It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Connor is Better than Bell!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:33 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
My only question: Why did the ball get spotted at the 1 yard line as opposed to the 1 foot line where Ben could sneak it in?

Or at least hope that would have been the easy play.

THIS is the biggest question... and I have an answer for you.

THAT'S WHAT THEY ALWAYS DO.

Some former NFL player who is on one of the talking heads show pointed this out a few months ago: whenever the ball is spotted inside the 1 for the beginning of a series, the officials ALWAYS spot it at exactly the 1 yard line. Next time you see a punt downed inside the one or a defense makes a goal line stand where the last play made it inside the 1 but not into the EZ... watch where they spot the ball for the beginning of the next series.

I didn't think Conner was in-- and I certainly didn't think they'd have won the challenge (because the challenge has to prove that the ball was in the end zone for it to win... not just a bad spot... it has to be changed to/from a TD or first down in order to win the challenge)... but that spot fucked them out of 4 points.

Interesting article on statistical heaping for 5,000,000 NFL spots.

https://gutterstats.wordpress.com/2015/11/03/are-nfl-officials-biased-with-their-ball-placement/

Interesting article on the art and science of spotting:

https://www.referee.com/ball-placement-art-science/

Apparently the refs do this on purpose for everyone’s concern. It makes sense. When you can get away with spotting on a line or the dashed lines, they will do it every time. It makes the math, and measuring and the flow of the game better. I suspect when they mark it at the 1, it makes all the officials that are doing stats happy too, and if there is a half the distance penalty, or a penalty the other way, you get easy math. And when all the Centers pick up the ball and move 6-18 inches, you can always teapot properly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm 

jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They also have 5K cameras all over the stadium (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/sports/nfl/overview.html)
that can provide an exacting view of anything that happens, from almost any perspective.

^^THIS^^ The NFL is adverting their tru-view which seems like it would solve the a lot of issues. What we do not know is if they use it.

So... have a little insider info on both the ball GPS and tru-view technologies. Saw tru-view demoed a year ago. The current issue they have is: there's not fast enough processing speed and bandwidth to show it real-time or even (last I heard) as an immediate replay. When they first started, it took them a week to stitch the camera angles for a single play. Seems like now they have views from 1pm games during football night in america/SNF.

I'll tell you this, though: if they simply implemented the ball location GPS, spotting the football, goal line controversies... 99.9% a thing of the past. Like, it would go away overnight. Hell, they could light up the location on the field where the ball is spotted. All that's stopping them on that one is they don't want to end the controversy.

As for the tru-view... I HIGHLY recommend checking it out, because I guarantee it's the future of watching sports. The VR view, where you see the game as if you are the QB or a player on the field... will be totally addictive once you get your head wrapped around not seeing the game as it is traditionally presented. At minimum, watching the game normally and then in VR from the QB's perspective will be a must. It's just a matter of time until they make this fast enough to use as a replay, and probably only slightly longer until it's available as VR, and then only a short hop skip and jump to a video game version where you play QB in a real-life game, with multiple outcomes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

GPS has an accuracy of 7.9 meters. 95% of the time it has an accuracy of 3 meters. Fine for a car but not for a football.

If you are talking about an indoor positioning system the accuracy is still 1 meter at best.

To do what you want you need sensors integrated with the football and the goal lines. something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal-line_technology

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They also have 5K cameras all over the stadium (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/sports/nfl/overview.html)
that can provide an exacting view of anything that happens, from almost any perspective.

^^THIS^^ The NFL is adverting their tru-view which seems like it would solve the a lot of issues. What we do not know is if they use it.

I'll tell you this, though: if they simply implemented the ball location GPS, spotting the football, goal line controversies... 99.9% a thing of the past. Like, it would go away overnight. Hell, they could light up the location on the field where the ball is spotted. All that's stopping them on that one is they don't want to end the controversy.

Even if it is accurate enough, you would still need some sort of sensor in everyone’s knee pad or elbow pad in order to make it work, or you would need to tweak the rules to spot the ball where it is when it stops or hits the ground.

Am I missing something? Or are you describing it as supplemental or in conjunction with tru-view?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:26 pm 

If you know the ball's exact position at all times, the video is less relevant. Sure, you still have to know when forward progress is stopped and when a player is down, but you'd be able to freeze-frame at the instant you think player is down or OOB and you'll know exactly where the ball is in relationship to the line to gain.

It's fairly easy to see when a player is down, and that timestamp tells you where the ball is located. It would be especially useful for the goal line... did the ball cross the goal line at any time before the whistle/end of forward progress? 6 RFID chips and the answer is definitive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 am 

Quote:
@steelers
Since 1970, only five NFL players have rushed for at least 100 yards & 2 TD in three of their team's first six games of the season:

James Conner (2018)
Chris Johnson (2010)
Shaun Alexander (2005)
Priest Holmes (2004)
Emmitt Smith (1995)

https://twitter.com/steelers/status/105 ... by-bell%2F
Quote:
Connor is Better than Bell!
In a word? Yes! IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Apparently the refs do this on purpose for everyone’s concern. It makes sense. When you can get away with spotting on a line or the dashed lines, they will do it every time. It makes the math, and measuring and the flow of the game better. I suspect when they mark it at the 1, it makes all the officials that are doing stats happy too, and if there is a half the distance penalty, or a penalty the other way, you get easy math. And when all the Centers pick up the ball and move 6-18 inches, you can always teapot properly.

However, that ball being spotted at the 1 when it was really down at the 6 inch line is a huge difference. Frankly, anytime it's inside the 10 yard line, I think it should be mandatory to mark it accurately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:35 pm 

jebrick wrote:
GPS has an accuracy of 7.9 meters. 95% of the time it has an accuracy of 3 meters. Fine for a car but not for a football.

If you are talking about an indoor positioning system the accuracy is still 1 meter at best.

To do what you want you need sensors integrated with the football and the goal lines. something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal-line_technology

Leave it to you, Jeemie... technically, I'm talking RFID and sensors like the Cyclops system in tennis. I used the term GPS loosely, because I figured more people would understand what I was talking about.