It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A closer look at Bell
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:01 pm 

I dont know if anyone here has the All 22 but I tried to isolate on LB in several games.

There is no argument that he was huge in the blitz pickup and seemed to even dish out punishment.

There were also runs like the Cinci game where he went into beastmode and tossing DBs like Kirkpatrick around.

Plenty of key third down catches where he was clutch.

The one observation...and I may be ridiculously critical....is LB struggled at times to get to the next level when there was no blocking.

What I mean is that he seemed a bit slow and I cant remember a lot of plus 15 yard runs last year.

Could it be an injury? Maybe added muscle? Could the vicious hits to his leg from Reggie Nelson or Vontaze have taken their toll?

If you charted yards per carry by year for a lot of big backs (of course there are always outer layers) there usually is a sharp decline in production.

I know Brandon Jacobs, Eddie George, Rudi Johnson are not apples to apples because LB was faster coming out of college but to play at such a high level after so many touches and years really becomes the exception than the rule (Gore, Adrian P, Curtis Martin)

Anyone saw this last year?

Post subject: Re: A closer look at Bell
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:05 pm 

Bell ran a 4.6 at the combine at 230. I'd guess that even with lost weight, he's no faster than that now, maybe slower, given the injuries and general pounding. That's why no long runs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:12 pm 

There are 40 year old men that could get off their couch or office chair and beat Lev Bell in a foot race.

Guy (along with his idiot agent) WAAAAAAY overvalued his “skills”.

His is a contract all parties (except Bell & agent) will be super glad they passed on.

This to me is a classic example of a player trying desperately to get paid for past performance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 pm 

And then getting replaced by a well chosen 3rd round pick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 pm 

Ice wrote:
Bell ran a 4.6 at the combine at 230. I'd guess that even with lost weight, he's no faster than that now, maybe slower, given the injuries and general pounding. That's why no long runs.

That makes sense..for some reason I thought he was a home run hitter early in his career but except the one run against Miami in the playoffs...I cant seem to recall any.

So maybe the counter argument would be then that he was never that type of player and there is nothing to see here.

Its just that I am caught up in the amount of money he is asking versus if he is still ascending in production. Yards/Carry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm 

I think what makes him special, and by association the offensive line special, is the option reads. You hear all the talk about RPO for QBs, well Bell and the offensive line were doing there own version of RPO, run, peek, option. There is a great video of it that breaks down how they are doing this RPO on the linebackers. Bell had really perfected this approach and was able to wait and peek or feint towards and opening to trick the LB into committing and then go to the daylight. So while you might be running to the 3 hole, they could block in such a way that the 2 and 4 hole are options as well depending on Bell and where the Lb commits.

That is what makes Bell special and unique and of course patient.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I think what makes him special, and by association the offensive line special, is the option reads. You hear all the talk about RPO for QBs, well Bell and the offensive line were doing there own version of RPO, run, peek, option. There is a great video of it that breaks down how they are doing this RPO on the linebackers. Bell had really perfected this approach and was able to wait and peek or feint towards and opening to trick the LB into committing and then go to the daylight. So while you might be running to the 3 hole, they could block in such a way that the 2 and 4 hole are options as well depending on Bell and where the Lb commits.

I remember a couple of years ago where the Pats saw something on film where they were creeping up the LBs up to get him when he was in a dwell state waiting for the Oline to create a path.

That is definitely a spot where maybe Ben could hit a WR on a slant from a RPO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:50 pm 

955876 wrote:
There are 40 year old men that could get off their couch or office chair and beat Lev Bell in a foot race.

His is a contract all parties (except Bell & agent) will be super glad they passed on.

This to me is a classic example of a player trying desperately to get paid for past performance.

Maybe if they are Darrell Green... I don’t think the average person realizes how fast a 4.6 really is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:14 pm 

SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

Maybe if they are Darrell Green... I don’t think the average person realizes how fast a 4.6 really is.

The average male won't come close to a 5.0 40, let alone anything under that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:37 am 

TB wrote:
SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

bold is truth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:46 am 

SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

One way to feel old is to look up Darrell Green's actual age and learn that he is 58.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:14 am 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

One way to feel old is to look up Darrell Green's actual age and learn that he is 58.

probably runs a 5.0 40 still.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:26 am 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

I remember a couple of years ago where the Pats saw something on film where they were creeping up the LBs up to get him when he was in a dwell state waiting for the Oline to create a path.

He was an enigma for a couple years. He was the first ultra-patient back on the scene. There was no immediate answer for him. And until other backs appear on the scene doing what he does, his style will be treated as a novelty. His success was as much a product of his uniqueness as his ability. He's really not that great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:55 am 

7forSteel wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

He was an enigma for a couple years. He was the first ultra-patient back on the scene. There was no immediate answer for him. And until other backs appear on the scene doing what he does, his style will be treated as a novelty. His success was as much a product of his uniqueness as his ability. He's really not that great.

agree with u.. hes good. nothing more. and declining .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:09 am 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

Damn, we're old!

I used to be lightning fast. Fastest guy on any team/grade etc. (me and one other guy who could never beat each other) Man I miss my speed. Then age, then two full knee replacements at age 45, I would probably run the 40 off my couch in about 2mins 30 seconds. :lol:

Getting old sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 am 

Bell never has been, and never will be, a big play RB.
His patience and 4.6 speed prevent him from breaking 25 yard runs.
It's really his only weakness but it's present in his game and always has been.

Conner has a better burst and homerun ablity.
Bell is a better route runner and blocker.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 am 

Just heard a stat driving into work that James has more 20+ yard runs than any other back. I find that amazing...esp with the quicker backs out there with a 2nd gear like the kid from the Chiefs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:18 am 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:
Just heard a stat driving into work that James has more 20+ yard runs than any other back. I find that amazing...esp with the quicker backs out there with a 2nd gear like the kid from the Chiefs.

Not sure if you're thinking of Tyreek Hill or Kareem Hunt, but most of their splash plays come in the passing game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm 

So obviously my statement was a bit of an exaggeration to make a point.

Fact is, Bell is simply not fast. Nor worth what he’s asking.

Not even close.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:46 pm 

TB wrote:
SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

I went to a small, single A high school. I remember going to the Merrill Hoge Football Camp the summer before my senior year with two of our team's running backs, and another one of our lineman. They recorded everyone's 40 times at the camp, and I remember being shocked how slow everyone was. I considered both of our running backs to be fairly fast. But, if memory serves, I think one ran a 4.9, and the other ran a high 4.8. I came in at a 5.5, partly because I had never run a 40 before and my technique was terrible, and partly because I was just slow (I killed it on the shuttle run, though!)

There were obviously players from schools all over western PA, big and small. But I don't think anyone ran a time under 4.7. Maybe one or two guys I'm forgetting. But that was definitely the moment I realized just how impressive NFL 40 times can be.