It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Play of the Game: Dobbs --> Juju
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:27 am 

The Dobb’s pass was on third down! It was 3rd and about 21. JuJu gained 22 yards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:02 am 

My bad! It was 2nd down and 20. Never mind!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:23 am 

Alibe wrote:
My bad! It was 2nd down and 20. Never mind!

Albie Oxenreiter posts here?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 am 

I don't think the pressure was on Dobbs because I don't think he had time to think about the pressure or magnitude of the situation. It is sometimes easier to be forced into action suddenly than to have time to think about it. Had Ben been injured for real just before halftime you may get a totally different level of play from Dobbs since he would have had 20 minutes to ponder what was going on instead of just being sent out there with a play that he now has to make sure everyone is lined up remember the count and make some pre-snap reads. He did not have time to let anxiety set in he had 3 things to do before the snap and 2 things to do after the snap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:03 pm 

Quote:
The way these things work on the Steelers sideline is that Mike Tomlin charts the course for the general strategy – conservative or aggressive – and then the offensive or defensive play-caller takes it from there. Informed that the idea was to be aggressive, Fichtner asked Dobbs if he felt like throwing the ball down the field some.

The bolded still concerns me going forward.

https://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on-the-win-over-the-ravens

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:59 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Why's everyone so surprised that up 7 points, 2nd & 20 at our own 5, 4Q...we're throwing the ball? Regardless of who's under center?

agree! lol. . I thought dobbs would hand off to Conner and punt coming. noway in hell did I think dobbs was going for it!!! huge huge play on that win. great pass by dobbs coming into game ice cold and in hostile place when crowd was bloodthirsty! awesome. can u imagine the tomlin rage if hobbs threw a pic 6? gutsy pass!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:57 am 

bam morris wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Why's everyone so surprised that up 7 points, 2nd & 20 at our own 5, 4Q...we're throwing the ball? Regardless of who's under center?

agree! lol. . I thought dobbs would hand off to Conner and punt coming. noway in hell did I think dobbs was going for it!!! huge huge play on that win. great pass by dobbs coming into game ice cold and in hostile place when crowd was bloodthirsty! awesome. can u imagine the tomlin rage if hobbs threw a pic 6? gutsy pass!

wait a second Bam -- you said you "agree!" with Swiss, but then you go on and explain how totally shocked you were that Dobbs actually THREW the ball and didn't just hand it off, as EVERYONE expected him to do.

But Swiss did NOT say that --- he is saying that NO ONE should be surprised that we executed a pass play in these circumstances. He believes that it was NOT a shocking, unexpected play call.

So, you should have started by saying DISAGREE!, not "agree!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:09 am 

steel wrote:
bam morris wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

wait a second Bam -- you said you "agree!" with Swiss, but then you go on and explain how totally shocked you were that Dobbs actually THREW the ball and didn't just hand it off, as EVERYONE expected him to do.

But Swiss did NOT say that --- he is saying that NO ONE should be surprised that we executed a pass play in these circumstances. He believes that it was NOT a shocking, unexpected play call.

So, you should have started by saying DISAGREE!, not "agree!"

STOP!
He who would cross the Bridge of Death
Must answer me
These questions three
Ere the other side he see.

Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper...I am not afraid...

WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

bam morris

WHAT IS YOUR POSITION?

agree! lol. .

...wait...what?...

NO!

DISAGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:35 pm 

Whether you somehow knew they were going to throw, or thought they were going to run....Dobbs made a great throw, on time, with all the pressure of being a backup in that situation.
That is a simple fact.
Add to that it was the biggest throw of his life...and it changed the flow of the game. I doubt Landry would have made that throw, but thankfully, we'll never know!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:43 pm 

I sorta thought Swiss was being sarcastic! :? either way one clutch throw. mo was switching and dobbs put a dagger in that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm 

Let's pump the brakes a little on this "great" play. Yes he came in cold and completed a pass. But it was nothing more than what a competent NFL QB is expected to do. A simple pitch and catch with an open receiver.

I have heard this throw referred to as a laser or a frozen rope. I do not agree. Based on the views of it that I have seen, it looks like it flutters a bit as it approaches JuJu.

All that said, I am certainly happy that he was able to come in and get it done. Being successful in that situation (a critical in-division game in a hostile environment, deep in your end and behind the sticks) shows that the NFL game is not too big for him. It eased my fears of having him as the back-up QB instead of ole Laundry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 pm 

stealin wrote:
Let's pump the brakes a little on this "great" play. Yes he came in cold and completed a pass. But it was nothing more than what a competent NFL QB is expected to do. A simple pitch and catch with an open receiver.

I have heard this throw referred to as a laser or a frozen rope. I do not agree. Based on the views of it that I have seen, it looks like it flutters a bit as it approaches JuJu.

All that said, I am certainly happy that he was able to come in and get it done. Being successful in that situation (a critical in-division game in a hostile environment, deep in your end and behind the sticks) shows that the NFL game is not too big for him. It eased my fears of having him as the back-up QB instead of ole Laundry.

Oh come on now. He chucked that pigskin over them there mountains.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:26 am 

7forSteel wrote:
STOP!
He who would cross the Bridge of Death
Must answer me
These questions three
Ere the other side he see.

Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper...I am not afraid...

WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

bam morris

WHAT IS YOUR POSITION?

agree! lol. .

...wait...what?...

NO!

DISAGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Gotta love a Monty Python reference.