It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Love this chess match between Bell and Colbert/Rooney...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:10 am 

Bell was to make $14.544 million this season on his 2nd franchise tag.

But Bell decided not to show up and sign the tag in the eleventh hour like he did last season. The NFL season is divided up into 17 game checks including the bye week, so Bell is losing $855,529 per week and the Steelers are gaining that same amount to their salary cap each week.

Bell and his agent seemed to have a plan where they were going to wait until the last 6 games before signing that franchise tag. The rationale being that signing the franchise tag, even at that late date, counts and that if the Steelers were to franchise him for a 3rd time in 2019, it would then count as the top 5 paid position of QBs, meaning it would be some $25+ million.

Patting themselves on the back, Bell and his agent are popping some corks on some champagne, but wait!!! Colbert and the Steelers then tell the media that they intend to place the transition tag on Bell for 2019!

The transition tag would be 120% of your previous salary. So, if Bell shows up for the last 6 games and signs his franchise tag, he will only make $5,133,174 and 120% of that would be $6,159,776. Now Bell and his agent may try and fight that and say that it should go by his previous 2017 salary of $12.1 million, but I think they will lose that fight.

Well played Colbert, well played.

Now, Bell is confused and asking his agent, "they can really place the transition tag on me for $6.2 million? That is all I am worth now, $6 million? If no team offers me a contract I like, I am stuck with the Steelers for $6.2 million??

So, Bell and his agent decide that he should show up for the bye week, 11 paychecks would be $9,410,819. If the Steelers placed the transition tag on him for 2019 and it went by his 2018 salary, at least now that transition tag amount would now be $11.3 million.

Also, Colbert talking with teams, having discussions about what it would take to trade Bell, what they would accept in terms of value that also forced Bell's hands in terms of coming in early before the trade deadline. If Bell really wants that big contract, you have to come in and sign that tag, get the ball rolling, give the Steelers enough time to facilitate a trade before the end of October.

That was their plan two weeks ago, but now James Conner has come on the scene these past two games and complicated matters for Bell.

Two straight games of Conner rushing for over 100 yards, two straight games of his scoring 2 TDs, two straight games of him having multiple 20+ yard runs and/or catches. Bell was all for coming back for the bye week when Conner and the running game appeared to be struggling and that the team clearly missed him (Bell). He probably thought to himself, I sign the tag, come back, and I am immediately inserted into he starting lineup.

But now, with these past two games with Conner playing great, Bell is probably shitting himself. What if I come back during the bye and they don't make me the starter? What if I come back and they put me on the bench? What if I get a token 10 snaps per game? How will other teams look at me then? Won't my stock take a tumble??? How will I get the big money contract that I want??? What if no team trades for me??

This is one of the best games of the season, this back and forth between Bell, Colbert and now James Conner. I can't wait to see how it all ends up. This is truly must see TV.

One last thing, I am amazed at how former players all side with Bell and float this idea all in lockstep with each other, that Bell should be the immediate starter when he comes back. Whether it is Chris Carter or Jeff Saturday, or whatever former player you can name, they all seem to think this way. Why?? Bell hasn't played a meaningful game or had a meaningful practice since the 2nd week of January, he has been off for 9 months. That long period of inactivity, no games, no training camp, no preseason games, nothing, is going to take a toll on him and our offense if he were immediately made the starter.

Yeah, if a starter gets injured and then is healthy again he should get his job back, but if a player like Bell is holding out, playing games, talking about preserving his body for his next team, then fuck him, all bets are off, you do not get your starting job back. It is as simple as that Chris Carter, it is as simple as that Jeff Saturday.

Post subject: Re: Love this chess match between Bell and Colbert/Rooney...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 am 

I have been enjoying this too, and have cringed at the former players being in lock step. Deion, MJD, Shannon Sharpe, even Ryan Clark we’re all so matter of fact about Bell would start immediately and JC would go to the bench. Bologna.

