It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bud Dupree
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 pm 

What are your thoughts a third through this season?
I was watching him get easily stone walled by the Cinci TE Iwuma which I would hope he would beat with his speed.
I thought guys like Ziggy Hood and Jarvis Jones at least were decent run stuffers but Bud seems to get lost in the wash.
Wish he would become a poor mans Clowney but at times he looks like Alonzo Jackson.

Post subject: Re: Bud Dupree
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm 

He's better than Jarvis Jones.

By a hair.

Maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm 

KC wrote:
He's better than Jarvis Jones.

By a hair.

Maybe.

Yeah, a pussy hair.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:56 pm 

Bust. Artie Burns type disappointment. It’s strange because they have some great picks and acquisitions but these two guys are awful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm 

Is he as good as Zadarius Smith, his former teammate at Kentucky that went 3 rounds after him in the draft?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm 

You know it is funny, but I think Dupree is playing himself into a 2nd contract with the Steelers.

First, he may have that $9.2 million 5th year option for 2019 on the books but the Steelers will most likely sign him to a new deal for less than that. He won't make $9 million per season.

Some may say, Dupree is a bum, what has he done?

This season he has 19 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 1 INT, 1 TD scored off of that INT, and 1 Forced Fumble. Sorry, but Jarvis Jones never performed like that, you guys can spin it all you want.

If the Steelers are going to pay Vince Williams an average of $6.2 million then resigning Dupree to $7, 7.5 million per season is easily possible.

Many of you may hate the idea but I think it is going to happen. My prediction? Bud probably ends the season with 8 sacks and the Steelers in the offseason give him a 5 year, $35 million deal and structure it in a way where that old $9.2 million 5th year option turns into a first year cap hit of some $4 million. So they free up $5 million, have Dupree under a new contract and hope for the best that he continues to improve.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 pm 

7.5 million for some dong sacks and complete disappearing acts through not just games but parts of seasons? You might be right that the Steelers re-sign him, but he's not going to magically get better. He is who he is. Great straight line athlete. Very poor changing of direction. Horrid instincts. Even worse technique. Whipped by TEs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 pm 

I can certainly see them re-signing him (it would be very Steeler like) and most all of us here moaning about it. He’s a decidedly less awful player than Artie Burns at this point, but that’s not saying much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:37 pm 

I mostly agree Franco, but that Vince Williams contract just blew my mind at the time and to me it sets a precedent that they will easily sign Bud to a new contract. And also Jesse James too for that matter.

To me if I am the GM I move on from all 3 of those players and don't pay them but that is not what will happen. Instead we will see Vince Williams make $6.2 million per year, we will see Dupree make $7 million per year and Jesse James resigned and making between $4.5-5 million per year. That is mind boggling to me. That is why we can't have nice things, we overspend on average players and thus have less money to pursue free agents with real talent, that can be real impact players, starters.

Will, I agree on Burns. That TD this past game that he gave up was the last straw for me. Did he think he had safety help over the top?? :lol: He is who he is, a player with no instincts whatsoever. At least Bud will make some plays, Artie? No, that kid is a lost cause. If they give him a 2nd contract Colbert needs his head examined for CTE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 pm 

SP wrote:
Is he as good as Zadarius Smith, his former teammate at Kentucky that went 3 rounds after him in the draft?

Zadarius was the better player at UK. Smith was a JUCO transfer if I remember correctly. Bud flashed against bad competition, but Smith was the better overall player, just wondered if he'd be a fit in the 3-4. I remember PFF breaking down that essentially all of Dupree's sacks and pressures came against the worst of college football's offensive tackles. Against any sort of quality competition he was a ghost.

And yes, Smith went in the fourth round while we ran to the podium in the first to draft Alvin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:49 am 

franco32 wrote:
7.5 million for some dong sacks and complete disappearing acts through not just games but parts of seasons? You might be right that the Steelers re-sign him, but he's not going to magically get better. He is who he is. Great straight line athlete. Very poor changing of direction. Horrid instincts. Even worse technique. Whipped by TEs.

Agree and I think they will sign him too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 am 

My biggest fault with Bud is that his mind is stuck in the mud.
He has the physical tools, the measurables.

