It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers excited about a Conner/Bell RB duo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm 

Possibly, but it's not only the opposing defense that would have to adjust. Our OL would have to adjust. I'm thinking if our OL can adjust, so can a defense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:27 pm 

I really don’t want Bell back at all. And I was a fan until this off-season. Please just stay in Florida. Bell and his agent had their chances to sign a contract. They passed.

It took Bell 4 games last season to get up to speed and fit. Do we actually expect him to come in and play well? Is he even in shape. Fuck all the drama. I’m so done with Le’Veon Bell.

Conner continues to be great. But the Steelers have barely given Ridley and Samuels a chance and Both those guys can play. My point is Conner is a very good starter. Use Ridley and Samuels to lighten the load. Let Bell go to a different team.

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 pm 

Whatever is wrong with this offense, it isn’t the #1 running back position. Conner is getting it done, probably better than Bell ever has, almost certainly better than Bell could now. Bell is a fix for something that ain’t broke.

A lot is wrong with this team that could be addressed with the money we are planning to throw at Bell.

Move Bell. One way or the other. And use the savings on a top corner and/or an inside linebacker. Do that and we may be back in the Superbowl race.

Spend the week off working with Samuels and Washington. One or both of them may be part of the future. If not, let’s find out now rather than later.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm 

Quixotic wrote:
Whatever is wrong with this offense, it isn’t the #1 running back position. Conner is getting it done, probably better than Bell ever has, almost certainly better than Bell could now. Bell is a fix for something that ain’t broke.

A lot is wrong with this team that could be addressed with the money we are planning to throw at Bell.

Move Bell. One way or the other. And use the savings on a top corner and/or an inside linebacker. Do that and we may be back in the Superbowl race.

Spend the week off working with Samuels and Washington. One or both of them may be part of the future. If not, let’s find out now rather than later.

Not directed at you personally, Quixotic, but I keep seeing this plan mentioned by other posters. Don't the players actually have most of the week off. Many of them may not even be in town, no? Of course, my hope would be that the whole team is practicing ever minute they can.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Quixotic wrote:

Not directed at you personally, Quixotic, but I keep seeing this plan mentioned by other posters. Don't the players actually have most of the week off. Many of them may not even be in town, no? Of course, my hope would be that the whole team is practicing ever minute they can.

Dunno. You could be right. Either way, the main point is that Bell does not help us, either in the short term or the long term. And his salary could be used in MUCH more helpful ways.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:12 pm 

Quixotic wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Quixotic wrote:

Dunno. You could be right. Either way, the main point is that Bell does not help us, either in the short term or the long term. And his salary could be used in MUCH more helpful ways.

Yep, 100% agree with everything you said.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
I really don’t want Bell back at all. And I was a fan until this off-season. Please just stay in Florida. Bell and his agent had their chances to sign a contract. They passed.

It took Bell 4 games last season to get up to speed and fit. Do we actually expect him to come in and play well? Is he even in shape. Fuck all the drama. I’m so done with Le’Veon Bell.

Conner continues to be great. But the Steelers have barely given Ridley and Samuels a chance and Both those guys can play. My point is Conner is a very good starter. Use Ridley and Samuels to lighten the load. Let Bell go to a different team.

Ridley's been getting carries. He's not exactly setting the world on fire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:58 pm 

For what its worth, Ben says he doesn't want Bell back as a WR.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:02 am 

Steelergenie wrote:

Ben says a lot of things. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:00 pm 

Can the Steelers seriously trust Bell to play 100%? Can they really trust Bell to have their best interests in mind? Winning a Championship?! Let me spell it out, Bell isn't trustworthy. His word means jackshit and the dude is just a complete distraction. I would feel better about this Bell situation if he was just cut or traded. Addition by subtraction.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:03 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
Makes sense. He doesn't want another narcissist whining and complaining after every snap that they wanted the ball and "chose a play to give me the ball!"

Oh wait. Bell doesn't want the ball. Or he does, when he doesn't after 6, no, 8, no, 10 games per season. Or if he gets paid enough because he's got dollar signs for pupils.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:04 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Can the Steelers seriously trust Bell to play 100%? Can they really trust Bell to have their best interests in mind? Winning a Championship?! Let me spell it out, Bell isn't trustworthy. His word means jackshit and the dude is just a complete distraction. I would feel better about this Bell situation if he was just cut or traded. Addition by subtraction.

PREACH!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:56 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:

This is where I'm at as well. Although I completely by in to the addition by subtraction mantra, I keep holding out hope that I'll wake up one of these days to him being traded for a defensive stud or a high draft choice. The push is, that's not going to happen. Bell isn't showing up until after the trade deadline because he knows at this point, they'd likely trade him for whatever the fuck they could get. Bell has soured for me. I'm in the fuck him camp. I'll still root for him if he does return to help us win a championship but at this point I hope even more that they win the whole fucking thing in spite of him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:05 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:

Ridley's been getting carries. He's not exactly setting the world on fire.

Ridley has 10 carries for 30 yards over 5 games. That’s not enough to judge him by. Ridley is a vet and he’s the quickest RB we have. He can play. I also think Samuels can perform if given the chance. Conner has been very good obviously.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:11 pm 

Art ll just said he wants Bell back, no trades. Deuce is a Dunce.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:18 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:

Don’t be surprised if they put on the full court press to re-sign him after the season. Don’t go spending that $14.5 mil just yet...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:11 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:

He absolutely did NOT say that.

"I expect him to be a member of the team going forward," Rooney said, in response to a question about trade talks ahead of the Oct. 30 trade deadline. "That's my expectation."

