It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Love this chess match between Bell and Colbert/Rooney...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:30 am 

Yeah, I knew about the average of the top 10 salaries for the transition tag.

What is amazing is how Bell was able to get that original $12.1 franchise tag in the first place. Back then the RB market was absolutely crazy, think about that for a second, that was the top 5 average of the RBs in 2016? You had Peterson and players like Jamaal Charles with these insane, crazy per year contracts and that really elevated the number for the franchise tag. And then those players disappeared in a hurry, got hurt and teams were quick to cut them. There is a lesson there to be learned and the Rams and Cards knew the risks and history of it and structured their contracts accordingly. The players know this too.

Only Bell seems to think that he is different and special and the rules don't apply to him.

At this point I honestly think Bell is afraid. Afraid of coming back to the Steelers and not being the starter. Of just being part of a backfield by committee and worse, of not being the 1A, instead being the 1B, or even worse just a change of pace back, coming in sparingly, playing maybe 10-15 snaps a game.

If I am a team thinking about Bell next year, do I like what I am seeing from him? Do I think that is a player, a person I want on my team??

Bell handled this whole thing wrong from day one, every step of the way. Karma is a bitch and it will come around and bite you in the ass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Quixotic wrote:
Why wouldn’t you just put the best combination of players on the field. Seems simple to me. Even if you believe Bell is a better player, the Steelers are demonstrably better with Conner on the field. It’s a simple application of the Nash paradox, right?

I’m sorry, but the whole professional courtesy to veterans thing is nonsense. We can be a better team and save Bell’s salary for other purposes…it’s a pretty simple equation. Conner in. Bell out. Period.

Proven is strong — maybe Bell in this offense would go bananas.

Not to parse language too much. But I didn’t say “proven.” I said, “demonstrably.”

Nevertheless, you could be right. But I can’t imagine that Bell would be enough better—considering Conner’s production is roughly on par with Bell’s BEST season ever—to make paying him what he is asking the best use of that money.

If we had a defense that didn’t give up early leads and blow late ones, we would be at least a half-game better and leading our division. Maybe a game and a half better and in the drivers seat for a number 2 seed, a bye week, and a home playoff game.

The offense is good enough (and getting better) as it is. Ben is coming into mid-season stride. Very encouraged by the use of 3 TEs and RB in the passing game. Conner is scoring touchdowns, breaking tackles. Bell is an expensive luxury at best. A distraction at worst.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 pm 

I love Conner's desire and his qualities as a teammate. His numbers, though, are mostly a function of volume/opportunity and poor defenses. He's still ranking in the 20s as far as yards above replacement, DVOA, and success rate per play. I'm not suggesting Bell will be loads better-- especially after being away from football for so long-- but chances are an above average NFL RB would have similar or better results.

We're never going to find out, though, barring injury.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:08 pm 

I can see a scenario where Bell returns to the Steelers. Seems unlikely given the burning bridges and all but Colbert said he will negotiate again in December and Bell has recently said he wants to be a Steeler.

Now what the hell is that supposed to mean coming from Bell? Either he’s playing the sentimental card and really has no intention of working a deal with the Steelers but wants to get them to believe he does. Or maybe he thinks the Steelers might have the best offer.

If the Steelers play the transition tag I can see that eating into bells potential contract. That’s what he doesn’t want. One outcome of that is the Steelers offer becomes more attractive. It could even reached a tipping point where the Steelers offer ever so slightly adjusted becomes the best offer of the bell gets in hand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I love Conner's desire and his qualities as a teammate. His numbers, though, are mostly a function of volume/opportunity and poor defenses. He's still ranking in the 20s as far as yards above replacement, DVOA, and success rate per play. I'm not suggesting Bell will be loads better-- especially after being away from football for so long-- but chances are an above average NFL RB would have similar or better results.

We're never going to find out, though, barring injury.

