It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Got a Feelin.......
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:38 am 

Too early?

Post subject: Re: I Got a Feelin.......
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 am 

Yes, with games at Jax, Chargers, at Saints, Pats, and Bengals still left....and two very long west coast trips to Oak and Denver. I think it's still a bit early.

Don't get me wrong. I like what I see. On D, Hilton and Haden are playing at a high level. Burnett is a nice add. Bostic is quietly having a good year. Davis has been excellent. Then you have TJ, Tuitt, and Heyward who are great players. Even Dupree seems to be playing better.

On Offense, what more can you say. Great play calling and design by Fichtner. Ben in a zone and Oline playing well. TEs playing well. Conner has been fantastic. The unsung hero as of late though is Ryan Switzer. He's really come on and his shiftiness on 3rd downs has been a HUGE asset as we keep drives alive. Very Edelman-esque

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am 

Yeah, way too early. We still have the Bell distraction to overcome if he signs. James now in concussion protocol. And tough games on the immediate horizon. But there certainly is cause for excitement.

Last night was what we always knew we were capable of.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 am 

Do you know Mike "Playoffs" Tomlin still coaches this team, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:34 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Do you know Mike "Playoffs" Tomlin still coaches this team, right?

I am honestly starting to think Haley was worse than we ever knew. I think he hit his goals for the year and did his job to best of his ability, but he did it with the short term in mind and failed miserably with long term goals.

By short term I mean he exploited what ever was on the field and working. AB is hot, stuff his face with the football. Bell is hot, run his wheels off. All the rest of the plays are because those two aren’t open.

Fichtner has long term goals in mind. AB is hot? I don’t care. We need to distribute the ball for later on in the year. Running back is hot? I don’t care we need balance. Long term goals, how to diversify distribution of the football? Take your playmakers and make them into decoys in crucial situations stats be damned. Use the decoys in crucial situations to scheme open the rest of the offensive operators!

I am not sure how much Tomlin was saddled with TH, but he has been some what of an albatross around his neck. Why has game management improved so much this year?

I will take Tomlin in the playoffs any day. We will be in the Super Bowl this year.

LA is a paper tiger! LA is a paper tiger! LA is a paper tiger.

New Orleans is for real.

Kansas City is a paper tiger!

Patriots are for real.

We are going to Altlanta!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:43 am 

The Steelers need to beat the Patriots in the playoffs. Period. And likely in Foxboro. Nothing else really matters. If the Pats get upset by KC or LAC before playing the Steelers then all the better, but how likely is that to happen?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 pm 

The team I saw last night looked like a legit contender. Yes, there is still a long way to go. We still have to play the Patrots, Saints, and Chargers.

Dupree is playing like a winning piece on this defense. Huge going forward if that continues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:22 pm 

Havoc wrote:
The team I saw last night looked like a legit contender. Yes, there is still a long way to go. We still have to play the Patrots, Saints, and Chargers.

Dupree is playing like a winning piece on this defense. Huge going forward if that continues.

Has anyone else notice that is seems Bud has been lining up just a tad wider when rushing the QB? Kind of like the Eagles' rushers used to do. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems he has been, and it seems to have helped him not run himself out of the play by reducing the increased arc he was taking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm 

Like many of you, I thoroughly enjoyed last night's ass kicking of the Cam and the Panthers.
However, like many of you, I don't allow myself to get too excited about playoffs and Super Bowls due to Tomlin's failure to figure out how to beat the Patriots.
So in perusing rotoworld during stupid Tide commercials last night I found this stat- Tom Brady’s 63.3 QB rating when blitzed is tied for dead last among qualified quarterbacks
The Steelers now lead the league in sacks
Not sure I have "a feelin" just yet but perhaps I'll open my mind to the possibility Tomlin can finally get past the Pats.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:53 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
Like many of you, I thoroughly enjoyed last night's ass kicking of the Cam and the Panthers.
However, like many of you, I don't allow myself to get too excited about playoffs and Super Bowls due to Tomlin's failure to figure out how to beat the Patriots.
So in perusing rotoworld during stupid Tide commercials last night I found this stat- Tom Brady’s 63.3 QB rating when blitzed is tied for dead last among qualified quarterbacks
The Steelers now lead the league in sacks
Not sure I have "a feelin" just yet but perhaps I'll open my mind to the possibility Tomlin can finally get past the Pats.

I look at it this way: Mike Tomlin's record vs the Patriots (.222) is pretty much the same as everyone else's record vs the Patriots (.226) since Brady got there. Not good, but hardly unexpected.

If you go back and take a closer look: Of those 9 games, how many times did these two teams face each other when the rosters/talent level was pretty similar? I think they're closer to 50/50 when talent is close. We were soooooo undermanned on offense in AFCCG, which is the only playoff game Tomlin has lost to NE. Denver, same thing. Baltimore the year before, we SHOULD have been able to overcome Bell's absence but since we didn't have him, that greatly hurt.

If you're going to root for anything the rest of the season, root for health, because the Steelers stay healthy, they're going to be in it to the wire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 pm 

Just saw a tweet from Kaboly that the Steelers are now number 1 in the NFL in red zone efficiency.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:47 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Havoc wrote:

Has anyone else notice that is seems Bud has been lining up just a tad wider when rushing the QB? Kind of like the Eagles' rushers used to do. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems he has been, and it seems to have helped him not run himself out of the play by reducing the increased arc he was taking.

You mean like how he wouldn't set the edge and played so wide that Mccaffrey ran right by him about 6 times in a row?

He IS playing better, but he was woefully out of position a good portion of last night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm 

Just saw tomlin's post game presser. He summed it up nicely.

Nice win. Everybody made plays. So far escaped without major injury.

But they probably aren't as good as they (or we) think.

Carolina had a bad day, and most everything was working against them from their last sunday game.

Coaching and scheme worked yesterday and players executed. Not to mention football luck. The fumble in the red zone was a gift from the football gods.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I will take Tomlin in the playoffs any day. We will be in the Super Bowl this year.

LA is a paper tiger! LA is a paper tiger! LA is a paper tiger.

New Orleans is for real.

Kansas City is a paper tiger!

Patriots are for real.

We are going to Altlanta!

There's sort of a zen-haiku aesthetic to this that I can definitely get behind. My new pregame mantra.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm 

Obviously wrote:
The Steelers need to beat the Patriots in the playoffs. Period. And likely in Foxboro. Nothing else really matters. If the Pats get upset by KC or LAC before playing the Steelers then all the better, but how likely is that to happen?

I am hoping they play in Foxboro-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Havoc wrote:

You mean like how he wouldn't set the edge and played so wide that Mccaffrey ran right by him about 6 times in a row?

He IS playing better, but he was woefully out of position a good portion of last night.

His job was Cam, not the RB.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

You're yelling into a void.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

You're yelling into a void.
Well, there are those of us that are in the void that agree. But yeah. There aren't many of us here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
7forSteel wrote:
DP39 wrote:

Exactly, he and Watt both were assigned Cam on all those zone-read plays. They went after the head of the snake leaving others to worry about the body, and it worked beautifully!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:44 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Exactly, he and Watt both were assigned Cam on all those zone-read plays. They went after the head of the snake leaving others to worry about the body, and it worked beautifully!

The pick 6 was basically directly related to this plan of attack. Watt wasn't fazed by any play fake, because he simply had Cam as a target.

The strategy was built to stop Carolina's amazing success using play action AND to stop Cam's running. It gave a little in McCaffery running the ball off tackle, but he who tries to stop everything stops nothing.