It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Credit to the Coaches at the midway point?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:21 am 

After watching in disgust and disbelief the second half of the first Baltimore game, I must admit I did not see the team being 5-2-1 four games later. And I’m not a piss and moan type Steelers fan. I don’t take for granted the consistency they’ve shown in being able to right the ship (the regular season ship, at least) under Tomlin. But after the first four games I didn’t see the defense coming around as well as they have - just too many holes for that to happen, was my opinion. And I didn’t like the way an older looking Ben was moving and throwing, the way AB was pouting, and as much as I liked Conner’s story and his attitude, I’d have been hard pressed to imagine him so quickly having transitioned into a pro-bowl caliber player.

Here’s what I’m suggesting: the coaches deserve some credit. That’s not the easiest sell on this board so I realize not all will agree. I am relieved that Todd Haley’s bitch supporters have taken a leave of absence (they were out in force after the first 4 games). Anyone want to compare red zone efficiency this year with last? Defensively, there are still issues, but the tackling and the scheming have been greatly improved. I’m giving credit across the board to the coaches. And the attitude of the team seems a lot better, too. I love the way the players have handled the Bell situation.

There is a long way to go with a difficult schedule. Compare the Steelers schedule with that of Houston or New England, as a warning for getting too carried away. But since that second half at home against Baltimore - the most listless performance from the team in a long, long time - the players and the coaches have done an admirable job of turning it around. Kudos to them.

Post subject: Re: Some Credit to the Coaches at the midway point?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am 

Quote:
It turns out, the guy who is 59 games over .500 in his 11-and-a-half seasons as Steelers coach knows what he’s doing. The Steelers looked bad early in the season, it seemed like another year of drama, and there were fair questions about whether maybe Tomlin’s message had gone stale. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-winners-lo ... 47474.html
An article echoing the OP. I will agree that coaching has made an impact in this teams re-emergence as a contender. Tip of the cap....

Side Note: How does this happen?

Quote:
@Alex_Kozora
Alex Collins' touchdown that made it a one score game. Steelers went to goal line personnel but only had 10 men on the field. Sub issues popping back up again.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1059288590545551362

Quote:
Reverting back to bad habits, the Steelers were called for eight penalties that accounted for 103 yards against the Ravens. The Steelers remain the most penalized team (per game) in the NFL.

Although the Kansas City Chiefs have drawn 76 penalties to the Steelers’ 74, the Chiefs have played one more game. In all, officials have thrown 87 flags against the Steelers through 8 games – 12 have been declined and one has been offsetting.

What concerned Tomlin on Sunday were the trio of pass interference calls against his defense. Morgan Burnett (16 yards), Terrell Edmunds (33) and Coty Sensabaugh (19) were the guilty parties.

These three pass interference calls came on separate drives that led to 13 of the Ravens’ 16 points.

The defense wasn’t the only guilty party in the PI department. Antonio Brown was called for offensive pass interference when he pushed off cornerback Jimmy Smith in the fourth quarter.

Looking for a positive? Special teams accounted for just one of the eight infractions. https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14 ... ver-ravens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
It turns out, the guy who is 59 games over .500 in his 11-and-a-half seasons as Steelers coach knows what he’s doing. The Steelers looked bad early in the season, it seemed like another year of drama, and there were fair questions about whether maybe Tomlin’s message had gone stale. https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-winners-lo ... 47474.html
An article echoing the OP. I will agree that coaching has made an impact in this teams re-emergence as a contender. Tip of the cap....

Quote:
@Alex_Kozora
Alex Collins' touchdown that made it a one score game. Steelers went to goal line personnel but only had 10 men on the field. Sub issues popping back up again.

Quote:
Reverting back to bad habits, the Steelers were called for eight penalties that accounted for 103 yards against the Ravens. The Steelers remain the most penalized team (per game) in the NFL.

Although the Kansas City Chiefs have drawn 76 penalties to the Steelers’ 74, the Chiefs have played one more game. In all, officials have thrown 87 flags against the Steelers through 8 games – 12 have been declined and one has been offsetting.

What concerned Tomlin on Sunday were the trio of pass interference calls against his defense. Morgan Burnett (16 yards), Terrell Edmunds (33) and Coty Sensabaugh (19) were the guilty parties.

These three pass interference calls came on separate drives that led to 13 of the Ravens’ 16 points.

The defense wasn’t the only guilty party in the PI department. Antonio Brown was called for offensive pass interference when he pushed off cornerback Jimmy Smith in the fourth quarter.

Looking for a positive? Special teams accounted for just one of the eight infractions. https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14 ... ver-ravens

IMO, all three of the DPI penalties were very iffy, especially the one on Sensabaugh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:00 pm 

I thought that the one not called on Edmunds was worse than the one that was actually called. Maybe the ref swallowed the whistle since he saw he fucked up the first go round. Who knows anymore with the way Goodell has mucked up the league with his fingerprints.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

Quote:
Some Credit to the Coaches at the midway point?