Honestly, not to be argumentative, but isn't ANY rb's numbers a function of volume/opportunity and poor defenses? Even the Bus got stonewalled from time to time, and in my opinion, he's this era's gold standard around here. But his numbers were also padded with effort against lackluster run defenses.

I'll show my ignorance here and admit that I don't even know what yards above replacement, DVOA, and success rate per play are. So I certainly can't argue for or against their importance in quantifying productivity and/or value.

But since they exist, and you have access to them, could you throw out Bell's numbers last year? I'd like to see where he ranked with the same metrics you are using to rate JC.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm 

DYAR: Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this RB carried/caught the ball compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage.

DVOA: Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average running back in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. Negative DVOA represents below-average offense.

Success Rate. This number represents the player's consistency, measured by successful running plays (the definition of success being different based on down and distance) divided by total running plays. A player with higher DVOA and a low success rate mixes long runs with downs getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage. A player with lower DVOA and a high success rate generally gets the yards needed, but doesn't often get more.

***NOTE These numbers do not separate the performance of a running back from the performance of his offensive line... but OL blocking numbers do***

2018:
DYAR: JC -11 (28th) (1st: Gurley 148)
DVOA: JC -11.2% compared to average (27) (1st: Kerryon Johnson +33.1%)
Success Rate: JC 46% (23rd) (Gurley 60%)
Receiving DYAR: JC 46 (12th) (Ekeler 97)
Receiving DVOA: 11.5% (17th) (Ekeler 92.4%)
OL Run blocking: 16th

2017:
DYAR Bell 214 (5th) (D. Lewis 273)
DVOA LB 7.9% (11th) (Kamara 44.5%)
SucRate: LB 49% (11th) (Gillislee 58%)
RecDYAR: Bell 101 (11th) (Kamara 278))
RecDVOA: LB 2.5% (29th) (C. Thompson 67.3%)
OL Run Blocking: 7th

2016:
DYAR: LB 277 (3rd) (Elliott 339)
DVOA: LB 17.3% (5th) (Gillislee 44.9%)
SucRate: 56% (3rd) (Gillislee 66%)
RecDYAR: 165 (2nd) (David Johnson 274)
RecDVOA 16.2% (12th) (Tevin Coleman 48.8%)
OL Run blocking: 3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:11 pm 

Isnt the transition tag just a 1 year tag....
With that 1 year salary based on the top 10 average at RB.
Hence, that TT number will be easy for other teams to better...
Over a multi year offer.

And thought i read there is no compensation to the team...like the FT..

Other than the comp pick the following year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:22 pm 

I think Bell’s lack of playing time is actually a positive thing for other owners looking to give him a huge contract.I’d much rather Bell be a little rusty instead of logging another 400+ touches a year.
He is not going to lose a step or have his skills diminished.If anything he will be incredibly fresh.
Just turn on the game tape from 2016 playoffs vs Miami and KC and GM’s and owners are going to throw money at him.Book it!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:07 pm 

I would imagine Colbert will use the roster exemption on him as well, reducing his salary and potential salary under the transition tag next year.

Bell's agent is an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
DYAR: Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this RB carried/caught the ball compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage.

DVOA: Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average running back in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. Negative DVOA represents below-average offense.

Success Rate. This number represents the player's consistency, measured by successful running plays (the definition of success being different based on down and distance) divided by total running plays. A player with higher DVOA and a low success rate mixes long runs with downs getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage. A player with lower DVOA and a high success rate generally gets the yards needed, but doesn't often get more.

***NOTE These numbers do not separate the performance of a running back from the performance of his offensive line... but OL blocking numbers do***

2018:

2017:

2016:
RecDYAR: 165 (2nd) (David Johnson 274)

Okay, those are interesting. What I'm seeing is the OL Run Blocking is a catalyst here. What is the OL Run Blocking for the Rams this year? I'd hazard a guess that it's top 3. And putting Bell behind a 16th ranked OL Run Blocking, his numbers would likely be similar to James'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:28 am 

If that's your takeaway, you're reading it wrong.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

There is some truth to OL affecting some of those RB numbers, but look at the second level and open field yards/rankings.

