It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers in 1st place, AFC North
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:45 am 

All things considered, I thought this deserved a thread.

Steelers 3-2-1 .583
Bengals 4-3 .571
Ravens 4-3 .571
Browns 2-4-1 .357

Post subject: Re: Steelers in 1st place, AFC North
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:37 am 

When they where 1-2-1, I figured that in a few weeks they'd be back on top. It's typical of the Steelers to be woefully unprepared and look like total shit at the start of the season, then be under pressure to make a run and rebound.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 am 

Nick79 wrote:
When they where 1-2-1, I figured that in a few weeks they'd be back on top. It's typical of the Steelers to be woefully unprepared and look like total shit at the start of the season, then be under pressure to make a run and rebound.

And then when the playoffs starts and the real coaching begins, then they go back to looking unprepared.

You can set your clock to it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 am 

I guess the best results happen when we don't play.. lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:40 am 

the-other-burg wrote:
I guess the best results happen when we don't play.. lol
We should have more bye weeks then. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 am 

Best bye week ever

“Winning! “ - Charlie Sheen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 am 

Take the next two games and I’ll be impressed with the coaching staff for getting the team to rebound nicely. To be honest I wasn’t sure it was possible with the fragility of the secondary, the shitshow at ILB, and an erratic offense led by an erratic Ben. Browns at home they should take, no excuses, I don’t care what the weather is on Sunday. But getting the win in Baltimore will require the full package: gameplan and execution. The second half display of football in the first game against the Ravens was nothing short of atrocious, and the Ravens defense is for real. Great that Tucker missed that extra point yesterday. That loss could come in very handy assuming Steelers keep the momentum going.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 am 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
Take the next two games and I’ll be impressed with the coaching staff for getting the team to rebound nicely. To be honest I wasn’t sure it was possible with the fragility of the secondary, the shitshow at ILB, and an erratic offense led by an erratic Ben. Browns at home they should take, no excuses, I don’t care what the weather is on Sunday. But getting the win in Baltimore will require the full package: gameplan and execution. The second half display of football in the first game against the Ravens was nothing short of atrocious, and the Ravens defense is for real. Great that Tucker missed that extra point yesterday. That loss could come in very handy assuming Steelers keep the momentum going.

Let’s play Cleveland at Pitt first....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:42 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

And then when the playoffs starts and the real coaching begins, then they go back to looking unprepared.

Exactly, when the division is clinched, Josh Dobbs will start the final game and then have a bye week. Ben will be rusty, and there we go again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am 

Ravens are the best team in the division. I have little doubt they win it this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm 

R S wrote:
Ravens are the best team in the division. I have little doubt they win it this year.

Maybe, maybe not. November 4th in Baltimore will be a huge game. If the Steelers can patch the defense enough to win that game, it will go a long way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:22 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
R S wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. November 4th in Baltimore will be a huge game. If the Steelers can patch the defense enough to win that game, it will go a long way.

By “patch” you mean what? This D is terribly disappointing. D line as a unit not performing to expectations. Watt good. Dupree is Dupree. VW not playing well. Bostc ok but huge liability in coverage.

Back end sucks. Haden and Hilton are the bright spots. Everyone else is a JAG.

Did we trade for Peterson yet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
R S wrote:

I can see the ravens losing at least two, maybe three more games if teams continue to play like they are : Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers. Bengals might wake up and take an away game.

But yeah. A win at Balt will make or break an afc north title, it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
R S wrote:

By “patch” you mean what? This D is terribly disappointing. D line as a unit not performing to expectations. Watt good. Dupree is Dupree. VW not playing well. Bostc ok but huge liability in coverage.

Back end sucks. Haden and Hilton are the bright spots. Everyone else is a JAG.

Did we trade for Peterson yet?

Obviously, what I mean is getting the defense and especially the secondary to play better.

Look, the last 3 games opponents have scored 14, 17, and 21 points, that’s an improvement. The defense is unreliable, but there is some hope for improvement.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I would be working Brian Allen in. He’s been around 2 years and he needs to be tested.

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:29 pm 

Duplicate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
R S wrote:

I can see the ravens losing at least two, maybe three more games if teams continue to play like they are : Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers. Bengals might wake up and take an away game.

But yeah. A win at Balt will make or break an afc north title, it seems.

Ravens have a tough matchup at Carolina next weekend as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:37 pm 

To op:
Boy that escalated quickly

Like Peezy once said, restoring order in the division

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm 

I feel like we're just beginning to form some sort of identity. I think the next few games will go a long way to solidifying that. Are we going to be the team that wins the games we're supposed to win (unlikely, based on track record over the past few years) or the team that squanders opportunities?

Our offense, when mistake free, is effective as any in the league. And yes, I'm including the Chiefs and Rams. The most glaring weakness our offense has is inconsistency.

Our defense cannot be patched or tweaked or massaged into improvement. Only roster changes will facilitate an upward swing in performance. And without that,IF we make it to the playoffs, we're going to end up seeing the Ravens or Chargers in the wild card. I don't see us getting past either with the current cast of characters. But if we somehow pull off a miracle, the next week we get either the Pats or Chiefs. Game over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:43 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

Exactly, when the division is clinched, Josh Dobbs will start the final game and then have a bye week. Ben will be rusty, and there we go again.

So you've seen this movie before?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:28 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

So you've seen this movie before?

Groundhog Day

An official "Greatest American Hero" alarm clock begins ringing at 8:00 am and Ben Roethlisberger wakes up and realizes he is going to be late for practice. He initially panics but then remembers it is his veteran's day off. He eats some oatmeal and half a grapefruit. He practices Freebird on his "steel" guitar autographed by Eddie Vedder. He takes a dip in the pool. He breaks his high score on his TRON Legacy pinball machine. He orders chinese food to be delivered for lunch and works on his autobiography, "Big Ben Strikes Back". After lunch, and the 30 minute waiting period for digestion, swims 10 laps in his endless pool. As evening sets in, he sits down for some film study. He disects Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure until dinner time and calls teammate Antonio Brown to see if they can have pizza in Brown's tree house. Brown sounds distracted and says something about not having any furniture in the tree house to sit on. Ben rummages through his double wide, Sub-Zero refrigerator and pulls out some indistinguishable left overs in a plastic container left by his 32 year old neighbor who spends way too much time in a flimsy, sheer bath robe while pruning her hedges that face the front of Roethlisberger's home. A short time later, the Steelers' qb is napping on the couch with Sports Center playing in the background on a 82" Ultra 4k OLED television recessed into the wall above the fireplace. Around 11:45pm he wakes to the tuggings of mother nature and relieves himself before heading to bed. Just before midnight, he thinks to himself that tomorrow will be the day that he puts in the effort necessary to finally make the necessary connection with his receivers to get the offense on track. He falls asleep. An official "Greatest American Hero" alarm clock begins ringing at 8:00 am and Ben Roethlisberger wakes up and realizes he is going to be late for practice. He initially panics...