It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brown is fast both on and off the field :-)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
It's definitely dumb and I'd never do it on McKnight, but it could very well be a lot more innocent than people think.

I drive a Honda Fit and so I have no clue how one "accidentally starts going 100 mph," but it seems to me that in order to do 100 on a busy thoroughfare (McKNight is HEAVILY trafficked IIRC), you have to be a moron of the highest intensity. Surprised he wasn't thrown in jail for reckless endangerment. He should have been.

No opinion on driving after "I drive a Honda Fit" needs to be paid attention to in the slightest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:29 pm 

163 in a 94 RX-7 (TX hway). At that speed it was running out of front downforce and required multiple steering corrections as the nose got lighter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:47 pm 

I think it's EXTREMELY unlikely they actually clocked him at 100+mph.

Unless they have a radar speed trap set up, every other means of calculating his speed is suspect.

Did they follow him for a 1/4 mile, also going 100mph? Doubtful.

The report said the police were looking for a robbery suspect, when they "saw a car go by at a high rate of speed". I'd like to know how they eyed that car up and calculated it was going over 100.

Bear in mind that going over 100 is the only thing that makes this a story. I'm going to wait for some evidence before I believe that part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
Cars that are made to go fast make going fast completely effortless. And honestly, it actually removes some of the adrenaline out of going fast because it feels so safe (even if it isn't).

Exactly.

In my younger days (early 20's) I was cursed with not having rich parents, but blessed with having friends with rich parents. I was living in Port St. Lucie, FL in the early 90's and spent many an evening at high rates of speed on A1A between Ft. Pierce and Vero Beach. It's about 10 miles of ocean on one side and inlet on the other with no roads entering it other than residential drives and a business parking lot here and there. When it starts getting dark, you can see anyone with any intention of entering the road because of their headlights. Otherwise, it's 10 miles of straight adrenaline.

One friend's dad got one of the first Viper RT/10's in production. We didn't even know what the car was at the time. But it was a beast. It didn't like 60mph. It lurched when you were going 60 and hit the gas. It didn't really settle in until 85-90 mph. But it actually got a little hard to handle at 120+ Nice thing about that stretch going north was that there were 2 roads at the upper end, the Vero causeway and North Hutch. If a cop was traveling south and you blew by him at 110, he couldn't turn around on that little 2 lane road and get up to speed before you were completely out of view. Then we would just take the first causeway and watch for the lights to either blow by en route to the further causeway or chose ours and drive right past us. Then we'd head right back over the causeway and spend the next 4 minutes tearing up the southern 8 miles. The goal was to make the entire 10 mile stretch in under 5 minutes. We never did it. Under 6? No problem. Under 5 was the holy grail.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:07 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Unless they have a radar speed trap set up, every other means of calculating his speed is suspect.

The report said the police were looking for a robbery suspect, when they "saw a car go by at a high rate of speed". I'd like to know how they eyed that car up and calculated it was going over 100.

Bear in mind that going over 100 is the only thing that makes this a story. I'm going to wait for some evidence before I believe that part of the story.

There is a video on twitter and local news websites if you feel like taking out a stopwatch and doing some math.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:14 pm 

Ice wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
It's definitely dumb and I'd never do it on McKnight, but it could very well be a lot more innocent than people think.

I drive a Honda Fit and so I have no clue how one "accidentally starts going 100 mph," but it seems to me that in order to do 100 on a busy thoroughfare (McKNight is HEAVILY trafficked IIRC), you have to be a moron of the highest intensity. Surprised he wasn't thrown in jail for reckless endangerment. He should have been.

No opinion on driving after "I drive a Honda Fit" needs to be paid attention to in the slightest.

I wonder if you see the irony in your post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 pm 

SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

There is a video on twitter and local news websites if you feel like taking out a stopwatch and doing some math.
In NYC, and I presume NY State, cops need to be trained in "speed" in order to stop cars that they think are "speeding." Otherwise, they need proof with a radar gun. Lawyers will ask cops if they are trained in "speed" before even taking a case where somebody contests a ticket. NYC cops told me this. And that means just going 5 mph over the speed limit. I drove back once from vermont and did on average 85mph, and had two, count 'em two unmarked cop cars flash their lights at me. I always thought traffic cops had to be identified, but it depends on the jurisdiction. Unmarked cars can in fact pull you over.

I rented an audi a4 recently for a trip in Europe. I found myself going 190 Kilometers per hour at times. Which translates to about 118 mph and I could barely tell the difference between that and 85 mph.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

Here's a tweet with the video. No other cars around him.

It's dumb to go that fast on a public road...but this is still a complete "whatever" to me. (And I'm no fan at all of Antonio Brown the human being, for the record).

https://twitter.com/WPXIAaronMartin/status/1060588520933351430?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1060588520933351430&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.12up.com%2Fposts%2F6218027-video-watch-police-go-after-antonio-brown-in-100-mph-chase

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:36 pm 

Well, I did just that... at least in this film, maybe he's going 65-75.

