It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Randy Fucking Finchtner
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:51 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
If your O-Line plays like this, all of the coaches on offense will look brilliant. I haven’t seen a Steelers O-Line look this good in generations.

Do you consider the Dirk-centered lines outside of "generations"? Because I'd put them up against some of the best.

It's funny, sometimes I'll be flipping through channels on a Saturday and see Iowa playing. And for a split second, I think it's the Steelers because the uniforms are so similar. I think it was our second or third possession when I said out loud, "Is this fricken' Iowa? Because I don't recognize this offense!"

I think the notice that was sent to the rest of the conference, if not the league, is our playcalling. The production on offense wouldn't have happened without that dynamic, creative, un-Steelerlike playcalling. I can usually call the plays based on formation and personnel and situation. I wasnt able to predict even half of the plays last night because I'd never seen us run many of them. (Until the fourth quarter, that is)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 am 

Correct. We wasted some prime lines with mediocre QBs on Cowher teams. 7, 8 or 9 minute second half drives that would digest chunks of periods.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:24 am 

stillthere wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:
And I owe Fichtner a forum apology. I thought he was an Arkansas State nepotism hire who didn't have the chops to be a professional OC. He's been proving me wrong over these past few weeks.

There were at least 5 unique wrinkles in the Carolina game that I have not seen out of Pittsburgh ever. That shovel pass looking play they ran with JuJu using Brown as a decoy was a great design. Also way way way better than running the shovel pass to Jesse James (which while effective is not gonna be a 20 yarder)

They’ve run that exact same play multiple times, often in goal to go from inside the 5. I think it just looked different out in the middle of the field. It was what many have long suggested: why don’t we use those great 2-point plays to pick up a 3rd and short?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:39 am 

Scunge wrote:
Now look, here Brown is catching less balls but is actually on pace to have his best season ever for touchdowns. So, is it better to have 136 catches and only 9 TDs or to have maybe 90 catches and 16-18 TDs? I know which one I think is better, more effective, better for the offense.

Not only that, but replacing catches and yards stats with TD stats appears to be keeping AB happy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:34 pm 

the only thing I would elimate is that wr screen behind the line

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:37 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:

That works for 5-6 yards on average? Damn, man, they're killing with it because they made it a lot less telegraphed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:52 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Stupendous performance tonight, on a short week, yet.

other then a couple of the bubble screens I dislike I loved the play mix and the execution even more. had them off balance all damn night. this offense is getting to be scary good dare I say! so many weapons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:39 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:

You mean like the one AB scored a TD on last week?

Post subject: Re: Randy Fucking Fichtner
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:21 pm 

NO the screens that lost yardage .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:55 pm 

In the past 2 games, Switzer is tied with JuJu for the most 3rd down receptions.

Fichtner doin' work.

Quote:
he’s tied in third down receptions with JuJu Smith-Schuster. Still, the fact that Switzer, who had begun to fade from this offense, is thriving on such an important down means this offense has established another threat in the passing game. He has four receptions on third down against the Baltimore Ravens and Carolina Panthers, all of them moving the sticks.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/film-room-ryan-switzer-becoming-a-weapon-on-third-down/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
They’ve run that exact same play multiple times, often in goal to go from inside the 5. I think it just looked different out in the middle of the field. It was what many have long suggested: why don’t we use those great 2-point plays to pick up a 3rd and short?

That reminds me B2B, it was that 2 point offense and the scheming of players to get open which made me a big fan of Fitchner and was one of the things that made me think he would be a great OC.

What I love with Fitchner/Ben is that they seem very open to looking at what the rest of the NFL is doing and incorporating it into the offense. Truly mind numbing to me to think what the past few seasons would have been like had we moved on from Haley sooner, how much further evolved this offense would be. You look at the changes, the new wrinkles after just half a season, imagine what they will have done after a full season, and then a full offseason to fine tune and add to it!! I understand why Ben wants to play 5 more years, it must have felt like he was shackled with Haley, as if he were under house arrest with an ankle monitor. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 pm 

Scunge wrote:
.... I understand why Ben wants to play 5 more years, it must have felt like he was shackled with Haley, as if he were under house arrest with an ankle monitor. :lol:

Also think he knew he had the green light to be more mobile and some sandlot this year, so he whipped his ass into shape.

Arians wasn't very good, either. Although Ben liked the style of play, Arians was not good at scheming people open or working in the run, either.

I imagine if we still had Haley we'd be scratching our heads wondering why we were in the bottom half of the league in points. Remember, Haley also didn't like the middle of the field. Truly a low reward offense without really lowering the risk.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:21 am 

Scunge wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

That reminds me B2B, it was that 2 point offense and the scheming of players to get open which made me a big fan of Fitchner and was one of the things that made me think he would be a great OC.