Bell would likely be somewhat more effective than Conner, not necessarily a million times better. 2016 Bell would be light years better than Conner now, if used the same way vs the same defenses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 am 

SOCALSTEEL wrote:
I think Bell’s lack of playing time is actually a positive thing for other owners looking to give him a huge contract.I’d much rather Bell be a little rusty instead of logging another 400+ touches a year.
He is not going to lose a step or have his skills diminished.If anything he will be incredibly fresh.
Just turn on the game tape from 2016 playoffs vs Miami and KC and GM’s and owners are going to throw money at him.Book it!!

This is the way I see it.

Why would Bell be worried about coming back and sitting on the bench? I hate to say it, but that's best case scenario for him! Just like the top ranked college player sitting out the combine. Why do anything to hurt your stock? Teams remember him catching 9 balls for 88 yards and a great TD catch in the Jag's playoff game, and putting in a solid season last year.

If he just hangs out the rest of the season he's gonna get a massive contract.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 pm 

This is not a chess match.....Bell is playing checkers against himself :lol:

If Bell was going to come in before Wk10, wouldn't this have been the week to do it? That way if PIT used the 2-wk exemption, he'd only have to practice for 1 week without playing.

I don't think a trade works for Bell in any scenario, really. My play, I guess if I were him, would be to wait until after the trade deadline figuring PIT would just rescind the tag.

Still a tough question. Assuming we beat CLE, the Steelers should be as willing as most teams to "rent" Bell for the remainder of the season. Something happens to Conner and your playoff run goes off the rails. I guess not knowing what Bell I'd be getting, I would just roll the dice and save the cap money rescinding the tag.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:28 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

2018:

2017:

2016:
RecDYAR: 165 (2nd) (David Johnson 274)A

Are these numbers based on volume or efficiency, or both?

Conner has shown fantastic hand eye coordination in the receiving game. At 9.9 Y/R, he's a winning piece.

Bell 4.0 ypc last year, 4.3 for his career. Conner 4.4 this season.

Bell 7.7 Y/R last year, 8.5 for his career. Conner 9.9 this season.

Bell had 11 TD's last season (tied for his most ever). Conner is on pace for over 16.

Conner has had to play with plenty of OL issues this season due to injuries.

I do not see Bell putting up more efficient numbers this season than Conner, if anything he would be less efficient. Conner, it appears, is good enough to give us the volume necessary from the position while being the more efficient player.

Most important is how much does the offense score per possession with Bell vs Conner. The offense is currently 11th in the league in Pts/Dr and climbing. We were 25th after the hurricane OT opener in Cleveland. I don't believe we have seen the best of Ben yet this season.

Looks to me, the offense is on a trajectory to be as good as any we have had with Bell and possibly better in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm 

Havoc wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

2018:

2017:

2016:
RecDYAR: 165 (2nd) (David Johnson 274)A

Are these numbers based on volume or efficiency, or both?

Conner has shown fantastic hand eye coordination in the receiving game. At 9.9 Y/R, he's a winning piece.

Bell 4.0 ypc last year, 4.3 for his career. Conner 4.4 this season.

Bell 7.7 Y/R last year, 8.5 for his career. Conner 9.9 this season.

Bell had 11 TD's last season (tied for his most ever). Conner is on pace for over 16.

Conner has had to play with plenty of OL issues this season due to injuries.

I do not see Bell putting up more efficient numbers this season than Conner, if anything he would be less efficient. Conner, it appears, is good enough to give us the volume necessary from the position while being the more efficient player.

Most important is how much does the offense score per possession with Bell vs Conner. The offense is currently 11th in the league in Pts/Dr and climbing. We were 25th after the hurricane OT opener in Cleveland. I don't believe we have seen the best of Ben yet this season.

Looks to me, the offense is on a trajectory to be as good as any we have had with Bell and possibly better in the end.