And you can read a lot into that. My take is that he is considering the current climate and making an assumption based on Bell's own perceived value, the interest from the league, the league's determined value, and Pittsburgh's determined value. Basically, he doesn't expect anyone to bring a viable offer to the table.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 pm 

Bell will hold out past the 10/30 no trade date and finish the season with the Steelers. Deuce may then push to try to resign him for 2019. Ouch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pm 

The following items seem clear to me:

1. James Conner is the Steelers starting running back in 2019 and going forward.
2. LeVeon Bell will not be game ready whenever he does sign his franchise tag tender which I am expecting to happen after the 10th game of the season.
3. The Steelers are going to use the two week roster exemption on him whenever he does sign so he can work himself into game shape.

That means you have Levon Bell as a useful NFL player for this team for 4 games this season which are games against Oakland, New England, New Orleans and Cincinnati plus playoffs potentially. I can’t understand any reason why you would pull a productive James Conner out of the starting lineup and interrupt his tenure as the Steelers starting running back to get 4 games out of a player that has no investment in this team past those 4 games.

IMO the smart play here is to let Bell come back to the team for those 4 games as the backup running back to Conner. Let him get a handful of carries to keep him fresh and work him up to game speed in case there is an injury to Conner and you need him and play him in garbage time in the event of a blowout to protect Conner from getting injured. Seems like a win for both the Steelers and Bell. Steelers get a decent backup running back for their new pro bowler at the position and fresh legs down the stretch and Bell doesn’t have to worry about getting injured going into free agency since he’ll be on the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm 

USS Steelerworks wrote:
The following items seem clear to me:

1. James Conner is the Steelers starting running back in 2019 and going forward.
2. LeVeon Bell will not be game ready whenever he does sign his franchise tag tender which I am expecting to happen after the 10th game of the season.
3. The Steelers are going to use the two week roster exemption on him whenever he does sign so he can work himself into game shape.

That means you have Levon Bell as a useful NFL player for this team for 4 games this season which are games against Oakland, New England, New Orleans and Cincinnati plus playoffs potentially. I can’t understand any reason why you would pull a productive James Conner out of the starting lineup and interrupt his tenure as the Steelers starting running back to get 4 games out of a player that has no investment in this team past those 4 games.

IMO the smart play here is to let Bell come back to the team for those 4 games as the backup running back to Conner. Let him get a handful of carries to keep him fresh and work him up to game speed in case there is an injury to Conner and you need him and play him in garbage time in the event of a blowout to protect Conner from getting injured. Seems like a win for both the Steelers and Bell. Steelers get a decent backup running back for their new pro bowler at the position and fresh legs down the stretch and Bell doesn’t have to worry about getting injured going into free agency since he’ll be on the bench.

You can't have it both ways. And I've heard this so many times and it never makes sense. "He'll keep from getting injured if he comes back week 11"

If he gets ONE touch, he's at risk. It wasn't playing the entire season that injured Shazier. It was one play. One time he lowered his head. It wasn't wear and tear. It wasn't playing every defensive snap. It was an isolated incident that could have and should have been avoided.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:34 pm 

I’m not worried about Conner. First of all tomlins latest has engulfed and enveloped James Conner. I’m more worried for Conner. Run dude. You can still run.

Second if bell ever does play again for the Steelers him running roughshod through the pats and chiefs are gonna make everyone forget about jet skis and strippers, and quick.

I think it’s a real guessing game at this point if he ever does show up though. If he sticks to his guns he shouldn’t ever return the season. But if he does accrue a season that means the Steelers can’t franchise tag him again and if things do end up amicable it might mean the Steelers are a little less aggressive about transition tagging him.

What I do know is the Steelers are going to need every ounce of talent that they can muster the clothes the season out and go as far as they can go. And bell can help big time there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm 

Quote:
@AKinkhabwala
Aditi Kinkhabwala Retweeted Andrew Fillipponi
Just had super interesting convo w/ an NFL RB coach. (Not the Steelers’.) Said no one can go from full stop to full speed like Le’Veon. Said he’s NEVER brought down by 1st tackler. And then said...only a handful of lines he can have same success behind. Needs specific blocking https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status ... 9506268160
Truth. Doesn't justify Bell becoming the entitled inconsiderate ass he has. JMO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:07 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
I also think Samuels can perform if given the chance. Conner has been very good obviously.

Have you seen how Saints use Taysom Hill? J Sam has done all of that and more in his college career. I'd love to see 4-5 snaps a game for the kid. Jet sweep, screen pass, little power routes from the slot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
I also think Samuels can perform if given the chance. Conner has been very good obviously.

Have you seen how Saints use Taysom Hill? J Sam has done all of that and more in his college career. I'd love to see 4-5 snaps a game for the kid. Jet sweep, screen pass, little power routes from the slot.

I agree, but I would venture to guess that Hill is even more explosive than Samuels - maybe not by much though. That said, you still have to have a HC and OC that's willing to think like Peyton. Unfortunately for us, Tomlin is the anti-Peyton. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:22 am 

DP39 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:

I agree, but I would venture to guess that Hill is even more explosive than Samuels - maybe not by much though. That said, you still have to have a HC and OC that's willing to think like Peyton. Unfortunately for us, Tomlin is the anti-Peyton. :cry:

Taysom Hill 6015 230 4.46* 1.61 38.5 10'02" 4.37 7.03
Jaylen Samuels 5114 225 4.54 1.63 34.5 10'01" 4.28 6.93

*at altitude

They're pretty similar athletes and similar players. Hill has more experience handling the snap and throwing, obviously; Samuels is a better route-runner and receiver. Point is: you could use that guy creatively and it might serve the offense.