Yes

Will-the-Shake wrote:
And the attitude of the team seems a lot better, too. I love the way the players have handled the Bell situation.

Agreed

Will-the-Shake wrote:
the players and the coaches have done an admirable job of turning it around. Kudos to them.

Agreed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:11 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
@Alex_Kozora

What is really weird....the Steelers have only 10 men on that play but I only count 10 for the Ravens too!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:16 pm 

Because Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:39 pm 

Alibe wrote:

What is really weird....the Steelers have only 10 men on that play but I only count 10 for the Ravens too!!!!

They guy that scores the td is behind the fullback and cut out of the pic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:41 pm 

This would be on Vince, too. Wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:50 pm 

I’m a piss and moan Stiller fan. Damn proud one.

Any rate, I happened to be watching this game at a party filled with nfc and afc east fans. Plus a lions fan for some reason. I said I didn’t feel that the Steelers were a top tier team. They were practically incredulous. From their perspective the Steelers or tough team every year and even this particular year the general consensus of the room was it’s entirely possible to beat the Chiefs or the Rams or whoever. In fact I would see easily they are stronger believers then we that post on this message board.

To the original pulling yes I have to give much do credit to the coaches. That was my number one concern going into this game. Harbaugh over tomlin. But mike got him this time. Really Steelers win control for about 58 minutes of this game.

I see some speculation Harbaugh might be in trouble. Personally I hope they do Canon because I think he’s a good coach and especially matches up well against us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:36 pm 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
After watching in disgust and disbelief the second half of the first Baltimore game, I must admit I did not see the team being 5-2-1 four games later. And I’m not a piss and moan type Steelers fan. I don’t take for granted the consistency they’ve shown in being able to right the ship (the regular season ship, at least) under Tomlin. But after the first four games I didn’t see the defense coming around as well as they have - just too many holes for that to happen, was my opinion. And I didn’t like the way an older looking Ben was moving and throwing, the way AB was pouting, and as much as I liked Conner’s story and his attitude, I’d have been hard pressed to imagine him so quickly having transitioned into a pro-bowl caliber player.

Here’s what I’m suggesting: the coaches deserve some credit. That’s not the easiest sell on this board so I realize not all will agree. I am relieved that Todd Haley’s bitch supporters have taken a leave of absence (they were out in force after the first 4 games). Anyone want to compare red zone efficiency this year with last? Defensively, there are still issues, but the tackling and the scheming have been greatly improved. I’m giving credit across the board to the coaches. And the attitude of the team seems a lot better, too. I love the way the players have handled the Bell situation.

There is a long way to go with a difficult schedule. Compare the Steelers schedule with that of Houston or New England, as a warning for getting too carried away. But since that second half at home against Baltimore - the most listless performance from the team in a long, long time - the players and the coaches have done an admirable job of turning it around. Kudos to them.

I was going to create a similar thread. Agreed 100%.

Firing Haley was the right call. They are coaching up the D for sure. I think we are probably the best defense right now.

Tomlin is still the second best coach in the NFL. There might be some better coaches upcoming, but with the body of work that is on record he is solidly number 2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 pm 

I want to see how phase 2 of the drama unfolds before I give Aviators credit. I'm still a curmudgeon when it comes to Tomlin and his coaching. We needed a kick-ass replacement corner. I don't care about excuses, we should have moved heaven and earth to get better personnel. But if we had done a better job of assessing talent, we would have let Burnt and/or Scentedballs go in the off season and found replacements.

We should have NOT stayed the course and let things play out like we have for the past half decade. We should have made necessary changes to make sure the team was actually prepared to play before October. Read "Coaching NFL for Dummies" or something. DO SOMETHING!

And none of that even touches on the Bell debacle.

A prepared team would be at least 7-1 at this point. I still put that on Tomlin's inability to take on the general charge of head coach. He simply isn't a complete coach. And what he lacks is the ability to assess the complete team and make changes necessary to move the entire team forward. He stays too close to the fire to see where the sparks are falling. Don't get me wrong, he's not a terrible coach. He's comfortably top 10, imho.

So like I said, I'm reserving judgement until after Bell is returned to the fold.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
I want to see how phase 2 of the drama unfolds before I give Aviators credit. I'm still a curmudgeon when it comes to Tomlin and his coaching. We needed a kick-ass replacement corner. I don't care about excuses, we should have moved heaven and earth to get better personnel. But if we had done a better job of assessing talent, we would have let Burnt and/or Scentedballs go in the off season and found replacements.

We should have NOT stayed the course and let things play out like we have for the past half decade. We should have made necessary changes to make sure the team was actually prepared to play before October. Read "Coaching NFL for Dummies" or something. DO SOMETHING!

And none of that even touches on the Bell debacle.

