It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A closer look at Bell
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:25 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
Just heard a stat driving into work that James has more 20+ yard runs than any other back. I find that amazing...esp with the quicker backs out there with a 2nd gear like the kid from the Chiefs.

Not sure if you're thinking of Tyreek Hill or Kareem Hunt, but most of their splash plays come in the passing game.

Hunt is a monster in the screen game. He had another 50 yarder last weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:29 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I went to a small, single A high school. I remember going to the Merrill Hoge Football Camp the summer before my senior year with two of our team's running backs, and another one of our lineman. They recorded everyone's 40 times at the camp, and I remember being shocked how slow everyone was. I considered both of our running backs to be fairly fast. But, if memory serves, I think one ran a 4.9, and the other ran a high 4.8. I came in at a 5.5, partly because I had never run a 40 before and my technique was terrible, and partly because I was just slow (I killed it on the shuttle run, though!)

There were obviously players from schools all over western PA, big and small. But I don't think anyone ran a time under 4.7. Maybe one or two guys I'm forgetting. But that was definitely the moment I realized just how impressive NFL 40 times can be.
No doubt Bell is fast compared to everyday Jags like us (or at least he was when he last played). However, compared to other NFL players and especially other RBs and Receivers, he is middle of the road from a purely speed perspective.

What has made him special is his ability wait until the D has committed and find the holes they leave. It often seemingly takes forever but once he sees that hole he makes himself small and hits it quickly - in the moment he is speedy but still not fast so once he breaks through the initial LOS he usually gets caught after 10-15 yards. Don't get me wrong, that is an EXTREMELY valuable ability but he's never going to break off 40+ yard runs with any regularity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:31 pm 

If anyone would like to try this at home (or the gym): a 5 second 40 yard dash time is equivalent to running at 16.36 MPH, so go fire up your treadmill. But that's beside the point - in any sprinting event, it's not so much your top end speed that matters, but how fast you can accelerate to your top speed. I'd also argue that acceleration is a more important attribute than top end speed for a running back as well.

Anyway....since we're sharing stories: I was at a baseball camp in Shaler Township back in the mid-1990s. Couldn't have been more than 9 or 10 years old. I remember getting timed in the 40, with the coordinator telling us that pro athetes can do it in under 5 seconds. We were all floored when no one came in under 9 seconds. Clearly his watch was broken :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:41 pm 

stillthere wrote:
Will-the-Shake wrote:
One way to feel old is to look up Darrell Green's actual age and learn that he is 58.

probably runs a 5.0 40 still.

Green ran a 4.43 on his 50th birthday

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 pm 

SP wrote:
955876 wrote:
There are 40 year old men that could get off their couch or office chair and beat Lev Bell in a foot race.

Guy (along with his idiot agent) WAAAAAAY overvalued his “skills”.

His is a contract all parties (except Bell & agent) will be super glad they passed on.

This to me is a classic example of a player trying desperately to get paid for past performance.

Maybe if they are Darrell Green... I don’t think the average person realizes how fast a 4.6 really is.

THIS

I've been playing pickup football for 30 years with guys who ran legit 40s in high school/college... and I'm here to tell you the guy who once ran 4.6 in his glory days and is now 10 years into being a sales guy is pretty much the fastest guy you'll ever see in the park. I've played with (not against) a practice squad guy CB in the NFL; he ran in the 4.3s at his pro day two years later. He was stupid fast compared to even the scary fast guys.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 pm 

TB wrote:
SP wrote:
Maybe if they are Darrell Green... I don’t think the average person realizes how fast a 4.6 really is.

The average male won't come close to a 5.0 40, let alone anything under that.

I ran a 5.42 in street clothes during the combine... at age 54. I feel pretty good about that lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:21 pm 

I can’t get off the couch in 4.6 seconds...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:28 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:

The question is, why the hell would you want to?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm 

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14267808-74/former-nfl-rb-says-leveon-bells-agent-didnt-understand-franchise-tag-rules

Le'Veon Bell's agent didn't understand franchise-tag rules :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:00 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:

I’ve contemplated that many, many times... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:41 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

I’ve contemplated that many, many times... ;)

Best laugh of the day! Excellent posts!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:59 pm 

Not a fan of Cowherd but he has a very interesting take on Bell's agent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:31 pm 

Bell removed all references to the Steelers from his social media profiles today. Fucking drama queen, probably a sign he sits out the season. As it sits today I see 8 potential landing spots for him next year in respect to need and cap space.

Jets
Texans
Ravens
Raiders
Lions
Packers
Colts
Dolphins

Packers and Ravens being unlikely to get into a bidding war for him. Texans and Colts probably best fit for him offensively. He’s done here officially on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:46 pm 

Thank God we’re almost done with this fucking asshole...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm 

Can u imagine what Arrowhead would have done to him in practice years ago??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:52 pm 

Tuesday @ 4 PM the Lev Bell saga will come to an end as well as his Steeler career.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm 

Cowherd nailed it with that Bell’s agent rant. But as a Steelers fan I put it on both Bell and his agent. They turned down 2 contract offers. They over-estimated Bell’s value. They were difficult, while other Steelers were on board and getting their contracts. Bell is the one who hired his agent.

Maybe Bell will get his money next year from another team. Maybe he has enough left in the tank for a few solid years with another team. I don’t hold any grudge against Bell and wish him the best. He was a great RB for the Steelers who could have made things easy by just signing the contract and going on to a potential HOF career. Instead he has lost a year in a short RB shelf life and yes his agent deserves some of the blame.

We should be thanking Bell and his agent. If not for them we might have never found out how good James Conner can be.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:38 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Cowherd nailed it with that Bell’s agent rant. But as a Steelers fan I put it on both Bell and his agent. They turned down 2 contract offers. They over-estimated Bell’s value. They were difficult, while other Steelers were on board and getting their contracts. Bell is the one who hired his agent.

Maybe Bell will get his money next year from another team. Maybe he has enough left in the tank for a few solid years with another team. I don’t hold any grudge against Bell and wish him the best. He was a great RB for the Steelers who could have made things easy by just signing the contract and going on to a potential HOF career. Instead he has lost a year in a short RB shelf life and yes his agent deserves some of the blame.

We should be thanking Bell and his agent. If not for them we might have never found out how good James Conner can be.

My feelings exactly. I don't have any ill-will towards Bell or his agent. I'm just glad that they prevented the Steelers from breaking the bank on signing Bell to an overprice extension.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 pm 

I feel like a moron for wanting us to open up the checkbook for this guy this past offseason.

Good f'n riddance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: