It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pretty amazing Landry Jones can’t get a job...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Laundry is trying out for teams... he just sucks, is all.

This. Laundry is and always was hot garbage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:45 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Scunge wrote:
I don't think it is odd at all that Laundry Jones can't find a job. He simply was never a legitimate #2 QB.

No, I don't think he is better than Peterman. I don't think he is even better than most of the #3 QBs on rosters across the NFL.

Also, from what I understand, Jones and his wife Whitney have a house in Mt. Lebanon here in Pittsburgh, she works as a teacher/coach at Seton La Salle HS?? So, was she supposed to just quit her job, they were supposed to sell the house and just leave Pittsburgh for some backup job in Buffalo, or Cleveland or Arizona?? A backup QB could jump from team to team to team, year after year year.

I think his NFL career is done. I don't think he wants to upend his family and ask his wife to put her life and career on hold.

Also, Jones and how he was drafted was really sort of ass backwards to me. They draft a guy that got married to Whitney Hand the year before. Whitney Hand and Ben's sister are best friends forever and played college basketball together. Was Ben at the wedding too? Did Ben know Landry Jones? Did Ben go to Steeler management and plead his case for drafting Jones??

Ben has an ego but he really does not like having a real prospect at backup. Jones was too nice, too mild-mannered and had no potential whatsoever in taking his starting job. So, Ben felt he was the perfect backup QB!

But then Ben started his maybe I will retire shit and then the Steelers said enough is enough. Then they start doing their due diligence and start scouting and going to QB pro days. They draft Dobbs, then they draft Rudolph. Ben is miffed with both selections, of course he is.

The minute they drafted Rudolph, I knew Jones didn't have a chance in hell of making this team. I said it at the time, repeated it all summer and it happened. Was not a surprise to me, just as it is not a surprise to me that he is currently not on an NFL roster.

C’mon man...that’s some serious spinning.

Fuck that noise. Spinning. Us it. Scunges post is probably the closest to spot on than any other.

Right...Roethlisberger went to the FO and told them to draft Jones because he was a friend and doesn’t want any threat of competition....and they obliged?
Do you really believe that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 pm 

Actually, I saw Jones a bit differently than most of you. I honestly think he could be a good above average QB. He had the smarts and apparently could decipher the defense quite well. What held him back was the play calling. If you thought Tomlin and Haley called conservative games with Ben, holy hell did they go conservative with Jones. The play calling when Jones was in was high school level at best. How the hell can a QB develop and show what he can do if you don't push his envelope to see. Now, take the apparent anomaly of the Arizona game a few years back when Ben went down and he led the Steelers back with an extremely impressive performance. Why did he look so damn good? Because they were losing so they had to open up the playbook and play aggressive offensive football to try and win it, and he responded. The following week, they returned to the run, run, pass, then punt conservative bullshit. They tried to do as little as possible and still pull the win out, and he again looked like shit. They put his mind in a tight spot to not lose the game so he played tight as hell!

Dobbs hadn't done anything either, but this year during preseason, they cut him loose (plus he had a lot to prove), and he performed. If Ben goes down and Dobbs comes in, you will see the same damn vanilla play calling you saw with Jones. Dobbs will just be Jones 2.0 - totally unimpressive!!!

Yes Gents, it was Tomlin's philosophy that made Jones look like total shit and I bet it will make Dobb's or Rudolph look like total shit as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Actually, I saw Jones a bit differently than most of you. I honestly think he could be a good above average QB. He had the smarts and apparently could decipher the defense quite well. What held him back was the play calling. If you thought Tomlin and Haley called conservative games with Ben, holy hell did they go conservative with Jones. The play calling when Jones was in was high school level at best. How the hell can a QB develop and show what he can do if you don't push his envelope to see. Now, take the apparent anomaly of the Arizona game a few years back when Ben went down and he led the Steelers back with an extremely impressive performance. Why did he look so damn good? Because they were losing so they had to open up the playbook and play aggressive offensive football to try and win it, and he responded. The following week, they returned to the run, run, pass, then punt conservative bullshit. They tried to do as little as possible and still pull the win out, and he again looked like shit. They put his mind in a tight spot to not lose the game so he played tight as hell!

