It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No PP for Pit
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
What’s more likely to happen is the Steelers will do NOTHING before the trade deadline because they probably think they are fine at the position.

"We trust in the process because the process has proven to be bulletproof and successful for us"

"We talk with other teams every day and explore any deal that we think could make our team better."

When is the last time the Steelers traded a high pick for someone substantial?
Furthermore when is the last time they traded for someone during the regular season?

They don't do it because they are risk-adverse...to their own detriment

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
"We trust in the process because the process has proven to be bulletproof and successful for us"

"We talk with other teams every day and explore any deal that we think could make our team better."

When is the last time the Steelers traded a high pick for someone substantial?
Furthermore when is the last time they traded for someone during the regular season?

They don't do it because they are risk-adverse...to their own detriment

Exactly, once the train is moving (as they say), there's little chance of them stopping and letting someone new on; it's not how the operate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:43 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Self-scouting. I think their personnel department is thoroughly familiar with the fact that they have not had much success in drafting CB and they can all see what Artie is putting on tape.

Also, the NFL landscape regarding trades has totally changed and, even at the glacial pace of the Steelers, they might have had enough time to turn the boat.

Sure, it's optimistic but I don't think the price is too high, is what I'm saying.

Fair enough...
But bottom line, I think we all realize that the Steelers aren’t making that deal.

I didn't think they'd go for Joe Haden, either.

Totally different scenario. Haden had been released...they didn’t need to trade draft picks, which they value more than life itself, and players, and didn’t have to get in to a bidding war for his services. Haden had pretty much made it known that he wanted to play in a Pittsburgh. All they had to do was make him a “fair” offer.
I guess it’s fun to talk about trades and big time free agents, and dream about how they would improve the roster and title chances. But realistically, these are the Rooney Steelers...not only do they do what they do, the also don’t do what they don’t do...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:37 pm 

Jerome Bettis is a much better example.

We traded a 2nd and a 4th for Bettis and a 3rd. While the price tag for Peterson is higher, the principle is the same.

And there are a lot of teams who'd never traded during the season who have done so now... the rules were specifically changed to make it more attractive for teams to do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:16 pm 

Bears had one of the best defenses in the league and NE shredded them.

I agree with B2B about the state of the 2018 NFL and the meaning of “defense”. We’ve been talking about this since last February; Tom Brady threw for 500+ yards in a SB and lost.

That said, there is still room in this league for defensive playmakers. PP is that kind of player. Our defense lacks this, IMO, especially in the secondary. He’d be a great addition.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:40 pm 

Brady and Co put up 24... not exactly a shredding these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:14 pm 

The Steelers operate in a league where there is a cap. They are protected in a sense because their competitors can not spend significantly more than the other guy. Most teams spend to that cap, at least there aren’t huge gaps like they exist in MLB.

Yet the Steelers are milk toast pussies.who don’t get out of the box in order to win.

If the Steelers operated in an uncapped league they would be worse than the Bucs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Still damn good against a top defense with Gronk and Michal (partially) out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Still damn good against a top defense with Gronk and Michal (partially) out.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm 

Ice wrote:

I'd argue that you can never have enough cost-controlled young talent on a team, particularly considering the "unfulfilled potential" puddle on a guy like Artie Burns is drying up pretty fast. Conley still has some, and is a better fit for what this team is trying to do at CB, from a skills demonstrated standpoint.

I'd also say that somebody like Karl Joseph, for the right price, or Haason Reddick, for the right price, would be an upgrade over the special teams at best potential of the backups at their positions, as well. You see "unfulfilled potential," I see Coty Sensabaugh, Golden and Matakevich. I've seen all I need to to evaluate their "unfulfilled potential."

A rent-a-corner like Peterson is help for the present, but addressing the fact that the bottom end of the roster is trash could help present and future, particularly if you've got teams like the Cards and Raiders ready to give guys away for pennies on the draft dollar.

Agree with all this^

Side Note:

Quote:
@FieldYates
The Raiders have waived S Obi Melifonwu off of injured reserve, per source. Another former highly-drafted player done in Oakland. https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1 ... 7567545346

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:06 pm 

Quote:
Jason La Canfora

Verified account

@JasonLaCanfora
Following Following @JasonLaCanfora
More
Teams sniffing around on Janoris Jenkins and Gareon Conley. The corner market is hot ahead of the deadline. PHI, NE, PIT among those exploring multiple options

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Jason La Canfora

Verified account

@JasonLaCanfora
More
Teams sniffing around on Janoris Jenkins and Gareon Conley. The corner market is hot ahead of the deadline. PHI, NE, PIT among those exploring multiple options

Excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 pm 

I was so high on Allen on being a solid corner. Thinking he would be a Kam Chancellor type of DB. Then he gets cut and not picked up by anyone after a slow training camp.
How bad could he be versus Artie right now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:38 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Jason La Canfora

Verified account

@JasonLaCanfora
More

No disrespect Greek. As much as I'd love to believe this I'm considering the source and hoping it unfolds as LaCanFabricate states... we all know how LaCanFabricate operates... ↓