It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will the Steelers make a trade?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm 

sorry meant to say put thoughts here

Last edited by steelmann58 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Will the Steelers make a trade?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:16 pm 

No?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:31 pm 

updated the message

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:34 pm 

Who are we talking about? Trading Bell? I don't believe they will. For Who and/or What worthy of the same value?

I hope they ride out the season and let him go away in the off season as a FA.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:46 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I hope they ride out the season and let him go away in the off season as a FA.

Depends on if he shows up before the trade deadline, and what teams are offering.

As some others have pointed out, we probably won't get a comp pick for Bell given we figure to be net+ players in FA. I'd take whatever I could get in trade. Heck, I'd outright rescind the tag just to save $6M.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:11 pm 

I don't understand the whole getting value thing.

Chances are great that we are going to splurge in free agency like never before next offseason. So, that is going to negate any comp pick for Bell most likely or at the very least reduce it significantly.

For example, say instead of a 3rd for Bell we sign 2, 3 or 4 players in free agency and the end result is that we end up with a 5th round comp pick.

So, with that in mind, why wouldn't you take a 4th round pick right now? Or a 5th round pick?

The idea that we are going to get value for Bell, that we are going to get a 2nd or 3rd in trade or a 3rd round comp pick is just delusional to me. That ship has long since sailed.

Take a late 4th or early 5th round pick from an NFC team for Bell and be happy about having that full $14.544 million suddenly added to our total under the cap. Money that can be rolled over to next year and be used in free agency. I speculated that they could easily be $35, 40, 45 million under the cap at the start of free agency.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:11 pm 

The problem is if James gets injured. Thats why Bell would be a nice insurance policy if he wants to play.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:14 pm 

I was thinking player Scunge. We've already discussed the picks potential. I'm looking at possibly a player with starting ability and a mid (4th) to late (6th) round pick as you suggest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:16 pm 

I was thinking besides Bell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
I was thinking besides Bell.

Besides Bell? No.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm looking at possibly a player with starting ability and a mid (4th) to late (6th) round pick as you suggest.

I think PIT will take what they can get. It depends on the demand (or bidding war). The team taking him potentially can expect an R3 comp the following year.

So there could be a late R3 as sort of a floor value. But like Scunge said, PIT probably gets nothing. But if a team wants him, if they need him, giving up their R3 this year in exchange for an R3 comp next year? That seems fairly easy to do, maybe an R4. But you're definitely not getting a player, and IMO there's a huge drop-off from an R2 vs. R3 pick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm 

Bell and Connor are going back and forth on Twitter.

Ben’s banter about it being Connor’s last game was hilarious with his straight face.

Who knows...maybe Bell had a come to Jesus moment?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:35 pm 

I have a serious Le'Veon Bell Trade question. The Steelers said they are planning on "Tagging" Bell again, right? If I understand the situation correctly; he has lost money showing up late, so his 2018 salary will now be reduced meaning next years 3rd tag number would be reduced..

When he signs, we hold on to him now since his salary won't be 14.5 million. A pretty good bargain for Bell for the last half of the season That will also put money (under the cap) in the Steelers pocket next year. The we tag him again after this season and try to swing Jarvis Laundry type trade before the TAG signing deadline but before the draft.

So, if I am understanding things correctly wouldn't Bell holding out be a godsend to Steelers by giving us leverage again to get maximum value out of a trade once the new league year starts? I would think a Jarvis Landry type deal would be the best way to get good value. PLUS save the team money against the cap?

Last edited by Steelersfan on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm 

There won't be any trades. We do what we do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm 

If they use a Trans Tag on Bell which will make another team set the price.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 pm 

Artie Burns for Patrick Peterson, straight up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:31 pm 

Obviously wrote:
There won't be any trades. We do what we do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 pm 

SP wrote:
Artie Burns for Patrick Peterson, straight up.

Or Mike Mitchell more likely

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 am 

Steelersfan wrote:
I have a serious Le'Veon Bell Trade question. The Steelers said they are planning on "Tagging" Bell again, right? If I understand the situation correctly; he has lost money showing up late, so his 2018 salary will now be reduced meaning next years 3rd tag number would be reduced..

When he signs, we hold on to him now since his salary won't be 14.5 million. A pretty good bargain for Bell for the last half of the season That will also put money (under the cap) in the Steelers pocket next year. The we tag him again after this season and try to swing Jarvis Laundry type trade before the TAG signing deadline but before the draft.

