It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Randy Fucking Fichtner
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 pm 

I've been beating on the table for this dude since 2012. I might've finally been right about something.

Last edited by 86n96 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Randy Fucking Finchtner
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:08 am 

Stupendous performance tonight, on a short week, yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:11 am 

Called a great game. Been great on 3rd down during the streak, and keeps his foot on the gas in the red zone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 am 

Tremendous.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 am 

Need to be wary of next game. It's one of those.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:28 am 

AirRescueFF wrote:

We’ve been embarrassed by Jacksonville the last two games.

The Steelers won’t be napping on them.

Remains to be seen what, if any, distraction Bell will cause if he returns, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:28 am 

Ol' Randy has made this O so much more dynamic. Panthers D isn't chopped liver and I loved seeing guys catching the ball in stride and not just settling in a zone or Ben having to throw in tight windows. The 3rd downs were on avg 5 or less yards for the most part and even if it was 3rd and long they exploited the D to give guys room to roam.

A thing of beauty tonight. Well Done!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:35 am 

Jeemie wrote:
AirRescueFF wrote:

We’ve been embarrassed by Jacksonville the last two games.

The Steelers won’t be napping on them.

Remains to be seen what, if any, distraction Bell will cause if he returns, though.

I'm worried about the Broncos and Raiders games. One of those will probably be a let down game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 am 

And I owe Fichtner a forum apology. I thought he was an Arkansas State nepotism hire who didn't have the chops to be a professional OC. He's been proving me wrong over these past few weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:56 am 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
And I owe Fichtner a forum apology. I thought he was an Arkansas State nepotism hire who didn't have the chops to be a professional OC. He's been proving me wrong over these past few weeks.

There were at least 5 unique wrinkles in the Carolina game that I have not seen out of Pittsburgh ever. That shovel pass looking play they ran with JuJu using Brown as a decoy was a great design. Also way way way better than running the shovel pass to Jesse James (which while effective is not gonna be a 20 yarder)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:02 am 

What I am loving about this offense right now, and specifically with Randy, is that we are now beginning to scheme 'open' players. This was my biggest issue with Haley. Fitchner is really starting to put it all together. I love that Switz, Nix and Samuels were being used to get important catches at times during drives.

This was really missing with Haley, he just over relied on Brown and Bell. For all of the talk about Bell being gone, how this offense may be better with him paired with Conner, I am of the thought that perhaps this offense does not improve as it has if Bell had signed his tender and showed up day one.

I think Fitchner was able to put his stamp on this offense without Bell, without the enamor, the appeal of Bell. I think Haley got drunk on Bell and Brown and it made him lazy as an OC, as a play caller and designer of the offense.

Fitchner actually had a great weight lifted off of his shoulders with Bell not being there in my opinion. With Bell not there the other players on offense were able to get chances, opportunities that they might otherwise not have gotten. The TEs and how they have been playing, how they are legitimate threats in the passing game, would they be playing like that if Bell was taking targets away from them??

Last season Bell was targeted 106 times and produced just 85 catches for 655 yards, a 7.7 avg and 2 TDs. Teams wanted the Steelers to WASTE their time throwing to Bell. All of those targets, 106 passes and it produced just 31 first downs and just 2 TDs. Meanwhile this season, a lot of those excessive targets that would have gone to Bell have been spread around and produced more first downs, more yards per catch and more TDs. Rosie Nix has been targeted 4 times and produced 3 catches for 36 yards, a 12.0 yard average and 2 of those went for first downs. That is just one small example but you take Nix, Switz, Samuels, Conner, James, McDonald and even Grimble, you take all of those players taking advantage of the targets that normally would have gone to Bell, and poof, just like that the offense is scoring more TDs.

That was the lie of Lev Bell for me, all of those targets, all of those touches and he simply was not producing touchdowns.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:54 am 

Yep, I was thinking from early on - and stayed thinking the whole game -THIS was finally a dynamic and creative offense I've seen other teams calling. Ben really didn't even have to make many tough throws.

That was an offense tonight that Dobbs (or even Laundry Jones) could be a Pro Bowler in. Fun to watch. This offense might have more Ben than ever, and that's not a bad thing. But Fitchner seem to know how to be creative without being cute (and we've kind of seen that with his 2-pt conversions).

And fit Ben looks as good as he has in years. Playing the best ball of his whole career right now. And to think some posters here were trying to retire Ben at the start of each of the last two seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:03 am 

Ben is also distributing the ball as well as ever. Balls aren't really being forced to AB, and I think his efficiency has to be jumping off the charts.

And Ben willing to scramble is going to pay big dividends. We haven't seen that in about 10 years, except on rare occasions. That keeps defenses honest. Hell, we see Brady run for a handful of first downs every year. Haley was really handcuffing Ben on the sneak and scrambling.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:09 am 

Scunge wrote:
What I am loving about this offense right now, and specifically with Randy, is that we are now beginning to scheme 'open' players. This was my biggest issue with Haley. Fitchner is really starting to put it all together. I love that Switz, Nix and Samuels were being used to get important catches at times during drives.

