It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Healthy Vance McDonald
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:18 am 

We’ve ripped on this guy previously for his injuries...

But..

When healthy this dude is a beast....you have to admit this guy is a serious weapon.

I’m not the biggest Outlaw fan but between him, Vance and an occasional sprinkling of Xavier, we are currently loaded at TE.

Post subject: Re: Healthy Vance McDonald
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 am 

Loving me some Vance.

Almost always busts thru first tackle, unlike James who goes down relatively easy...dude made a really nice low tackle on that 3rd down play. Ben said when everyone is healthy VM is number 3 option.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am 

I knew he would be (if he stayed healthy), as I watched him play plenty with the 49ers. I will admit, I didn't know he could be this physical. I knew he was an outlier athlete for his size, but didn't quite see the nastiness before he got here. That physicality he plays with is the main reason he has problems staying healthy though...it's a double edge sword.

I sure hope he stays healthy, because our O is a different beast when he is, and he's used probably, that is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 am 

Having McDonald hit Burfict hard enough to see him muttering on the bench was an image of beauty. As seen yesterday that when the wr's are covered well, McDonald can carry the team along with James Connor. It is also nice to see Vance McDonald shake off tacklers as if they are rag dolls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm 

McDonald and Conner are among my favorite players to watch on this team right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm 

Yes, this is why I hated seeing him down field making a tackle on the punt coverage team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:40 pm 

You can add him to Conner, Juju and Cam on the list of likeable players. Funny how this list has doubled in size on the mini-win streak. Hell, I think Ben and AB might be earning their way back on there next. Haden's a good player and a good story, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm 

James is 6-7. Mac is 6-4. I'd expect one to have a lower center of gravity, therefore more maneuverability. But J. James, along with Conner, should work on their lateral movement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 pm 

Havoc wrote:
McDonald and Conner are among my favorite players to watch on this team right now.

me too.. dude was frustrating as Ladarius green imposter. damn vance; stay healthy u beast!!! looks like gronk in steeler attire!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 pm 

Pro TV commentators are usually really bad, but one of them during the broadcast compared Vance to Mike Ditka. That's a bit of a stretch, but quite a compliment. And I don't think many of us thought VMac would be the freight train that he is these days. I just hope his fighting for extra yards doesn't hurt him, or us. His fumble was a result of exactly that, trying to make more out of the play than was there. I really appreciate the extra effort, but yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:15 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
We’ve ripped on this guy previously for his injuries...

But..

When healthy this dude is a beast....you have to admit this guy is a serious weapon.

I’m not the biggest Outlaw fan but between him, Vance and an occasional sprinkling of Xavier, we are currently loaded at TE.

I never had faith in the X man after he whiffed on the sealed block on the Dwill goal line rush against the Pats a couple years in the playoffs.

I gladly eat my words now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:54 pm 

In this new age of the NFL enforcing rules to create a kinder, gentler league, it is nice to see some Steelers bringing the physical play. Vance does a great job of this. I also like how Conner puts his shoulder down and looks to deliver blows when he runs. These guys and even AB look to stiff arm defenders to the ground while they're running. I'm glad they're being as physical as they can under current rules.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 pm 

Glad to see some element of surprise with Grimble getting some wide open looks.

We have two TEs on pace for over 700 yards.
Wow.

Assuming those yards that were supposed to go to #3 WR are getting distributed to the TEs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 pm 

He runs angry and has improved his hands greatly... he needs to hang on to the ball better, but he’s been a big lift to the offense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 pm 

I never left the bandwagon, hell, I started the bandwagon. Back in May of 2017 I was pleading for the Steelers to trade a 3rd to the 49ers for McDonald. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8753&p=309894&hilit=vance+mcdonald#p309894

I do think that McDonald is like our version of Gronk, and just like Gronk, his physical style will cause him to miss time here and there, but it is all worth it.

Jesse James is in the last year of his contract and who knows how that will work out but McDonald just had his contract restructured this season to free up money, and he had two club options for additional years on his contract that the Steelers acquired from the 49ers.

