It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ben Roethlisberger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm 

JaySteel72 wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Ben has been ballin, as per his usual. My only quibbles last 2 games r his scrambles...go down a little earlier man, im literally holding my breath that he doesnt get hurt.

It seems like Ben is running much more often this season. Plus, they've executed several QB sneaks. I guess it was Haley directing Ben not to run or sneak. So bizarre.

Didnt Ben go on a Tom Brady-like diet this past summer and really get himself in shape? That may be a big part of it to.

I don't think Ben has taken up eating the souls of children. He cut out a lot of sugar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I'd say that was his best game ever, and that includes those back to back 6TD games he had a couple of years ago.

He may have tossed 8 if they kept trying to score with the starting unit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:21 pm 

Ben had as perfect a game as a QB can have. Part of that is his elbow could be feeling better and he is able to get his natural velocity. And his accuracy was near perfect all game.

Ben raised his QB rating to 100.8, which in past years would have been top 5. But in today’s video game NFL, 100.8 rating is 11th. With top 3, Brees at 120.6, Mahomes at 116.7, and Rivers 116.5.

Ben is currently 2nd in yards with 2888, and 21 TDs and just 7 interceptions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
One of the more impressive things about his performance was: most of it came from in the pocket and most on-time throws with excellent accuracy. IOW, the stuff he's supposedly not as good at as the elite guys.

Accuracy last night was fire.

I never saw the OL look better, BTW.

There was one play I saw in particular that I actually thought was stopped because of a penalty or something. Because Ben dropped back and then just stood there until he delivered his pass for a completion.

And by standing there, I meant literally just standing there...like he was standing around during a play stoppage.

It was amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:42 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
One of the more impressive things about his performance was: most of it came from in the pocket and most on-time throws with excellent accuracy. IOW, the stuff he's supposedly not as good at as the elite guys.

There was one play I saw in particular that I actually thought was stopped because of a penalty or something. Because Ben dropped back and then just stood there until he delivered his pass for a completion.

And by standing there, I meant literally just standing there...like he was standing around during a play stoppage.

It was amazing.
The amount of time was astounding.

But that was all on AB. People like to attribute it to a dart from BR, but AB was probably his fourth read, and the way the game was going, he threw it up at the hash mark and let AB get under it. The defender was too busy chasing him around all night to look up. He figured the play was over already.

Where's B2B with the stopwatch. It must have been like 5-6 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:44 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

It was amazing.

But that was all on AB. People like to attribute it to a dart from BR, but AB was probably his fourth read, and the way the game was going, he threw it up at the hash mark and let AB get under it. The defender was too busy chasing him around all night to look up. He figured the play was over already.

He told me Ben’s top speed clocked in at 106 mph.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:54 pm 

LOL Perch!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

It was amazing.

The bolded is not true. This thread is about Ben and his game last night which takes nothing away from AB's greatness.

If you are talking about the throw deep middle. Ben threw a frozen rope.

The TD down the sidelines... AB had zero separation which is why he was hand fighting with the defender. AB won the handfight. The football could not have been placed any better if Ben had walked up to AB and handed it off to him.

Edit:

I looked at the 33 yd completion deep middle to AB a few more times.

It's the play at the 12:00 minute mark in the 2nd quarter.

AB might have had to stop and wait for it. It might not have been a perfectly placed throw but it was a low trajectory throw (frozen rope as opposed to a rainbow for the wr to run under). I'll look at it again when the all 22 comes out.

Last edited by Havoc on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm 

Didn't mean to rain on BR's parade. And "dart" or "frozen rope" is subject to interpretation.

I'll agree to disagree on the throw down the middle. The throw to AB down the sidelines was perfect, and a classic dropped on a dime.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Didn't mean to rain on BR's parade. And "dart" or "frozen rope" is subject to interpretation.

I'll agree to disagree on the throw down the middle. The throw to AB down the sidelines was perfect, and a classic dropped on a dime.

I looked at that play a few more times.

It's the play at the 12:00 minute mark in the 2nd quarter.

AB might have had to stop and wait for it. It might not have been a perfectly placed throw but it was a low trajectory throw, 32 yds from the LOS (frozen rope as opposed to a rainbow for the wr to run under). I'll look at it again when the all 22 comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 pm 

Havoc wrote:
The TD down the sidelines... AB had zero separation which is why he was hand fighting with the defender. AB won the handfight. The football could not have been placed any better if Ben had walked up to AB and handed it off to him.

