It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: “Pass the Sticks”
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am 

I agree you have to cut Ridley. Samuels is showing some promise. He's a first year guy who has gotten better and he may round into a very nice back by next year. I'd hate to lose that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am 

Ice wrote:
SteelDrama wrote:
Quote:
Posting on social media Thursday night, Le'Veon Bell tweeted "I think it’s safe to say, it’s time to pass the sticks."
Bell finished the tweet with three "smiling face with sunglasses" emojis. For those of you unfamiliar with Madden or PlayStation 2's "Street Hoops" (see "Chappelle's Show"), "pass the sticks" means "your time is up" in video game parlance. Bell will be reporting before Tuesday afternoon's deadline, and he wants the controller back from James Conner. Conner stayed scorching on Thursday evening, decking the Panthers for another 100-plus yard game. If Bell is active for Week 11 against the Jaguars, he will almost certainly be a package player, taking a backseat to his understudy. The saga will be officially ending soon, likely Monday, though Friday is also a possibility.
Source: Le'Veon Bell on Twitter Nov 8 - 10:39 PM

Pass the sticks meant that we 21'ed em. Jesus, nobody here has ever played Madden?

I quite playing video games when i was 18.

I'd rather cut Hunter. He may be a gifted athlete but he's a terrible football player and he's had his chance. WAY more chances than most guys who have performed like him. If the WR corp takes injuries you could sign FA's that would more than adequately replace Hunter. Probably a dozen guys out there that are upgrades.

I'm a little scare Tomlin works Bell back into the bell cow and we go back to the plodding, less explosive offense pre-Conner.

Could anyone be so dumb? I mean, it's obvious Bell won't be a Steeler next year and Conner is the future.

BTW, were are those guys that bitched about Conner being a wasted pick. Doesn't seem like a feel good hometown boy pick anymore. does it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am 

I agree you could cut Hunter easily and upgrade later. Problem is..he knows the offense. There is some value in that late in the year where the window to learn is small.

With Switz coming on strongly, that has helped the #3 WR position. I'm feeling better about it. I'd love for James Washington to explode but it just hasn't happened yet. I still think he'll get there but he's got to do more of the little things to get open.

If Tomlin goes back to the slow paced 3 yards and a cloud of dust Bell offense, I will destroy my TV. Even Tomlin can't be that dumb. Bell should be nothing more than a change of pace back

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am 

SteelDrama wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
interesting, i see you take Drama, you might be right, i took it as hes watching the game and saying pass the sticks from the starters to the backups.

Not my take Greek. Just a rotoblurb.

gotcha, my bad bro.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:00 am 

At this point i think Bell would be even dumber to come back than this entire holdout has been...i just dont see it. Whats he got to gain, if he plays well, it just reconfirms his talents to anyone interested in throwing money at him...whereas if he gets hurt or sucks, thats gonna cost him potential dollars. I just dont see him coming back, plus hes recently removed all associations to the Pittsburgh Steelers on all his media accounts. He gone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 am 

KC wrote:
We don't need 4 fucking tailbacks.

Cut Ridley.

Much like Matt Cushing 15 years ago or whatever, if you call Ridley's phone in 6 or 7 weeks because of injury, Ridley will answer on the first ring.

Ain't nobody gonna sign him.

Also, as much as I dislike Justin Hunter, James Washington wasn't even targeted last night.

In a blowout.

If you cut Hunter, you better be signing Damoun Patterson or something.

Are you comfortable with an out of shape Bell not tweaking a groin or hammy?

Because Justin Hunter's phone will also just take 1 ring to get him back if we need him

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:35 am 

I don't know what some of you guys see in Ridley. I think he's just as bad as Toussaint. Completely replaceable. Hunter is crappy too, though. Even stiffs like Cobi Hamilton had more impact in games. Ridley or Hunter, either one is a pretty painless cut.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:52 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
At this point i think Bell would be even dumber to come back than this entire holdout has been...i just dont see it. Whats he got to gain, if he plays well, it just reconfirms his talents to anyone interested in throwing money at him...whereas if he gets hurt or sucks, thats gonna cost him potential dollars. I just dont see him coming back, plus hes recently removed all associations to the Pittsburgh Steelers on all his media accounts. He gone.

You mean removed even his friends on the Steelers? Damn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:10 am 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
I don't know what some of you guys see in Ridley. I think he's just as bad as Toussaint. Completely replaceable. Hunter is crappy too, though. Even stiffs like Cobi Hamilton had more impact in games. Ridley or Hunter, either one is a pretty painless cut.

I don't hate Ridley and Bell is not my favorite guy right now.
However, you easily let Ridley go and get Bell in shape if he comes back.
Samuels will keep a roster spot due to his flexibility and age.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:42 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:

I agree he's just a guy, but are there really any other alternatives out there?

I don't trust Bell from:
1) Being physically ready to play OR
2) Being willing to go to battle for his teammates

So I'm hedging my bets by keeping Ridley until we see how things unfold. What happens if Bell goes down a week before playoffs (again)? Now you call in an out of shape Ridley from off his couch and expect him to play a large role in a playoff game? No thanks...I've seen that movie before and hopefully Tomlin learns from his mistakes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:41 pm 

You're getting around to my point: do you cut a good soldier who hasn't played poorly, so that you can replace him with a guy who's done everything wrong except has superior talent (last we saw him)?

I personally cut Ridley for Bell but I don't give him massive snaps unless he earns it. I also cut Hunter and sign Damoun Patterson like yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:54 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
You're getting around to my point: do you cut a good soldier who hasn't played poorly, so that you can replace him with a guy who's done everything wrong except has superior talent (last we saw him)?

I personally cut Ridley for Bell but I don't give him massive snaps unless he earns it. I also cut Hunter and sign Damoun Patterson like yesterday.

Hunter is Tomlin's personal project - similar to Shamarko. Both had tough upbringings in the 757. My guess is he's trying to mold them into better men (something he prides himself on) by having them around as long as he can. Call it community outreach - if you will. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:26 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
Ice wrote:
Pass the sticks meant that we 21'ed em. Jesus, nobody here has ever played Madden?

What does "21'ed em" mean?

It's where you apply the mercy rule in Madden, essentially. When somebody goes up by 21, the game's over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm 

thanks ice