It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Head Coach Ranking - Where's Mikey T?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am 

I still think there are a few times a season (last game containing an example) where Tomlin will throw a challenge because the play was maybe reasonably close and he was going to call a timeout anyway. Actually gets you extra timeout time, and only costs you one, is the way I assume he looks at it. If it's late in the game and he's got one to play with, I don't totally disagree with the strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Snip Snip
Quote:
Stop me if you’ve heard this before …

“Mike Tomlin has to be the WORST coach in the NFL when it comes to wasting his timeouts!”

So more proof that, as often as Steeler fans love to make wide-sweeping declarative statements about Tomlin, the truth is usually much more in the middle than they want to assume.

However, I would argue that — especially with Tomlin’s rotten challenge history of late — incorrect challenges may need to be included in the analysis.

https://triblive.com/sports/columnists/ ... ment-as-we

Interesting article.

I’d be more interested in an analysis of how Tomlin compares in the area of NOT calling timeouts when he should.

Last week would have been a possible example of bad timeout management in that direction had the Bungles not scored so quickly.

But my guess is the data there is very sparse, making a comparative analysis difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:31 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Snip Snip
Quote:

“Mike Tomlin has to be the WORST coach in the NFL when it comes to wasting his timeouts!”

So more proof that, as often as Steeler fans love to make wide-sweeping declarative statements about Tomlin, the truth is usually much more in the middle than they want to assume.

However, I would argue that — especially with Tomlin’s rotten challenge history of late — incorrect challenges may need to be included in the analysis.

Interesting article.

Best line in the article is “At any rate, it appears that the author proved the point he was trying to make, which was no team has burned more timeouts outside of those high leverage areas than the Packers in 2018”

Proof that you can make data say what you want.

If you need to use a timeout on the first drive of every game of the year, and it is effective, then that was a genius use of timeouts.

If you use three timeouts in the 3rd and you win the game, the coach is a genius!

Using a database with timeouts and a time stamp is pretty lame analysis if you ask me.

How about timeout, time stamp, next play’s results. And then what about time of possession and your defense sucking wind because they have been on the field all day, but only allowed 9 points. I would use 3 timeouts before the 2 minute warning if needed.

I get he is talking about high leverage areas of the games, but if you use your timeouts for other things, maybe you don’t get in high leverage areas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Snip Snip
Quote:

Interesting article.

I’d be more interested in an analysis of how Tomlin compares in the area of NOT calling timeouts when he should.

Last week would have been a possible example of bad timeout management in that direction had the Bungles not scored so quickly.

But my guess is the data there is very sparse, making a comparative analysis difficult.

Every fanbase bitches about the use of timeouts and the challenges, so Tomlin isn't any better/worse amongst his coaching peers. Not saying NFL coaches could do a better job (bc they certainly CAN).

What people should be worried about is Tomlin's game philosophy and game management (I'm not talking about timeouts). He boasts one of the best QB's and offenses in the game, yet has shown the proclivity to negate that advantage by slowing the game down and not being aggressive from the start or delivering the death blows to his opponents when able.

They should also be concerned about his personnel usage. Riding RB's wheels off. Not giving game experience to unproven guys to see if they are capable.

Those types of things are and were more critical to this team's underachievement through the years.
We're creaming our pants at finally getting a couple of wins at this juncture- how fucking pathetic is that for a supposed SB contender?

Tomlin will get depants-ed again on national TV during the playoffs and everyone will shrug their shoulders and make excuses about the weather or the health of his team or that the pregame meal wasn't hot enough.