You did miss an important piece in this chess match. It is not just 120% of prior year salary. I think you forgot the and/or involved with the calculations. Bell’s camp still has the average of the top 5 highest RB earners, and/or RB franchise tags to fall back on....could be quite a difference with Gurley’s new contract. It is an average, but I suspect Bell will be protected by the math below when it all shakes out. It won’t be 120% of $14.5. The transition tag formula says to use the section below from the Exclusive and Non-exclusive and there is also some sub-section language within the Transition Tag portion as well. I think bottom line it will be 120% prior year salary or the average of top 5 RBs in 2018.

Am I missing something? Read the CBA PDF online and see if you don’t come up with something different than my interpretation. It starts on page 44. I could be wrong...I read it quickly and the legalese can make your eyes roll-back quickly. This board has more correct information than most of the sports media sites and articles because of posts like yours and others.

Popcorn time for sure.

(i) Nonexclusive Franchise Tender. The Nonexclusive Franchise Tender shall be a one year NFL Player Contract for (A) the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the Franchise Player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year, which average shall be calculated by: (1) summing the amounts of the Franchise Tags for players at that position for the five preceding League Years; (2) dividing the resulting amount by the sum of the Salary Caps for the five preceding League Years (using the average of the amounts of the 2009 and 2011 Salary Caps as the Salary Cap amount for the 2010 League Year); and (3) multiplying the resulting percentage by the Salary Cap for the upcoming League Year (e.g., when calculating the Tender for the 2012 League Year, dividing the aggregate sum of the Franchise Tags for players at that posi- tion for the 2007–2011 League Years by the aggregate sum of the Salary Caps for the 2007–2011 League Years and multiplying the result by the amount of the Salary Cap for the 2012 League Year) (the “Cap Percentage Average”) (See Appendix E for an illustra- tive example); or (B) 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater; if the Club extends the Tender pursuant to this Subsection (a)(i), the player shall be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club as if he were a player subject to Section 5 below, except that Draft Choice Compensation of two first round draft selections shall be made with respect to such player in the event he signs with the New Club, and the Signing Period for such player shall be determined under Section 14 below. For purposes of this Subsection, the “Franchise Tag” is the average of the five largest Prior Year Sala- ries (e.g., the Franchise Tag for the 2010 League Year equals the average of the five
largest Salaries for the 2009 League Year for players at that position); or

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:47 am 

My only interest in this story is what will the Steelers get in return for Bell? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Suwanee88 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:04 am 

I'm wondering if anyone else has been thinking this is all being staged by both parties? It does make some sense when you think about how both parties working in unison could potentially better their odds of walking away with everything they want. Bell with his guaranteed money and Pittsburgh with their draft pick and/or player. Playing out this whole charade where Bell holds out looking very disgruntled, meanwhile the Steelers strategically leaking the entertaining of trade talks while saving money for the cap next season... increasing everyone's curiosity. Meanwhile the season continues to unfold and the injuries pile up for some unfortunate team(s) playing right into their game like a fly in a spider web. Hell of a long shot and difficult to prove. What could go wrong? Bell ends up in Pittsburgh another year? Bell minimises the carries on his body? Pittsburgh saves a shit ton of money? That they can use to eventually re-sign Bell with? I don't know folks seems like a true conspiracy theory but why couldn't it be possible? :lol:

BTW: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/leveon-bel ... 52524.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am 

Scunge wrote:
One last thing, I am amazed at how former players all side with Bell and float this idea all in lockstep with each other, that Bell should be the immediate starter when he comes back. Whether it is Chris Carter or Jeff Saturday, or whatever former player you can name, they all seem to think this way. Why?? Bell hasn't played a meaningful game or had a meaningful practice since the 2nd week of January, he has been off for 9 months. That long period of inactivity, no games, no training camp, no preseason games, nothing, is going to take a toll on him and our offense if he were immediately made the starter.