A prepared team would be at least 7-1 at this point. I still put that on Tomlin's inability to take on the general charge of head coach. He simply isn't a complete coach. And what he lacks is the ability to assess the complete team and make changes necessary to move the entire team forward. He stays too close to the fire to see where the sparks are falling. Don't get me wrong, he's not a terrible coach. He's comfortably top 10, imho.

So like I said, I'm reserving judgement until after Bell is returned to the fold.

This thread of recognition is about all MT gets. You might as well just add phase 4, as none of us will be happy until we play in Feb.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
To the original pulling yes I have to give much do credit to the coaches. That was my number one concern going into this game. Harbaugh over tomlin. But mike got him this time. Really Steelers win control for about 58 minutes of this game.

Not only did I not think that Harbaugh outcoached Tomlin this game, but I felt like Harbaugh was doing dumb stuff. Like all those Lamar Jackson trickeration plays that went nowhere and questionable time management.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

Not only did I not think that Harbaugh outcoached Tomlin this game, but I felt like Harbaugh was doing dumb stuff. Like all those Lamar Jackson trickeration plays that went nowhere and questionable time management.

Good points.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

All those Lamar Jackson trickeration should’ve worked at least once when Flacco didn’t even look at a wide open Jackson instead throwing into triple coverage. If you believe peter king, he may have even deliberately ignored him.
Anyway, I’d like to heap some credit on the coaches for the recent winning streak but for me it was more of a feeling of relief. Relief that the Steelers are at their customary spot a top of the division. Improvement was as predictable as a loss to the Patriots. Overcome that obstacle I’ll give some credit. In the meantime ill yawn at another win over the Ravens thanks in part to my first ever dose of cough syrup with codeine. Martavis sucks but he has excellent taste in drugs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:02 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
All those Lamar Jackson trickeration should’ve worked at least once when Flacco didn’t even look at a wide open Jackson instead throwing into triple coverage. If you believe peter king, he may have even deliberately ignored him.

Whoa, what's the story there?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

I like some of the things they do with L. Jackson and I like the way they are getting him involved but I think putting him in the game pretty much every red zone play and leaving Flacco on the field eliminates so much of what could be done with the skill set that is introduced. Why even have someone cover Flacco from the 15 are they going to pass the ball to the 20 million dollar QB? Are they going to run to the side of the field he is lined up on? I don't think either of those things are happening. Instead of making the QB just read half the field they are cutting the field in half for the defense. If Joe is lined up wide to the right then the action will be to the left. Just replace Flacco and open up all 53 yards wide of the field.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
SteelDrama wrote:

Whoa, what's the story there?

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/late-for-work-8-14-peter-king-joe-flacco-wants-to-keep-lamar-jackson-on-the-benc

Quote:
Peter King: Joe Flacco Wants to Keep Lamar Jackson on the Bench

Ever since the Ravens drafted Lamar Jackson, there’s been a narrative that many in the media have theorized will play out: Joe Flacco will be the starter this season, but Jackson will start as soon as next year. Essentially, that Flacco is the quarterback of the present, and Jackson is the quarterback of the future.

NBC Sports' Peter King doesn’t think that’s how Flacco sees it happening.

During an interview on NFL Network’s “The Rich Eisen Show,” King dives into what he believes is Flacco’s current mindset. In King’s opinion, Flacco doesn’t have plans to leave Baltimore anytime soon.

“He’s supremely motivated to say, ‘You draft a quarterback No. 1? I’m going to make him sit for the next five years,’” King said.

Quote:
“It's possible to isolate players from their surroundings and their opponents, and it only takes two eyeballs to see Flacco looks better,” Rosenthal wrote.

Flacco making way for Jackson to start next year has been viewed as a great scenario for the Ravens – Flacco gives Baltimore the best chance to win this season, and Jackson looks like he could use a season on the sidelines before becoming a starter.

Financially, however, the best scenario for Baltimore is Flacco playing at a high level and staying until his contract is up. According to Spotrac, Flacco is set to count $26.5 million against the salary cap next season (a slight increase from $25.75 million this season). Not bringing the then 34-year-old back for the 2019 season would save $10.5 million, but cutting ties with Flacco would also create a $16 million salary cap hit.

That would be a tremendous amount of money for one season, and a sizable sum if it was spaced out over two years, on a player that wouldn’t be playing for Baltimore. If Flacco’s encouraging play continues through this season, why move on from him and take a massive hit against your salary cap?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:59 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
Anyway, I’d like to heap some credit on the coaches for the recent winning streak but for me it was more of a feeling of relief. Relief that the Steelers are at their customary spot a top of the division. Improvement was as predictable as a loss to the Patriots. Overcome that obstacle I’ll give some credit.

Same.

I don't give a shit until Mike Tomlin shows more in the playoffs than getting the sandpaper condom treatment from Belichick.

The Chiefs would be super scary if somebody took the headset away from Andy with two minutes left.