Dobbs hadn't done anything either, but this year during preseason, they cut him loose (plus he had a lot to prove), and he performed. If Ben goes down and Dobbs comes in, you will see the same damn vanilla play calling you saw with Jones. Dobbs will just be Jones 2.0 - totally unimpressive!!!

Yes Gents, it was Tomlin's philosophy that made Jones look like total shit and I bet it will make Dobb's or Rudolph look like total shit as well.

Did you miss 2010?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 pm 

alancac98 wrote:

I guess we're in the minority. I agree with this assessment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 pm 

Landry will go down in history as the only Steeler backup QB who was not more popular than the starter. Since Bradshaw we have always rooted for the backup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:25 am 

jewelsongs wrote:
Landry will go down in history as the only Steeler backup QB who was not more popular than the starter. Since Bradshaw we have always rooted for the backup.

^^THIS^^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

While you may make valid points about Jones. One thing Dobbs can do that Jones absolutely cannot do is win matchups with his legs. Jones tripped over himself at a rather high clip. Dobbs in this preseason kept his head downfield and made plays while extending plays with his legs. Even if it is the coaches fault for limiting the ceiling of Jones he was never gonna break a play down and get a cheap first down scrambling. If we have to deal with the coaches limiting the back up QB with terrible play calls I personally will take the guy that can break down a D running and throwing instead of the the statue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:41 am 

7forSteel wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

^^THIS^^

Please. You do not even remember Cliff Stout or Mark Malone. They were never more popular than Bradshaw. Batch, Leftwich and Vick were never more popular than Big Ben.

Unless there was very poor QB play, the backups were never even noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:07 am 

jebrick wrote:
7forSteel wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:

^^THIS^^

Please. You do not even remember Cliff Stout or Mark Malone. They were never more popular than Bradshaw. Batch, Leftwich and Vick were never more popular than Big Ben.

Unless there was very poor QB play, the backups were never even noticed.

I remember Bill Nelson, Kent Nix and Dick Shiner! Trust me, people wanted Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam over Bradshaw. Once we won 4 Super Bowls, Terry became accepted here. When Stout started, we wanted Malone. When Malone started, we wanted Bubby. For Bubby, O'Donnell. For O'Donnell, Slash. For Slash, Maddox. Ben became a hero here in his rookie year, so no one is clamoring for his replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:21 am 

stillthere wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

While you may make valid points about Jones. One thing Dobbs can do that Jones absolutely cannot do is win matchups with his legs. Jones tripped over himself at a rather high clip. Dobbs in this preseason kept his head downfield and made plays while extending plays with his legs. Even if it is the coaches fault for limiting the ceiling of Jones he was never gonna break a play down and get a cheap first down scrambling. If we have to deal with the coaches limiting the back up QB with terrible play calls I personally will take the guy that can break down a D running and throwing instead of the the statue.

I can agree with Dobb's ability to extend the plays via scrambling. I'm just saying that the offensive philosophy and play design made him look like horseshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:46 am 

Said it once or five times. Jones was a company guy; does/ did what he was told. Scrambling with the threat of being hurt, putting in your third string isn't prudent. Even Vick barely scrambled. Last year the board seemed to have concensus that Dobbs, as a #3, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Jones was always treated as a vanilla insurance/ game manager measure in case BR went down. Biggest concerns were "don't get hurt and don't throw interceptions or fumble." Today is different as there are legitimately two #2's. Dobbs goes down and I'm almost as confident with Rudolph.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:26 pm 

I hear that the Bronco's need another back-up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:42 pm 

That Chad Kelly situation is interesting...it sure looks like Ambien or something similar...