Yeah, if a starter gets injured and then is healthy again he should get his job back, but if a player like Bell is holding out, playing games, talking about preserving his body for his next team, then fuck him, all bets are off, you do not get your starting job back. It is as simple as that Chris Carter, it is as simple as that Jeff Saturday.

Agree, at this point, fuck Leveon Bell.

Yesterday I heard RB fanboy LT call Bell the best RB in the league. LMFAO

Conner does some things better than Bell, and I would argue, things this team really needs.

Arrow pointing up with this offense. It's not close to being a finished product yet. Ben has not hit his stride yet this season. We have got nothing from our #3 wr.

I sportslove what James Conner is adding to this offense. He is better than Bell catching the football in space and it's not close. He is better than Bell slashing thru open holes and it's not close.

At this point, I prefer to never see Molasses get another snap for the Pittsburgh Steelers. A Bell centered offense was inferior to the very best offenses in the league. It was a dumb offense... low football IQ offense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:40 pm 

Lakecrest, that section you posted is talking about the non-exclusive tender, not the Transition Tag. I think those are two different things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:45 pm 

Quote:
Exclusive Franchise Tags
Those are the basic rules. Now it gets a bit more complicated. Tags are either "exclusive" or "non-exclusive."

An "exclusive" franchise player is not free to sign with another team. His club must pay him either the average of the top five NFL salaries for the position he plays – which can be a lot – or 120 percent of his previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Teams usually want to negotiate a longer term deal by July 15 that will pay less. If a new contract isn't agreed upon by the July 15 deadline, the tagged player becomes a free agent the following year when the exclusive tag expires.

Non-exclusive Franchise Tags
A “non-exclusive” franchise player is permitted to negotiate with other teams while he's trying to reach an agreement with his old team. His old club has the right to match any new team's offer, or it can let him go and receive two first-round draft choices for the player instead as compensation.

Transition Tags
A transition player designation gives the free agent's team the right of first refusal. If the player receives an offer from another club, his initial team has seven days after his contract expires to match it and the player stays. If the team doesn't match the offer, the player moves on and the team receives no compensation at all.

It costs less to retain a transition player. The one-year contract is based on the average of the top 10 salaries for the position he plays instead of five, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

...and I'll love this chess match even more if Bell get's what he REALLY deserves. Can't wait for Saturday..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm 

Bell runs as though he thinks he can juke everybody out of their socks. He wants to look good while playing football.

Conner runs like his life depends on it, and tries to gain as many yards as possible with every carry. Something Bell did in his first couple of years. AB, for all his admirable work ethic, has infected Bell with his prima donna attitude.

Conner can use some work on his lateral movement and fake out skills. He's got no moves, but attacks the hole and runs like a bat out of hell.

Fuck Bell and his greedy ass. Conner has proven Bell is expendable, when he thought he wasn't. Either that or he simply doesn't want to play football and snoopy doggy has convinced him he can make millions with his "rap."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:45 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Agree, at this point, fuck Leveon Bell.

Yesterday I heard RB fanboy LT call Bell the best RB in the league. LMFAO

Conner does some things better than Bell, and I would argue, things this team really needs.

Arrow pointing up with this offense. It's not close to being a finished product yet. Ben has not hit his stride yet this season. We have got nothing from our #3 wr.

I sportslove what James Conner is adding to this offense. He is better than Bell catching the football in space and it's not close. He is better than Bell slashing thru open holes and it's not close.

At this point, I prefer to never see Molasses get another snap for the Pittsburgh Steelers. A Bell centered offense was inferior to the very best offenses in the league. It was a dumb offense... low football IQ offense.

Vance McDonald says hello...no, I hear you though, if he goes down then we're gonna need a 3rd option, most definitely at wideout.

All the hopes everyone had for Washington....can't believe he hasn't contributed to this point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:54 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lakecrest, that section you posted is talking about the non-exclusive tender, not the Transition Tag. I think those are two different things.