I timed the cars coming the other way from where the shade/sun border crosses the road and then AB's car in the opposite direction. It isn't straight shot/perfect comparison, but close enough that the times I got showed AB going, at most, 50% faster than cars in the other direction. The cars coming the other way seem to be bunched up and likely going closer to the speed limit there. And That truck in the passing lane is damn unlikely to be going faster than 50, and that's being liberal with my imagination.

As an aside: what I love about speeding tickets is how much faster the police have to drive in order to catch a "dangerous" or "reckless" speeder. How many crimes are so bad that the police have to commit the offense, only worse, to stop it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:38 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I timed the cars coming the other way from where the shade/sun border crosses the road and then AB's car in the opposite direction. It isn't straight shot/perfect comparison, but close enough that the times I got showed AB going, at most, 50% faster than cars in the other direction. The cars coming the other way seem to be bunched up and likely going closer to the speed limit there. And That truck in the passing lane is damn unlikely to be going faster than 50, and that's being liberal with my imagination.

As an aside: what I love about speeding tickets is how much faster the police have to drive in order to catch a "dangerous" or "reckless" speeder. How many crimes are so bad that the police have to commit the offense, only worse, to stop it?

To be fair, the cops are already pursuing him in the video, meaning they would theoretically have clocked him well before the video started.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

To be fair, the cops are already pursuing him in the video, meaning they would theoretically have clocked him well before the video started.
I don't think they clocked him. Probably just estimated based on the speed they were going to catch up. I read that they were investigating bank robbery, and made the assumption the guy going fast was the thief.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:06 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Of course, that's true... but it's still going to be hard for them to make that charge stick without some evidence.

My guess is: the charge of speeding is reduced to 65mph + reckless and he pays a fine and goes home.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:07 pm 

Exactly my line of thought. They estimated, and their estimate was kind of reckless... turned this into a story/clicks that "Antonio Brown Got A Speeding Ticket" would not have gotten.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:19 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Of course, that's true... but it's still going to be hard for them to make that charge stick without some evidence.

My guess is: the charge of speeding is reduced to 65mph + reckless and he pays a fine and goes home.

Oh yeah, no doubt. But I don't really care about the punishment, personally. As long as he wasn't drunk or high (and I can't imagine he'd be either on game day), I don't think the NFL is going to view this as a suspendable offense, which is about where my concern for it ends.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:25 pm 

AB is probably the best 6th round draft pick of all time. Also the best small WR of all time.

Lifestyle wise AB puts the Diva in Diva. The money, the fame, the cars, the houses, the women, AB wants it all. And he’s earned it. But he also gets himself in trouble on a Regular Basis. So maybe turn it Down a couple notches. Life in the Fast lane, surely make you lose your mind. (Did I just quote the Eagles? yes.)

Also some guys who earn Millions manage to go broke in 10 years, so be careful AB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Exactly my line of thought. They estimated, and their estimate was kind of reckless... turned this into a story/clicks that "Antonio Brown Got A Speeding Ticket" would not have gotten.

I think your wrong here. He didn’t get a speeding ticket, he got cited for reckless driving. In PA any speeding ticket over 30mph over the limit gets cited as reckless driving. 45 mph zone plus 30 means he was clocked over 75.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:46 pm 

SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I think your wrong here. He didn’t get a speeding ticket, he got cited for reckless driving. In PA any speeding ticket over 30mph over the limit gets cited as reckless driving. 45 mph zone plus 30 means he was clocked over 75.
75 is not "over 100." Besides, who the fuck doesn't know most high speed roadways and highways are designed for speeds 30-40 mph over the speed limit, depending on conditions?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:39 pm 

SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Got it... it was just the "over 100mph" part that I was disputing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
AB is probably the best 6th round draft pick of all time. Also the best small WR of all time.

Lifestyle wise AB puts the Diva in Diva. The money, the fame, the cars, the houses, the women, AB wants it all. And he’s earned it. But he also gets himself in trouble on a Regular Basis. So maybe turn it Down a couple notches. Life in the Fast lane, surely make you lose your mind. (Did I just quote the Eagles? yes.)

Also some guys who earn Millions manage to go broke in 10 years, so be careful AB.

As much as I hate him, there's a fair case to be made that a 6th round pick for the Pats being the best pick ever from that round. HOFer Terrell Davis was also a 6th round pick and he was pretty decent. AB is certainly one of the best...and actually that is regardless of the round if he keeps it up for a few more years.

The rest (including the Eagles quote) is spot on - even if you earn millions, living large can eat the money up in a hurry and can indeed "surely make you lose your mind"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 pm 

Still Lit wrote:

I wonder if you see the irony in your post.

I now see where the corner cutting is done financially to afford a fru fru jeans collection and a cat walker, if that helps. Nobody who understands driving a car for enjoyment would even take one of those things off a rental lot, let alone own one.