One of the hallmarks of what I'm also loving about this offense now. The scheming players open has been missing from this offense for a long time now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:44 am 

Stillcajun wrote:
One of the hallmarks of what I'm also loving about this offense now. The scheming players open has been missing from this offense for a long time now.

It was amazing tonight. I've never seen that in the Ben Roethlisberger era. Not once, to be honest, despite some huge games. That was a very, very easy game for Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:02 am 

Quote:
Randy Fucking Fichtner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 am 

Scunge wrote:

This was really missing with Haley, he just over relied on Brown and Bell. For all of the talk about Bell being gone, how this offense may be better with him paired with Conner, I am of the thought that perhaps this offense does not improve as it has if Bell had signed his tender and showed up day one.

I think Fitchner was able to put his stamp on this offense without Bell, without the enamor, the appeal of Bell. I think Haley got drunk on Bell and Brown and it made him lazy as an OC, as a play caller and designer of the offense.

Fitchner actually had a great weight lifted off of his shoulders with Bell not being there in my opinion. With Bell not there the other players on offense were able to get chances, opportunities that they might otherwise not have gotten. The TEs and how they have been playing, how they are legitimate threats in the passing game, would they be playing like that if Bell was taking targets away from them??

Last season Bell was targeted 106 times and produced just 85 catches for 655 yards, a 7.7 avg and 2 TDs. Teams wanted the Steelers to WASTE their time throwing to Bell. All of those targets, 106 passes and it produced just 31 first downs and just 2 TDs. Meanwhile this season, a lot of those excessive targets that would have gone to Bell have been spread around and produced more first downs, more yards per catch and more TDs. Rosie Nix has been targeted 4 times and produced 3 catches for 36 yards, a 12.0 yard average and 2 of those went for first downs. That is just one small example but you take Nix, Switz, Samuels, Conner, James, McDonald and even Grimble, you take all of those players taking advantage of the targets that normally would have gone to Bell, and poof, just like that the offense is scoring more TDs.

That was the lie of Lev Bell for me, all of those targets, all of those touches and he simply was not producing touchdowns.

I only disagree with one point Scunge, I don’t think it would have mattered if Bell was here or not. I think the turmoil at the beginning of the season, and I refer to it as when Brown’s statistics monster was slain, was actually the offensive snake shedding its skin, and Randy forcing a new philosophy and doctrine on the team.

You summed it up beautifully by stating that Randy is using the big money players to scheme open the small money players, and most importantly, and it can not be understated, scheming the small money players open with big money player decoys for the crucial plays: the third down conversions, the 3rd down conversions in the red zone, the 3rd down conversions in the red zone at the end of the game.

If the defensive trendline continues to point up, we will get #7 this year and maybe repeat. The gunk (THTDs) is out of the engine!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:58 am 

I totally agree about your Brown Statistics Monster point. I have been saying for a couple years now that we have been targeting Brown too much, forcing the ball to him too much. I was arguing that the best offense would be one where we spread the ball around, got everybody involved and maybe Brown would have a season where he caught maybe 85-90 balls. I have been championing this for years.

Now look, here Brown is catching less balls but is actually on pace to have his best season ever for touchdowns. So, is it better to have 136 catches and only 9 TDs or to have maybe 90 catches and 16-18 TDs? I know which one I think is better, more effective, better for the offense.

I still think that Fitchner had an easier time of transforming this offense from Haley without Bell there. Think about it, instead of having Bell and Brown, and hell, even Marty Bryant all lusting for the football, for touches, targets, all he had to do is worry about Brown. Bryant was traded, Bell refused to sign his tag and so Randy worked with who he had available and was able to get Brown on board easier.

Still have work to do on offense. For all of the excuse making on part of that Fox broadcast team for Carolina's O-line never once did they mention that we were missing a starter at RT in Gilbert. Even though Washington had a very quiet game from a stats standpoint, he never the less got respect from Carolina's defense and it led to some players being schemed open for plays. The JuJu TD being the most obvious but there were other subtle plays that went unnoticed.

Even if Bell signs and comes back, I am hopeful that Washington and Samuels and Switz can all develop and solidify the parts of the offense that have been lacking. I really like how Switz is developing a rapport with Ben and becoming that annoying Wes Welker type of chain mover inside. Annoying for defenses but beautiful for us!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:25 am 

Scunge wrote:
Still have work to do on offense. For all of the excuse making on part of that Fox broadcast team for Carolina's O-line never once did they mention that we were missing a starter at RT in Gilbert.

That was annoying to me as well. When I hear national media fawning over the o-line I automatically think it is underhanded dismissal of #7 or what Connor is doing.

But then I heard the host on NFL network say she can name every O-Line player on the Steelers and can’t name one on almost all teams and thought that the o-line is that good!

Munchak is great, and the o-line is probably best in the league, but it all starts with Ben. They make him good, but he makes them and the WRs and the RBs better than they do him. He is the keystone on the real keystone state team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 am 

If your O-Line plays like this, all of the coaches on offense will look brilliant. I haven’t seen a Steelers O-Line look this good in generations.