He spends too much time watching, watching the play unfold as others around him are reacting to the play.
Like there is too much thinking and thinking about his responsibilities.

He needs to do a much better job of cutting loose and getting after the QB.
He is too big and too fast to be stoned play after play.

I think coaching is also a big part of the reason he is not the player he should be.
Forget getting to the QB.......
How many times have we seen him do something entirely different in approaching the pass rush?
Spin, dip, rip, insane bull rush to dump his guy in the lap of the QB.
Its alot of the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 am 

Great post Scunge. Best laugh of the day but all too true.

Scunge wrote:
I mostly agree Franco, but that Vince Williams contract just blew my mind at the time and to me it sets a precedent that they will easily sign Bud to a new contract. And also Jesse James too for that matter.

To me if I am the GM I move on from all 3 of those players and don't pay them but that is not what will happen. Instead we will see Vince Williams make $6.2 million per year, we will see Dupree make $7 million per year and Jesse James resigned and making between $4.5-5 million per year. That is mind boggling to me. That is why we can't have nice things, we overspend on average players and thus have less money to pursue free agents with real talent, that can be real impact players, starters.

Will, I agree on Burns. That TD this past game that he gave up was the last straw for me. Did he think he had safety help over the top?? :lol: He is who he is, a player with no instincts whatsoever. At least Bud will make some plays, Artie? No, that kid is a lost cause. If they give him a 2nd contract Colbert needs his head examined for CTE.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:06 am 

Joey Porter needs to move on with his life's work. He's developed absolutely nobody at OLB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
Mike Tomlin needs to move on with his life's work. He's developed absolutely nobody at OLB.

Anybody still wonder why The Legendary Steeler James Harrison went full on insubordinate while being forced to stand on the sidelines and watch this shit show, knowing he would turn it back into a position of strength and would have been THE difference this defense needed :?:

then Dupy started running his ignorant millennial mouth and JPeezy and Mikey T kept siding with this jackass...

...and y'all left to wonder why we can't get outta our own way...

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 am 

Steeledge wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Mike Tomlin needs to move on with his life's work. He's developed absolutely nobody at OLB.

Anybody still wonder why The Legendary Steeler James Harrison went full on insubordinate while being forced to stand on the sidelines and watch this shit show, knowing he would turn it back into a position of strength and would have been THE difference this defense needed :?:

then Dupy started running his ignorant millennial mouth and JPeezy and Mikey T kept siding with this jackass...

...and y'all left to wonder why we can't get outta our own way...

:roll:

The thing about about that situation that made it all acceptable to me was #92 getting to start in the super bowl a couple of weeks after his old team was eliminated after giving up 45 points to the vaunted Jaguar offense (yes 1 pick 6 in there). He who laughs last laughs best :D Cluster fuck of historical proportions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:59 am 

Enjoy the bye week boys 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
My biggest fault with Bud is that his mind is stuck in the mud.
He has the physical tools, the measurables.

He spends too much time watching, watching the play unfold as others around him are reacting to the play.
Like there is too much thinking and thinking about his responsibilities.

He needs to do a much better job of cutting loose and getting after the QB.
He is too big and too fast to be stoned play after play.

I think coaching is also a big part of the reason he is not the player he should be.
Forget getting to the QB.......
How many times have we seen him do something entirely different in approaching the pass rush?
Spin, dip, rip, insane bull rush to dump his guy in the lap of the QB.
Its alot of the same.

This ^
I've been saying it for a few years too. It's like Bud can practice his pass rush in a simple/predictable setting (against a dummy) and look great, but the minute real bullets fly and he has to adjust to any variables (like real football) he's useless. Bud has elite physical tools, but a 10 cent head. He's probably a nice guy too, but he's just not mentally equipped to be as effective (in real football settings) as his tools would allow him. I'm not sure he'll ever be more than an average player, at best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:49 pm 

They should’ve signed Kevin Greene as OLB coach when they had the chance. Porter is an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:35 pm 

Just curious as to the number of threads titled "Bud Dupree." Seems every week there's another. I don't even think Jervis or Cowher to the ... had as many.