We shouldn’t be thinking chess or checkers. We should be thinking “Money Ball.” Rather than fixating on who is the better back (pretty clearly, that would be Bell), but rather which back gives us A) what the position requires for this offense to perform optimally, and B) the value per dollar against the cap, which enables us to invest where the team really needs it…defensive backfield and linebackers. We don’t have to hate Bell or love Conner to decide that Conner is the right choice.

BUT, if Bell returns after the trade deadline, we should use him in a way that works for US. If that means two-back sets…Bell in the slot…Bell giving breathers to Conner…Bell and Conner as a fastball/curveball thing…running the wheels off of Bell for the remainder of the season…or Bell standing by with the Gatorade, ready to dump it on Coach’s head…whatever it is that’s what we should do. Having TWO backs of this quality is a gift. Why waste it.

Then, do what is necessary to get max benefit from Bell’s exodus. Whatever that means.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:19 pm 

Havoc: three HUGE factors

1. run blocking is better than last year
2. the persistence in running into stacks is lessened in 2018
3. the offense is more diverse without Bell/Haley

Conner has maximized his ability, and that's fantastic. At some point, like the 4th outfielder filling in for Barry Bonds, given enough ABs he's going to come to earth, and he's always likely to struggle running vs a truly good run defense.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Havoc: three HUGE factors

1. run blocking is better than last year
2. the persistence in running into stacks is lessened in 2018
3. the offense is more diverse without Bell/Haley

Conner has maximized his ability, and that's fantastic. At some point, like the 4th outfielder filling in for Barry Bonds, given enough ABs he's going to come to earth, and he's always likely to struggle running vs a truly good run defense.

Is Bell better than Connor against good run defenses?

If so, why?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:13 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
This is not a chess match.....Bell is playing checkers against himself :lol:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Havoc wrote:

This offense has been statistically better WITHOUT Bell than with him since his arrival. So we're already better off.

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Which Barry Bonds? The Pirates' version? The prime-years version? The juice'd version? Or the end of career version? Honestly, I don't really care. I think it's a terrible analogy.

There's no "coming down to earth" for JC. He's not putting up 200 yard rushing games. He is a product of the sum of the O line and their health/continuity. And beyond the O line's performance, he's making his own hay by breaking tackles, bludgeoning defenders, and making others simply look silly.

And I've said this before that even the best backs have bad games. Gurley won't rush for 200 every game. He'll eventually run into a buzzsaw.

And one other thing about the league's leading rusher. While JC was limited in a couple games because we spotted the opponents 2-3 scores and we had to air it out in catch-up mode the rest of the game, Gurley has been free to grind out yards every game. Put JC in that offense this year and his numbers would be far superior to what they are right now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:37 pm 

It's a baseball truism. The backup can play for a while and play above his pay grade for a while, but ultimately his flaws will have more time to come to the surface. It could be that Conner was just a star waiting to happen but, honestly, it would be somewhat out of the blue, based on the previous couple of seasons he played before this one.

If ultimately he's part of a rotation, I think he could be here and get touches for a long time. If he's the bell cow, I still feel like he'll plateau or see a slight decline.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 pm 

Would Bell be leading the NFL in broken tackles like Conner is currently doing through 6 games B2B??

See, that is the silver bullet in your stats argument. Bell WOULD NOT be doing what Conner is doing. Conner has been getting a lot of yards after contact, has been taking what is there but also creating so much more.

The yards per catch running and catching would be so much lower with Bell out there the first 6 games. You can only credit the blocking for so much, you can only credit the O-line and play calling for so much. At some point it really does come down to the RB being able to break tackles, get more yards, to get the most yards out of a play. Conner is doing better than Bell, he is proving it with each and ever game.

Like I said, people can discount all of these longer, 20+ yard plays but Conner is real close now to having even more explosive plays. I honestly feel he could have a 50 yard TD run or catch sometime soon this season. Bell gives me no such confidence. Conner if he were to start all season would probably end the season with 3 times the amount of explosive runs/catches.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next