What I love with Fitchner/Ben is that they seem very open to looking at what the rest of the NFL is doing and incorporating it into the offense. Truly mind numbing to me to think what the past few seasons would have been like had we moved on from Haley sooner, how much further evolved this offense would be. You look at the changes, the new wrinkles after just half a season, imagine what they will have done after a full season, and then a full offseason to fine tune and add to it!! I understand why Ben wants to play 5 more years, it must have felt like he was shackled with Haley, as if he were under house arrest with an ankle monitor. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 am 

You all do know that the 2-pt conversions reverted to the mean? And that we NEVER ran the ball for a single 2-pt conversion?

I'm not ready to crown his ass just yet....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:07 am 

TE output surpassed last year's total. Yes, healthy McDonald, but James has almost equaled his.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:14 am 

Scunge,
I love how you undercover layers and get into the bowels of things. Lots of substance to back up your arguments.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am 

Kodiak wrote:
You all do know that the 2-pt conversions reverted to the mean? And that we NEVER ran the ball for a single 2-pt conversion?

I'm not ready to crown his ass just yet....

But we sure run the ball now in the regular offense...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:18 pm 

Scunge wrote:
What I am loving about this offense right now, and specifically with Randy, is that we are now beginning to scheme 'open' players. This was my biggest issue with Haley. Fitchner is really starting to put it all together. I love that Switz, Nix and Samuels were being used to get important catches at times during drives.

This was really missing with Haley, he just over relied on Brown and Bell. For all of the talk about Bell being gone, how this offense may be better with him paired with Conner, I am of the thought that perhaps this offense does not improve as it has if Bell had signed his tender and showed up day one.

I think Fitchner was able to put his stamp on this offense without Bell, without the enamor, the appeal of Bell.
I think Haley got drunk on Bell and Brown and it made him lazy as an OC, as a play caller and designer of the offense.

Fitchner actually had a great weight lifted off of his shoulders with Bell not being there in my opinion. With Bell not there the other players on offense were able to get chances, opportunities that they might otherwise not have gotten. The TEs and how they have been playing, how they are legitimate threats in the passing game, would they be playing like that if Bell was taking targets away from them??

Last season Bell was targeted 106 times and produced just 85 catches for 655 yards, a 7.7 avg and 2 TDs. Teams wanted the Steelers to WASTE their time throwing to Bell. All of those targets, 106 passes and it produced just 31 first downs and just 2 TDs. Meanwhile this season, a lot of those excessive targets that would have gone to Bell have been spread around and produced more first downs, more yards per catch and more TDs. Rosie Nix has been targeted 4 times and produced 3 catches for 36 yards, a 12.0 yard average and 2 of those went for first downs. That is just one small example but you take Nix, Switz, Samuels, Conner, James, McDonald and even Grimble, you take all of those players taking advantage of the targets that normally would have gone to Bell, and poof, just like that the offense is scoring more TDs.

That was the lie of Lev Bell for me, all of those targets, all of those touches and he simply was not producing touchdowns.

Yes it was probably easier for Fichtner to put his stamp on this offense without Bell, for multiple reasons.

Agree on the lie of Bell. He was always overrated, even in his career best 2014 season. He reminded us of Faulk and we wanted him to be Faulk, but he was never on Faulk's level.

Remove Bell, add Conner = net gain. Conner > 2017 Bell at scoring TD's, runs over 20 yards, receptions over 20 yds, Y/R. Conner hits the RZ hole faster, gets thru the RZ hole faster, and is better at knifing thru defenders in the RZ.

I am so glad I don't have to watch slow motion Molasses anymore. I don't think there is any doubt our OL would rather block for the quicker burst hit the hole get thru the hole Conner.

Last edited by Havoc on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:13 pm 

It's no secret that 3rd down efficiency has dramatically improved during the win streak. It seems that Fichtner has done the impossible and guided Ben and the offense to get first downs rather than force shots downfield.

I'm certain that there are times to take a 3rd and short chance on single coverage on Antonio Brown - but not every single time, and maybe not given the situation. Perhaps its more playcalling where plays are designed specifically to open up a window for a 4,5,6 yard game - good enough for the first down.

The benefits are multi fold, tire out the defense with more possession, save your defense with more possession, make the defenses worry about more looks for later in the game.

it also is allowing other players to contribute as we use a guy like Switzer where he's more productive in moving the chains. I'm also seeing more use of Conner in a check down role - which boggles my mind that Bell wasn't used more than way as a scheme. Getting that guy the ball in space should have been a focus of this offense rather than an afterthought.

Todd Haley had a Bugatti and drove it backwards with his knees while he watched his wife get plowed in the rear view mirror. Fichtner is starting to show what this offense can do over 60 minutes in a game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm 

I like Conner... but lets not act like Bell wasn't a good back.

I think Conner has proven he can do many of the things Bell could do and that the distance between them might not have been as much as previously thought.

But I think what we are seeing this year is mostly due to the difference in offensive coordinators as opposed to the running backs.