So, if I am understanding things correctly wouldn't Bell holding out be a godsend to Steelers by giving us leverage again to get maximum value out of a trade once the new league year starts? I would think a Jarvis Landry type deal would be the best way to get good value. PLUS save the team money against the cap?

The transition tag still is going to cost some $11.3 million. And it does not give us the ability to swing a trade, only to match an offer sheet that Bell and his agent line up with another team. So, for example say the NYJets offer a 4 year, $60 million deal. Great!!! Many Steeler fans take to the streets, rejoice, saying hey, they offered $10 million less than what the Steelers offered Bell last season. But then you read the fine print, the Jets are going to give him $35 million of that right up front, guaranteed. Teams are going to be able to put a poison pill in that contract, guarantee more upfront money while offering less money overall and Bell will jump at the chance to sign that type of contract.

So, in that situation the Steelers should let him walk and spend that money elsewhere, on defense, in free agency, etc. If they instead sign Bell to that contract, they will not be able to play in free agency at all.

It is best all around for everybody to just let Bell walk after the season, don't transition tag him even, just let him go. I don't even want $11.3 million tied up with Bell. I want the Steelers to make plans, to be a major player the first week of free agency. You want that stud ILB who somehow is a free agent and there for the taking? You ability to sign him will be lessened if $11.3 million is tied up with Bell. What if Bell does not sign a deal right away? If it drags out a month or two then the Steelers may miss out on that stud ILB, or stud CB, or stud S, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 am 

https://www.whitewolfsports.com/nfl/top-current-options-at-each-position-in-2019-nfl-free-agency/

Quote:
Edge defenders

1. Khalil Mack, OAK
2. Jadeveon Clowney, HOU
3. Brandon Graham, PHI
4. Ezekiel Ansah, DET
5. DeMarcus Lawrence, DAL
6. Clay Matthews, GB
7. Cameron Wake, MIA
8. Dante Fowler Jr., JAX
9. Dee Ford, KC
10. Carlos Dunlap, CIN

Thoughts: The Khalil Mack versus Jadeveon Clowney debate could start again next year, and both guys are going to demand top dollar if they reach the open market. Unless one of them has a monster season, Brandon Graham (31 next year), Ezekiel Ansah (30 next year), Clay Matthews (33 next year), and Cameron Wake (37 next year) might all be forced to settle for short-term or not-so-lucrative deals.

Linebackers

1. C.J. Mosley, BAL
2. Jordan Hicks, PHI
3. Anthony Barr, MIN
4. Avery Williamson, NYJ
5. Kwon Alexander, TB
6. Thomas Davis, CAR
7. Mychal Kendricks, CLE
8. Jake Ryan, GB
9. Deone Bucannon, ARI
10. Denzel Perryman, LAC

Thoughts: Linebacker is just about as loaded as running back, but I would think that C.J. Mosley and Jordan Hicks in particular are never allowed to hit free agency. The rest of the group could all possibly be available though, and they’ve each shown flashes of greatness in the league.

Cornerbacks

1. Eric Rowe, NE
2. Bradley Roby, DEN
3. Morris Claiborne, NYJ
4. Rashaan Melvin, OAK
5. Jason Verrett, LAC
6. Ronald Darby, PHI
7. Darqueze Dennard, CIN
8. E.J. Gaines, CLE
9. Byron Maxwell, SEA
10. Vontae Davis, BUF

Thoughts: At cornerback, it will be all about scheme when deciding who to target out of these guys, the top six of which could probably be in any order. Those who miss out on the players in their prime might be hoping for one or two more good seasons from Byron Maxwell or Vontae Davis if they show well in 2018.

Safeties

1. Earl Thomas, SEA
2. Landon Collins, NYG
3. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, GB
4. LaMarcus Joyner, LAR
5. Adrian Amos, CHI
6. Tyrann Mathieu, HOU
7. Marcus Gilchrist, OAK
8. Jimmie Ward, SF
9. Kareem Jackson, HOU
10. Tre Boston, ARI

Thoughts: Thomas, Collins, and Clinton-Dix are all former All-Pros that could easily earn the honor again this season, but the other options could be difference-makers for a new team, too. I think next year’s free agents at the position will have much better luck that this year’s because they are simply better players.

Some of the defensive players that could be available in free agency 2019.