Originally it was a 3 year, $19.7 million contract. But it had two additional years that were options if the team wants to keep him, at a base salary of $5.5 million each season. The fact that the Steelers restructured his base salary this season and spread it out in the form of a signing bonus over the years 2018-2021 show that they do indeed intend to keep him for the long haul. They are going to pick up those club options in 2020 and 2021.

McDonald does not become a free agent until the 2022 season. That is very cool.

You want to know what is cooler than that? He had escalators, performance based in his contract. The more he performs, the more money he gets paid. I like that. I like that a player has incentive to be great, to play great and be rewarded for it.

In the contract that he signed there are stipulations that if he catches 55 passes in a year he gets: $75,000
In the contract that he signed there are stipulations that if he catches 700+ yards in a year he gets: $75,000
There was also language in his contract that for the 2017-2019 seasons that he had per game bonuses of some $46,875. I was unclear if that meant he had to play in a game or had to start a game but that could tally up to $750,000 a year.

So, if McDonald misses a game then he must be really hurt because it truly is causing him to lose potential money.

Vance has 20 catches for 274 yards, that puts him on pace for 53 catches and 731 yards. He is very close to earning $150,000. Say he plays 14 of the 16 games this year, that might mean he earns another $656,000. That is over $800,000 he might earn this year for performance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:31 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Glad to see some element of surprise with Grimble getting some wide open looks.

We have two TEs on pace for over 700 yards.
Wow.

Assuming those yards that were supposed to go to #3 WR are getting distributed to the TEs.

Actually, even if Washington had proved to be an early season stud, I think they like to run two TE sets with VMac and JJ much of the time. It gives them lots of options and makes any D they face put more bigs on the field, which, in turn, helps Ben with the PA pass we've seen more of.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:37 am 

Vance is wr fast too. If he can stay healthy I don’t see why pro bowls won’t be part of his future.

Too early to give up on Washington. Kid was crazy in college and the talk of the offseason. Now he can’t play on Sundays? Nah don’t buy it. He needs more time on the field.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 am 

I'm not giving up on Washington, but I started getting concerned after week 5

Washington was a preseason beast... vs 2nd and 3rd teamers (if I recall correctly). Used his physicality to dominate his opponent but at that competition level.

I still have hopes for the kid though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 am 

Havoc wrote:
I'm not giving up on Washington, but I started getting concerned after week 5

Washington was a preseason beast... vs 2nd and 3rd teamers (if I recall correctly). Used his physicality to dominate his opponent but at that competition level.

I still have hopes for the kid though.

Simplify route tree, get him in space, throw a deep shot or two to him, let him compete for 50/50 balls. Basically, the Martavis package, but 50/50s instead of running by DBs. Agree he needs more reps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 pm 

My main issue with how they are using Washington is that they are not giving him enough credit. Remember that one game where he had only two catches? But both were across the middle of the field, were those intermediate passes that Ben usually throws to JuJu. Washington went up and grabbed both passes and looked a lot like JuJu in doing so.

He is not just a vertical deep WR. I would argue that he can run more routes than Bryant ever could, he is not just a one trick pony. Why not line him up in the slot more? Put him in motion? They are not being creative enough with him. It is like Fitchner/Ben have blinders on with Brown and Washington. They are perfectly fine with moving JuJu around, lining him up, being creative with him and then they don't want to put the same effort into doing the same with Brown and Washington.

AJ Green was lining up everywhere for Cincy, just as the Falcons did the same with Julio. We do what we do, it is so predictable with our outside WRs and thus it is easier to defend against them.

You want to know what I want to see more of? Lining up Vance McDonald out as a WR like how NE does with Gronk. I remember two times the Steelers doing that and forcing the defense to call a timeout, Cincy did it just this past game.

What if you line up McDonald outside and move Washington in to the slot WR? How do defenses matchup with that? Just so much that Fitchner and Ben could be doing to expand this offense and create big plays down the field and yet they aren't. Why?