SEA 9-5 (1-1) Wilson
BAL 8-4 (1-0) Flacco
DEN 6-4 (1-1) Peyton Manning
NO 6-4 (1-0) Brees
PIT 5-6 (0-1) Roethlisberger
IND 5-5 (0-1) Peyton Manning
SF 5-3 (0-1) Kaepernick

Couple of observations: QB matters most, outlier great defense helps. The teams who outperformed Ben & Steelers in this time frame also had great QBs or good QBs with truly great defenses. Not to say they couldn't have or shouldn't have performed better but having to get through Brady and Manning probably not going to be more successful than .500, even in the best-case scenario. The disappointment is not getting to face Manning or Brady more often, for sure... but you could argue injuries (and the contigency plans for dealing with them) played a huge part in this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
For reference, teams with most playoff wins since last PIT SB win:
NE 13-7 (2-2 SB) Brady
GB 9-7 (1-0) Rodgers
SEA 9-5 (1-1) Wilson
BAL 8-4 (1-0) Flacco
DEN 6-4 (1-1) Peyton Manning
NO 6-4 (1-0) Brees
PIT 5-6 (0-1) Roethlisberger
IND 5-5 (0-1) Peyton Manning
SF 5-3 (0-1) Kaepernick

Couple of observations: QB matters most, outlier great defense helps. The teams who outperformed Ben & Steelers in this time frame also had great QBs or good QBs with truly great defenses. Not to say they couldn't have or shouldn't have performed better but having to get through Brady and Manning probably not going to be more successful than .500, even in the best-case scenario. The disappointment is not getting to face Manning or Brady more often, for sure... but you could argue injuries (and the contigency plans for dealing with them) played a huge part in this.

I’d say “LACK of contingency plans for dealing with injuries”.

2014 was the most grevious sin with this...Steelers chased Blount away by insisting on running Bell’s wheels off...then waited until Bell got injured to even think about a competent back-up for him.

And Tomlin hasn’t really learned- given oodles of time to think about how to replace Shazier...they come up with Bostic?