It is confusing. If I read it correctly, in the transition tag section, it says to use the formula in the exclusive and non-exclusive sections, which are above the transition tag section in the NFL CBA.pdf.

Also there is a sentence or two about using a subsection after the transition tag section.

So it is confusing. But all these calculations have always usually been average of the player’s position or 120%.

Here is the transition tag section....see bolded sentence (section 2 is Franchise Tag):
_______
Section 4. Required Tender for Transition Players:
(a) Any Club that designates a Transition Player shall be deemed on the first
day of the League Year following the expiration of the player’s last contract to have automatically tendered the player a one year NFL Player Contract for (A) the Cap Per- centage Average of the ten largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the Transition Player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year, which Average shall be calculated using the methodology as in Section 2(a)(i)(A) above[b]; or (B) 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater. The Tender may be withdrawn at any time, but if such Tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. For purposes of this Subsection, the “Transition Tag” for any League Year is the average of the ten largest Prior Year Salaries for players at that position (e.g., the Transition Tag for the 2010 League Year equals the average of the ten largest Salaries for the 2009 League Year for players at that position).
______

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:01 pm 

Why wouldn’t you just put the best combination of players on the field. Seems simple to me. Even if you believe Bell is a better player, the Steelers are demonstrably better with Conner on the field. It’s a simple application of the Nash paradox, right?

I’m sorry, but the whole professional courtesy to veterans thing is nonsense. We can be a better team and save Bell’s salary for other purposes…it’s a pretty simple equation. Conner in. Bell out. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:20 pm 

I don't think Bell sniffs the type of offer we gave to him before last and this season. Bell not playing has basically let Conner showcase just how good our offensive line is and how much they've helped Bell pile up his stats over the years. Conner is doing just as well to start the season as Bell did last year.

Bell's marginal production over Conner doesn't justify his high price tag.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:29 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

It is confusing. If I read it correctly, in the transition tag section, it says to use the formula in the exclusive and non-exclusive sections, which are above the transition tag section in the NFL CBA.pdf.

Also there is a sentence or two about using a subsection after the transition tag section.

So it is confusing. But all these calculations have always usually been average of the player’s position or 120%.

Here is the transition tag section....see bolded sentence (section 2 is Franchise Tag):
_______
Section 4. Required Tender for Transition Players:
(a) Any Club that designates a Transition Player shall be deemed on the first
day of the League Year following the expiration of the player’s last contract to have automatically tendered the player a one year NFL Player Contract for (A) the Cap Per- centage Average of the ten largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the Transition Player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year, which Average shall be calculated using the methodology as in Section 2(a)(i)(A) above[b]; or (B) 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater. The Tender may be withdrawn at any time, but if such Tender is withdrawn, the player immediately becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent and thereafter is completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. For purposes of this Subsection, the “Transition Tag” for any League Year is the average of the ten largest Prior Year Salaries for players at that position (e.g., the Transition Tag for the 2010 League Year equals the average of the ten largest Salaries for the 2009 League Year for players at that position).
______

same methodology but it specifies "ten largest Prior Year Salaries" rather than 5 (see bolded)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm 

Quixotic wrote:
Why wouldn’t you just put the best combination of players on the field. Seems simple to me. Even if you believe Bell is a better player, the Steelers are demonstrably better with Conner on the field. It’s a simple application of the Nash paradox, right?

I’m sorry, but the whole professional courtesy to veterans thing is nonsense. We can be a better team and save Bell’s salary for other purposes…it’s a pretty simple equation. Conner in. Bell out. Period.

Proven is strong — maybe Bell in this offense would go bananas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Quixotic wrote:

That could be very true. So hard to tell when other guys don't get the touches to find out.

Meanwhile, gotta turn that oil supertanker, even if it takes 4 months.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
Quixotic wrote:

That could be very true. So hard to tell when other guys don't get the touches to find out.