I thought it was a little underthrown, maybe 1.5 yards from hitting him perfectly in stride. Much better deep ball than we've seen from Ben almost all year. But it's possible Ben took a little off that to let AB adjust and maybe even go up for a jump ball, since there was no separation.

I'm reserving judgement on the elbow/deep ball until I see more. Didn't need it this game, but Ben has attempted very few deep balls the last several weeks. That TD throw to JuJu was also pretty good, and I think that was maybe 25 yards in the air?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Havoc wrote:

I thought it was a little underthrown, maybe 1.5 yards from hitting him perfectly in stride. Much better deep ball than we've seen from Ben almost all year. But it's possible Ben took a little off that to let AB adjust and maybe even go up for a jump ball, since there was no separation.

I'm reserving judgement on the elbow/deep ball until I see more. Didn't need it this game, but Ben has attempted very few deep balls the last several weeks. That TD throw to JuJu was also pretty good, and I think that was maybe 25 yards in the air?

The TD to JuJu traveled about 35 yds in the air (about 27 yds downfield from the LOS)

The 33 yd completion to AB traveled about 39 yds in the air (32 yds from the LOS)

The 53 yd TD traveled 41 yds in the air (33 yds from the LOS)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:45 pm 

Havoc wrote:
The TD to JuJu traveled about 35 yds in the air (about 27 yds downfield from the LOS)

The 33 yd completion to AB traveled about 39 yds in the air (32 yds from the LOS)

The 53 yd TD traveled 41 yds in the air (33 yds from the LOS)

Good stuff. But the "deep ball" stat is based off LOS, so you have 2 30+ this game and no 40+ attempt.

Through 9 games, Ben is 3/17 on 30+ in the air, and 0/3 on 40+...did not expect those attempts to be that high, but it feels like it's not been as high in recent weeks. That is 2.22 attempts per game.

Last year in 15 games, Ben was 7/28 pn 30+, and 3/12 on 40+.....2.67attempts per game.
In 2016, he was 7/23 and 3/14 in 14 games....also @ 2.63 attempts per game.
in 2015, he was in 8/21 and 5/12 in 12 games ....2.75 attempts per game

So about 0.5 fewer attempts per game, but again feels less the last month. Could end the year in that normal 2.7 range if Washington emerges as a legit deep threat.

Also read an article the other day that defenses are playing more umbrella coverage and trying to take away splash plays. Long runs and long completions are both down significantly, so it would make sense Ben is throwing deep a few less times because coverage dictates it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Ben now has 8 games with a passer rating over 150. The most all-time.

he actually held the record with 8 prior to last night

extended his own record to 9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:18 pm 

If ben gets accurate with the deep ball watch out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm 

remember back all the years when ben was always called game manager and the number of passes in a game dictated steelers wins and losses? :lol: :lol: the steelers can't win with ben throwing the ball all over field was the story by the talking heads! funny shit then and never heard now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:21 pm 

whats so great for ben and steelers now . we have so many guys who can catch and run. McDonald and outlaw, even grumble. nix-conner; juju brown. noway to over everyone. throw in well designed plays and time from o-line the defense is fucked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:13 pm 

bam morris wrote:
remember back all the years when ben was always called game manager and the number of passes in a game dictated steelers wins and losses? :lol: :lol: the steelers can't win with ben throwing the ball all over field was the story by the talking heads! funny shit then and never heard now.

Very funny....I think the number was 30. As long as Ben didn't throw 30 passes the Steelers had a chance to win :lol:

BTW, Ben scrambling more just adds yet another element to this offense. Of course, watching him run now makes your heart speed up in a hurry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:32 pm 

There’s a pattern for the last 4 years that the Steelers and Ben start the regular season slowly and get stronger as the season progresses. Every year after 4-5 games fans on this very website say Ben has lost it. Ben is old. But by weeks 10 to 16 wondering if he is an all-pro.

It’s also notable that at age 36, Ben is taking his conditioning and diet more seriously than ever before. And it shows. Overall Ben has played the last 4 years including this season, on par or arguably better than any 4 year stretch during his career. Ben is far from done.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

It was amazing.

I posted this in another thread but I'll add it here. On the 33 yd completion to AB deep middle...

We had 5 blocking 2 on that play. Ben released the football about 3.7 seconds from the snap.

Panthers had 6 at LOS but only 2 rushed the passer, the rest peeled off and dropped into coverage.

Ben looked right, looked middle, looked left, looked middle again and made the throw.