Meanwhile, gotta turn that oil supertanker, even if it takes 4 months.
Sure. That analogy works with a large bureaucracy, but not with a football team. This team makes conscious choices. It's not like it needs to clear layers and levels of red tape. Two or three guys are making decisions. Not forty or a hundred and forty.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:17 pm 

• Le’Veon Bell Steelers $9,432,000
  • Todd Gurley Rams $7,228,306
  • David Johnson Cardinals $5,041,843
  • Devonta Freeman Falcons $5,000,000
  • LeSean McCoy Bills $8,950,000
  • Saquon Barkley Giants $5,671,773
  • Jerick McKinnon 49ers $6,000,000
  • Leonard Fournette Jaguars $6,170,655
  • Lamar Miller Texans $6,750,000
  • Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys $6,806,274
============================
= 600300851

Avg = $6,030,085

If Bell reports this week the average is below 7M
120 % of his current salary is 11,318,400

It only keeps getting worst the longer he is out.

** I got the numbers from https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/ and looked at the top 10 RBs salary THIS YEAR.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:18 pm 

If you go to wikipedia and look up conservative, risk-averse management and decision-making, The Pittsburgh Steelers logo is there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
If you go to wikipedia and look up conservative, risk-averse management and decision-making, The Pittsburgh Steelers logo is there.
No argument there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 pm 

jebrick wrote:
  • Le’Veon Bell Steelers $9,432,000
  • Todd Gurley Rams $7,228,306
  • David Johnson Cardinals $5,041,843
  • Devonta Freeman Falcons $5,000,000
  • LeSean McCoy Bills $8,950,000
  • Saquon Barkley Giants $5,671,773
  • Jerick McKinnon 49ers $6,000,000
  • Leonard Fournette Jaguars $6,170,655
  • Lamar Miller Texans $6,750,000
  • Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys $6,806,274
============================
= 600300851

Avg = $6,030,085

If Bell reports this week the average is below 7M
120 % of his current salary is 11,318,400

It only keeps getting worst the longer he is out.

** I got the numbers from https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/ and looked at the top 10 RBs salary THIS YEAR.

Bell’s salary this year is based off the 120% of last year’s salary. That is why it is $14.5 million.

When and if they put the transition tag on him next year Scunge’s argument was that it will be 120% of $14.5 million minus what he has forfeited for not showing.

I just wanted to add that it could also be what ever is greater; the 120% or the average of the 10 RB 2018 salaries, which would include Gurley’s monster deal, may come into play. I have not done the spreadsheet on it.

It is complicated and definitely a chess match, but just wanted to highlight that it could be in play pending on what Bell does and how much he chooses to forfeit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:29 pm 

All of those figures are from the RB's cap hit on the 2018 salary cap it does include Gurley's deal. I subtracted the 6 x855,529 from the 14.5M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 pm 

Obviously, I misunderstood. Then your spreadsheet paints a pretty poor picture for Bell.

Will there be signing bonuses that will be in the salaries for 2018 after the season is over that perhaps are not captured?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Obviously, I misunderstood. Then your spreadsheet paints a pretty poor picture for Bell.

Will there be signing bonuses that will be in the salaries for 2018 after the season is over that perhaps are not captured?

I am not sure. I used the link that I posted and went to each RBs contact and took the number that was the 2018 cap hit. The cap hit is the base salary plus any prorated signing bonus.

for example This is Todd Gurley's number for 2018.

2018 Salary Cap Charge: $7,228,306
% of 2018 Team Cap: 4.03%
2018 Cash Payout: $21,950,000
% of 2018 Team Cash Spending: 10.23%
2018 Cash to Cap Ratio: 3.04
Total Contract Value: $57,500,000
Annual Contract Value: $14,375,000
Position Ranking: 0/64 at RB
Fully Guaranteed Money: $21,950,000

I may be figuring it wrong but I would guess that the average of salaries for this season means the salaries against the cap for 2018

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:02 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

The main reason I can’t stand Where Art2 Thou. This philosophy doesn’t compete with the teams that own us....particularly NE.